ADVERTISEMENT

New Names on the Landscape for UNC Building Names and Campus Spaces

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
In the wake of the decision by the UNC-Chapel Hill Board of Trustees to rescind the 16-year moratorium on building renaming that was enacted in 2015, many members of the UNC community have suggested potential new namesakes for campus buildings and public spaces. In this post, we’re gathering some of the names that have come up most often. (UNC.edu)

There are non-Civil War versions of how the name came about, so maybe the school is working dilligently to craft its response when this question arrives.
The Civil War associations were very minor, and long after what was originally established as what a Tar Heel actually was. However, all Southern symbolism and culture of the Antebellum South has a target on it, now.

The Joel Chandler Harris story "Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby", and the Song Of The South banned film, might get dragged into it as some sort of tacit racist reference.

It's not a name that has been under any scrutiny prior to this, that I know about. It's not like any of the Indian names.

Reactions: andrew jones
So I guess the unc “little black sambos” is off the table
My aunt gave me a copy of that book for Christmas one year when I was about 5. It was read to me dozens of times. I can honestly say that I never made any association to ACTUAL PEOPLE from that story. I had no idea that people struggled with fantasy/fiction and reality.

Foghorn Leghorn isn't real. I've yet to see a rooster say anything I could understand.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
How did the Tar Heels get their name?
The term “Tar Heel” came to be used as a name for the poor white and black naval store workers in the mid-19th century, who, due to working with waterproofing-materials such as rosin and tar, walked around with tar on their heels.

usa-today-8778784.0.jpg

This kind of image definitely helps.

I would think that if you asked any black athlete that ever played, or any black student that ever attended the school, what they thought, they'd say "Why is Tar Heel offensive?"

The Civil War associations were very minor, and long after what was originally established as what a Tar Heel actually was. However, all Southern symbolism and culture of the Antebellum South has a target on it, now.

The Joel Chandler Harris story "Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby", and the Song Of The South banned film, might get dragged into it as some sort of tacit racist reference.

It's not a name that has been under any scrutiny prior to this, that I know about. It's not like any of the Indian names.

Yeah, and while it would be quite a reach to go after the name, it's hard to gauge where the line will eventually settle.

I'm just glad The Dixie Chicks are NOW "The Chicks."

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...ange-name-chicks-we-want-meet-moment-n1232135

That's one that will really help race relations!
The band Lady Antebellum recently announced they've changed their name to Lady A.

Ante (before) Bellum (war) is nothing more than a Latin word meaning the period before a war, especially the American Civil War. Apparently it's now offensive to even make a reference to the Civil War. What a time to be alive.

Disney is retheming Splash Mountain to remove the Uncle Remus / Brer Rabbit storyline. I agree with the early post about not naming stuff for people. Not buildings, bridges, roads, parks, etc... If it's your personal building, do what you want, but for public buildings, just name it "The Longleaf Pine" building or something.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
What happens 100 years from now when people are offended by something those people did? Just remove all names and just give the building a generic name. Don't name them after people.
the PC crowd already hates inanimate objects. Give them numbers. I don't think they've started hating numbers yet.

The band Lady Antebellum recently announced they've changed their name to Lady A.

Ante (before) Bellum (war) is nothing more than a Latin word meaning the period before a war, especially the American Civil War. Apparently it's now offensive to even make a reference to the Civil War. What a time to be alive.
Well, with Lady Antebellum, the implication is that they're tacitly glorifying the Antebellum South. That also implies that Southern Belles in hoop skirts with parasols, or anything that harkens back to WHITE affluence from plantation culture is automatically offensive because it was acquired from the prosperity on the backs of slave labor. It will be interesting to see how far it all goes.

but to be more on point, it isn't a reference to the Civil War itself, it's (usually) a reference to the period of time in the South when slavery happened to be practiced unimpeded (that is, before the war). After the war, slavery no more. Tremendous change of all sorts occured as a result of the war, and antebellum refers to the time before those changes came about. So 'antebellum' celebrates a South where slavery was in full swing. I don't mean to say it particularly celebrates or focuses on slavery....and it usually isn't used that way....but you know how that kind of thing goes.

Lady A was already taken by a blues singer. I’m sure they had to cut her a fat check

Joel Chandler Harris’s stories have as the hero an older black gentleman teaching the white children about life through the lives of the animals around them. I grew up on them. I loved those stories and characters and antics. I read them to my children and grandchildren. I haven’t observed any residual racism from such endeavors. It was a time in history that is past. Revisionists are always looking to make the past in their image. Historians are among the worst. I can’t change when or where or who I was begat by, but I am responsible for who I am and became. But how far back do you have to go to make change? 400 years is certainly insufficient. It’s only 4,000 years back to Abram - 3,000 years back to David. Well, that’s insufficient too! There are wrongs to right, but too many folk got their feelings on their sleeve. I always recall what my maternal grandmother, a young woman who grew up in the post-war South, told me as a child - “your rights end, where my nose begins, and my rights end, where your nose begins.” Be kind, be loving, be generous, work hard, help the needy, the poor, the downtrodden, for we all answer to a higher call than ourselves. Whew! Longer than I intended. Love you guys, and gals, all. If that’s gender inappropriate, kiss off! :)

Reactions: bluetoe
Joel Chandler Harris’s stories have as the hero an older black gentleman teaching the white children about life through the lives of the animals around them. I grew up on them. I loved those stories and characters and antics. I read them to my children and grandchildren. I haven’t observed any residual racism from such endeavors. It was a time in history that is past. Revisionists are always looking to make the past in their image. Historians are among the worst. I can’t change when or where or who I was begat by, but I am responsible for who I am and became. But how far back do you have to go to make change? 400 years is certainly insufficient. It’s only 4,000 years back to Abram - 3,000 years back to David. Well, that’s insufficient too! There are wrongs to right, but too many folk got their feelings on their sleeve. I always recall what my maternal grandmother, a young woman who grew up in the post-war South, told me as a child - “your rights end, where my nose begins, and my rights end, where your nose begins.” Be kind, be loving, be generous, work hard, help the needy, the poor, the downtrodden, for we all answer to a higher call than ourselves. Whew! Longer than I intended. Love you guys, and gals, all. If that’s gender inappropriate, kiss off! :)
I've actually had in-person discussions with "academics" who are sort of indirectly (or, in some cases drectly) discouraging literature like that. Of course, they're all white people. And, they're always from the North (or midwest), and they insist that it's pervasive and it rationalizes racist behavior. And, the discussion was specifically "Brer Rabbit and The Tar Baby" and "Little Black Sambo." They wanted these stories removed from circulation! I was actually pissed-off at this point. I said "Do you want to censor Mark Twain? How about William Faulkner? Harper Lee? Is she going to be on the list? I guess we keep 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' because it helped empower abolitionists? Maybe not! The subject matter of that book isn't too far removed from Joel Chandler Harris! There seems to be outrage against Abraham Lincoln, now!" I realize there is a reckoning occurring, I really do. But, when people start condoning censorship of literature, I just don't like that direction. Banning literature is just fukked-up, to me.

ETA: And, to the general public? They barely know who even fought in the wars, and when they took place!

Last edited:

Are there any buildings on the campus that are named for white people... who are from, or associated with NC, or the university... that weren't "racist" by today's standards. I mean, sheezus. If you look up each of these people, they all have "philanthropy" in their resume. Aycock is "The Education Governor" for piss'sakes.

Some of these guys were influential with creating Duke University, but we forgave them for that!
tenor.gif

The university might not even exist if it weren't for all of these people. I realize they were fervent white supremacists. I'm not defending their racism. I'm just trying to offer that they were more than just racists. The list of white people in American history that have been glorified- and also don't meet the current standards for NOT being racist- is very, very long. I think it might be a good idea to be able to differentiate their positive contributions and give them some credit for it. Don't mimic their traits that bother you. But, don't think you're superior to them, either. They're no longer here to defend themselves, or, perhaps even be convinced to change their own minds.

nice, VERY nice.

Are there any buildings on the campus that are named for white people... who are from, or associated with NC, or the university... that weren't "racist" by today's standards. I mean, sheezus. If you look up each of these people, they all have "philanthropy" in their resume. Aycock is "The Education Governor" for piss'sakes.

Some of these guys were influential with creating Duke University, but we forgave them for that!
tenor.gif

The university might not even exist if it weren't for all of these people. I realize they were fervent white supremacists. I'm not defending their racism. I'm just trying to offer that they were more than just racists. The list of white people in American history that have been glorified- and also don't meet the current standards for NOT being racist- is very, very long. I think it might be a good idea to be able to differentiate their positive contributions and give them some credit for it. Don't mimic their traits that bother you. But, don't think you're superior to them, either. They're no longer here to defend themselves, or, perhaps even be convinced to change their own minds.

Nice, well done.

" The university might not even exist if it weren't for all of these people."

And I will further that thought by pointing out that WE wouldn't likely be posting about this on this board as we are if slavery and other unsavory practices hadn't been accepted institutions down through the ages. It is beyond stupid to judge history by today's standards. It is so childishly idiotic to desire to alter the past or even the reminders of it when we have progressed to where we are because of it.

Nice, well done.

" The university might not even exist if it weren't for all of these people."

And I will further that thought by pointing out that WE wouldn't likely be posting about this on this board as we are if slavery and other unsavory practices hadn't been accepted institutions down through the ages. It is beyond stupid to judge history by today's standards. It is so childishly idiotic to desire to alter the past or even the reminders of it when we have progressed to where we are because of it.
I agree to an extent. I mean... every step is part of the process.

I don't understand the need to judge people who are dead by the standards of those of us who are still around, and the conditions and circumstances we are experiencing. People who are alive now, that feel shame and guilt through the actions of other people. I guess that is the definition of empathy, but those people are long gone. Don't mimic that aspect of their legacy. And, as far as the buildings... did they ask to have the buildings named for them? If not, then it's kind of a hollow gesture anyway. Stop naming things for people who might die. Stop glorifying people, or honoring them, or whatever, if there's a chance that something ELSE they did is going to be questionable behavior in the future. That pretty much accounts for everyone. So, no more statues, streets, highways, buildings, libraries, parks, park benches, chewing gum, etc., named for anyone from now on.

This "cancel culture" is also just part of the process. I'm sure that, some point later on, it will be seen as either drastic, or absurd, or maybe necessary. I don't know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT