ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Mayer?

Yeah I get new experiences but when a guy is entrenched in that Teams dna and the teams success for the last few years it’s just odd. I didn’t know if someone knew the answer as to why he is in the transfer portal and not just speculating as to why. Lol, but no way in hell do we make that run if Garrison is still on the Team. Unless Hubert just doesn’t play him like he did Kerwin. As for Platek I rooted so hard for that young man but unfortunately his great practices could never translate to games.
I’ve wondered the same think. Brooks and Andrew saw the writing on the wall. Just like Walton. This kid won a chip and was a part of it. Kinda weird but to each his own.

The good news (I hope) is that nobody is suggesting Mayer is leaving because of chemistry problems.

Our guys seem to be pretty together by the end of the last season. Winning helps, of course, but they seemed to be getting along much better than earlier in the season. I'd rather not add someone than risk that.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I've seen 2 different dates for people to pull out of the draft: June 1 and June 13.

Can someone here clarify that for me?

I’ve already told you June 1st wwjd. If I tell you a rooster dips snuff, you better be looking under his wing. Lol JK

tenor.gif

Nance, please.
For 21-22 Nance was at 45% as a 3 point shooter, field was 49%. Mayer about 34% 3 pts, field was 32%. Nance does more things as well as or better than Mayer. Nance is 6' 10" and Mayer is perhaps 6' 7". In fairness, Mayer's 3 pt numbers were better last year.

Nance is 6' 10" and Mayer is perhaps 6' 7".
Baylor lists Mayer at 6'9" 225 lbs.

Northwestern lists Nance at 6'10" 225 lbs.

I suppose we'll see who is right next week when they are measured at their respective combines.

First, it was Armando Bacot tweeting Mayer. Following that, country music star Chase Rice added his opinion on why Mayer should head to Chapel Hill. Now, Tom Colicchio, the host of Top Chef, a hit reality cooking show on Bravo, is offering a season opener dinner for the team if Mayer commits to the program.

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
geez .. why do you guys always want the next latest greatest ?? There is a solid team returning with proven potential .. you guys do remember we played for a chip this year with a short bench and a hobbled (and mauled) line up in the title game. Let these guys develop and enjoy the ride. UNC does not need Mayer unless it's a luxury and he wants to grab some NIL.

geez .. why do you guys always want the next latest greatest ?? There is a solid team returning with proven potential .. you guys do remember we played for a chip this year with a short bench and a hobbled (and mauled) line up in the title game. Let these guys develop and enjoy the ride. UNC does not need Mayer unless it's a luxury and he wants to grab some NIL.
The coaching staff and the players (at least Bacot) want Mayer.

If you have such a profound issue with that, perhaps you should take it up with them.

geez .. why do you guys always want the next latest greatest ??
Why wouldn't we?

If things work out well, we'll be very good without Mayer/Nance slotting in to replace Brady. So I get your point.

But if we have a not-so-great year for injuries, or if our youngsters need another year to get ready, then we could have a rough season without that transfer.

Adding one of these guys from the portal improves our odds.

Now if some of our returning guys had proven themselves better, or if they were on their last year of eligibility, I'd be more inclined to forgo a portal addition. But strictly from a performance standpoint, even then a portal guy would still be a good bet.

Why wouldn't we?
Not saying we should or shouldn't, just saying it seems like some are obsessing over it. Manek was definitely an exception as far as coming in and filling a need but it's probably not the best idea to obsess over finding someone in the portal every year because, as has been mentioned, players that come in from the ground up may become discouraged if they see the gunslinger (or 2) coming in every year and taking away or limiting PT they may feel they have earned. Also just don't see that great of a need for Mayer although I will admit I haven't followed his career or know that much about him other than the basics. I would think there would be a greater need for a true big to relieve Bacot. jmo

In a year when the right piece puts us over the top, I'm for bringing in someone through the portal. It would be a shame to not take advantage of 4 guys returning from the championship game. In a year where we won't be preseason top 3, then I'd say let's roll with what we have. It seems there would be less reason to potentially upset chemistry with an addition. But next year can be our year. You could argue that it could be our year anyway without bringing someone in through the portal. But I'm not sure. And as I've cited in a few of these discussions, we were super fortunate last year in regards to injury. To bet on that again defies the odds.

I do not mind an experienced transfer who comes in with some maturity. Less lockerroom issues likely in my opinion. Remember Manek essentially called out some people earlier this year afetr we had some less than impressive efforts. I think an older guy can do that. Now bringing in the soph or even junior who clearly is moving on because he wasn't getting his at the last stop is different.

Yup .. we were incredibly fortunate in the injury dept. until the end. That's why I'm thinking the need for a big with potential is a greater need than Mayer .. not saying that there is no one already there that can do the job .. just saying a proven big might fill the greater need at the moment. jmo

Proven potential vs proven four year talent. No brainer to me. I think the boys that came back to win a championship agree. Otherwise why the tweets by Bacot. :cool: 🥁✌️

Proven potential vs proven four year talent. No brainer to me. I think the boys that came back to win a championship agree. Otherwise why the tweets by Bacot. :cool: 🥁✌️
I don't do Twitter. Are we seeing similar tweets from other UNC players - in particular players likely to lose PT if Mayer comes aboard?

I also wonder why Mayer wants to leave Baylor, and what his Baylor teammates think about him jumping ship. I mean I'm sure they don't begrudge him testing the NBA waters, but how do they feel about him leaving for another team?

I'm picturing that press conference when our guys were asked about Dawson and they all kinda laughed and dodged the question. I got the distinct impression that they weren't sorry to see him leave. Don't know if that's true or, if true, why they felt that way. But that's why I'd be curious to know what Mayer's Baylor teammates feel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT