ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Mayer?

Old_School59

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Rolesville NC
From what I have seen this kid could light it up and has excellent handles. He doesn’t shoot the 3 as well as Brady, But otherwise he does very well at the stretch 4
Did I miss something about us and this kid?

He's one of the two stretch 4s the staff prefers. The other is Pete Nance. Both are in the NBA draft, so we must wait to see if one or both withdraw.

And his junior year he shot 40% from 3.

From what I have seen this kid could light it up and has excellent handles. He doesn’t shoot the 3 as well as Brady, But otherwise he does very well at the stretch 4
Did I miss something about us and this kid?
As much as I despise Baylor (and Drew), Mullet-boy can flat-out play, and in many ways was under-utilized there at times. Right now, he and the Northwestern kid are the prime targets. Either one would be a fine pickup.

I like the Nance kid a bit more for the reason that he can back up Mando when we need to get him a rest. Mullet-guy can't do that. We're much deeper on the wing. But I do like how hard he plays and his defensive chops. He'll be a good pick up for someone.
I like Nance also but as I have said Mayer has played on a championship contender the last four years. That is as valuable as it gets. And to the ( he can't play any five ). How do you know that ? He didn't have to at Baylor but that doesn't mean he couldn't at times if needed . I'm holding out hope that Washington gets healthy enough to help there and maybe a little bit of Shaver but to say a savvy guy like Mayer ( CAN'T ) play ANY five just seems like a guess not a fact . I'm guessing also but I'm basing that off of his athletic ability and overall experience plus he's a strong kid. I'll take either ... Nance or Mayer and be very happy 😎 🥁✌️

I like Nance also but as I have said Mayer has played on a championship contender the last four years. That is as valuable as it gets. And to the ( he can't play any five ). How do you know that ? He didn't have to at Baylor but that doesn't mean he couldn't at times if needed . I'm holding out hope that Washington gets healthy enough to help there and maybe a little bit of Shaver but to say a savvy guy like Mayer ( CAN'T ) play ANY five just seems like a guess not a fact . I'm guessing also but I'm basing that off of his athletic ability and overall experience plus he's a strong kid. I'll take either ... Nance or Mayer and be very happy 😎 🥁✌️

Legit points and I don't necessarily disagree. I think you're overvaluing his championship experience as we have plenty of guys now with that. We don't have to have a guy that comes battle tested as our whole returning team now has that experience. I think Mayer played the 2-3 mostly at Baylor, maybe some 4. To ask him to play the 5 in stretches is a tall order over a guy that has started at the 5 in the B1G. And let's consider how fortunate we were last season with regard to players missing time. If Bacot goes out for any extended period of time, I'd rather rely on a 5 playing the 5 than a wing with no experience playing the 5. Also, Mayer seems like a copy of Puff with regard to skill set. More experienced in that role but still the same player - tough nosed defender, rebounder and slasher with some 3 point capability.

I want to believe Washington is ready to play but we don't know about his injury recovery. And I think I remember reading that Washington wasn't interested in spending much time as a 5. He prefers to be used as a stretch 4. But if he's not ready and anything happens to Mando, we'd be screwed. Nance closes that hole, offers 3 point shooting so he can double as a stretch 4, looks to be a good thinker with high bball IQ, moves his feet fairly well on the PnR defense up top and passes the ball well.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Legit points and I don't necessarily disagree. I think you're overvaluing his championship experience as we have plenty of guys now with that. We don't have to have a guy that comes battle tested as our whole returning team now has that experience. I think Mayer played the 2-3 mostly at Baylor, maybe some 4. To ask him to play the 5 in stretches is a tall order over a guy that has started at the 5 in the B1G. And let's consider how fortunate we were last season with regard to players missing time. If Bacot goes out for any extended period of time, I'd rather rely on a 5 playing the 5 than a wing with no experience playing the 5. Also, Mayer seems like a copy of Puff with regard to skill set. More experienced in that role but still the same player - tough nosed defender, rebounder and slasher with some 3 point capability.

I want to believe Washington is ready to play but we don't know about his injury recovery. And I think I remember reading that Washington wasn't interested in spending much time as a 5. He prefers to be used as a stretch 4. But if he's not ready and anything happens to Mando, we'd be screwed. Nance closes that hole, offers 3 point shooting so he can double as a stretch 4, looks to be a good thinker with high bball IQ, moves his feet fairly well on the PnR defense up top and passes the ball well.
I think we mainly agree . I said earlier on the other board that Nance was my preference but it seemed as though most of the posters were leaning toward Mayer and I said I was fine with him also. I wouldn't discount the fact that Mayer played on a top 10 team for four years and a championship team at that . Yes we now have guys that have experienced that but adding another INSTEAD of one who hasn't carries merit also . Look, I like Nance an awful lot but in being honest Mayer looks like the tougher more battle tested kid to me . Of course that's just an opinion . Honestly I don't think we can go wrong with either . And btw if Washington is healthy and Hubert needs him to play some five he'll play some five . The next year with him and GG both on the team neither will play exclusively at the four if they want to be on the court at the same time . Always a GDTBATH 😎 🥁✌️

I think we mainly agree . I said earlier on the other board that Nance was my preference but it seemed as though most of the posters were leaning toward Mayer and I said I was fine with him also. I wouldn't discount the fact that Mayer played on a top 10 team for four years and a championship team at that . Yes we now have guys that have experienced that but adding another INSTEAD of one who hasn't carries merit also . Look, I like Nance an awful lot but in being honest Mayer looks like the tougher more battle tested kid to me . Of course that's just an opinion . Honestly I don't think we can go wrong with either . And btw if Washington is healthy and Hubert needs him to play some five he'll play some five . The next year with him and GG both on the team neither will play exclusively at the four if they want to be on the court at the same time . Always a GDTBATH 😎 🥁✌️

Yeah, we do mostly agree. The last thing I'll say as I forgot to include it in my previous poast is this:

Both of these guys have entered the draft. I think both ultimately decide to come back to college but it means that both have their eye on being pro ballers. And because of that, one or both may be looking for a situation that offers them 30 mpg. Neither will get that at Carolina. At least, I don't want them too. In fact, I don't want either to start. I want a proven guy that is happy to come off the bench for roughly 20 mpg. So above all else, I think this needs to be the foremost consideration. Because if you bring in a guy to start, it's going to do a number on Puff and Styles' psyche. I'm not sure they'll be content with that and we might end up losing one or both of them.

As I pointed out in another post, Nance has never played on a winning team. Like Murray State's KJ Williams, Mayer has never played on a losing team.

Does it matter?

Meanwhile, whereas KJ Williams played in a mediocre conference and mainly against lesser talent, both Nance and Mayer have been well tested against good teams and played in top conferences.

At a glance, Mayer has the worst stats among the 3.

Has KJ Williams dropped off our radar?

If we get either Nance or Mayer and they can mesh half as well as Manek did, we’ll be in fine shape next season. Looks like both may be NBA quality players.Mayer possesses one of the sweetest strokes you’d want to see, with a high release point and high arcing trajectory. I could see either one as a good fit providing, as Slinger said, they are willing to sacrifice a little for the good of the team and a legitimate chance to win a title. Has anyone ever won a NCAAT on two different teams before?

Yeah, we do mostly agree. The last thing I'll say as I forgot to include it in my previous poast is this:

Both of these guys have entered the draft. I think both ultimately decide to come back to college but it means that both have their eye on being pro ballers. And because of that, one or both may be looking for a situation that offers them 30 mpg. Neither will get that at Carolina. At least, I don't want them too. In fact, I don't want either to start. I want a proven guy that is happy to come off the bench for roughly 20 mpg. So above all else, I think this needs to be the foremost consideration. Because if you bring in a guy to start, it's going to do a number on Puff and Styles' psyche. I'm not sure they'll be content with that and we might end up losing one or both of them.
Fair enough . We do not agree on the starting part though . Do I think Puff and Styles are capable starters? Well the answer to that is yes BUT . Neither of them are nearly as accustomed to that roll as Mayer or Nance so I go with either Mayer or Nance for at least 25 min a game. I can't gauge what Styles would do but I really like the energy that Puff brings off of the bench myself . I am of the old school approach that the best players start . Neither Puff or Styles especially are able to claim they are better in game players than Mayer or Nance ......YET . Anyway it will be interesting to see how Hubert handles this whole situation . He has my complete support . He earned it . Add a portal guy or stay with what we have we will be a more experienced team next year . Add in the summer and it will be great for all the kids . As I have said before my hope is now that Hubert has established his starting five ( minus one spot ) he will concentrate on his bench this year . I honestly think that will be a priority. 😎 🥁✌️

Free her Matt!!

3-F111-F74-4978-402-A-9-C3-B-41-A0-B66-BFB34.jpg

As much as I despise Baylor (and Drew), Mullet-boy can flat-out play, and in many ways was under-utilized there at times. Right now, he and the Northwestern kid are the prime targets. Either one would be a fine pickup.
Yeah the Mullet is a skilled kid who would fit in our system, although personally I'm ok leaving that ship unused.
The NW kid probably get blocked from here by dook girl Crissy Collins, unless that kid hates Crissy.

We're gonna wind up losing a good player or three if we keep playing this got-to-find-another-Brady Manek game. Puff and Styles I'm sure don't like this idea at all, and who could blame them?
We're playing to win games though, not protect egos. If GG was a '22 recruit and was the best player for the PF spot, should he not start? I don't see why a OAD recruit is any different than a transfer. If Mayer + Nance are as high character as they seem (only our coaches will know that), we should be happy to have them. They're great basketball players. I say assemble the best roster you can and let the playing time be earned. We were super thin last year and have a few guys who probably aren't ready to play many minutes next year, so it's not like we're stuffed to the rafters with depth.

Puff would make a great 6th man. He could sub for anyone on the court if we got Nance and we wouldn't lose a thing on offense or defense. He could still get 25-30 minutes a game. Styles could lose out on minutes, but frankly he wasn't too good as a freshman and I personally wouldn't pencil him in for a guaranteed 25 minutes a game. Doesn't seem like Hubert (or Bacot, who is openly courting transfers) wants to either.

If Styles is ready he'll get 10-15 minutes a game in any case and start as a junior. We're also one injury away from him being a 6th man, even if we get a transfer. If he's not okay with that, well... I'd live with it for an improved shot at a title with a great roster this year. Guys ranked much higher than him out of high school like Theo and Hicks didn't get tons of minutes as sophomores.

Last edited:
We're gonna wind up losing a good player or three if we keep playing this got-to-find-another-Brady Manek game. Puff and Styles I'm sure don't like this idea at all, and who could blame them?
Maybe you shouldn't speak for Puff and Styles. Do you honestly think either of them want to spend next season guarding big power forwards? Styles is 6'5". You think he wants to guard the 7 footer dook plans to play at PF? Puff weighs 205 lbs and has dealt with repeated injuries. You think he wants to bang with bigger stronger power forwards all season long?

We're playing to win games though, not protect egos. If GG was a '22 recruit and was the best player for the PF spot, should he not start? I don't see why a OAD recruit is any different than a transfer. If Mayer + Nance are as high character as they seem (only our coaches will know that), we should be happy to have them. They're great basketball players. I say assemble the best roster you can and let the playing time be earned. We were super thin last year and have a few guys who probably aren't ready to play many minutes next year, so it's not like we're stuffed to the rafters with depth.

Puff would make a great 6th man. He could sub for anyone on the court if we got Nance and we wouldn't lose a thing on offense or defense. He could still get 25-30 minutes a game. Styles could lose out on minutes, but frankly he wasn't too good as a freshman and I personally wouldn't pencil him in for a guaranteed 25 minutes a game. Doesn't seem like Hubert (or Bacot, who is openly courting transfers) wants to either.

If Styles is ready he'll get 10-15 minutes a game in any case and start as a junior. We're also one injury away from him being a 6th man, even if we get a transfer. If he's not okay with that, well... I'd live with it for an improved shot at a title with a great roster this year. Guys ranked much higher than him out of high school like Theo and Hicks din't get tons of minutes as sophomores.
I guess I'm old school. I want Carolina to be a special place to play basketball and to treat the kids as family. We're assuming that Puff can't be as good as Mayer? Why? Being here should mean something. Like I said, I'm old school.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Maybe you shouldn't speak for Puff and Styles. Do you honestly think either of them want to spend next season guarding big power forwards? Styles is 6'5". You think he wants to guard the 7 footer dook plans to play at PF? Puff weighs 205 lbs and has dealt with repeated injuries. You think he wants to bang with bigger stronger power forwards all season long?
Mayer is quite slender himself and plays more of a guard than a forward. He's not looking to bang down low, either. I seriously doubt that Styles would prefer sitting the bench for another year over playing against some physical guys. He's 6'6" or 6'7", BTW. You don't get to shrink him to suit your argument.

Mayer is quite slender himself and plays more of a guard than a forward. He's not looking to bang down low, either. I seriously doubt that Styles would prefer sitting the bench for another year over playing against some physical guys. He's 6'6" or 6'7", BTW. You don't get to shrink him to suit your argument.
Mayer is 6'9" 225 lbs.

Marvin Williams was 6'9" 230 lbs his 1 year at UNC. Manek was 6'9" 230 lbs this past season.
So if Jonas can add 5 lbs of muscle to Mayer, he'll be the same height and weight as 2 guys who were instrumental in playing minutes at PF and C for us in the past.

I think our small forwards are going to be happy they won't have to get run over all season by bigger players. I think they'll be happy to have filled the one major hole on the roster that other teams could exploit to stop our championship dreams. I think Hubert Davis was likely honest with them about what type of players he would pursue in the portal, and if they had a problem with it they would have entered the portal. I also expect they are smart enough to know the transfer deadline has passed, and they would have to sit out next year if they decided to leave the team now.

Interesting turn for the discussion....

I believe the need is frontcourt depth and I assume that's what Hubert is looking for from the portal. If his measurables are right I'm sure Mayer could play some big forward and maybe small-ball centre if needed.

Even if Mayer does play wing, Hubert basically played 4 guys on the perimeter last year but didn't have any depth... hence the short rotation. Mayer would thus add to that depth meaning more effective (fresh) minutes for all involved.

Puff is a sneaky good rebounder - he moves off the ball really well, not just like Cam, but also similarly to Justin Jackson (no, not saying he's as good as JJ was, but they play similar, cerebral basketball) So look for Puff to add value to the team, especially on the offensive boards.

Styles is a super athletic player - very bouncy and I expect to see him carve his niche on the team as a slasher, rebounder, dunker.

So even if Mayer ends up being the final piece, I don't see him stealing minutes. Rather, I see more depth which will allow Hubert to play a deeper bench and to play faster.

Anyway, that's my DSouth impersonation over...

Puff missed the latter half of his freshman year and the first half of his sophomore year due to injuries. He was complaining about his hip at the end of his sophomore season. His two best games of his sophomore season were playing small forward (subbing for an injured Leaky against State, and subbing for foul trouble Leaky against KU.)

To me, the best thing we can do for Puff's future, is play him mainly at SF and limit the amount of time he has to bang with big power forwards who outweigh him by 20+ lbs.

I'd also like to mention Mayer played a career high 22 mins per game his senior year at Baylor. This isn't a guy who is likely to end up playing 40 minute games like Manek. So there will still be minutes at PF available, and I suspect match-ups will determine the minutes from game to game. He'll likely play more minutes in the games where the opposing PF is simply too big for our small forwards and comboforwards to guard.

Reactions: randman1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT