ADVERTISEMENT

Lance

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
so he used waaaay before he had cancer...lying pos.

iirc, he only admitted epo after testicular cancer.

Nah he’s admitted to using it way before then. They had to forge the prescription for cortisone cream for “saddle sores” during one of the first tours that he won.

Literally the entire field was doped to the gills so it was pretty much a level playing field anyways. Professional endurance sports are a dirty business. The elite marathoners aren’t any cleaner than he was.

Such a shame too. If he had just admitted it from the start and not been such a dick about it, I think most of us would eventually forgive him.

It's almost inevitable that all those top dudes were juicing, so Lance was still the best cheater of all the cheaters. He should've just come clean and showed some remorse.

I just started it so I’m behind you guys. Seems like this one isn’t just gonna be a puff piece though.

Who else wore a Livestrong bracelet for years? I think I wore one straight through middle school and high school. Even used to wear it on the baseball field.

Who else wore a Livestrong bracelet for years? I think I wore one straight through middle school and high school. Even used to wear it on the baseball field.
That was probably the worst thing that happened from all of this. That was a good charity, but it was destroyed because of him.

That was probably the worst thing that happened from all of this. That was a good charity, but it was destroyed because of him.

The foundation is still rolling. Just shows how powerful the cult of personality is though, since so many people stopped giving money because Lance was no longer the poster boy.

i did...mom was diagnosed with cancer in 2005, started then...she/we were inspired by him and his battle.

i did...mom was diagnosed with cancer in 2005, started then...she/we were inspired by him and his battle.

My aunt had breast cancer not long after his downfall if I remember the timing correctly. By then nobody gave a shit about his cancer story.

I wonder if this will open some eyes for the people who are naive about PED's in professional sports. At some point they're going to mention the fact that the most famous doper of all time never failed a single drug test. That might get some wheels turning for the general public.

Highly recommend the documentary 'Icarus' if you haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: gteeitup
I wonder if this will open some eyes for the people who are naive about PED's in professional sports. At some point they're going to mention the fact that the most famous doper of all time never failed a single drug test. That might get some wheels turning for the general public.

Highly recommend the documentary 'Icarus' if you haven't seen it yet.

icarus is outstanding

Reactions: uncboy10

AccomplishedBetterClingfish-size_restricted.gif

What did he take? He seems healthy. And he rode up mountains like he was on a Kawasaki. I would gladly give up three years on the back end of life to have his vitality

Because of him? I'd argue that the PEDs helped him rise to national fame and allowed that charity to come to life. If that's the cost of doing them, then I'm cool with it. Lance gets a pass in my book.

That dude raised over $500M to help fight cancer. He could inject horse tranqs for all I care if the end result was what Livestrong became.

Reactions: uncboy10
I liked the way he said over and over if he had it to do over again, he wouldn't change a thing.

Then at the very end he talks about what he should have done differently.

Nah he’s admitted to using it way before then. They had to forge the prescription for cortisone cream for “saddle sores” during one of the first tours that he won.

Literally the entire field was doped to the gills so it was pretty much a level playing field anyways. Professional endurance sports are a dirty business. The elite marathoners aren’t any cleaner than he was.
Interesting. I agree that all the bikers were doping, or else couldn't compete. You could say the same about the Olympics for a lot of years (maybe still?) and of course PEDs in baseball and football.
@uncboy10 - Regarding the comment on elite distance runners - I have no reason to dispute or deny it - and generally believe it. But curious - have you seen or heard reports on the top marathoners doping? Or is it more of a good hunch / common sense?

Interesting. I agree that all the bikers were doping, or else couldn't compete. You could say the same about the Olympics for a lot of years (maybe still?) and of course PEDs in baseball and football.
@uncboy10 - Regarding the comment on elite distance runners - I have no reason to dispute or deny it - and generally believe it. But curious - have you seen or heard reports on the top marathoners doping? Or is it more of a good hunch / common sense?

I'd say mostly hunch/common sense.

Some of the top programs like the Nike Oregon Project have always been pretty sketchy, and the accusations have never been far behind. The problem is that its practically impossible to catch dopers unless they screw up their protocols, or there is some kind of breakthrough in testing that they aren't aware of in advance.

One thing that's interesting is that most of the testing falls on an athlete's home nation anti-doping agency. The anti-doping agency in Kenya (for example) really has no interest in busting it's top athletes out of competition. By the time competition rolls around and WADA gets involved, they've had plenty of time to reap the benefits of PED's in training, and clean them out of their system.

If you know that's a possibility, and you also know that elite distance runners can't possibly compete with other elite runners who are doping, then there's really no reason to assume the top guys/women are clean. Just look at Kipchoge's performance in the sub2 project. It was a massive performance breakthrough for the marathon distance. Significantly faster than any time ever ran by any athlete, clean or doped. Is Kipchoge so gifted that he can outrun the fastest doped athletes by several minutes while he is not on PED's? That sounds like the things Lance Armstrong supporters were saying during his run of TDF wins. 'He's just so good he can beat the doped competition.' I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT