ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Kiper Says Mitch Trubisky Should Return to UNC in 2017

i know, and i don't fault him. very few people nowadays would pass up money for some other goal. money talks, as they say. but there are examples of great athletes returning for one more year in school to make a statement before grabbing the bucks. is mitch one of them? is he one of those special players with a deep thirst for glory for himself and his school? mitch's got talent, but heart of a champion is still unproven.

See, this right here is why everybody is calling you out. That's f---ing bull shit. There's not a damn thing wrong with wanting him to come back as a fan. Every single one of us wants to see him in Carolina blue next year, as long as he decides that's what's best for him. But acting like he hasn't already proven he has the "heart of a champion" or anything else for that matter is BS. That kid is probably the greatest QB in the history of Carolina football, and we're just unlucky that we didn't get to watch him under center for longer.

If he didn't have the "heart of a champion" then I doubt he would've made it through sitting 3 years before becoming QB1. You'd have to be callously indifferent to the level of commitment these guys put in, or just totally ignorant of Mitch's achievements on the field to ever say something like that about #10.

See, this right here is why everybody is calling you out. That's f---ing bull shit. There's not a damn thing wrong with wanting him to come back as a fan. Every single one of us wants to see him in Carolina blue next year, as long as he decides that's what's best for him. But acting like he hasn't already proven he has the "heart of a champion" or anything else for that matter is BS. That kid is probably the greatest QB in the history of Carolina football, and we're just unlucky that we didn't get to watch him under center for longer.

If he didn't have the "heart of a champion" then I doubt he would've made it through sitting 3 years before becoming QB1. You'd have to be callously indifferent to the level of commitment these guys put in, or just totally ignorant of Mitch's achievements on the field to ever say something like that about #10.
Exactly.

I feel hes staying barring an incredible bowl game performance that raises his draft stock. Course the case could be made that a great performance would also carry into next season and put him squarely in the heisman race.

...If he didn't have the "heart of a champion" then I doubt he would've made it through sitting 3 years before becoming QB1. You'd have to be callously indifferent to the level of commitment these guys put in, or just totally ignorant of Mitch's achievements on the field to ever say something like that about #10.
i am very much aware of the hard work invested by student athletes, and if that is your definition of a champion then everybody on our roster is a champion. when i said "unproven" i meant to the rest of the college football world, not die-hard mitch fans, of which i am one. whether you want to accept it or not college football defines a championship quarterback as one who at least contends for a (you guessed it) championship. in this case it would be leading unc to a coastal division championship at least. that's the #1 reason i want mitch to return -- to build a widely accepted legacy of a champion -- not just your opinion or mine. perhaps if i had said "unproven to the rest of the world" you would not have been so harsh.

I feel hes staying barring an incredible bowl game performance that raises his draft stock. Course the case could be made that a great performance would also carry into next season and put him squarely in the heisman race.
Most have him projected as a first round pick and/or the first QB taken in the draft. Not sure how much more he could raise his stock.

Most have him projected as a first round pick and/or the first QB taken in the draft. Not sure how much more he could raise his stock.

This. If he's a first round pick, even back end of the first round, he doesn't have much to gain financially by staying in college. If anything it is one less year playing amd making a highly salary by staying. That said, I would love for him to stay selfishly.

Mitch is as good as gone. He won't fall further then Cleveland's second first round pick and will probably be gone before that.

i am very much aware of the hard work invested by student athletes, and if that is your definition of a champion then everybody on our roster is a champion. when i said "unproven" i meant to the rest of the college football world, not die-hard mitch fans, of which i am one. whether you want to accept it or not college football defines a championship quarterback as one who at least contends for a (you guessed it) championship. in this case it would be leading unc to a coastal division championship at least. that's the #1 reason i want mitch to return -- to build a widely accepted legacy of a champion -- not just your opinion or mine. perhaps if i had said "unproven to the rest of the world" you would not have been so harsh.

You questioned whether he had the "heart of a champion," not the rings of a champion.

Mitch is as good as gone. He won't fall further then Cleveland's second first round pick and will probably be gone before that.
Sadly, true. Would the possibility of a Heisman entice him to stay on campus a 5th year? Not likely.

For once, UNC had a QB able to be the top QB in the draft, and we sat him for 3 years. We are extremely fortunate that he did not transfer.

Reactions: dgheel57
You questioned whether he had the "heart of a champion," not the rings of a champion.
i said it was "unproven." you and i may believe mitch has that very rare quality, but unless he comes back to school and leads his heels to a great season, or leads an nfl team to overachieve or win a conference, the rest of the football world won't know his potential for greatness. it will be our little secret among carolina homers, and we'll argue how the defense stunk, the oc stunk, the weather was bad etc etc etc, but truly great players don't need arguments. truly great players inspire their teammates to find a way to win. when mitch is drafted in the first round everybody will know he's talented, but you and i are talking about something more than talent and something more than just working hard. at least i am.

Last edited:
The "possibility" of being a Heisman candidate isn't worth it. I'm not convinced he would even be in-the-running.

If it were somehow guaranteed that he would, that would be different.

this year is mitch's first and only season with ample playing time. next year i think he would be GREAT!!!

Sure but some are saying he could be one of the first qb's taken if he opts for the draft. Personally I hope he stays, along with Hood. But if he goes then I wish him well.
Kizer, Webb, Watson are all more proven starters.

Then I saw Kaaya and Falk in the Top 10, so it must be a weak class.

Sadly, true. Would the possibility of a Heisman entice him to stay on campus a 5th year? Not likely.

For once, UNC had a QB able to be the top QB in the draft, and we sat him for 3 years. We are extremely fortunate that he did not transfer.

we saw the reason he sat for 3 years.

Balancing another year in college vs. what may be a low 1st round or maybe 2nd round draft pick.

If Mitch is satisfied he is late first round he should go. At that spot is he a project for a good team and won't be pressed to perform early. He can take a year to train and develop under professional guidance. If Mitch goes high 2nd round to a bad team, that could actually hamper his development depending on the situation he is thrust into.

On the other hand, is coming back to a brand new OL the right move to showcase his talents?

Tough call IMO.

Just read an article where his parents were talking about how he got annoyed when even they tried to talk to him about the NFL. I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic that it's because he wants to come back and he's tired of people telling him about how good the money would be :D

Just read an article where his parents were talking about how he got annoyed when even they tried to talk to him about the NFL. I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic that it's because he wants to come back and he's tired of people telling him about how good the money would be :D
Could be he's annoyed by people trying to push him into the NFL or to stay at UNC or that he's annoyed just because they won't leave him alone about it.

Kizer, Webb, Watson are all more proven starters.

Then I saw Kaaya and Falk in the Top 10, so it must be a weak class.
Well, apparently the experts and NFL scouts think he is worth the risk. He is consistently mentioned as the first or second QB in the draft and yes, this is a relatively weak class. Even if Mitch comes back and has an even better season there is no guarantee that he will be drafted in the first or second round. From a business standpoint he should go now. The only reason to come back would be the "finish what he started" train of thought. Given what we are losing this year on offense, it will be hard to win the coastal. Our chances of winning the conference would be slim at best. The question becomes is he more of a "glory" person or a business person?

Mitch is gone. Dont set yourself up for disappointment. He's making a wise business decision, plain and simple. GO HEELS
I think so too. We lose a ton on offense and play an even tougher slate of games. He should strike while his stock is high, it will in all likelihood not be as high after next year, if he returns with far fewer offensive weapons. From a strictly business POV, it's a no brainier, IMO.

Reactions: tarheel0910
After watching USC's freshman QB, and Oklahoma's QB last night... Trubisky can't come close to them! And, those two are returning next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT