ADVERTISEMENT

Let's figure out random facts that connect us OOTBers together

Born in Tallahassee, FL, raised in Brevard, NC just like Mike Irby.(Went to school with his brother Pat). Accepted at UNC but never attended. Enrolled at WCU in 1979 walked on to the football team. I sucked, never dressed and then quit before spring practice. Met the lovely Mrs. Billheel in Cullowhee and we have never left. We are moving to Asheville area as soon as our house sells to be closer to 5 grand kids.

Been in the Insurance industry for more than 20 years the last 8 as a producer for a medium size independent agency with three offices in WNC. Never meant to be in this field, just sort of happened.

I have spent lots of time at UGA and Athens. My brother worked at UGA in Public Health in the 90's and was in charge of sanitation at Sanford stadium. Have sat in box with Vince Dooley. Really nice guy. Saw members of REM walk in to a dive called the Frog Pond at 1:00 am one night and play an acoustic set for 90 minutes or so. Still go to Athens to visit bro's grave and see niece and nephew.

Oh yeah, Billy sort of nominated me for President. Curiously I have received no campaign contributions from any of you. Very disappointed.

April 7th is a wedding anniversary date that I have in common with TarHeelByBirth . .
Wasn't it the same year as well...1990? Maybe not.

And I share a love of The Paul Thorn Band with...somebody...can't remember who off the top of my head.

Wasn't it the same year as well...1990? Maybe not.

And I share a love of The Paul Thorn Band with...somebody...can't remember who off the top of my head.

Yep, you are correct, sir . . I forgot about that.

2015 was the silver anniversary. Those 25 years sure went fast . .

I used to work at Newport News Shipbuilding. I think Nuk worked or works there.

I have been to a lot of concerts. I think there is some overlap there. Strum and the Stones in Hampton back in 1981 for one.

Reactions: chickenhunter
[QUOTE="lovetheHeels!, post: 97848, member: 1404"

I have been to a lot of concerts. I think there is some overlap there. Strum and the Stones in Hampton back in 1981 for one.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I have been to many, many concerts.If I had the money I have spent on concerts, I could buy a nice car.

Here are a few Ive seen...note the different genres of music I listen to:

Jimmy Buffett-I've seen him about 12 times.
Prince-3 times
Run DMC- about 8 times
Alabama- 5 times
KISS- 6 times ( they were my first BIG concert I went to. 1977 at Cumberland County Auditorium in Fayetteville.)
Public Enemy- atleast 10 times...maybe more.
Kid Rock- 5 times
Whodini- atleast 8 times.
Salt n Pepa- about 6 times
LL Cool J- about 7 times
Insane Clown Posse -about 10 times...yes, I know its juvenile but I have so much fun every time I go.

here are a few Ive only seen once or twice:
Rick James
NWA
Ice T
Bone Thugs n Harmony
2 Live Crew
Van Halen
King Diamond
Anthrax
GWAR
Janet Jackson
Boyz II Men
Babyface (absolutely awesome singer and better songwriter)
New Edition
Kotton Mouth Kings
Rage Against the Machine ( I cannot describe how unreal that concert was.)
Black Sabbath
Marilyn Manson
Mushroom Head
Eric B and Rakim
Kool Moe Dee
Doug E Fresh
Madonna
Beastie Boys
Cameo
Kool and the Gang
Gordon Lightfoot
Ice Cube
Kurtis Blow

there are more but Im tired of typing.

Good friend of my wifes married wcu coach hartbargers son and they ran the dillsboro inn for several years. They still might

Coach Jim Hartbarger was WCU basketball coach in the 60's. Sons are Buzz and Scott. They owned and operated the Jarrett House in Dillsboro. Buzz has worked there much more. Scott is girls basketball coach at Franklin High presently. Hartbargers sold Jarrett House last year to some corporation but are still involved in it's operation.

[QUOTE="lovetheHeels!, post: 97848, member: 1404"

I have been to a lot of concerts. I think there is some overlap there. Strum and the Stones in Hampton back in 1981 for one.

Dude, I have been to many, many concerts.If I had the money I have spent on concerts, I could buy a nice car.

Here are a few Ive seen...note the different genres of music I listen to:

Jimmy Buffett-I've seen him about 12 times.
Prince-3 times
Run DMC- about 8 times
Alabama- 5 times
KISS- 6 times ( they were my first BIG concert I went to. 1977 at Cumberland County Auditorium in Fayetteville.)
Public Enemy- atleast 10 times...maybe more.
Kid Rock- 5 times
Whodini- atleast 8 times.
Salt n Pepa- about 6 times
LL Cool J- about 7 times
Insane Clown Posse -about 10 times...yes, I know its juvenile but I have so much fun every time I go.

here are a few Ive only seen once or twice:
Rick James
NWA
Ice T
Bone Thugs n Harmony
2 Live Crew
Van Halen
King Diamond
Anthrax
GWAR
Janet Jackson
Boyz II Men
Babyface (absolutely awesome singer and better songwriter)
New Edition
Kotton Mouth Kings
Rage Against the Machine ( I cannot describe how unreal that concert was.)
Black Sabbath
Marilyn Manson
Mushroom Head
Eric B and Rakim
Kool Moe Dee
Doug E Fresh
Madonna
Beastie Boys
Cameo
Kool and the Gang
Gordon Lightfoot
Ice Cube
Kurtis Blow

there are more but Im tired of typing.[/QUOTE]

That's a lot. Can't match all those but here are a few:

B-52's - at least 10 times
Violent Femmes - 7-8 times
Smithereens - 7-8 times
Foo Fighters - 5 times
Matthew Sweet - 5-6 times
GWAR - 3 times
Psychedelic Furs - 2 times
The Police - 2 times
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
Reo Speedwagon
Bad Company
Boston
Rossington Collins
38 Special
Cheap Trick
Molly Hatchett
The Cars
REM
David Bowie
Prince
Madonna
The Fixx
Duran Duran
INXS
Cure
Alarm
Drivin' N Cryin'
Connells
Buffet - although I don't like his popular music much
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Live
Material Issue
Possum Dixon
Bad Religion
Stone Temple Pilots

That's all I can remember right now.

Last edited:
Raised in Asheville
I lived in Chapel Hill 1985-1989 - Morrison Dorm
I have also lived in Oklahoma City and Houston (both sucked)
I was in Raleigh from 1991 to 1996
I dated an engineer from NCSU for 5 yrs - thankful we didn't marry - would not have liked a lifetime of "A House Divided" although his family was really lovely
Been back in the mountains ever since
My dad coached with RW when they were both employed at Owen HS
My Dad taught Brad Daughtery
Brad Johnson (NFL) mom worked for my dad and we did fun family activities with the Johnson Family like rafting down the french broad river and hiking
Sammy Stewart (NLB -pitcher) was one of my dad's pitchers when he coached baseball. After he hit the big league he came back to Owen and I met him as a little girl. He was very kind to me and I became a Baltimore fan because of him.
Patricia Cornwell (author) was also one of dad's students. She was quiet, shy and very bright.
Belamy (Amy) Young -actress was 2 years behind me at Asheville High. Her mom is good friends with my parents.
Buzz Peterson was 4 years ahead of me in High School and graduated with my BIL

Coach Jim Hartbarger was WCU basketball coach in the 60's. Sons are Buzz and Scott. They owned and operated the Jarrett House in Dillsboro. Buzz has worked there much more. Scott is girls basketball coach at Franklin High presently. Hartbargers sold Jarrett House last year to some corporation but are still involved in it's operation.

Yea she married scott. We were in the wedding which was at the jarrett house. When we moved from asheville we lost touch.

Reactions: Billheel
Raised in Asheville
I lived in Chapel Hill 1985-1989 - Morrison Dorm
I have also lived in Oklahoma City and Houston (both sucked)
I was in Raleigh from 1991 to 1996
I dated an engineer from NCSU for 5 yrs - thankful we didn't marry - would not have liked a lifetime of "A House Divided" although his family was really lovely
Been back in the mountains ever since
My dad coached with RW when they were both employed at Owen HS
My Dad taught Brad Daughtery
Brad Johnson (NFL) mom worked for my dad and we did fun family activities with the Johnson Family like rafting down the french broad river and hiking
Sammy Stewart (NLB -pitcher) was one of my dad's pitchers when he coached baseball. After he hit the big league he came back to Owen and I met him as a little girl. He was very kind to me and I became a Baltimore fan because of him.
Patricia Cornwell (author) was also one of dad's students. She was quiet, shy and very bright.
Belamy (Amy) Young -actress was 2 years behind me at Asheville High. Her mom is good friends with my parents.
Buzz Peterson was 4 years ahead of me in High School and graduated with my BIL

U know steve cantrell from owen? Van wilkins? Coach kenny ford?

Dad knows Kenny Ford (I believe he was one of his students) and the name Steve Cantrell and Van Wilkins sure do sound familiar. Dad was at Owen and then later Swannanoa Middle.

My dad was on the starting O and starting D for WCU from 1958 to 1961 or 1962

thbb, I'm pretty sure that I turned you on to Paul Thorn!

I was on a sharing site called Noisetrade - one of those download-it-and-pay-what-you-like sites - and Paul put Mission Temple Fireworks Stand out there. Blown away. I think when we talked I had yet to see him live and you correctly pointed out that it was a completely different experience. Now we go anytime he's within 50 miles. He's on tour now but no NC dates. We've seen him at Ziggy's in W-S twice but it was a weeknight both times so the crowd was limited.

Reactions: jcolucci
I've spent the night underwater on a U.S. Navy submarine.

I have family in Iowa, Washington State, New Jersey, Colorado, California, and South Carolina.

Bands I've seen in concert include Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, My Morning Jacket, Kings of Leon, The Dead, BB King, Ludacris, Outkast, Government Mule, Tom Petty, Dave Matthews Band, Nine Inch Nails, Cults, and the Black Crowes. Tomorrow night I'm going to see Alabama Shakes.

Countries visited include the Bahamas, England, France, Italy, Mexico, and India.

Ive been to Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, Austria, Holland, Switzerland

I have dutch ancestors who emigrated to wisc early 1900's and have been packer seasn ticket holders since the 40's. From there my grandparents moved to sand mtn ala in the bear bryant years near ft payne which is where my extended fam still is. So thru my moms huge family (7 sisters, 8 aunts and uncles, 30+cousins) I am embroiled first hand in some
Big rivalries

Dutch vs germans
Packers v bears
Ala vs auburn
And of course by my school selection
Unc v dook

I was with a guy from the Netherlands that wore his wooden clogs to Cubs game at Wrigley Field (Spring 1998 during Netherlands great run during World Cup). We were in left field bleachers. After a home run, my friend stood up and started banging his clogs together over his head instead of clapping. Pretty cool and maybe common over there? but sure enough, soon after a security guy came down to take his clogs!! We were pretty lit up and decided to argue the call...not a good idea.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT