ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of empty seats...

I completely understand this rationale. I have to choose between backpacking in the best (IMO) weather of the year versus spending my weekend going to games. My choice is almost always for the games, but I understand why others choose differently. There are also people who live too far away to reasonably make the trip, or who have newborn infants to care for, etc.

How many UNC football fans are there? It has to be in the hundreds of thousands. We only need 63,000 to show up 6 or 7 times a year. So when we say our fans suck we're making a general statement because the vast majority of them are choosing something other than UNC football. We don't need everyone who likes UNC football to sacrifice every weekend in the fall. We just need enough of them to fill the stadium. The showing on Saturday was absolutely embarrassing.

[Edit to add:] The one excuse -- mentioned a couple times here -- that floors me is the firing of Butch Davis. Sweet fancy Moses. That happened over 4 years ago and everyone involved in that decision has been jettisoned. People using that travesty as an excuse to no-show are basically punishing the football program for something that was (and is) completely out of their control. I hated it too, but there's not a damn thing we can do about it. Get over it already.

I agree with the BD sentiment.

As far as choosing another activity over going to a Carolina football game- UNC has made this a relatively easy decision and not one that favors going to the game.

I have season tickets and have for years. Yes I've been many many times. Care to refute anything I said? Or just "go to the beach"

Sure. You can go to any of the museums in Chapel Hill. Or the multitude of excellent restaurants which are within walking distance of Kenan. Or walk campus. Or Morehead. Or excellent shopping. All of which aren't possible in Columbia given proximity of stadium to anything else other than tailgate spots.

Sure. You can go to any of the museums in Chapel Hill. Or the multitude of excellent restaurants which are within walking distance of Kenan. Or walk campus. Or Morehead. Or excellent shopping. All of which aren't possible in Columbia given proximity of stadium to anything else other than tailgate spots.

The Museums??? You have got to be kidding me. College football is not about going to museums and CH is a great college town and there are many that offer the same thing. You just said the Heels have given fans no reason to go so I guess that's the main reason for you.

The Museums??? You have got to be kidding me. College football is not about going to museums and CH is a great college town and there are many that offer the same thing. You just said the Heels have given fans no reason to go so I guess that's the main reason for you.

What in the hell are you talking about now?

Do you want things to do in Chapel Hill or do you want things to do on game day?

Make up your tiny mind.

I'm talking about football 00. It's not that difficult. Football fans go to a game to tailgate and have a great time with friends before and after games. Trust me no football fan is planning a ay at the museum after the game. Ever been to Clemson, Ole Miss or Tenn? That's football atmosphere.

I'm talking about football 00. It's not that difficult. Football fans go to a game to tailgate and have a great time with friends before and after games. Trust me no football fan is planning a ay at the museum after the game. Ever been to Clemson, Ole Miss or Tenn? That's football atmosphere.

I agree. That's one of the reasons people aren't going to Chapel Hill on game day. I have been saying this for years.

Reactions: The Sharkster
ok Dick Brevard nc to chapel hill 352 miles 4hrs stooped and ate Clemson 51.77 miles 1hr 15 min
i make the drive twice a year did not say no one goes, But if you thank there is more N.C fans here then there are clemson and tnn fans you dont get out much.

It sure isn't 352 from Asheville, "dick"...I did it for 35 years, just around 226 to 230 miles (IIRC) go play elsewhere, as I said lots of Heels in WNC, just that Knoxville and Klemp's son are a bit closer....let's be clear, you calling me a name doesn't change mileage/time to either place from either start point. But I am SO glad you "stooped" and are learning about verb use, "there is" indeed.

Please recall this is an internet "fan" board, I did not attack you or insult you in my previous post, a simple statement. Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
My son and I have been to both games this year. I was surprised that more UNC fans showed up for A&T than a Big Ten opponent. I have already had to explain to my 12 year old what the aluminum jungle is.

Embarrassing for this to be what we show the nation and top recruits.

It sure isn't 352 from Asheville, "dick"...I did it for 35 years, just around 226 to 230 miles (IIRC) go play elsewhere, as I said lots of Heels in WNC, just that Knoxville and Klemp's son are a bit closer....let's be clear, you calling me a name doesn't change mileage/time to either place from either start point. But I am SO glad you "stooped" and are learning about verb use, "there is" indeed.

Please recall this is an internet "fan" board, I did not attack you or insult you in my previous post, a simple statement. Thanks for playing.
Nice your come back is the proper use of language. You replied like a smart ***.
You did not no where I was driving from so you should not tell me how long it takes me. Thanks for playing.

Just off the top of my head since I happened to tune in to this game when I got home Saturday (note the crowd at the 4 second mark). The stadium was not only shoulder-to-shoulder fans, but they were all participating in the stadium stripe-out by wearing the right color t-shirts:

I'm sure I could find other examples if I felt like spending the time to do it.

white-out in kenan this weekend, bruh.

Exhibit A: This thread.

So let me get this straight. If the travel time is less than two hours, there's a big-name opponent, the game is after 3:30, the weather is perfect, the area around Kenan is razed for tailgate parking lots, tailgaters can drink with impunity, all concessions are upgraded and discounted, the team is near flawless in its execution, the coaches don't make mistakes, the officials treat us favorably, and we re-hire Butch Davis ... then fans will consider showing up? That sounds reasonable.
LMAO. I have only missed a couple of home games in the last 5 years and it's the same seats(areas) that are always empty. I have always wondered how I could track down the season ticket holders and basically ask for their tix. The seats beside us belong to some lawyer who is in bad health. I wonder how many similar stories there are like that.

Seems like we have this Debate/Argument/Cry-Fest every year. There's obviously a lot of factors that contribute to the lack of fan support.

The product on the field will drive attendance, but if that's not going to be top-notch some other things would help. The 12pm games are definitely a killer, as is the opponent slate. But that's a vicious cycle. We get 12pm games because the team isn't very good - and because the teams we play generally aren't that exciting/good, and because ESPN doesn't want their primetime games in danger of being at empty stadiums.

Distance of tailgating from the stadium factors in as well. Tough to get the off-campus crowd to just start up a decent tailgate, and then leave it at 11:30 and walk a mile to the stadium to go see the Heels take on Delaware (or even WF or UVA to the casual observer).

I don't wanna hear the crap about it being too hot/sunny out. Alabama/Florida/UGA/etc. are all just as hot/sunny and still pack their (larger) stadiums. Yes it helps that they've usually gotten a full day of tailgating in before they have to go to the stadium, and its not that far of a walk, and the team they're playing is a decent opponent.

I can't really speak for nowadays - but when I was in school there a few years ago - the football games weren't hyped at all. It was never the big to-do that it is for the student body elsewhere. I don't know if that's a result of the type of people that are students, or the administration/athletic department failing to generate proper interest from their own students, or what. The solution of "let students in for free after the 1st Q if its not full" sounds like a great idea - but the problem is that the tickets already are free for students and there's not even enough interest from them.

I hope they figure it out soon - as it definitely would help recruiting to have buzz around the stadium and have it packed out. Getting some better opponents in and some 3:30 or *gasp* 6/8pm starts would go a long way.

Reactions: UNC71-00
You two need to stop. Our fans don't suck. They just have other things to do, much like all fans of sports these days.

It takes a massive commitment of time and money to be a fan the likes of which you two expect. Furthermore, 5-10 years ago, every game wasn't on TV like it is now. Nor did tickets cost as much or games last as long.

I think it's great that you buy season tickets and want to go to every game- I really do. But I am not going to forego a weekend at the beach or camping or going to my daughters horse show to watch any game, least of all UNC football.
Has anybody ever checked to see how much ticket prices have outpaced inflation?

Soooooo many excuses. My God. Don't give me the basketball excuse. Our precious Dean Dome is never sold out either (except for the Duke and State game), and if, God forbid, we aren't in the Top 25, attendance wanes drastically.

We just have lousy fans. That's all. No use for me getting worked up over it like I used to because it won't change
WE have wine and cheese fans. It seems to them unbecoming to be passionate, all the time, about any sport. even basketball. Rednecks are passionate about their sports teams. And many UNC folks would rather be assumed pedophiles than rednecks with college degrees and money.

The redneck comment is true / funny but I don't think you should associate pedophilia with our less-than-passionate fan base. However, it is perfectly acceptable (in fact, encouraged) to associate moo fans with beastiality.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC71-00
I agree. That's one of the reasons people aren't going to Chapel Hill on game day. I have been saying this for years.
Improving the game day atmosphere by lightening up on all the parking restrictions, alcohol restrictions, and the difficulty of getting to the stadium would go a long way. I remember years ago, you could park anywhere on the curb you could fit your car. Now everyone is trying to make a buck. I guess that's more important that actually getting people to come to the games. When you have experienced tailgating at Clemson, Louisville, and other football friendly places, you know this is true. One huge parking lot, suitable for a majority of the fans with ample room for tailgating would improve things dramatically.

It just makes me LOL that our fanbase makes fun of State for being farmers......yet Kenan Stadium is named after a dairy farmer

Oh good grief. That's like characterizing Donald Trump as a television personality.

Per the Wikipedia article - William R. Kenan Jr. had it named after his parents - not sure what they did for a living.

William Rand Kenan, Jr. made his fortune as a chemical engineer and in real estate development. That he later owned a farm is incidental since he dabbled in a number of different businesses. Dude gave loads of money to both UNC and NCSU by the way. Thread derailment over....

Improving the game day atmosphere by lightening up on all the parking restrictions, alcohol restrictions, and the difficulty of getting to the stadium would go a long way. I remember years ago, you could park anywhere on the curb you could fit your car. Now everyone is trying to make a buck. I guess that's more important that actually getting people to come to the games. When you have experienced tailgating at Clemson, Louisville, and other football friendly places, you know this is true. One huge parking lot, suitable for a majority of the fans with ample room for tailgating would improve things dramatically.
I've tailgated at both Clemson and Louisville and they're fantastic. A couple points of clarification, though.

One, Chapel Hill has a bad reputation about its alcohol policy but things are far more lax than they used to be. I've openly drunk beer and liquor at tailgates the last several years without issue. That includes playing rowdy games of beer pong on top of the Cardinal deck. I've also taken a "road beer" in a Solo cup to each of the first two homes games of the season. Walked right by the traffic cops and they didn't blink an eye. Basically, don't be a dumbass and you can drink as freely as you'd like before and after the games.

Second, Chapel Hill doesn't have and will probably never have a huge parking lot able to accommodate thousands and thousands of people because of the stadium's location in the middle of campus. Most people know that. But here's what I've learned over the past few years. If tailgating is that important to you, you can find a way to make it happen. There are lots and garages all over campus big enough to bring your friends, your grill, and your cornhole set. Yeah, you might have a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium but why is that such a deterrent? Just speaking from personal experience, I've had tons more fun pre- and post- game the last several years once I decided to stop complaining about what's wrong with UNC tailgating and start finding ways to have fun.

Life is what you make it Taz. I've been going to BKS for close to 30 years, I'd say I've taken in over 85% of our homegames in that time frame, and since I've been 18 I've tailgated for EVERY GAME I've gone to. It's not hard. You pack a cooler. You get some chicken or bring the grill and some charcoal. You show up. You do it.

If a bunch of other people do it around you...BOOM. Football atmosphere. If not, park early and hit Franklin St. Lots of fun at the local bars pre and postgame. Not looking for a bar atmosphere? Have kids? Try Tar Heel Town.

It takes one. Show up and do your part. The rest (should) follow.

I've tailgated at both Clemson and Louisville and they're fantastic. A couple points of clarification, though.

One, Chapel Hill has a bad reputation about its alcohol policy but things are far more lax than they used to be. I've openly drunk beer and liquor at tailgates the last several years without issue. That includes playing rowdy games of beer pong on top of the Cardinal deck. I've also taken a "road beer" in a Solo cup to each of the first two homes games of the season. Walked right by the traffic cops and they didn't blink an eye. Basically, don't be a dumbass and you can drink as freely as you'd like before and after the games.

Second, Chapel Hill doesn't have and will probably never have a huge parking lot able to accommodate thousands and thousands of people because of the stadium's location in the middle of campus. Most people know that. But here's what I've learned over the past few years. If tailgating is that important to you, you can find a way to make it happen. There are lots and garages all over campus big enough to bring your friends, your grill, and your cornhole set. Yeah, you might have a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium but why is that such a deterrent? Just speaking from personal experience, I've had tons more fun pre- and post- game the last several years once I decided to stop complaining about what's wrong with UNC tailgating and start finding ways to have fun.

Great minds...

Reactions: Raising Heel
I've also taken a "road beer" in a Solo cup to each of the first two homes games of the season. Walked right by the traffic cops and they didn't blink an eye. Basically, don't be a dumbass and you can drink as freely as you'd like before and after the games.

Nice one. Would you like me to drive to Charlotte to kick your ass now or can we wait until the next game?

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Players notice. Just saying.

That's really funny.

Here's what you can do Bug: Tell Fedora to quit being a dick in press conferences. He needs to not answer "we have to improve in every aspect" and "we will look at the tape" to 9 out of 10 questions. Coach is not likable and as the figurehead, he is the person people identify with. He needs to change his attitude. But if you want the fastest solution- just win. That solves everything.

And most of you know my position on going to games. I go to as many as I can and usually make at least half the home games and 1 away. I go whether they are winning or not. But I don't expect the casual fan to do the same and I understand the many reasons why not.

Reactions: The Sharkster
That's really funny.

Here's what you can do Bug: Tell Fedora to quit being a dick in press conferences. He needs to not answer "we have to improve in every aspect" and "we will look at the tape" to 9 out of 10 questions. Coach is not likable and as the figurehead, he is the person people identify with. He needs to change his attitude. But if you want the fastest solution- just win. That solves everything.

And most of you know my position on going to games. I go to as many as I can and usually make at least half the home games and 1 away. I go whether they are winning or not. But I don't expect the casual fan to do the same and I understand the many reasons why not.
That's thing thing though.....you still go to 2-4 a year even with your misgivings. That's way more dedication than some people show.

Reactions: Raising Heel
That's thing thing though.....you still go to 2-4 a year even with your misgivings. That's way more dedication than some people show.

Yeah, but I'm a Tar Heel regardless of the situation or team. Many fans of our basketball team are just that- fans of the basketball team. It's not like Clemson or South Cackalacky or Bama or Ohio State fans fill the basketball arenas.

Granted, I understand football drives the money (for the time being), but if UNC wants football to be appealing to the casual fan, then they need to address the other areas of concerns that have been laid out by me and many others on these threads several times a year.

Agree completely. Dude is just bristly. Most head coaches are, though.

I don't know about that. He's the first one I can remember here since Crum? Although maybe Torbush was- who knows?

And there are plenty who are dicks but still answer questions and occasionally say something insightful. Fedora is Harbaugh level of bristly but without the resume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT