ADVERTISEMENT

New OC and DC?

A disciplined D that knows how to tackle?

I’LL TAKE IT !!!
Until now, that would have been: To dream the impossible dream.

21st centuryTar Heel Ds have been a far cry from what was expected and normal in the Dooley, Crum, and Brown years.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I really like this hire...
Now we send Bateman to visit Crouch. Two things he will emphasize: 1) his emphasis on mastery of fundamentals will help Crouch 'catch up' to players in his class who have been focused on D for their HS careers; and 2) at UNC, everybody is new to everything, meaning he would land in the same spot as 5th year seniors.

Now we send Bateman to visit Crouch. Two things he will emphasize: 1) his emphasis on mastery of fundamentals will help Crouch 'catch up' to players in his class who have been focused on D for their HS careers; and 2) at UNC, everybody is new to everything, meaning he would land in the same spot as 5th year seniors.

So true the Kid is not a RB his future is on D...He reminds me a lot of Peppers in High School...He also played RB but his future was always on the D Side of the ball...

I'm hoping Mack already has a good one lined up, but timing isn't right to announce it yet (similar to DC situation).

I have a feeling that could be what's happening. Mack has had a lot of positive momentum with the DC hire and the successful recruiting weekend. Hopefully it continues with the new OC.

I have NOTHING to base this on but my expanding gut...BUT I think Mack just hired his successor. JMHO
Are you saying you think Bateman could be HC after Mack, or that you think Mack has an OC lined up who will be the next HC?

Bateman as next HC of course many variables but this guy is obviously highly regarded and Mack will probably be here 4 years...IF we can keep him he may just fill those HOF shoes. Hopefully his reputation will be enhanced here and he will fall in love with Carolina and want to stay.

Bateman as next HC of course many variables but this guy is obviously highly regarded and Mack will probably be here 4 years...IF we can keep him he may just fill those HOF shoes. Hopefully his reputation will be enhanced here and he will fall in love with Carolina and want to stay.
He's from VA, and played at Randolph-Macon. He's coached at Hampton-Sydney, Richmond, and Elon. I'll bet he loves the idea of a long stay in Chapel Hill.

Don't want to get too giddy about all this. I was of a similar vane when Fedora came on board BUT THIS feels much different and frankly better. The fact that Mack is a HOF coach and won a natty at Texas cannot be minimized. I read a quote from one of the Recommitted kids and he said essentially the same thing...there is a buzz here and it feels great that it is so positive.

I have a feeling that could be what's happening. Mack has had a lot of positive momentum with the DC hire and the successful recruiting weekend. Hopefully it continues with the new OC.
True.

The concern with other defensive staff positions being filled before the DC was announced was warranted, but in hindsight it looks like the Bateman appointment could have been locked down for awhile before the official announcement.

I absolutely love this hire. He's a coach that maximizes the talent at his disposal. We will be more disciplined and more fundamentally sound from day one, two areas of real weakness in recent years.

Now let's hope Mack can hit another home run with his OC hire.

....Now let's hope Mack can hit another home run with his OC hire.
i have no problem with this delay announcing the OC, whether mack's taking his time to make the right choice or the right time to announce a guy already on board. getting the right OC is crucial.

i have no problem with this delay announcing the OC, whether mack's taking his time to make the right choice or the right time to announce a guy already on board. getting the right OC is crucial.
Use the passing game to spread the field from sideline to sideline, as well as toward the end zone, and use the RBs to blast through those spaces opened by a passing attack that truly spreads the D out.

are people gonna be happy with a similar type offense or would you prefer more conventional?

conventional now seems to be attack, rpo, high volume, no huddle etc...but to me conventional is more like a pro scheme with some shotgun and some tight end.

are people gonna be happy with a similar type offense or would you prefer more conventional?

conventional now seems to be attack, rpo, high volume, no huddle etc...but to me conventional is more like a pro scheme with some shotgun and some tight end.
Mack is gonna air raid this birch

I like the hurry up and punt better than the run and shoot yourself in the foot

Last edited:
I didnt really mind the offense when it worked. But even in the hurry up, the coach has to have enough sense to know when to slow it down so your defense can get some rest.

I can't stand no huddle offense. It takes all of the rhythm out of the game for the fans.

[
I can't stand no huddle offense. It takes all of the rhythm out of the game for the fans.
And it's a gimmick. It works quite well when it is new and barely known and against the least disciplined Ds. In the hands of someone like Fedora, it works against your own D, because to be really effective, the no-huddle offense must be run very fast, with no concern for what that means to your D getting tired just like your opponents's D gets tired.

Used in moderation, no-huddle can keep Ds off balance.

[

And it's a gimmick. It works quite well when it is new and barely known and against the least disciplined Ds. In the hands of someone like Fedora, it works against your own D, because to be really effective, the no-huddle offense must be run very fast, with no concern for what that means to your D getting tired just like your opponents's D gets tired.

Used in moderation, no-huddle can keep Ds off balance.

That's the key to the success of a no huddle offense. It's good in spurts to catch the defense off guard, but most coaches won't have success if that's all they run.

That's the key to the success of a no huddle offense. It's good in spurts to catch the defense off guard, but most coaches won't have success if that's all they run.
Plus the no huddle offense screws me up when I record a game on the DVR, and want to use that 30 second skip button between plays. When teams huddle up, it usually works perfectly. I really hate when I can’t do that. :eek:

No huddle is not a gimmick lol. Coaches have figured out how to communicate plays from the sideline in a manner that allows them to get a look from the defense before calling the play. It basically lets a HC/OC audible from the sideline. It doesn’t have to be a hurry up offense to go no huddle.

Reactions: franklin street
No huddle is not a gimmick lol. Coaches have figured out how to communicate plays from the sideline in a manner that allows them to get a look from the defense before calling the play. It basically lets a HC/OC audible from the sideline. It doesn’t have to be a hurry up offense to go no huddle.
A gimmick is developed to try to get one over on foes you think are too much for you. No huddle was developed for that reason. It can be used effectively, at times, depending on opponents, perhaps even most of a game. But when it becomes something of a sacred cow, as it was to Fedora, it is a handicap.

I think Mack will have an air raid that uses some no huddle and some very fast snapping, but also uses direct snap after huddles, at times using the whole snap clock - the changes will keep Ds on their toes. His air raid also will feature RBs running the ball often and catching more passes than Fedora's RBs caught. QBs will be distributors.

Ole Miss people are now talking about Mack trying to get Ole Miss OC Phil Longo to UNC.

He was getting fired if he didn't get another job.

He had three 1st rounders on offense and couldn't muster more than 16 points against Auburn, LSU, Bama, and State. Our most talented offense ever.

He can put up points against lesser talented foes, but his offense doesn't work against elite defenses.

He has like 26 total plays and tells his receivers to "run to space" and allows them flexibility on routes they run during the play.

He was getting fired if he didn't get another job.

He had three 1st rounders on offense and couldn't muster more than 16 points against Auburn, LSU, Bama, and State. Our most talented offense ever.

He can put up points against lesser talented foes, but his offense doesn't work against elite defenses.

He has like 26 total plays and tells his receivers to "run to space" and allows them flexibility on routes they run during the play.
What kind of RBs did you have? I saw parts of about 7 Ole Miss games, and I recall seeing a very good passing game and not much from the RBs.

I don't know much about him. Is this a good hire?
He is late to the party, in that Ole Miss is his 1st P5 job. At 1AA/FCS Sam Houston St, his teams moved the ball and scored at will. And his Ole Miss teams also scored quite a bit overall.

Ole Miss also has been working at a disadvantage, with the firing of Freeze and then the transfer of Patterson and scholarship restrictions. And then there's the brutality of the SEC West.

I wouldn't see Longo as a great hire, but I think he can be a very good hire with the right tutelage.

Reactions: MWHeels
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT