ADVERTISEMENT

Justin pierce

I know I'm being "that guy," but Carolina has won fewer than 25 games twice since 2006 -- 20 wins in 2010 and 24 wins in 2014. Noentheless, I think you make a good point that 25 wins is typically a good baseline for a Roy Williams-coached team. It is important to note that there will be fewer out of conference games this season with the increase to 20 league games, though I don't know how this will affect Carolina's win total, if at all.

2 points, first I would caution against our going to far, we are riding the crest of good news now but we do have a habit of swinging from 1 extreme to the other, ID reminds us the sky may not now be falling, the tone was that it was a couple weeks ago. It is going to take this team a while to gell and y9ou know Roy and his early season lineups.

Second, We will be starting 1 and only 1 player that has ever started for us, Brooks. It is very possible that we could start 4 players that have never played a single game as a Tar Heel. IN addition we have 3 freshmen coming, 1 may well red shirt, 2 grad transfers, and 3 lightly used reserves, to go along with BRob and Brooks. We are having to replace nearly all of our scoring and most of our rebounding.

Now I do think Cole will do a great job as floor leader but senior leadership now becomes BRob. No offense to the kid but fact is we are having to replace sr leadership from Luke, Kenny, and Cam. Can not over state the value for example of Kenny's influence on Coby, even 7th was important to the development of Coby in practices and as a solid in many games reserve. Brooks as a JR will have to step up and provide front court leadership, maybe even Leaky as a soph.

While we may think we know, who is that guy (likely Cole) that will put us on his back when things bog down? It will be interesting to see if guys like Keeling or Pierce can at times give us some of that, couple of guys with extensive college experience, in games more so than Brooks or BRob but brand new to UNC.

WE have a lot of questions going in to the season, would suggest we have some talented potential answers to all or at least most of those questions but we will not know if they are real answers until play begins. I can't wait to find out for sure!

2 points, first I would caution against our going to far, we are riding the crest of good news now but we do have a habit of swinging from 1 extreme to the other, ID reminds us the sky may not now be falling, the tone was that it was a couple weeks ago. It is going to take this team a while to gell and y9ou know Roy and his early season lineups.

Second, We will be starting 1 and only 1 player that has ever started for us, Brooks. It is very possible that we could start 4 players that have never played a single game as a Tar Heel. IN addition we have 3 freshmen coming, 1 may well red shirt, 2 grad transfers, and 3 lightly used reserves, to go along with BRob and Brooks. We are having to replace nearly all of our scoring and most of our rebounding.

Now I do think Cole will do a great job as floor leader but senior leadership now becomes BRob. No offense to the kid but fact is we are having to replace sr leadership from Luke, Kenny, and Cam. Can not over state the value for example of Kenny's influence on Coby, even 7th was important to the development of Coby in practices and as a solid in many games reserve. Brooks as a JR will have to step up and provide front court leadership, maybe even Leaky as a soph.

While we may think we know, who is that guy (likely Cole) that will put us on his back when things bog down? It will be interesting to see if guys like Keeling or Pierce can at times give us some of that, couple of guys with extensive college experience, in games more so than Brooks or BRob but brand new to UNC.

WE have a lot of questions going in to the season, would suggest we have some talented potential answers to all or at least most of those questions but we will not know if they are real answers until play begins. I can't wait to find out for sure!

Great post Dave. This is a good look at how our team stands as of right now in early May.

Reactions: Archer2

Good post. One thing though, Brob doesn't have to be our only senior leader. Keeling and Pierce are also seniors. I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that when talking about us potentially lacking leadership or experience.

Of course, they don't have experience in the program. That doesn't mean they can't be leaders though, look at Coby's leadership last year. We also just saw a Texas Tech team with a bunch of newcomers. You think Mooney and Owens weren't leaders? I'll bet they were.

And one good thing is I'm sure Keeling and Pierce will be ultra hungry for wins, given how little winning they've tasted in college basketball. It will be important for their legacy and playing in a Final Four will make them more marketable on and off the court than a first round exit. We also now don't have a single player other than BRob that's played in a Final Four. I would bet the juniors, in particular Brooks, are hungry to win like the classes ahead of them did.

Bottomline this team is not experienced together and will take time to get chemistry. But for a top college basketball team to start three upperclassman in this day and age (and probably five of the nine main rotation players), we should have plenty of veteran leadership.

That’s higher than many here.
Probably. But who cares if you predict something? It’s not like he has an actual source, he was just pulling info from 247. There are maybe 2 or three insiders across all UNC sports that post here. Everyone else is just guessing. It’s a bad look to run around thumping your chest IMO.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Probably. But who cares if you predict something? It’s not like he has an actual source, he was just pulling info from 247. There are maybe 2 or three insiders across all UNC sports that post here. Everyone else is just guessing. It’s a bad look to run around thumping your chest IMO.

Ticket, I could care less what you think.

There is not one insjder on our Premium site or the TOS Premium site that predicted Pierce to the Heels.The renowned Evan Daniels didn't even predict it. They had access to the same information that I was reading and didn't make a prediction. The last prediction that the grandfather made on TOS was 50/50!

Put me on ignore. The ignore feature is the best feature on the site. I ignore several posters, some for several years. You have taken several "unprovoked" shots at me that I have ignored, but I thought I would respond this one time and it will be the last time I respond to you on this topic.

You damm right I was guessing, but it was an educated guess after I digested the information that the grandfather was putting out there. There were hundreds of folks reading the information that the grandfather was putting out there. Heck, the thread had over 100,000 hits! But not one poster came out as definitive as I did on the prediction.

I got it right and you are pissed that I am beating my chest for 1-2 freaking days?

On the other hand, if I would have gotten it wrong I would have taken a beating and I would have deserved it.

I have tried to avoid you, but you keep taking shots at me on this site and on the Premium board.

What I did was read carefully what the grandfather was saying and made a prediction. It was a prediction that I made before his OV and didnt waiver. I even dropped a comment in JUST before Pierce made his announcement that some folks on this site was going to eat some crow.

I don't rock the boat on this site and rarely go back and forth with posters on this site.

I invested $5 in the lottery and won. You invested nothing in the lottery and pissed that I won.

Last edited:
Reactions: shun1 and TheGLOV
I’m not offended by people who post opinions or predictions that are very bold, even if they turn out to be wrong. That doesn’t bother me one bit. What does bother me is posters who seem to feel it is their duty to tell those people how very wrong they are before the issue has ever been decided.

I take every opinion posted here with a huge grain of salt, and I mean every opinion.

Ticket, I could care less what you think.

There is not one insjder on our Premium site or the TOS Premium site that predicted Pierce to the Heels.The renowned Evan Daniels didn't even predict it. They had access to the same information that I was reading and didn't make a prediction. The last prediction that the grandfather made on TOS was 50/50!

Put me on ignore. The ignore feature is the best feature on the site. I ignore several posters, some for several years. You have taken several "unprovoked" shots at me that I have ignored, but I thought I would respond this one time and it will be the last time I respond to you on this topic.

You damm right I was guessing, but it was an educated guess after I digested the information that the grandfather was putting out there. There were hundreds of folks reading the information that the grandfather was putting out there. Heck, the thread had over 100,000 hits! But not one poster came out as definitive as I did on the prediction.

I got it right and you are pissed that I am beating my chest for 1-2 freaking days?

On the other hand, if I would have gotten it wrong I would have taken a beating and I would have deserved it.

I have tried to avoid you, but you keep taking shots at me on this site and on the Premium board.

What I did was read carefully what the grandfather was saying and made a prediction. It was a prediction that I made before his OV and didnt waiver. I even dropped a comment in JUST before Pierce made his announcement that some folks on this site was going to eat some crow.

I don't rock the boat on this site and rarely go back and forth with posters on this site.

I invested $5 in the lottery and won. You invested nothing in the lottery and pissed that I won.
I am far from pissed. I could not care less whether you are right or wrong. I’m pointing out that you look silly thumping your chest. Take it how you will.

Reactions: carolinablue34
He said he sees himself filling a void left by maye, cam, and little leaving. He wouldnt say that if he hadnt been told that i would think. If so that tells me a lot about where the staff see him fitting in. Dude might start at the 4. He did lead w&m in rebounding. I think hes has huge potential to make immediate impact given he’s familiar with the system.

He said he sees himself filling a void left by maye, cam, and little leaving. He wouldnt say that if he hadnt been told that i would think. If so that tells me a lot about where the staff see him fitting in. Dude might start at the 4. He did lead w&m in rebounding. I think hes has huge potential to make immediate impact given he’s familiar with the system.

I think he starts, but I think it will be at the 3. Even if does not start, he will probably get at least 20-minutes a game.

Watching his misdirection, both with his passes and with some of his shots and finishes around the rim reminds me of a former all time great. In no way, shape or form am I comparing him overall with that monster player. I simply see some flashes in his game that remind me of the other player. And I really like seeing it.

I think he will be very good for us. Wish we had the luxury of having him for 2 years, but Cam's situation was unusual and unlikely to be repeated any time soon.

Reactions: gauchoheel
That video is a little one-sided. If you watch the whole video, he wasnt the best player in the games he played. He wasnt even the top 5 best in that scrimmage/pickup game. He is really gonna have to work on his cardio and defense if he wants a lot of playing time. Shot is nice and potential is there, but I just hope he hasnt topped out on his athleticism. I am hoping he can get his motor running as he looked lazy a lot in that game and then for a burst he would got the hole and shoot 3's but then get lazy again on defense. There were a couple of dudes that could shoot the crap out of the ball in that video. I want one of those. I miss wes miller.

That video is a little one-sided. If you watch the whole video, he wasnt the best player in the games he played. He wasnt even the top 5 best in that scrimmage/pickup game. He is really gonna have to work on his cardio and defense if he wants a lot of playing time. Shot is nice and potential is there, but I just hope he hasnt topped out on his athleticism. I am hoping he can get his motor running as he looked lazy a lot in that game and then for a burst he would got the hole and shoot 3's but then get lazy again on defense. There were a couple of dudes that could shoot the crap out of the ball in that video. I want one of those. I miss wes miller.

Your Crazy he was the best player and he is for sure not going full speed...

Made for video basic exercise , gentleman's agreement on amount of Defense played, Not one of those guys shirts are even damp..

Not saying the guy cant play. He definitely has some good passing skills and he can definitely shoot (from this video) Motor and defense. Dude from delaware is 6'7" and looked a bit bigger than Justin and could shoot it like crazy. Justin looked exhausted and I dont know how long they had been playing but my concern was for his cardio level. The best shooter was probably the dude wearing black pants and black shirt. Form was perfect. Grey tank top was pretty awesome too. Just saying that he is gonna have to change that motor for him to be an impact player for us this year. IF...and its a big IF...Cole can be that amazing drive an dish to the wing PG then Justin can definitely thrive in the role as a shooter.

Justin is a role player and nothing more. The type of player that every NCAA title team has.

Justin is a role player and nothing more. The type of player that every NCAA title team has.

Kid really reminds me of Matt Doherty (the player not the coach). Matt could shoot it as well, just was not the primary option on a team absolutely loaded with scorers.

Reactions: Steat
Kid really reminds me of Matt Doherty (the player not the coach). Matt could shoot it as well, just was not the primary option on a team absolutely loaded with scorers.

I think Leaky is another player that reminds folks of Doherty.

There have been some on this board expecting Pierce to start. I think that is pretty shortsighted and doesn’t give Leaky enough credit. I would expect Leaky to start at SF and BRob to start at SG, at least early in the season.

my concern was for his cardio level - Just saying that he is gonna have to change that motor for him to be an impact player for us this year.

Always a strength of the UNC staff - getting their players conditioned.

He has a quick trigger, he can get his own shot, Hes ahead of the game with what we have.. He was ranked top 5 for grad Transfers and Keeling was right there, we need 25 out of that compo a game... To average 80-83 Pts a game and Cole getting 20 those 2 need to combine for that..

No idea what to expect from him versus ACC caliber competition, but he's a Heel now so let's lace 'em up and go Mr. Pierce!

ACC caliber opponents will gear their defense toward stopping Cole , then the Front line, if you are the 4th option in the mind of the Defense then you can go off.... I am sure He was Option 1 or 2 his last 3 years..

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT