ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Obama . . Welcome To Chapel Hill . . !

I've posted that fact here on OOTB two or three times . . I wish you'd read more of my poasts, Strum . . . as I am a wealth of information.

;)
Well, I could have read it and forgot. I know you have the encyclopedic memory.

Billy, are you drinking heavily again?

I'm drinking, but, not heavily . . all this back 'n forth poasting is interrupting my reaching the 'heavy' level.

Lemme try the 71-00 method here . . . if, you quit poasting, I'll stop replying.

Obama has rock star/celebrity status. I don't know of many incumbent two-term presidents who could campaign for their party's nominee like him. Clinton? Nope. GWB? Nope! I don't know if Reagan did or not. Nixon wasn't campaigning for Ford. Johnson wasn't campaigning for Humphrey.
Yea, cause he has no other job that he should be focusing on......

RH, I think you couldn't be more wrong in what you posted.
What, specifically, was I wrong about?

Perhaps you think the ACA has been beneficial to more Americans than not, you appear to. I assure you the statistics don't support that argument. And just counting my acquaintances, the vast majority have been harmed significantly by this horrible piece of legislature.
Which statistics? I don't think your acquaintances represent a meaningful sample size.

What people like to ignore is that healthcare insurance premiums, deductibles, and co-pays have been growing at an alarming rate for decades. That growth has actually slowed overall since the ACA, but now people have a convenient scapegoat to blame when they see their out-of-pocket costs go up. It's much easier than acknowledging that costs could be just as bad (or worse) without the ACA, or trying to understand the variety of other factors that affect health care costs.

Roughly half of all Americans have employer-sponsored health coverage, 36 percent have Medicare/Medicaid/Other public insurance, and 9 percent are uninsured. Only 7 percent have non-group coverage via exchanges or private insurers, and they're the ones who have been least insulated from cost increases (although employers have been shifting costs to employees for years). I'm guessing you and your acquaintances fall in the last bucket, which is why things from your perspective seem terrible. And I won't disagree that from your perspective, they are in fact terrible.

Republicans suggested selling across state lines, increasing competition, something that would have decreased premiums significantly.
That proposal demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about how health insurance works. Insurance companies' core business is to build networks of providers and negotiate rates with those providers, then manage those relationships in perpetuity. It's an extremely expensive and time-consuming endeavor, which is why no insurance company has actually done it in the three states where it's allowed.

So if you think the ACA was an improvement, fine. We'll agree to disagree.
I've never given the ACA an unequivocal thumbs up or thumbs down. It has initiated some long-overdue changes in care delivery and payment reform, but it has plenty of downsides too. I'm okay agreeing to disagree.

Actually, I gave very specific factors and variables that refer to how race relations are better now, and improving more, than ever before. I wasn't generalizing. I just don't focus on the negative. There are always polarities.
Yes waving to people and backyard over the fence conversations are a good barometer for race relations..

Reactions: nctransplant
Sorry, but I thought he was being paid to be our president, not to be a campaigner for his party's candidate. He is reimbursing the tax payer for mileage on Air Force One to all these speeches, correct? And yes, I'd say this regardless who the sitting president was.
Did Ford campaign for Bush? I really can't recall any other POTUS just forgetting his job and campaigning full time for someone else.

Yes waving to people and backyard over the fence conversations are a good barometer for race relations..
Not just that. I said that I see interracial couples all the time now. That's a perfect example of how it's improving. That forces the cultures to mix and when they mix, they become closer. There's more understanding and more empathy.

When I was a little kid, I never saw interracial couples. My own father used to forbid me from ever dating a black girl. But, I didn't obey him. I knew, inherently, that there was nothing wrong with it.

Thanks a bunch, you corn fed slob . .

Did Ford campaign for Bush? I really can't recall any other POTUS just forgetting his job and campaigning full time for someone else.

POTUS is on duty 24/7/365 . . the current Republican Congress takes more time off and ignores their responsibilities far more than the POTUS does.

What, specifically, was I wrong about?

Which statistics? I don't think your acquaintances represent a meaningful sample size.

What people like to ignore is that healthcare insurance premiums, deductibles, and co-pays have been growing at an alarming rate for decades. That growth has actually slowed overall since the ACA, but now people have a convenient scapegoat to blame when they see their out-of-pocket costs go up. It's much easier than acknowledging that costs could be just as bad (or worse) without the ACA, or trying to understand the variety of other factors that affect health care costs.

Roughly half of all Americans have employer-sponsored health coverage, 36 percent have Medicare/Medicaid/Other public insurance, and 9 percent are uninsured. Only 7 percent have non-group coverage via exchanges or private insurers, and they're the ones who have been least insulated from cost increases (although employers have been shifting costs to employees for years). I'm guessing you and your acquaintances fall in the last bucket, which is why things from your perspective seem terrible. And I won't disagree that from your perspective, they are in fact terrible.

That proposal demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about how health insurance works. Insurance companies' core business is to build networks of providers and negotiate rates with those providers, then manage those relationships in perpetuity. It's an extremely expensive and time-consuming endeavor, which is why no insurance company has actually done it in the three states where it's allowed.

I've never given the ACA an unequivocal thumbs up or thumbs down. It has initiated some long-overdue changes in care delivery and payment reform, but it has plenty of downsides too. I'm okay agreeing to disagree.

Let's take a closer look

20% on medicaid or about 71 million people (13.9 increase in 2015)

17% of those on medicare are under 65 (disability) another 8.5 million .

9% uninsured or 32 million people.

7% non group or 25 million people (probably under insured or huge deducts)

of course some are dual eligibles medicare and medicaid. 9.2 million people
So we'll just say 71 million are covered by the government and many go every time they get a hang nail.

Does anybody see a problem here?

Do you wonder why we are in 18 trillion dollars of debt?

14% were uninsured in 2008 , so Obama Care has been pretty damn expensive to reduce it to 9%.

POTUS is on duty 24/7/365 . . the current Republican Congress takes more time off and ignores their responsibilities far more than the POTUS does.[/QUOTE]
really you mean during all his vacations and golf outings. Yeah my job is 24-7-365 too and sleeping through Benghazi?? Valerie Jarrett is doing most of the heavy lifting anyway..

Reactions: nctransplant
"all the time now"? that's real scientific , sounds anecdotal to me.
Well, I've got a business of my own to run. I don't have time to make "scientific studies." Let's see your personal accounts. I don't care about what's on TV.

Let's take a closer look

20% on medicaid or about 71 million people (13.9 increase in 2015)

17% of those on medicare are under 65 (disability) another 8.5 million .

9% uninsured or 32 million people.

7% non group or 25 million people (probably under insured or huge deducts)

of course some are dual eligibles medicare and medicaid. 9.2 million people
So we'll just say 71 million are covered by the government and many go every time they get a hang nail.

Does anybody see a problem here?

Do you wonder why we are in 18 trillion dollars of debt?

14% were uninsured in 2008 , so Obama Care has been pretty damn expensive to reduce it to 9%.
As of 2015, there were actually a total of about 112 million people on either Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Advantage, or other public program (military/VA). Compare that to 178 million with either employer-sponsored or non-group insurance.

What's your point exactly? That the government shouldn't be in the business of providing health insurance? Okay. There's a solid argument for that position, but think about what you're proposing. You're talking about dumping Medicare and Medicaid recipients back into the commercial insurance risk pool. The elderly and the poor, who are two of the highest utilizers of healthcare and therefore costliest. Guess what that is going to do to your insurance premiums? The other option is for them to have no insurance at all, in which case hospitals, physicians, and other providers will end up providing care for which they won't be compensated. Guess what that is going to do to provider fees?

If you really want to tackle healthcare spending, consider this statistic. Five percent of the population accounts for almost half (49 percent) of total healthcare expenses. Go ahead and read that again. It's completely bonkers. These are typically the sickest of all patients with multiple chronic conditions.

What's more, 30% of all Medicare expenditures are attributed to the 5% of beneficiaries that die each year, with 1/3 of that cost occurring in the last month of life. We have a medical culture that is obsessed with extending life, despite all odds, because that's how physicians have been trained and what families and often patients themselves (think they) want. Having worked in hospice, I'm a huge proponent of palliative care. It's a drastically less expensive course of care, and patients and their families consistently report a much higher level of satisfaction with palliative care than with traditional curative treatments.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but if you throw the old 80/20 rule at these two populations -- comorbid and dying patients -- then you could really start to see a bend in the cost curve. Believe it or not, the ACA actually does a lot to address the former. As I said earlier, it is ushering in significant changes in care delivery, but I understand why the average consumer is only focused on how it affects them personally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT