ADVERTISEMENT

Justin pierce

I agree. I know some people react negatively to comments like this, but I think that would be in Huff's best interests.

Moreover, in Huff's shoes, I would be researching which schools have shown success teaching good hands. I'm convinced that skill is at least somewhat teachable, but we don't seem to know how, or don't emphasize it for guys like Huff and Joel James. Maybe there's a school out there who can help him with that. That and another year of maturing and practicing could be the ticket for Huff.

While we're talking transfers, if we sign Pierce, I think BRob should give that some thought, too. It looks like Keeling will take away the starting spot at SG. If Pierce comes on board, that takes away backup minutes at SF. BRob is absolutely good enough to start at SF for a lot of schools. And not necessarily low level schools, either. So if those assessments of PT seem correct, he should probably follow Seventh's lead. Just because it's not his turn here doesn't mean it can't be his turn somewhere else.

Brob was Keeling's host and Keeling's camp has said that Brob was very positive in his presentation to Keeling. They said it was sort of shocking that Brob would be so positive towards a player that would be coming in to take some of his minutes. Brob is a tremendous asset to the program and my read is that he understands his role and his limitations. If I was a betting man, I would say that Brob knows his limitations and would not be upset if he does not get a starting position. He will get his minutes. B-Rob is 6-4 and weighs 175 lbs and gets the majority of his points on wide open shots. There is a clear role for Brob. On the other hand, Huff needs a breakout year.

Last edited:
I expected Sev to transfer last year at this time. If Huff or BRob are considering a transfer, I would do it now, allowing myself two years at my new school.
Arch, I lose track but isn't Brob a senior this year?

Very anxious to see why we shouldn't want this kid Gary.
I laid it out above. Just don't see him as anything special, TBH. Keeling I thought was a very good pickup --- but this guy just isn't needed. With the last three commits our roster is now very strong, and importantly, strengthened without risking damage to player development and chemistry.

At some point it's time to stop shopping just because you have some extra spending money --- that practice can do more harm than good. Next thing ya know kids will start transferring out like uk and dook. More immediately we are fine right now and strong and deep enough at every spot. BRob and Leaky are good players developed through our system and I would take either at the 3 tomorrow.

wow @gary-7 thats pretty disrespectful towards roy and the staff dont u think? You think they would interject themselves into a kids life and bball career not to mention introduce him into the unc program and family just cause they have the “extra spending money” to do so?

I laid it out above. Just don't see him as anything special, TBH. Keeling I thought was a very good pickup --- but this guy just isn't needed. With the last three commits our roster is now very strong, and importantly, strengthened without risking damage to player development and chemistry.

At some point it's time to stop shopping just because you have some extra spending money --- that practice can do more harm than good. Next thing ya know kids will start transferring out like uk and dook. More immediately we are fine right now and strong and deep enough at every spot. BRob and Leaky are good players developed through our system and I would take either at the 3 tomorrow.

Gary, I respect your opinion, but in this case, Roy disagrees with you. If Pierce accepts the offer, it's a done deal. If Pierce does not accept, let's see if Roy continues to seek out a similar player before the season starts. Roy is not promising Pierce a starting position.

Last edited:

Was hoping for something more that perhaps Roy overlooked.

Roy wants him and that's good enough for me.

Gary, I respect your opinion, but in this case, Roy disagrees with you. If Pierce accepts the offer, it's a done deal. If Pierce does not accept, let's see if Roy continues to seek out a similar player before the season starts. Roy is not promising Pierce a starting position.
No, Roy is not promising him a starting job, or even a set 10 or 15 minutes per game.

Perhaps Roy is offering primarily because his William&Mary coach, Tony Shaver, is a UNC grad who made the team as a walk on and is a 100% class act, and Roy wants to help out perhaps Shaver's best all around player. But perhaps Roy feels that Pierce can help the team next year, that he could play major minutes even if everyone remains healthy all year.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
No, Roy is not promising him a starting job, or even a set 10 or 15 minutes per game.

Perhaps Roy is offering primarily because his William&Mary coach, Tony Shaver, is a UNC grad who made the team as a walk on and is a 100% class act, and Roy wants to help out perhaps Shaver's best all around player. But perhaps Roy feels that Pierce can help the team next year, that he could play major minutes even if everyone remains healthy all year.

Read my comments again. That's what I said. Roy is NOT promising him a starting position. My understanding is that Roy told him this over the phone and he still decided to come on the OV.. Very telling.

wow @gary-7 thats pretty disrespectful towards roy and the staff dont u think? You think they would interject themselves into a kids life and bball career not to mention introduce him into the unc program and family just cause they have the “extra spending money” to do so?

He simply gave his opinion, one that was asked for on multiple occasions, no need to take shots.

roy.jpg.cf.jpg

If Roy wants him, I want him.

T.I.R.

Brob was Keeling's host and Keeling's camp has said that Brob was very positive in his presentation to Keeling. They said it was sort of shocking that Brob would be so positive towards a player that would be coming in to take some of his minutes. Brob is a tremendous asset to the program and my read is that he understands his role and his limitations. If I was a betting man, I would say that Brob knows his limitations and would not be upset if he does not get a starting position. He will get his minutes. B-Rob is 6-4 and weighs 175 lbs and gets the majority of his points on wide open shots. There is a clear role for Brob. On the other hand, Huff needs a breakout year.
Great to hear that about BRob.

I think depth is often overlooked. Roy already has shown no issue playing 9/10 guys throughout the season and if one of Leaky/BRob/Keeling get hurt next year suddenly we are super thin if we don't get Pierce.

I agree with Gary that the last thing we want is Leaky/BRob transferring out and if we're healthy, that our team is VERY good right now. Can't guarantee health though and too much depth is not a bad thing.

Reactions: gauchoheel

Agree on the BRob thoughts, it may have been a larger issue prior to last season than it is now, just due to BRob had a much more productive season the one past.

On Huff, you quoted a post you were replying to, it spoke of Huff having bad hands. I don't believe in bad hands for easier catches, pretty much what is thrown to Huff. Now complicated passes, would not call the receiver in terms of bad hands but more in terms of good hands to catch a difficult pass, but not many of those are thrown to Huff. Bad hands on simple catches, again mostly what is thrown to Huff, is a symptom of the problem not real core issue, the real issue is rushing mentally resulting in rushing physically. Solve the underlying real problem and the symptoms go away. That is much easier said than done by the way! LOL

I don't think Huff has bad hands, before anyone goes off, listen for a minute. Thing with Huff, have seen it in several others as well, as in Joel James, it is more that when he touches the ball he feels he needs to hurry and get right in to some kind of move, like a wide receiver that wants to run before he has the pass secured. Huff rushes his actions when the ball hits his hands, thing is he fumbles it and rather than being able to get in to something positive quickly, it takes him more time and throws his timing off, and from there it is a downward spiral.

You can teach a big man till you blue in the face, secure the ball, there is no need to rush, matter of fact you could almost go in to slow motion, if you did you would be more solid with your movements. Slow down to speed up, do your thing but do it under control! But let them get in to a game and they revert right back to rushing.

One of the best ever to teach that, as well as most big man moves was Bill Gutheridge, he was a master at working with our big men building their confidence in new skills. I can say with no hesitation, we do not have a Bill Gutheridge on our staff, not sure who is our primary big man developer (I am guessing maybe Sean May) but they seem to teach defense much better than developing big man offensive skills like drop step, jump hooks, ect...

Agree on the BRob thoughts, it may have been a larger issue prior to last season than it is now, just due to BRob had a much more productive season the one past.

On Huff, you quoted a post you were replying to, it spoke of Huff having bad hands. I don't believe in bad hands for easier catches, pretty much what is thrown to Huff. Now complicated passes, would not call the receiver in terms of bad hands but more in terms of good hands to catch a difficult pass, but not many of those are thrown to Huff. Bad hands on simple catches, again mostly what is thrown to Huff, is a symptom of the problem not real core issue, the real issue is rushing mentally resulting in rushing physically. Solve the underlying real problem and the symptoms go away. That is much easier said than done by the way! LOL

I don't think Huff has bad hands, before anyone goes off, listen for a minute. Thing with Huff, have seen it in several others as well, as in Joel James, it is more that when he touches the ball he feels he needs to hurry and get right in to some kind of move, like a wide receiver that wants to run before he has the pass secured. Huff rushes his actions when the ball hits his hands, thing is he fumbles it and rather than being able to get in to something positive quickly, it takes him more time and throws his timing off, and from there it is a downward spiral.

You can teach a big man till you blue in the face, secure the ball, there is no need to rush, matter of fact you could almost go in to slow motion, if you did you would be more solid with your movements. Slow down to speed up, do your thing but do it under control! But let them get in to a game and they revert right back to rushing.

One of the best ever to teach that, as well as most big man moves was Bill Gutheridge, he was a master at working with our big men building their confidence in new skills. I can say with no hesitation, we do not have a Bill Gutheridge on our staff, not sure who is our primary big man developer (I am guessing maybe Sean May) but they seem to teach defense much better than developing big man offensive skills like drop step, jump hooks, ect...

Nice analysis Dave, but my comments were very minimal about Huff and to the point. I don't have the smarts to analyse situations like you and some of the other posters. :) I like to keep it simple and stupid. As I said above, Huff needs to step up this year and make that leap to the next level. If not, he may not see the floor next year unless there is a 30-point blowout. A transfer may be the best thing for him if he does not make that leap this season.

If Pierce signs that would put us at 12 scholarships if I’m counting right.... Would still give Roy a chance to give one to a walk-on for a year!!

More then likely predicting the lineup could be starting:

Cole
Keeling
Piece(if he commits)
Brooks
Bacot

And coming off bench would be:
Harris
BRob
Black
Manley
Platek
Huffman
Francis(if he doesn’t redshirt)

That would mean probably a 9 man rotation with Platek and Huffman having an opportunity to earn more PT over summer and fall practice.

So I’m conclusion I don’t see any reason not to take Pierce if Roy offers and he accepts!!!

If Pierce signs that would put us at 12 scholarships if I’m counting right.... Would still give Roy a chance to give one to a walk-on for a year!!

More then likely predicting the lineup could be starting:

Cole
Keeling
Piece(if he commits)
Brooks
Bacot

And coming off bench would be:
Harris
BRob
Black
Manley
Platek
Huffman
Francis(if he doesn’t redshirt)

That would mean probably a 9 man rotation with Platek and Huffman having an opportunity to earn more PT over summer and fall practice.

So I’m conclusion I don’t see any reason not to take Pierce if Roy offers and he accepts!!!

Rush

The main way I see Pierce affecting BRob is that with Pierce on board, BRob won't be required to play a lot of minutes at SF, if any.

BRob did very nicely for us last season, mostly as backup SG. With Keeling in the mix, BRob is likely to spend his senior year mostly as backup SG again - UNLESS we need him at SF.

We definitely need BRob at SF if Leaky is the only SF on the team. (Assuming none of our walkons breaks out.)

We also need BRob at SF if neither Sterling and Huff are good enough to play all the backup minutes in the post. Because that will mean moving Brooks to the post and either Pierce (if we have him) or Leaky to PF.
Actually BRob's best minutes were at the 3, and that is his most comfortable spot. He and Leaky should have that covered just fine.

Nice analysis Dave, but my comments were very minimal about Huff and to the point. I don't have the smarts to analyse situations like you and some of the other posters. :) I like to keep it simple and stupid. As I said above, Huff needs to step up this year and make that leap to the next level. If not, he may not see the floor next year unless there is a 30-point blowout. A transfer may be the best thing for him if he does not make that leap this season.

Steat, I suspect you may have limitations but I am not thinking smarts to be one of them! I noticed your final comment concerning Huff's hands and it is a thing I have seen many other theme so I took the op to talk about that. Heck, I saw Naz do the same thing several times last season and Naz actually has potentially a great set of hands. It pretty much always falls on either indecision, rushing, or lack of confidence.

Reactions: Steat
Was hoping for something more that perhaps Roy overlooked.

Roy wants him and that's good enough for me.
Grad transfers are a tricky proposition in our system. Sometimes they work, but assuming that any transfer is gonna be better than what you have is often fool's gold. We should also remember that most aren't gonna have the luxury of a second season to adapt and/or get better like Cam did.

Again, I'm fine with a GT here and there when specific need arises --- and it appears we accomplished that with Keeling --- but getting one just because you have the room is just not something I'm enthusiastic about. I prefer our history of developing players within the system and culture.

Analogies elude you, so it would seem.

Pierce is ranked as one of the top 5 or 6 GTs on every site I've seen.

He's pretty dang good, folks.

Krazy _Legs, I understand your enthusiasm concerning Pierce. Just remember: That ranking is relative only to the talent level that those entering the GT talent pool have. This year is not like some previous years, where you had a plethora of really good and talented players across the board available. Not so much this year in regards to F's & HF's.

So, while we could certainly use a player like him, given we have a spot open, I personally do not feel he will displace either BRob or Leaky as a starter. He has too much ground to make up and is not as talented as a Leaky Black is. He would make a great sub for either BRob or Leaky. I do not see him as a starter, but a sub for the wing.

Reactions: unchampions

...out of respect there is not an "e" in Guthridge... He was a tremendous big man Coach. However, we have a couple of guys who can still teach big man moves down low.

I'm not disrespectful of his game, but I'm of the opinion that Pierce is better off at ND or Michigan. If he wants to be on a big time team and is comfortable contributing off the bench ( if that's what Roy chooses ) then I'd love to have him. But B Rob and Leaky deserve playing time, especially a senior to be Robinson. But Roy knows best, and if he wants Pierce he obviously knows what the kid can bring to the table.

I'm not disrespectful of his game, but I'm of the opinion that Pierce is better off at ND or Michigan. If he wants to be on a big time team and is comfortable contributing off the bench ( if that's what Roy chooses ) then I'd love to have him. But B Rob and Leaky deserve playing time, especially a senior to be Robinson. But Roy knows best, and if he wants Pierce he obviously knows what the kid can bring to the table.

Interesting comment about deserving playing time because he’s a senior. Just has to be best players play, don’t you think? We live in an era of freshmen coming in and starting. Certainly a Grad Transfer is going to challenge for that time and these GT’s are coming in as proven entities. I understand your point, for sure. I like the addition of talent that forces the highest level of competition.

Some of you dodo birds are selling Justin Pierce short, in a big way.
If a 6-7 guy can hit 3s, and he passes well and hustles on D, then he can help any team short of a Dream Team.

Pierce is not going to be all ACC at any school. But then again, neither are the vast majority of UNC players currently on the roster.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
If a 6-7 guy can hit 3s, and he passes well and hustles on D, then he can help any team short of a Dream Team.

Pierce is not going to be all ACC at any school. But then again, neither are the vast majority of UNC players currently on the roster.

Bingo. Pierce isn’t a world beater, but he is a kid that does a lot of things well and by all accounts has a high basketball IQ and experience to know where we need him most, which could change in certain matchups, etc. any time you can add high quality depth and versatility, you do it.

Who backs up Leaky at SF?

Who backs up Garrison at PF?

Who backs up Armando at C?

Pierce may not be a star, but he makes it easier to have decent answers to those questions.

Who backs up Leaky at SF?

Who backs up Garrison at PF?

Who backs up Armando at C?

Pierce may not be a star, but he makes it easier to have decent answers to those questions.

All those questions become really important with the start of next season because every ACC team will have an extra 2 conference games to play....

Lots of assumptions in this post since we really don't know who's going to start yet.

I think the point is some don't feel great about our depth heading into next season. I'm one of them, even if I also haven't seen Pierce enough (no one has) to get super excited about him yet.

Can't predict injury and we're a wing injury away from being super thin.

Lots of assumptions in this post since we really don't know who's going to start yet.
Without Pierce, I'd give odds (if I gambled) that those guys - Leaky, Garrison and Armando - all start.

Wouldn't you?

It's possible that BRob starts at SF now that we have Keeling. But that probably means Leaky is expected to play at PF a lot more than I'd like to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT