ADVERTISEMENT

Meaningless Coaching Hypothetical

ChiShankCity

Hall of Famer
Apr 2, 2005
Say we're really bad next season and there's an opportunity to move on from Hubert. Would you entertain Chris Beard? His DV charges were dropped. He probably won't coach next season because it's too soon to hire him. But assuming he has a clean year, would you entertain that? He's probably easily one of the 10 best coaches in the country.

I know a bunch here will want Wes Miller. Most will want to stay in the family. But I'll bring up a free agent who's one of the best 10 coaches in the country. Texas looked like a Final Four team before his DV situation.

• Wow
Reactions: Psychward4
Texas is looking fine after his departure this year as well. The Domestic gives him ZERO chance in my opinion. I don't see Hubert going anywhere though, so I think it is a moot point.

Reactions: DaSheed and Archer2
Say we're really bad next season and there's an opportunity to move on from Hubert. Would you entertain Chris Beard? His DV charges were dropped. He probably won't coach next season because it's too soon to hire him. But assuming he has a clean year, would you entertain that? He's probably easily one of the 10 best coaches in the country.

I know a bunch here will want Wes Miller. Most will want to stay in the family. But I'll bring up a free agent who's one of the best 10 coaches in the country. Texas looked like a Final Four team before his DV situation.
You cannot possibly be serious... and this has zero to do with his personal situation.
He is a douchebag and a mercenary.

• Haha
Reactions: uncfanatic
The ethos and culture that is Carolina Basketball is far too soft and pristine to even consider making a move like that. Can't even imagine it if I tried.

Reactions: tarheel0910
You cannot possibly be serious... and this has zero to do with his personal situation.
He is a douchebag and a mercenary.
All jokes aside if you was doing the hiring who would you pick inside the "family" and the outside the "family".

I would, no doubt. He is the best coach in the history of 2 programs (Ark-Little Rock and Texas Tech) and his Texas team was ready to burst out.

He never should have been charged. The woman has said that all along.

With another sub par season, Hubert’s seat is going to get warm. It should be warm now. But a bad season next year would set up one heck of a power struggle. UNC is supposed to be a blue blood. A yearly leading team. And so am sure many of the big donors will remind Bubba of this often. But on the other side are the folks that want to protect the family no matter how bad things are. And that includes Roy. After all, Hubert was his hand picked successor as he got to fulfill the one wish Dean had that he didn’t get to deliver in when he retired. But this is a business. Without some miracle turnaround, which I don’t see at this point, and a top 10 level effort next year, there are some decisions that need to be made. Personally, I want to win. At this point, I could care less about anybody with a UNC pedigree. But we will see what happens.

Reactions: NoseButt
With another sub par season, Hubert’s seat is going to get warm. It should be warm now. But a bad season next year would set up one heck of a power struggle. UNC is supposed to be a blue blood. A yearly leading team. And so am sure many of the big donors will remind Bubba of this often. But on the other side are the folks that want to protect the family no matter how bad things are. And that includes Roy. After all, Hubert was his hand picked successor as he got to fulfill the one wish Dean had that he didn’t get to deliver in when he retired. But this is a business. Without some miracle turnaround, which I don’t see at this point, and a top 10 level effort next year, there are some decisions that need to be made. Personally, I want to win. At this point, I could care less about anybody with a UNC pedigree. But we will see what happens.
Bubba cannot let Roy be the defacto AD again. Roy already had his pick for succession, if that pick fails and needs fired then he should not get additional time just because Roy picked him.

Reactions: NoseButt
Some of you may know that my wife's school is Ole Miss. There are now a bunch of Ole Miss fans talking about the possibility of hiring Chris Beard.

Hubert will get 2024 with his #1 recruiting class. If he doesn't succeed, go get Nate Oats.

Hubert will get 2024 with his #1 recruiting class. If he doesn't succeed, go get Nate Oats.
Serious question #1: Is Nate Oats that good? Four seasons at Alabama, no losing seasons, but only 2 of them were really good. Certainly a decent showing, but he's not even winning 70%.

Obviously they are headed to the NCAAT, for the 3rd straight time under Oates. So maybe he is that good. Or he could be a flash in the pan who lucked out on a few great players.

Serious question #2: Why would he leave Alabama if he really is that good? I know Alabama is a football school, but is that a bad thing? We fans think of UNC as best possible coaching job. Maybe a couple of peers, but not many. So of course everyone should swoon to be offered the post. But is that really true?

Maybe Oates - who is 48 - would rather build his own legacy than walk in the shadows cast by Dean and Roy. Not to mention having to deal with such unruly fans.

Serious question #1: Is Nate Oats that good? Four seasons at Alabama, no losing seasons, but only 2 of them were really good. Certainly a decent showing, but he's not even winning 70%.

Obviously they are headed to the NCAAT, for the 3rd straight time under Oates. So maybe he is that good. Or he could be a flash in the pan who lucked out on a few great players.

Serious question #2: Why would he leave Alabama if he really is that good? I know Alabama is a football school, but is that a bad thing? We fans think of UNC as best possible coaching job. Maybe a couple of peers, but not many. So of course everyone should swoon to be offered the post. But is that really true?

Maybe Oates - who is 48 - would rather build his own legacy than walk in the shadows cast by Dean and Roy. Not to mention having to deal with such unruly

Nate Oats is a really good coach. He has out permormed expectations at every spot.

I think you answered number two. Alabama is football. UNC is a blue blood basketball program. Worth a call id imagine.

Maybe Oates - who is 48 - would rather build his own legacy than walk in the shadows cast by Dean and Roy. Not to mention having to deal with such unruly fans.
Not unruly fans. But any coach who is not a UNC alum or former assistant under either Dean or Roy will, have certain big money boosters itching to see him fired.

The UNC boosters have become ever more in-bred in their thinking over the decades. That is not a good thing. Ion fact in academia it is seen as among the worst things. For example, if UNC set out to have all its Deans be UNC alums and all its department heads be UNC alums, UNC's academic rankings would begin slipping if only because everyone else would se the school as having become self-referential, self-absorbed.

HD is on the warm seat right now. And next year, if HD and the coaching staff don't turn things around -- and I really have no confidence they will -- he will be on the hot seat and he will be replaced if we have a mediocre season, regardless of the DES and Roy fan-people among the boosters.

So HERE is why Jay Wright retired. My gut feeling is that a change of scenery to a legit Blue Blood program like UNC could unretire him. He would be my first choice.

Then Nate Oats and Mick Cronin would be my next best candidates. Chris Beard, despite being a skilled coach and having the DV charges dropped, will never coach at UNC.

Read elsewhere that Syracuse is going after Oates with everything they have as soon as Boeheim stops holding their program hostage. They “say” he wants to get back to that part of the country.

Hubert is not on a hot seat. Not even warm. Sheesh, he has not even got his recruiting class in,which is great, oh, and took a 1st round exit or miss the tourney team the previous 3 years to the National Championship game. Yeah, that's hot seat 😏

Read elsewhere that Syracuse is going after Oates with everything they have as soon as Boeheim stops holding their program hostage. They “say” he wants to get back to that part of the country.
That would be a very good hire for Syracuse. They need to make it happen this year. Boeheim is only going to hold that program down even more.

Reactions: yoshukai
Cool. Not too far from there. We live in north west Alabama.
Which town? I've driven through there, from Memphis to Huntsville, but I forget the Highway.

I like Oxford. She said she fell in love with it the first glance. The atmosphere that Ole MIss has for football is what I always have wantd to see UNC develop.

Which town? I've driven through there, from Memphis to Huntsville, but I forget the Highway.

I like Oxford. She said she fell in love with it the first glance. The atmosphere that Ole MIss has for football is what I always have wantd to see UNC develop.
Red Bay Al. You probably came across 72 through muscle shoals. I miss home a little(Swannanoa nc) because my parents are aging but way to liberal and crazy now. I like it here for sure. My bro in law says it’s like Mayberry. Lol Ole Miss is classy for sure. Great atmosphere

I just seems like everyone someone brings up is a scumbag, dirty, or a bad guy. It's an honest question!

Jay Wright seemed to have the job he wanted and where he was recognized as a top coach and greatly appreciated by fans. Why would he step down? The obvious answers are that he'd just had enough or that there was some problem and he had to leave.

If there was a problem, that might keep him out of coaching.

If he just had enough, he might want to give it another try after some time off.

Which is to say that if we need another coach, we should probably find out the true story. Because if he just needed a break, he's definitely worth considering.

OTOH, if he just needed a break - or if the problem has been resolved - he might just go back to Nova. They aren't exactly wowing anybody in his absence.

Jay Wright seemed to have the job he wanted and where he was recognized as a top coach and greatly appreciated by fans. Why would he step down? The obvious answers are that he'd just had enough or that there was some problem and he had to leave.

If there was a problem, that might keep him out of coaching.

If he just had enough, he might want to give it another try after some time off.

Which is to say that if we need another coach, we should probably find out the true story. Because if he just needed a break, he's definitely worth considering.

OTOH, if he just needed a break - or if the problem has been resolved - he might just go back to Nova. They aren't exactly wowing anybody in his absence.
Some dcoaxches get headed toward burn out and may nee d break. Then they might be fully refreshed for a second run.

If I were Bubba Cunningham, I'd be all over Wright to see what he is thinking.

Jay Wright isn't coming to Chapel Hill and Nate Oates isn't coming, either. HD is just in his 2nd season after having played in the National Championship. This coaching replacement talk is the biggest waste of time.

Oates will be gone soon enough. Every season he will have schools come at him until he finds an offer too good to pass up.

Literally nobody with half a brain would be upset about landing Jay Wright, however, I think that is very unlikely that he comes out of retirement for any college job.

Jay Wright isn't coming to Chapel Hill and Nate Oates isn't coming, either. HD is just in his 2nd season after having played in the National Championship. This coaching replacement talk is the biggest waste of time.
I agree that nothing is likely to change any time soon, but it's not a waste of time - as your post illustrates.

I don’t think Jay Wright would have the slightest interest. It isn’t like he didn’t have a top of the line, successful, program at Villanova. So coming to Chapel Hill wouldn’t have the impressive draw it might to others. And he is already beyond independently wealthy so doesn’t need a big pay day. I think he got out because he saw the game changing with transfer portal and NIL and just didn’t want to fool with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT