ADVERTISEMENT

Leaky is starting for the Hornets!

Tonight as Charlotte hosts LeBron and the Lakers. Game will be on BallySports.
Do you remember last season when the resident ESPN janitor laughed at the mention of him even making an NBA roster. Who's laughing now? 🤣

I’ll admit I did not expect him to make an NBA roster. I could be snarky and question if the Hornets are an NBA roster right now, but that would be beside the point. I didn’t expect him to be more than a camp body at that level at any point, instead he’s starting a game. Great job Leaky!

Reactions: Tarheels39
Leaky always had the size to be an NBA player.

I do think he struggled with his role at UNC, he may have struggled with confidence too.

Due to those two factors, I believe he never utilised his natural gifts enough - except on defense.

Dare I say it... he may have been underutilised as a Tar Heel, whereas in the NBA his length and slashing ability are coming to the fore.

All that said, him being on an NBA roster, getting the start and the opportunity to push for a further contract is fabulous and I hope he does brilliantly.

Reactions: Mistercvr4
Reactions: gunslingerdick
I stated my opinion as to the excitement level between our getting Garcia and Manek and I 1000% believe the excitement level was a good bit less for Manek. I never said Garcia was not talented, he is very talented. This has nothing to do with how the kid is playing today for the team he now plays for. But there were chemistry issues with him at UNC and he was very upset that he was not going to get his starting role back from Manek after missing a couple games. I gave this very opinion of Garcia directly after that official announcement was made and got a ton of push back for saying it. It was smoke then and it still is and I get why they treated it this way because it allowed for there to be no bad guy, it glossed over the chemistry issues that had popped up and allowed everyone to move on.

But there were no calls from his team mates to him, from his team mates own mouths, Garcia did not call his team mates either, not even to wish them good luck in their natty run. IN fact when our players were asked if Garcia had called them they laughed before they said no.

Do you remember last season when the resident ESPN janitor laughed at the mention of him even making an NBA roster. Who's laughing now? 🤣
Always said he will get a long look, was laughed at. The NBA is better at shooting coaches, they just are, unlimited time to work on your craft.Theo will tell you that. 100% time with specialized shooting coaches, they fully believe they can improve a shot, G league or bench and they do. His skill set and length on dee you can not teach.

Always said he will get a long look, was laughed at. The NBA is better at shooting coaches, they just are, unlimited time to work on your craft.Theo will tell you that. 100% time with specialized shooting coaches, they fully believe they can improve a shot, G league or bench and they do. His skill set and length on dee you can not teach.
You just addressed one of the biggest falsehoods people blabbler about on this board: how players cannot improve their shot after high school.... its soooo wrong.

Just look at the number of NBA big men who couldn't shoot a lick in HS and College who are now spotting up behind the arc....

Truth be told, shooting ability shouldn't be a draftable skill, besides the ultra elite.... coachability should be the most scrutinised skill for the NBA (that, and leaky-like dimensions) Because if a player is coachable they'll work on their shot and improve.

That's why I believe a sophmore EC will be a killer. I can imagine him putting up shots till his arms fall off over the summer.

Reactions: Steat and dtodd4475
You just addressed one of the biggest falsehoods people blabbler about on this board: how players cannot improve their shot after high school.... its soooo wrong.

Just look at the number of NBA big men who couldn't shoot a lick in HS and College who are now spotting up behind the arc....

Truth be told, shooting ability shouldn't be a draftable skill, besides the ultra elite.... coachability should be the most scrutinised skill for the NBA (that, and leaky-like dimensions) Because if a player is coachable they'll work on their shot and improve.

That's why I believe a sophmore EC will be a killer. I can imagine him putting up shots till his arms fall off over the summer.
Also you have unlimited specialized coaching time. No NCAA limits or Geography classes to attend, if you want to work it's there, just no limelight to do it in. Focused skill sets with 6 figure specialized coaches paid for by the team, on top of your practice/ games. You are a pro, this is the work. Daily

Reactions: Ozheelfan
You know what you're talking about without bias and the trolling we see around this board. The clowns who laughed at him are hiding now.

You know what you're talking about without bias and the trolling we see around this board. The clowns who laughed at him are hiding now.
Not to take anything away from Leaky but aren’t there like 8 rotational guys that are injured on the Hornets? I saw the Grizzlies had 13 guys on their injury report the other day.

Good for Leaky starting.

Not to take anything away from Leaky but aren’t there like 8 rotational guys that are injured on the Hornets? I saw the Grizzlies had 13 guys on their injury report the other day.

Good for Leaky starting.
Yep, he's no lock to stick throughout. Gotta keep on the grind, and keep improving, but he has his foot in the door.

Excellent post!

The more you work on anything the better you get at it, shooting a basketball is no different. The longer you live with a bad habit the harder it is to break as well. The classic example is Pete Maravich, his work and dedication as a young kid was what allowed us to see those amazing moves on the court. Even Jordan, identified the weakness in his game was jump shooting so he set out to turn that weakness in to a strength and he did just that.

But few, a very few have that ability to dedicate to something to that level, the ability to totally immerse yourself to that kind of extent is a born with ability in my opinion. Much like Hansbourgh's unstoppable motor, may not have seemed to be a skill but if it were so easy everyone would be doing it. If it were easy then Seth Trimble would be jump shooting like Steph Curry today, Leaky would have looked like MJ last season.

A poor jump shooter can improve for sure but very unlikely they ever become great shooters. Congrats to Leaky, happy for him. I felt Leaky was used poorly in his time at UNC by both Roy and Hubert. Roy tried to turn him in to an ACC level PG and Hubert tried making him in to a stretch guy where neither area worked to his strengths. Said it many times, Hubert needed to get leaky away from shooting treys and working more in the mid range and driving to the rim, that is where leaky's game was, not putting up we dare you to shoot treys.

Reactions: RHFD and Ozheelfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT