ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of empty seats...

I don't know about that. He's the first one I can remember here since Crum? Although maybe Torbush was- who knows?

And there are plenty who are dicks but still answer questions and occasionally say something insightful. Fedora is Harbaugh level of bristly but without the resume.
Lol Fedora is nowhere near Harbaugh. That dude is mentally unstable.

And so Bunting and Torbush weren't dicks. They were also losers.

awful parking, lack of tailgating space, mediocre product....

do we really need to ask this question every year?

I don't go to games often because I don't feel like it. It's just not that important to me. I never go to basketball games. I haven't been to one of those in years (outside the ACC tournament.

If someone pays for my ticket, drives me to CH, has a good tailgating spot close so I don't have to walk far, makes sure I have enough room in my seat to be comfortable (taking a whole row would be ideal), guarantees a good performance and takes care of my chores at home while I'm gone, I'd definitely go to more games.

Reactions: The Sharkster
in order to invest their time and money and inconvenience to attend games fans only need two things: a) a halfway decent chance of winning the game, and b) knowing that if it's a loss it won't be a humiliating beat down where our players weren't ready to play. many fans wonder why they should show up when recent history includes games (e.g. ncsu) where OUR PLAYERS didn't show up! bottom line: winning (or even the hope of winning) cures everything.

...because you're a lousy fan. Don't worry. I gotcha covered. I already submitted a response on your behalf.

Yes, @Raising Heel, everything you mention in that linked post would certainly help. But you failed to mention a few things I added. But don't get so bent out of shape. I probably wouldn't attend games frequently even if I was a Bama fan. But UVa,...now that's what a real football atmosphere looks like. I can't pass that up.

In all seriousness, I will be attending 4 college football games this year. My dad is dragging me to the UVa/Boise St game this coming Friday (Friday? WTF is that? Dumbest shit I've heard of.) My mom doesn't want to go and I can't send my pop up there solo. So I'll take one for the team.

Then I'm going to the UT/UGa game in Knoxville on Oct 10. My wife is a UT girl and she thinks they're on the rebound so she wants to start getting her interest back up. She's a total fair weather fan and has no problem whatsoever admitting it. I applaud her honesty.

Then I'm going to the UNC/duke game on Nov 7. I go to UNC/duke every year regardless of which stadium.

Lastly, I'm going to UNC/VT on Nov 21 at Lane.

So that's 4 games this year that I will be going to. That's a lot. Frankly, more than I really want. I usually make 2 or 3 every year. But I just would rather be at home on a Saturday. I can watch games AND do something else I want to do. No lost time in the car. I'm not forcing my kids to miss their soccer games/wrestling matches/other extracurricular activities. Plus, I can drink as much as I want, pause live action, and be infinitely more comfortable in my leather chair than in the bleachers and not pay a dime to do it. It's completely reasonable. I'm sure plenty of folks think like I do. And I don't have a problem with it. People "fan" how they want to "fan".

Reactions: UNC71-00
The parking really isn't that bad if you know where to look. But I'm down with the thread. I can't take all the whiny excuses.

Whiny? You know whiny like the back of your hand. You're the President of the "I'm A Better Fan Than You Whiny Club".

Go to games. Paint your face. Buy jerseys. Get drunk at 9:30 am. Yell and scream until your larynx becomes inflamed. Go broke doing it. But please, for the love of God, stop with the vitriol against fans that aren't as interested in all that as you are.

For all the fans whining about the opponent, the ability of the team and the weather, I say "what a bunch of cry babies". I went to see the WCU Catamounts get massacred in Knoxville last weekend and had to walk a mile even taking a shuttle, in 88 degree heat with 90% humidity, against a UT outfit that has been horrible for a few years. Attendance was 103,000 give or take. They stayed to the end of a 55-10 pasting and then went back to their tailgates a mile or more away. A truly horrible experience for me but they seemed to be having a blast.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Yes, @Raising Heel, everything you mention in that linked post would certainly help. But you failed to mention a few things I added. But don't get so bent out of shape. I probably wouldn't attend games frequently even if I was a Bama fan. But UVa,...now that's what a real football atmosphere looks like. I can't pass that up.

In all seriousness, I will be attending 4 college football games this year. My dad is dragging me to the UVa/Boise St game this coming Friday (Friday? WTF is that? Dumbest shit I've heard of.) My mom doesn't want to go and I can't send my pop up there solo. So I'll take one for the team.

Then I'm going to the UT/UGa game in Knoxville on Oct 10. My wife is a UT girl and she thinks they're on the rebound so she wants to start getting her interest back up. She's a total fair weather fan and has no problem whatsoever admitting it. I applaud her honesty.

Then I'm going to the UNC/duke game on Nov 7. I go to UNC/duke every year regardless of which stadium.

Lastly, I'm going to UNC/VT on Nov 21 at Lane.

So that's 4 games this year that I will be going to. That's a lot. Frankly, more than I really want. I usually make 2 or 3 every year. But I just would rather be at home on a Saturday. I can watch games AND do something else I want to do. No lost time in the car. I'm not forcing my kids to miss their soccer games/wrestling matches/other extracurricular activities. Plus, I can drink as much as I want, pause live action, and be infinitely more comfortable in my leather chair than in the bleachers and not pay a dime to do it. It's completely reasonable. I'm sure plenty of folks think like I do. And I don't have a problem with it. People "fan" how they want to "fan".
Did your wife see the collapse against OU?

Did your wife see the collapse against OU?

She saw the dominating first half. We were at my mom and dad's house watching the UVa/ND game with my dad who didn't go to the game because of an ailing knee. But my wife kept going into the other room to keep tabs on the UT game and she would come strutting back to where the rest of us were with a smirk on her face. Well, then it was dinner and then we left and went home. She then just fell out on the couch while me and my boys watched the end. I didn't have the heart to tell her. She probably thinks UT went on to win.

Marquise had the best response to empty seats.

"It's like some people can't get up to get in here. We just need to keep winning games and do what we need to do."

Dude- Bunting was not an ass at all- that guy loved and still does love UNC and UNC football. But you were too young to remember. Torbush was just a redneck if I remember correctly- he was in and out so quickly that we never got to know him.

Harbaugh wins. Fed does not. I know which one I prefer.

Players notice. Just saying.

There will be UNC basketball fans here and on IC who never - well, maybe once or twice per year - post on the football board who will respond to Howard with denial.

When I say the same type thing, they deny it and go on the attack, and get right back to a UNC basketball board.

I have long said that there is only 1 reason to want UNC to join the SEC: get away from MooU forever. But there is a second: being in the SEC would force UNC and its fans to become more focused on football

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
There will be UNC basketball fans here and on IC who never - well, maybe once or twice per year - post on the football board who will respond to Howard with denial.

When I say the same type thing, they deny it and go on the attack, and get right back to a UNC basketball board.

I have long said that there is only 1 reason to want UNC to join the SEC: get away from MooU forever. But there is a second: being in the SEC would force UNC and its fans to become more focused on football
One dingbat on TOS responded "Bug used to be my favorite player." ......Really dude?

Dude- Bunting was not an ass at all- that guy loved and still does love UNC and UNC football.
The oft quoted response about Bunting is that he never visited Chapel Hill after he graduated. When he became the head coach at UNC it was his first trip back. Not sure if that's true but I've never heard it disputed. Certainly diminishes the claims about how much he loves his alma mater.

Dude- Bunting was not an ass at all- that guy loved and still does love UNC and UNC football. But you were too young to remember.
I said Bunting WASN'T a dick. I remember him.....that's right when I really, really got into Carolina Football (LOL, what a time to get into it....)

Dude effing sucked as a coach. Colossally terrible hire by Dick Baddour....like inexcusably awful hire when we still were riding the Mack momentum and could've gotten much, much better coordinators as our HC from better programs (Mark Richt, for example). Dick Baddour made the two worst hires in UNC athletics history with Doherty and Bunting. I don't blame MD or JB for not being good enough.....I blame DB for being an idiot with those hires.

You wanna talk difference between football and basketball priorities at this school though, the Doherty vs. Bunting comparison is the perfect one. How long did it take for action to be taken once it was realized Doherty might not be the guy? Immediate action. What about Bunting? Ehhh we'll give him a bajillion seasons of godawful records in a row before we finally can him. He's just such a GOOD GUY, and he just LOVES UNC so much and he's a PLAYER'S COACH. Cry me a river. There's a reason opposing coaches praised Bunting so feverishly -- it's because they always beat him.

You wanna talk difference between football and basketball priorities at this school though, the Doherty vs. Bunting comparison is the perfect one. How long did it take for action to be taken once it was realized Doherty might not be the guy? Immediate action. What about Bunting? Ehhh we'll give him a bajillion seasons of godawful records in a row before we finally can him. He's just such a GOOD GUY, and he just LOVES UNC so much and he's a PLAYER'S COACH. Cry me a river. There's a reason opposing coaches praised Bunting so feverishly -- it's because they always beat him.

That's not really accurate. First of all, Doh was COY in his first season and tied for the ACC reg season championship. But the end of that great season in which we reached #1 was when it started to unravel for Doh. A colossal upset to PSU in the 2nd round of the tournament started the snowball. Then, players transferred, we lost Joe Forte and the seniors and the next year's group which was devoid of any real talent (because Doh didn't recruit any good players) will go down infamously for their 8-20 record. Next year was a rebound with Ray, Rashad and May (great haul brought in by Doh) but still fell short of UNC expectations by not making the tournament. But the reasons for Doh's dismissal were attributed more to his interaction with players and those in the basketball office along with some poor decision making regarding the program than it was his performance. Had he been a hell of a guy that players advocated for, he would have remained despite the 8-20 and 19-16 years (hard to gauge though because if he wasn't such an jerk, he probably wouldn't have gone 8-20 and 19-16). But he was an asshole. And he let people go that were institutions within the program. In essence, he disrespected what Dean and Gut had built. And that wasn't going to fly.

Bunting, from all accounts, was a good guy and the players and those around the AD liked him. Of course it's easier to overlook poor performances when the coach is likable.

Mike London
Mark Richt
Les Miles

all have been given a pass or are being given a pass because they are likable.

gtfoh with richt and miles...those dudes win games, get to conference title/bcs games and recruit at a high level.

mike london is in over his head...and who really cares about uva football???

IDK....if UVa continues on the current trajectory and finishes 3-9, London's likeability isn't gonna matter as he's packing his bags, fired.

IDK....if UVa continues on the current trajectory and finishes 3-9, London's likeability isn't gonna matter as he's packing his bags, fired.

I thought he'd be gone by now. But story after story continues to hit the local papers about how honorable he is and how people, despite his inability to win games, love the guy and the principles on which he runs the program. If he beats VT this year - which I think he will - he'll have another 2-3 years to do something. I've met him and I can tell you that he is indeed a first class guy. And like someone above stated, no one cares about football at UVa. They care far more about the perception of their athletes. And London does a fantastic job of creating the perception that UVa athletes are all typical UVa students and outstanding citizens.

My dad (UVa alum and season ticket holder) and my next door neighbor (the same) both say they like him so much they can overlook his poor record...if he can at least beat VT.

Bunting was a TOTAL dick, and a phony too, on top of being a loser. Tried to sell the 'I bleed light blue' B.S., and we come to find out that he NEVER gave financial support to UNC...nor did he ever return to campus between his graduation and being named head coach.

Bunting was a TOTAL dick, and a phony too, on top of being a loser. Tried to sell the 'I bleed light blue' B.S., and we come to find out that he NEVER gave financial support to UNC...nor did he ever return to campus between his graduation and being named head coach.
Agreed. He could definitely get snarky. He also, you know, didn't win. Going 2-9 should be grounds for automatic firing.

Just to be accurate, it was 2-10. And 3-9, TWICE! (Bunting)

He did prove that UNC Football IS really cursed, however. Pulled the colossal upset of #3 Miami the very week it had been decided to can him by the PTB, and to do whatever needed doing to hire Spurrier, who was openly lobbying for the job. Of course, the PTB shrunk from the mild challenge to proceed w/ doing the right thing for the program, which was to fire him anyway. Proved that even when we win the game, UNC Football can lose the war!

Just to be accurate, it was 2-10. And 3-9, TWICE! (Bunting)

He did prove that UNC Football IS really cursed, however. Pulled the colossal upset of #3 Miami the very week it had been decided to can him by the PTB, and to do whatever needed doing to hire Spurrier, who was openly lobbying for the job. Of course, the PTB shrunk from the mild challenge to proceed w/ doing the right thing for the program, which was to fire him anyway. Proved that even when we win the game, UNC Football can lose the war!
I've heard this before. Ugh. :(

spurrier was playing golf somewhere, maybe augusta, one day in between washington & scarolina...wish i could recall the exact quote, but he wanted the job...his people reached out for sure.

gtfoh with richt and miles...those dudes win games, get to conference title/bcs games and recruit at a high level.

mike london is in over his head...and who really cares about uva football???

Please. Richt and Miles both have been on the hot seat at some point and have both kept jobs because they were liked.

And people care about UVa about as much as they care about us.

Please. Richt and Miles both have been on the hot seat at some point and have both kept jobs because they were liked.

And people care about UVa about as much as they care about us.

you're only halfway correct...richt & miles were never in danger of being fired because you can't just replace those guys at those schools, yet anyway...and it has nothing to do with being liked.

and that's why i said "maybe at carolina" earlier in the thread...not even on the radar nationally.

Well back to the empty seats. Instead of all the other stuff being decussed now. IF YOU TOUGHT LAST WEEK WAS BAD. WAIT FOR THIS SATURDAY. PLAYING DELEWARE AND 100% CHANCE OF RAIN!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: gteeitup
Well back to the empty seats. Instead of all the other stuff being decussed now. IF YOU TOUGHT LAST WEEK WAS BAD. WAIT FOR THIS SATURDAY. PLAYING DELEWARE AND 100% CHANCE OF RAIN!!!!!!!!!

so idaho drew 31,000 in that monsoon...over/under this weekend?

Probally over since the announce the attendence numbers in tickets bought and not who shows.

One dingbat on TOS responded "Bug used to be my favorite player." ......Really dude?
I am not surprised. If it played out according to past such discussions, here is what has gone down:

1. Basketball-only fans and basketball-first fans would deny that they are what they are and that the UNC fan base has such a problem.
2. Basketball-only and basketball-first fans would assert that everybody should be ashamed of blaming anything on basketball or its fans, because they are the reason most people know anything about UNC sports. They would fail to see any contradiction between #s 1 and 2.
3. Basketball-only fans and basketball-first fans would appeal to Moderators to ban any UNC football fan who posts anything they find offensive, which is almost anything that fails to genuflect before basketball and basketball-only and basketball-first fans.

Reactions: HeelFan58
I said Bunting WASN'T a dick. I remember him.....that's right when I really, really got into Carolina Football (LOL, what a time to get into it....)

Dude effing sucked as a coach. Colossally terrible hire by Dick Baddour....like inexcusably awful hire when we still were riding the Mack momentum and could've gotten much, much better coordinators as our HC from better programs (Mark Richt, for example). Dick Baddour made the two worst hires in UNC athletics history with Doherty and Bunting. I don't blame MD or JB for not being good enough.....I blame DB for being an idiot with those hires.

Amen! It's not the fault of Bunting and Doherty that they were not up to the job. The fault lies with the man who hired all 3: Dick Baddour.

Did Baddour hire Torbush as HC while the interim AD after Swofford was named ACC Commissioner? Or did Swofford hire Torbush?

Amen! It's not the fault of Bunting and Doherty that they were not up to the job. The fault lies with the man who hired all 3: Dick Baddour.

Did Baddour hire Torbush as HC while the interim AD after Swofford was named ACC Commissioner? Or did Swofford hire Torbush?

Baddour was responsible for Torbush.

DB was the all time worst UNC hire. We can thank DES for that one.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
smh at the folks acting like Richt and Miles get a pass because they are liked. they get a pass on a down year which to those programs is a 7 win season, because in most years they win 9-10 games minimum and contend in the toughest football conference in the country. I sure wouldn't mind having Richt or Miles and winning 9-10 games a year minimum while being a perennial top 10-15 team no less and getting pissed when a down year is a 7 win season..........

some of yall lack serious perspective

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT