ADVERTISEMENT

Meaningless Coaching Hypothetical

I don’t think Jay Wright would have the slightest interest. It isn’t like he didn’t have a top of the line, successful, program at Villanova. So coming to Chapel Hill wouldn’t have the impressive draw it might to others. And he is already beyond independently wealthy so doesn’t need a big pay day. I think he got out because he saw the game changing with transfer portal and NIL and just didn’t want to fool with it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but the key word in this thread is "Hypothetical"!

Merely responding to his name being brought up in the thread. Personally I know TAMU has as much, or more money, than anybody in the country. But if the need arises I’d try to get Buzz Williams in a heart beat.

I don’t think Jay Wright would have the slightest interest. It isn’t like he didn’t have a top of the line, successful, program at Villanova. So coming to Chapel Hill wouldn’t have the impressive draw it might to others. And he is already beyond independently wealthy so doesn’t need a big pay day. I think he got out because he saw the game changing with transfer portal and NIL and just didn’t want to fool with it.
Agreed. And Hubert will get at least two more years. UNC wanted an African American coach, Phil was being groomed as the heir apparent until he got too many DUI’s. The administration will give Hubert every chance to be successful. I think that means through the ‘25 season, especially if the ‘24 class remains committed. By then we’ll know if Hubert can learn enough, quickly enough to deserve to be the HC at UNC. I have my doubts but I’ll be rooting for him. We couldn’t have a nicer man in charge. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always equate to success in one’s job.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Agreed. And Hubert will get at least two more years. UNC wanted an African American coach, Phil was being groomed as the heir apparent until he got too many DUI’s. The administration will give Hubert every chance to be successful. I think that means through the ‘25 season, especially if the ‘24 class remains committed. By then we’ll know if Hubert can learn enough, quickly enough to deserve to be the HC at UNC. I have my doubts but I’ll be rooting for him. We couldn’t have a nicer man in charge. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always equate to success in one’s job.
Interesting that you used the word nice. I read a quote from Jawad Williams this morning about the team. He said something along the lines of, it's better to be respected than to be liked. Also mentioned accountability and hard choices.

Reactions: Archer2 and Sk1310
Interesting that you used the word nice. I read a quote from Jawad Williams this morning about the team. He said something along the lines of, it's better to be respected than to be liked. Also mentioned accountability and hard choices.
I think you can be nice and respected too. I also think you can be both of those and demand accountability.

I think you can be nice and respected too. I also think you can be both of those and demand accountability.
Judging by his comments, he seemed to think the respect and accountability were missing. I know a lot of people talk about how nice Hubert is and how he's a great guy. That may be true, but those people usually don't excel at this level. You have to be mean sometimes and not willing to care about people's feelings. I'm not sure Hubert can do that.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Oates will be gone soon enough. Every season he will have schools come at him until he finds an offer too good to pass up.

Literally nobody with half a brain would be upset about landing Jay Wright, however, I think that is very unlikely that he comes out of retirement for any college job.
I hear that Oates may be in some trouble himself because of the murder charge against one of his players, a couple of teammate "accomplices" and the way that is being handled.

Be nice and still be respected yes, you can not be their buddy and command the needed respect. That is a concern I have with Hubert, has he crossed the line to being more their friend than their coach. Both Dean as well as Roy presented more of a fatherly figure to their players. You know, a father loves you, a father wants what is best for you, but a father will command a level of respect that is the key.

Not suggesting the players overtly disrespect Hubert, in fact I believe any of our players would be quick to tell you how much they respect Hubert. But to come out not totally ready to play is in it's self an act of disrespect, I don't think the players realize this. Of course my generation did a really poor job of teaching respect to our kids and we are a generation removed from that now.

Reactions: Archer2
Be nice and still be respected yes, you can not be their buddy and command the needed respect. That is a concern I have with Hubert, has he crossed the line to being more their friend than their coach. Both Dean as well as Roy presented more of a fatherly figure to their players. You know, a father loves you, a father wants what is best for you, but a father will command a level of respect that is the key.

Not suggesting the players overtly disrespect Hubert, in fact I believe any of our players would be quick to tell you how much they respect Hubert. But to come out not totally ready to play is in it's self an act of disrespect, I don't think the players realize this. Of course my generation did a really poor job of teaching respect to our kids and we are a generation removed from that now.
Contrary to what some have come to believe, Dean was not a kindly, softy coach to players. He often reamed them, just not in public and not with anything like the loud profanity of a Bob Knight. It was Guthridge who was the softy, including occasionally soothing egos that had been bruised by Dean.

Last edited:
If he doesn't get fully up to snuff and is kept 5 years, UNC basketball could fall rather low at a most perilous time. The ACC is not guaranteed to be untouchable for more than maybe 4 years. By then, the buyout will be down because the remaining contract its shorter. As UNC football seems happy with mediocrity, why would either ASEC or BT want to buy UNC out of the ACC if its basketball has also become a mediocre mess?

“Players coaches” rarely succeed long term at a high level. You have to have that edge and command respect in the locker room. Sometimes the line has to be drawn. All the best coaches had that ability. Hubert doesn’t seem to be able to flip the switch and jump down a players throat when needed which is why Love is allowed to do whatever he wants with no repercussions.

“Players coaches” rarely succeed long term at a high level. You have to have that edge and command respect in the locker room. Sometimes the line has to be drawn. All the best coaches had that ability. Hubert doesn’t seem to be able to flip the switch and jump down a players throat when needed which is why Love is allowed to do whatever he wants with no repercussions.
I sure hope that is not the case.

HD has been in basketball from birth! He MUST know that! He's been in all facets of basketball. There's no way that he's not aware of that variable.

I sure hope that is not the case.

HD has been in basketball from birth! He MUST know that! He's been in all facets of basketball. There's no way that he's not aware of that variable.
It's hard to change your personality and he might genuinely think he could be the first to do it.

but you're (yet again) as predcitable as humidity in the summer.

Post less.
As are you since you can't answer a simple question. This is a place for discussion why do you constantly avoid the chances to participate engage in a simple discussion!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT