ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Kiper Says Mitch Trubisky Should Return to UNC in 2017

That's a tough decision if he thinks slipping into the second or even third round is a legit possibility. If that's the case then you gotta think about coming back and solidifying yourself as a high first round pick.

Mitch tailed off pretty significantly late in the season. I'm sure Kiper knows a lot more about Mitch's draft status than most of us. I guess we'll see but my gut says he leaves.

I definitely am not going to get my hopes up but having Mitch and/or Hood back next year could drastically alter the conversation about next season

message to mitch is this: true champions finish what they started. mitch started to build a great team at unc but fell short with several bad games against rivals we should have beaten. mitch, come back and establish your legacy as a great college QB, then make your big bucks. yes, i know all about the fear of injury. but injuries heal... lost opportunities for greatness don't.

message to mitch is this: true champions finish what they started. mitch started to build a great team at unc but fell short with several bad games against rivals we should have beaten. mitch, come back and establish your legacy as a great college QB, then make your big bucks. yes, i know all about the fear of injury. but injuries heal... lost opportunities for greatness don't.
This such a bullshit post. #10 is not why we lost to Duke or State, but he IS why we beat FSU and Pittsburgh. Mitch has put in 4 years at Carolina. He doesn't owe UNC a damn thing. If he chooses to go pro, I fully support it.

This such a bullshit post. #10 is not why we lost to Duke or State, but he IS why we beat FSU and Pittsburgh. Mitch has put in 4 years at Carolina. He doesn't owe UNC a damn thing. If he chooses to go pro, I fully support it.

Agreed. I would LOVE for Mitch to come back, he has been not only a great player on the field, but a great representative for the university off the field. It should be pretty obvious that he could have easily found another place to play instead of waiting it out behind Quise. The wins against Pitt and FSU were some of the best moments I've ever had as a Carolina football fan so if he decides to leave he'll get nothing but thanks and support from me.

The 4 years is the biggest point. He has put in 4 years at UNC - the number of years of eligibility, and the number of years of a standard college education. It is one thing to be against 1 and Done and 2 and Done players in basketball (I am such a person), but there is no ground to oppose a player who chooses to be 4 and Done.

If Trubisky wants to use college to improve parts of his game while solidifying his draft number as high as possible, then I will be pleased. If he goes, I know he owed UNC football nothing more.

Mitch tailed off pretty significantly late in the season. I'm sure Kiper knows a lot more about Mitch's draft status than most of us. I guess we'll see but my gut says he leaves.
His accuracy went down some, but he certainly didn't tail off significantly. His QBR for the last 4 games was 85.3, 78.3, 98.3 and 66.8.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
His accuracy went down some, but he certainly didn't tail off significantly. His QBR for the last 4 games was 85.3, 78.3, 98.3 and 66.8.
He looked somewhat human in his last few games, that's why people think he "struggled." Compared to his superhuman performances against FSU (seriously he was retardedly good against the Noles), Pitt, and others.

He looked somewhat human in his last few games, that's why people think he "struggled." Compared to his superhuman performances against FSU (seriously he was retardedly good against the Noles), Pitt, and others.
That 4 game streak he had close to the beginning of the season was ridiculous. He wasn't going to be able to keep that pace up. I think part of the reason his performance went down in a couple of those games was due to the talk of him being a first round pick. That kind of stuck in his head I think. The WR had a lot of drops as well.

"message to mitch is this: true champions finish what they started. mitch started to build a great team at unc but fell short with several bad games against rivals we should have beaten. mitch, come back and establish your legacy as a great college QB, then make your big bucks. yes, i know all about the fear of injury. but injuries heal... lost opportunities for greatness don't."

I didn't say mitch cost us those games, but i haven't heard anybody praise his performance in our losses to weaker rivals. when a team stinks it does not enhance the quarterback's image as a winner. and i never said mitch "owes" us anything. nobody doubts mitch's skills, but returning for his senior year to be a champion is something special--- for himself, not for us. and it's quite possible that leading the heels to a coastal title without embarrassing losses could help his draft status. you know, it's not unheard of for a guy to postpone his pro money a year in order to establish his collegiate legacy -- we even have some examples at unc. and i never said i wouldn't support mitch's decision if he goes pro. but if mitch takes my advice and comes back for a great senior season would you still consider that "bullshit"?

Your entire premise is faulty. "True champions finish what they started." What exactly does Mitch need to "finish" ?

"Mitch started to build a great team at UNC...." --> I didn't realize Trubisky was a recruiter.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Your entire premise is faulty. "True champions finish what they started." What exactly does Mitch need to "finish" ?

"Mitch started to build a great team at UNC...." --> I didn't realize Trubisky was a recruiter.
no he isn't, but he was a leader on the field and he was getting a lot of the credit when his team was playing great.

QB's, like coaches, tend to get a little too much credit when you win and too much blame when you lose. It comes with the territory.
i agree. but the fact remains that carolina with mitch at QB would be a coastal title contender next year, so there's an opportunity to be a champion if he can wait a year for his money. and perhaps he could get more money if the NFL values a QB who leads his team to a title.

i agree. but the fact remains that carolina with mitch at QB would be a coastal title contender next year, so there's an opportunity to be a champion if he can wait a year for his money. and perhaps he could get more money if the NFL values a QB who leads his team to a title.
Can he play WR, C, and LB?

every team has holes to fill. but is there anybody in the coastal next year with more talent than unc, especially if hood returns? are you saying we couldn't win the coastal?
Yes there are two teams with more talent. Winning the Coastal will be tough next season with or without Trubisky and Hood. Why? Because we lose all of our playmakers at receiver and special teams.

Yes there are two teams with more talent. Winning the Coastal will be tough next season with or without Trubisky and Hood. Why? Because we lose all of our playmakers at receiver and special teams.
we are returning proehl and ratliff-williams who i think will be an outstanding receiver. i think carolina would be positioned quite nicely for a coastal championship if trubisky and hood return. i simply don't agree with your pessimistic outlook.

we are returning proehl and ratliff-williams who i think will be an outstanding receiver. i think carolina would be positioned quite nicely for a coastal championship if trubisky and hood return. i simply don't agree with your pessimistic outlook.
We shall see. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if your expectations is 2017 Coastal Division Champs.

Reactions: tarheel0910
We shall see. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if your expectations is 2017 Coastal Division Champs.
if trubisky and hood go pro my expectations are low. with both those guys returning i think we have a very good chance to win the coastal.

This seems like a selfish fan-centric poast. Mitch is already being discussed as the 1st QB taken / 1st Round pick. His stock isn't going to get any higher.

he should go
I hate, and I mean HATE, to agree, but I have to. And that gets back to something I've stressed before: when you sign a player who rather clearly has NFL Top 5 round draft potential, play him as a true freshman, because he almost certainly will not be on campus for 5 years.

This seems like a selfish fan-centric poast.....
yes, i am a selfish fan. i want mitch to come back for a fabulous senior season, i want him to dominate the coastal, upset clemson or fsu in the title game for our first acc title since 1980 (36 years ago!), make first team all-american, be a heisman finalist perhaps winner, and go down in sports history as the guy who finally woke up the sleeping giant called carolina football. yes, i'm a terrible, selfish fan, guilty as charged.

I hate, and I mean HATE, to agree, but I have to. And that gets back to something I've stressed before: when you sign a player who rather clearly has NFL Top 5 round draft potential, play him as a true freshman, because he almost certainly will not be on campus for 5 years.
you're right woad, he should have gotten a few more mop up minutes last year.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I think he should go and will go. But I'll agree with Jimmy that I would love to see him back. He'd be a big boost to the team next year. If he does leave it looks like we have a great shot at Zaire though, who would hopefully be a nice one year stop gap while Surratt develops.

Why does anyone go to college in the first place? To prepare for the career they want to go into. If a kid on academic scholarship were to be given a top paying job after a few years of college, even if he wasn't going to graduate before taking it, not many people would even question it. granted, that would almost never happen since most careers pay better with a degree, but sports isn't like other careers.

The way I look at it is this. Mitch has been here 4 years. He gave us good minutes as a backup and even better as a starter. He is going into a profession where he won't work more than 10-12 years if he's lucky. An injury or something that cuts his time short means he has to switch gears. Yes, a degree would mean that move would be easier, but that isn't what he wants to do first. He wants to play QB in the NFL. If he wants to leave, as far as I am concerned he has done all UNC has asked for him to do to earn the scholarship that paid for his time there. If he comes back later to get his degree, he will pay for it. I am fine with that.

Bottom line is he needs to do what is best for him and no one else. He has access to people who will give him good advice and I am sure he will not jump into anything without really considering all the pros and cons. For everyone who says he needs to come back to get better, if he doesn't have the OL to protect him or the WR's to make the catches, then he loses. He will be less likely to earn what he can now. If he gets hurt and misses the entire year, he could lose millions.

I can't blame the kid for leaving to go do what he love while he has the chance to get paid a lot of money to do it.

Cant turn down that kind of money,period. When he shows what he can do at the combine he will go top 5 to many drafts show hes top 5,when all said and done he will go #1 to his dream team which is Cleveland. Tarheel Nation will survive as long as we keep Coach Fedora for many more years just wait and see.

i'm badly outnumbered here :(. to some extent my argument is being misconstrued as money vs. glory which of course would be a no-brainer to take the money. the point of disagreement is think is whether mitch's financial opportunity is a "now or never" thing. my impression is that career ending injuries are not that common for quarterbacks, especially a pocket passer, but a huge insurance policy would offer financial security in that unlikely event. a lesser injury could raise question marks and lower mitch's nfl offer, but pro scouts know what they're looking for and a temporary setback wouldn't negate their perceived investment. what's being overlooked here is the possibility that coming back to college could bring mitch greater wealth. leading the tar heels to our first acc championship since 1980 would make him an historically important, high profile winner whose financial worth would be augmented not only by pro teams who crave a QB with a championship mentality, but don't forget about endorsements! it's an obvious fact that nfl fans and the companies that sell to those fans love winners, especially those who value trophies as much as dollar signs. sure, coming back to school is a bit of a gamble, but every great achievement is a gamble. no risk no glory. i hereby rest my case as a lone voice saying "mitch come back to school and fulfill your destiny, man."

In the NFL with the current rookie salary structure, i'm not sure how much Mitch would even have to gain by being drafted a few slots higher if he's already a first round QB. How he does under his first contract seems to be what would really get him paid. So if he thinks another year here will make him better in the NFL from the start, maybe he'll consider staying, but man it would be hard to fault him for going. Either way, I wish him the best and have enjoyed watching him.

...it would be hard to fault him for going....
i know, and i don't fault him. very few people nowadays would pass up money for some other goal. money talks, as they say. but there are examples of great athletes returning for one more year in school to make a statement before grabbing the bucks. is mitch one of them? is he one of those special players with a deep thirst for glory for himself and his school? mitch's got talent, but heart of a champion is still unproven.

i know, and i don't fault him. very few people nowadays would pass up money for some other goal. money talks, as they say. but there are examples of great athletes returning for one more year in school to make a statement before grabbing the bucks. is mitch one of them? is he one of those special players with a deep thirst for glory for himself and his school? mitch's got talent, but heart of a champion is still unproven.
You're still missing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT