ADVERTISEMENT

More Realignment News

Or they, and perhaps Utah and Arizona St, could ask to enter the ACC.
Why would they do that? Even at a reduced share in the Big, they would almost certainly still get more than an ACC share. Not to mention the conference will be dead in 10 years.

The question is how big do they want to be. If it's 20 then I think the most likely additions are Oregon, Washington, UVA and us. If it's going to 24, then you can add Stanford, GT, Miami and duke/Cal. I think they would probably want Cal more than duke, but they might use duke to entice us. I'm of the belief that we'll go with or without duke, though.

Something else to think about. Miami, UNC and UVA were part of the "magnificent seven." So, if all of this is true then it most likely gives all of the "magnificent seven" a place to go, because Clemson and FSU are a guaranteed take for the SEC. That leaves moo and VT, which I think would get an invite to the Big 12. They need eight to dissolve the conference. If GT or duke is a serious take, then all you need to do is convince one of them to dissolve the conference.

Of course all of this is super theoretical. These schools would need to work the back channels with the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 to make sure they would definitely get an invite. And the hardest thing to do would be to have the balls to dissolve the conference. A lot of fallout from that.

The ACC isn't looking to add anyone right now. The ACC is intact for the time being, as well.
I was more referring to the Big 12 making itself more attractive than the ACC for the future, when the new contract comes up. I didn't mean the ACC would get anyone soon. The ACC is going to have to make a big splash at some point if it wants to stay together, but I think the Big 12 is positioning itself to make sure that's not a possibility. If the best Pac teams go to the Big 10 and 12, then where does that leave the ACC? ND isn't coming. Even if they did, I don't think it would be enough.

I was more referring to the Big 12 making itself more attractive than the ACC for the future, when the new contract comes up. I didn't mean the ACC would get anyone soon. The ACC is going to have to make a big splash at some point if it wants to stay together, but I think the Big 12 is positioning itself to make sure that's not a possibility. If the best Pac teams go to the Big 10 and 12, then where does that leave the ACC? ND isn't coming. Even if they did, I don't think it would be enough.

Understood. The Big 12 is in a bit of panic mode, far more than how the ACC has been characterized, including the false narrative related to the meetings a couple of weeks ago. The Big 12 could have concern over some kind of alliance certain Pac 12 schools have with the ACC, notably the Arizona schools, so it would make sense to make a push. But truth be known, schools would leave the Big 12 for the ACC if that was ever an option. WVU would love to, but no offer has been extended and likely won't be any time soon.

Understood. The Big 12 is in a bit of panic mode, far more than how the ACC has been characterized, including the false narrative related to the meetings a couple of weeks ago. The Big 12 could have concern over some kind of alliance certain Pac 12 schools have with the ACC, notably the Arizona schools, so it would make sense to make a push. But truth be known, schools would leave the Big 12 for the ACC if that was ever an option. WVU would love to, but no offer has been extended and likely won't be any time soon.
Before USC and UCLA left, I would have agreed that the Big 12 was more nervous. With them leaving, I don't think they are as worried. Everyone knows that the Big 10 is going to have to have a west coast pod at some point, which probably means Oregon and Washington at minimum. That doesn't leave much left for the Pac.

Which leaves the ACC as the main competition. In the past I would agree with the WVU jump, but would that really be a definite for them now? The money gap isn't going to be much different comparatively and the ACC is the most unstable, stable conference I've ever seen. Do they really want to join a conference that will be extremely weakened or maybe even nonexistent within 10 years with no guarantee of finding a home in the P3 conferences?

Before USC and UCLA left, I would have agreed that the Big 12 was more nervous. With them leaving, I don't think they are as worried. Everyone knows that the Big 10 is going to have to have a west coast pod at some point, which probably means Oregon and Washington at minimum. That doesn't leave much left for the Pac.

Which leaves the ACC as the main competition. In the past I would agree with the WVU jump, but would that really be a definite for them now? The money gap isn't going to be much different comparatively and the ACC is the most unstable, stable conference I've ever seen. Do they really want to join a conference that will be extremely weakened or maybe even nonexistent within 10 years with no guarantee of finding a home in the P3 conferences?

The ACC is more stable than the Big 12 and Pac 12, and the money will move up. Only some of what was discussed in Amelia Island has been reported, as most discussions and fact-finding are on going. The ACC is working on some new avenues with "loopholes" in the ESPN deal that could allow for increased revenue, notably allowing schools more control of ACC Network advertising, streaming, etc.

The seven schools dubbed the "magnificent Seven," which was a term assigned by someone in the media, which annoyed the ADs and was inaccurate, are in complete alliance with one another. They ALL recognize that their strength together is best for everyone longterm in all facets: Competition, control, and money.

There is so much going on behind the scenes right now. Allow this time to play out. The league has some smart and shrewed ADs (guikding the presidents) that have already begun moving things in the right direction with the psotseason revenue decision.

Reactions: jrheel
The ACC is more stable than the Big 12 and Pac 12, and the money will move up. Only some of what was discussed in Amelia Island has been reported, as most discussions and fact-finding are on going. The ACC is working on some new avenues with "loopholes" in the ESPN deal that could allow for increased revenue, notably allowing schools more control of ACC Network advertising, streaming, etc.

The seven schools dubbed the "magnificent Seven," which was a term assigned by someone in the media, which annoyed the ADs and was inaccurate, are in complete alliance with one another. They ALL recognize that their strength together is best for everyone longterm in all facets: Competition, control, and money.

There is so much going on behind the scenes right now. Allow this time to play out. The league has some smart and shrewed ADs (guikding the presidents) that have already begun moving things in the right direction with the psotseason revenue decision.
I agree that it's more stable, but only because the GofR forces it to. That's what I meant when I said unstable stable. I can't imagine there are enough loopholes in the contract with ESPN to make up a $50+ million deficit. The ACC is never going to get that type of money.

I'm sure the "magnificent seven" stuff wasn't 100% accurate or was misleading. Stuff like that always is, but if those AD's are as shewed as you claim they are then they've already considered making a move and how they can get there as soon as possible. There's zero chance FSU and Clemson are part of the league during the next negotiations. I would hope UNC is smart enough to leave as well. And if those three leave then I would guess several others go with them.

And I think all of them know it's just a matter of time, which makes me wish eight teams would just get together and shut down the conference before we fall too far behind. It would be sad to see the ACC go. In my perfect world the ACC would be humming along with nine teams, you would be talking about how we are the only P5 conference that plays every conference team and basketball would be preparing to play everyone twice. Unfortunately reality makes that impossible. We just need to cut off the leg before the infection spreads.

I agree that it's more stable, but only because the GofR forces it to. That's what I meant when I said unstable stable. I can't imagine there are enough loopholes in the contract with ESPN to make up a $50+ million deficit. The ACC is never going to get that type of money.

I'm sure the "magnificent seven" stuff wasn't 100% accurate or was misleading. Stuff like that always is, but if those AD's are as shewed as you claim they are then they've already considered making a move and how they can get there as soon as possible. There's zero chance FSU and Clemson are part of the league during the next negotiations. I would hope UNC is smart enough to leave as well. And if those three leave then I would guess several others go with them.

And I think all of them know it's just a matter of time, which makes me wish eight teams would just get together and shut down the conference before we fall too far behind. It would be sad to see the ACC go. In my perfect world the ACC would be humming along with nine teams, you would be talking about how we are the only P5 conference that plays every conference team and basketball would be preparing to play everyone twice. Unfortunately reality makes that impossible. We just need to cut off the leg before the infection spreads.

Yes and no. The schools are committed to making it work, and the reality of the situation is the other conferences have not invited them to join. A couple have been invited, one by the Big Ten and one by both the Big Ten and SEC, but it might not be who people think.

There is no appetite to depart from the ACC, but there is an appetite to increase revenue to better compete. The members are unified there.

By the way, FSU and Clemson are not looking to bolt, in part because the options people assume are there actually aren't.

As for eight teams departing and destroying the league, there aren't eight schools in the league that would find a better situation outside the ACC with any certainty. A few would, one being UNC. But most wouldn't.

The league is safe and the members want it to remain in tact, they just want to move things faster toward increased revenue.

I am going to go into much more detail about this on the premium board after I get back from my trip.

Yes and no. The schools are committed to making it work, and the reality of the situation is the other conferences have not invited them to join. A couple have been invited, one by the Big Ten and one by both the Big Ten and SEC, but it might not be who people think.

There is no appetite to depart from the ACC, but there is an appetite to increase revenue to better compete. The members are unified there.

By the way, FSU and Clemson are not looking to bolt, in part because the options people assume are there actually aren't.

As for eight teams departing and destroying the league, there aren't eight schools in the league that would find a better situation outside the ACC with any certainty. A few would, one being UNC. But most wouldn't.

The league is safe and the members want it to remain in tact, they just want to move things faster toward increased revenue.

I am going to go into much more detail about this on the premium board after I get back from my trip.
I don't necessarily disagree with what you said. I think our only disagreement is that I think it's true only because of the GofR. If that doesn't exist, then things look a lot different. And if we've learned anything about realignment, it's that these schools have no problem lying to the media. So, while I trust what you say, I don't trust what they tell you. Good discussion though. I always like to have this discussion from a more fact and logic based point of view. Most people just want to get mad about money taking over and talk about how it was "back in my day."

They can increase revenue, steady revenue, only 2 ways: 1) add to the top of the league in terms of value to TV (i.e. Notre Dame); 2) cut out the bottom of the league in terms of value to TV (Wake and BC).

ND clearly is not going to make that move. I think the old ACC brass would rather die, calling it noble, than cut Wake and BC. So die they will get, slowly, over a decade. And that will not do damned teensy thing for Wake or BC.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said. I think our only disagreement is that I think it's true only because of the GofR. If that doesn't exist, then things look a lot different. And if we've learned anything about realignment, it's that these schools have no problem lying to the media. So, while I trust what you say, I don't trust what they tell you. Good discussion though. I always like to have this discussion from a more fact and logic based point of view. Most people just want to get mad about money taking over and talk about how it was "back in my day."

I can tell you with you with absolute certainty the GOR has no affect on other conferences' interest in ACC schools. UNC has been invited by both, but others people would think have actually have not.

I understand your thinking, and it's something I am always on alert for. And I appreciate the conversation. Thoughtful, which is always best.

Reactions: tarheel0910
They can increase revenue, steady revenue, only 2 ways: 1) add to the top of the league in terms of value to TV (i.e. Notre Dame); 2) cut out the bottom of the league in terms of value to TV (Wake and BC).

ND clearly is not going to make that move. I think the old ACC brass would rather die, calling it noble, than cut Wake and BC. So die they will get, slowly, over a decade. And that will not do damned teensy thing for Wake or BC.

Finding a way to eliminate the financial black holes is something that has been talked about, and part of that has been put into action on a small level. More to come.

But the ACC is not adding anyone any time soon. ND would be admitted for football in a second, nobody else will be for now.

And there are other ways to increase revenue and are being worked on. Won't go into details here, but they are.

Finding a way to eliminate the financial black holes is something that has been talked about, and part of that has been put into action on a small level. More to come.

But the ACC is not adding anyone any time soon. ND would be admitted for football in a second, nobody else will be for now.

And there are other ways to increase revenue and are being worked on. Won't go into details here, but they are.
Thanks for the information update.

Reactions: andrew jones
Thanks for the information update.
The ACC always has acted too slowly. For example, the AXC never took advantage of a growing desperate Joe Pattern by wooing PSU administrators hard. Then the ACC waited too long to go to 12. That should have happened no later than the 2000-2--1 schools year, which would have meant that not only would Maimi have the ACC football National Championship in 2001, but Butch Davis probably would have stayed to be that HC who also got another Championship in 2002. That would have blown open network doors and check books back then.

Yep, you are right.
If the ACC had listened to Duke and Carolina and just added "Miami only" or stopped at Virginia Tech and Miami......................
We could go on and on about expansion/realignment mistakes, but at this point there is no reason to continue to cry over spilled milk.

Yep, you are right.
If the ACC had listened to Duke and Carolina and just added "Miami only" or stopped at Virginia Tech and Miami......................
We could go on and on about expansion/realignment mistakes, but at this point there is no reason to continue to cry over spilled milk.
Except that those who fail to learn from there mistakes of the past are definitely going to make new ones the same way.

Is acc tourney going to be ancient history soon? If so, I need to score some tix. I've only been once, before there were so many teams, but I'd like to go again anyway.

Is acc tourney going to be ancient history soon? If so, I need to score some tix. I've only been once, before there were so many teams, but I'd like to go again anyway.
I'm sure it will be around for another 10 years. After that, it might start to look a lot different if there aren't major changes made.

The ACC isn't looking to add anyone right now. The ACC is intact for the time being, as well.
Did you get the sense that things in Charlotte were the same as they were at Amelia Island?

Has there been a shift in thinking since Colorado (and possible Arizona) are moving to the Big 12?

Is the ACC as stable today as you presented it to be in the spring?

Did you get the sense that things in Charlotte were the same as they were at Amelia Island?

Has there been a shift in thinking since Colorado (and possible Arizona) are moving to the Big 12?

Is the ACC as stable today as you presented it to be in the spring?

The GOR is the GOR. Colorado moving doesn't impact the ACC at all. Nobody can leave the league right now even if they wanted to, and no schools have seriously pursued finding a way to leave. Everyone in the conference recognizes the best-case scenario for all involved is for the ACC to remain in tact while increasing revenue avenues for the money producers. That is all taking place behind the scenes.

The GOR is the GOR. Colorado moving doesn't impact the ACC at all. Nobody can leave the league right now even if they wanted to, and no schools have seriously pursued finding a way to leave. Everyone in the conference recognizes the best-case scenario for all involved is for the ACC to remain in tact while increasing revenue avenues for the money producers. That is all taking place behind the scenes.
Still no talk of expansion?

Still no talk of expansion?

Ther league has looked into it and there aren't any schools that would enhance the overall annual pot of cash, so it's not happening any time soon. ND isn't joining any time soon, but forming a TV alliance with the Irish and NBC is possible.

I can also say the ACC had spoken to the Pac-12 in the spring exploring how the leagues can help each other. Some football matchups would move the needle and bring in revenue - Oregon versus any of the top ACC football programs, Washington to a lesser extent, Utah for sure, and Arizona State could generate eyeballs. But the ACC has more attractice football programs in the post-USC/UCLA departure era than the P12.

The only way Colorado leaving is it could force other moves by teams in the P12, thus making it much less likely the ACC would form any degree of an alliance with that league.

One sure way too improve our TV number sis tomplay better OOC games. Now, the ACC overall does a good job with that already. But it could better. We could outlaw any 1AA/FCS teams, and require al schools to play at least 2 P5 teams every year, and offer incentives to play 3. If we do that and work with the Pac to ease getting those games, we could see higher numbers, which ESPN should be willing to reward.

One sure way too improve our TV number sis tomplay better OOC games. Now, the ACC overall does a good job with that already. But it could better. We could outlaw any 1AA/FCS teams, and require al schools to play at least 2 P5 teams every year, and offer incentives to play 3. If we do that and work with the Pac to ease getting those games, we could see higher numbers, which ESPN should be willing to reward.

Agree, no FCS games. But winning and improving the narrative will help immensely and give it leverage. The TV numbers are that they are regardless, but with ND looking for a new NBC deal in two years and its connection to the ACC, I can see the league trying to get involved in that deal with some stuff on NBC and a lot on Peacock, which will overpay for content. The CW stuff could move there.

Agree, no FCS games. But winning and improving the narrative will help immensely and give it leverage. The TV numbers are that they are regardless, but with ND looking for a new NBC deal in two years and its connection to the ACC, I can see the league trying to get involved in that deal with some stuff on NBC and a lot on Peacock, which will overpay for content. The CW stuff could move there.
Has the league looked into partnering with Google or Amazon for content? Amazon has football experience from NFL Thursday games and Google will have it via YouTube TV from Sunday ticket. Those companies can outspend everyone. I'm guessing they would also give ND significantly more than NBC if ND was willing to leave NBC.

Has the league looked into partnering with Google or Amazon for content? Amazon has football experience from NFL Thursday games and Google will have it via YouTube TV from Sunday ticket. Those companies can outspend everyone. I'm guessing they would also give ND significantly more than NBC if ND was willing to leave NBC.

It has looked into a lot of stuff. I believe they will look at every avenue.

It has looked into a lot of stuff. I believe they will look at every avenue.
They better finish the looking very quickly and make concrete moves that can matter positively.

That said, I again reiterate that this climate means that there is no way in Hell that within 5-7 years Wake and BC will be in what is universally accorded as a Major/Power conference. If there are then 3 Major/Power conferences, and the ACC is the 3rd, that will come in part by cutting ACC dead weight.

The dead fruits of basketball-firstism, and a similar faith in northeastern schools and cities, are fast coming home to roost with an anti-merciful vengeance.

I've never heard of this site before, so I'm extremely skeptical of this reporting, but I've said before something like this would be the best option for the less attractive ACC schools. Not only does it allow the leftover schools to split a bigger piece of the current pie when the big boys leave, it also gives them some money to use once the new contract is negotiated. Multiply $300 million by a few schools and you can add that to the new TV contract in 2036.

I need a list of actual team moves 2022 vs 2023, to wade thru the continuous rumors and "what if" discussions.

I've never heard of this site before, so I'm extremely skeptical of this reporting, but I've said before something like this would be the best option for the less attractive ACC schools. Not only does it allow the leftover schools to split a bigger piece of the current pie when the big boys leave, it also gives them some money to use once the new contract is negotiated. Multiply $300 million by a few schools and you can add that to the new TV contract in 2036.

You need to be on premium. I've debunked crap like that many times over.

You need to be on premium. I've debunked crap like that many times over.
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking there was anything to it since I've never heard of them before. I still believe it would be the best long term outcome for the ACC, though. There's just too much that would have to go right for the ACC to stick around past the GoR.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking there was anything to it since I've never heard of them before. I still believe it would be the best long term outcome for the ACC, though. There's just too much that would have to go right for the ACC to stick around past the GoR.

A lot is being worked on behind the scenes, though, that would allow the money generators to build greater revenue, sort of like schools having NIL worth, if thta makes sense.

A lot is being worked on behind the scenes, though, that would allow the money generators to build greater revenue, sort of like schools having NIL worth, if thta makes sense.
Makes sense, but if the Big and SEC are going to get to $100 million as projected it's going to take more than that. I just don't see it happening without ND and at least three ACC teams (preferably Clemson, FSU and UNC) being contenders for the playoff annually. I think the chances of even one of those happening is basically non existent. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Guess we have about 10 more years before we find out.

Makes sense, but if the Big and SEC are going to get to $100 million as projected it's going to take more than that. I just don't see it happening without ND and at least three ACC teams (preferably Clemson, FSU and UNC) being contenders for the playoff annually. I think the chances of even one of those happening is basically non existent. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Guess we have about 10 more years before we find out.
The cost of buying out a GOR is less the fewer number of years there are left inn the contract. AS we get close to 2036, the cost of getting out of the GOR will go down. So, if ESPN holds the ACC down with no or nearly no raises, and the BT and SEC indeed get huge new deals, then it won't take 10 years for a ACC schools with resources to take the plunge.

Inn old fashioned business sense, it makes no sense for ESPN to squeeze the ACC that way. Per the amount of moneyn paid right now, the ACC is more profitable to ESPN than the SEC. Son ESPN allowing the most valuable ACC members to be squeezed out is nuts. But recent business practices indeed are all about destroying things so pieces can be played with to try to make profits from them.

The Pac TV offers are apparently very low, so low that there is now ay that Oregon an Washington can be expected to accept them for more than a very brief span. That pair have higher football TV ratings than all ACC teams but Clemson and FSU (in fact, both routinely draw more than UCLA and often surpass SC), so they obviously would drive the needle for the ACC. The Pac as it has been simply cannot survive very long. If nothing is changed, that deal taken will mean that Arizona also leaves for the Big 12, which will hurt Pac basketball quality and reputation (but surprisingly, Arizona does not come close to dominating Pac basketball TV viewers).

There is zero sign that the BT is ready to add Oregon and Washington. That means that that pair really need something better than a Big 12 offer. What is the ACC doing? There is no way the AC should consider adding Oregon ST and Washington ST, but Cal and Stanford have major valuebecaus they are supernElite schools in CA with hordes of rich and powerful alums. Utah and Arizona St (which now is AAU) both do well in TV football viewership any time they play anyone not a ratings dud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT