ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Veal will get Spring practice

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
He's enrolling early.

Anybody think he can be in the OL 2-deep after 1 Spring?

I think the OL will be a beast next year. Even if Turner goes NFL, we get back 4 starters. And Cohen has started at G for 3 or 4 games and done very well as a true freshman. Holts might be a little better as a 5th year SR. Spain will be a redshirt freshman. Hatton will be very sound as the true freshman #2 Center.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

Wouldn't shock me at all. Then again, I thought Spain would be starting at LT by now so what do I know?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kiaro Holts and RJ Prince, both of whom are at RT currently. I expect one of them to be moved to 3rd string at LT while the other battles Veal for the 2-spot at RT.

Our offensive line is finally rebuilding some quality depth after all the NFL departures the last couple years. I'm still worried about the interior, though. If Turner goes pro, our second string inside looks shaky. Will Dancy (LG), Arien Smith/Tommy Hatton (C), and Brad Henson (RG). Maybe Hatton will be a quick study, but I'd rather not have to keep relying on true freshmen on the O line.

This post was edited on 12/8 11:18 AM by Raising Heel

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
He's enrolling early.

I think the OL will be a beast next year. Even if Turner goes NFL, we get back 4 starters. And Cohen has started at G for 3 or 4 games and done very well as a true freshman. Holts might be a little better as a 5th year SR. Spain will be a redshirt freshman. Hatton will be very sound as the true freshman #2 Center.
I don't know if he will be after one semester, but I bet Sweet will be come the fall. Sweet is also an early enrollee.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
So Spain maintained his redshirt? I thought he saw a little bit of action this season, but I could be wrong.
No, they burned Spain's redshirt. He got a decent chunk of playing time but didn't upend Ferranto.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
So Spain maintained his redshirt? I thought he saw a little bit of action this season, but I could be wrong.
No, they burned Spain's redshirt. He got a decent chunk of playing time but didn't upend Ferranto.
That's what I thought. All I'll say is that it's quite...surprising...that Spain didn't work his way ahead of Ferranto during the course of this season.

turner better not go to the nfl....he got manhandled quite a bit this year and has no position flex like bodine had.

Originally posted by 2for3:

Veal is a sure redshirt
Why do you say that? Do you think that even with Spring, he won'lt be ready? That we are going to see such progress by the young guys on the OL already on campus, including from players redshirting like Spain, that there will be no opening? That Sweet is going to enter ahead of him in development?

Sweet will be an All American before he leaves and may crack the 2 deep...just a opinion...Veal will need work
.Sweet is simply a kid that has the potential to be a first rounder...3 year guy at UNC..simply that good

Sweet will be an All American before he leaves and may crack the 2 deep...just a opinion...Veal will need work
.Sweet is simply a kid that has the potential to be a first rounder...3 year guy at UNC..simply that good
Exactly, it isn't a knock on Veal, who is good, it is saying Sweet IS that good. He MIGHT stay 4 years, but that would be because education is that important to him. Not because he wouldn't go in the first round after 3 years. Young man is a special talent.

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:
Exactly, it isn't a knock on Veal, who is good, it is saying Sweet IS that good. He MIGHT stay 4 years, but that would be because education is that important to him. Not because he wouldn't go in the first round after 3 years. Young man is a special talent.
Very few guys on the OL can go NFL, with a decent draft round, after only 3 years on campus. If we are getting guys who can do it, then our offense will be a juggernaut.

Now we need more size and talent, and much better coaching, on D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT