ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2016-2017

For Panthers fans:
Seattle = Dook

I gotta agree with the others here that I don't see how Panthers/Seahawks is a rivalry, let alone on the Dook/UNC level. You can play teams fairly regularly but that doesn't necessarily make it a rivalry. The Patriots have beaten both the Panthers and Seahawks in the Super Bowl - but I definitely wouldn't say we have a rivalry with the Panthers at all. Maybe the Seahawks, due to the nail biting Super Bowl, the Pete Carroll factor (used to coach NE), Sherman/Brady trash talking, and now the Brother vs. Brother (Martellus and Michael Bennett). Sherman described the Patriots as their rival, I've never heard them say something similar about the Panthers but I might have missed it.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I gotta agree with the others here that I don't see how Panthers/Seahawks is a rivalry, let alone on the Dook/UNC level. You can play teams fairly regularly but that doesn't necessarily make it a rivalry. The Patriots have beaten both the Panthers and Seahawks in the Super Bowl - but I definitely wouldn't say we have a rivalry with the Panthers at all. Maybe the Seahawks, due to the nail biting Super Bowl, the Pete Carroll factor (used to coach NE), Sherman/Brady trash talking, and now the Brother vs. Brother (Martellus and Michael Bennett). Sherman described the Patriots as their rival, I've never heard them say something similar about the Panthers but I might have missed it.

You missed it. ;)

I was using the UNC-Dook comparison just to provide a visual we would all understand here, as UNC fans...b/c clearly many people on here are not very well versed in the NFL game. It's cool -- I was just trying to communicate properly.

But the Carolina / Seattle animosity is real.

Red Flag #1 -- No offense, but many bandwagon fans share this sentiment. Not an accusation, just saying...

Point #2 -- the whole "this division is weak" argument in the NFL is a myth and just, frankly, uninformed. The NFL is built to produce parity. Every so often, you have a year in which a division underperforms...then, if you notice, that division as a whole quickly rebounds. The NFC West was a prime example when the Rams made the playoffs with a 7-9 record...and then a few years later, you have the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl, the 49ers making a Super Bowl, etc.

The NFC (L)east is another example with teams sitting at 7-8 playing for a playoff spot during Week 17.

The NFC South went through this two years ago with Carolina making the playoffs at 7-8-1, but what you miss is that this was the year Atlanta was decimated with injuries, New Orleans had no defense, and Carolina was reloading -- they decided mid-year to play (essentially) all rookies to get them experience and they wound up finishing the year on a winning streak, Josh Norman emerged as a power CB, etc.

Again...no offense, man, but stick to music critique. We all have a lane to stay within.
Lol Okay bud. I stand by what I said. Nationally, people see the NFC South as an afterthought.

I know damn well the NFL is designed to create parity. Read the past few pages. I've said that multiple times. It's why the ratings were down at points this year. The league has turned into a bunch of good but not great teams, save for one or two.

But again....... I don't care a lot about this. You think the Panthers are primed for greatness. I think they had a fluke year last year.

Lol Okay bud. I stand by what I said. Nationally, people see the NFC South as an afterthought.

I know damn well the NFL is designed to create parity. Read the past few pages. I've said that multiple times. It's why the ratings were down at points this year. The league has turned into a bunch of good but not great teams, save for one or two.

But again....... I don't care a lot about this. You think the Panthers are primed for greatness. I think they had a fluke year last year.

Fair enough, bud. ;)

Carry on...

Fair enough, bud. ;)

Carry on...
I'd be interested to know what you see in the Panthers that gives you confidence in them have success moving forward. IMO, none of the NFC South teams look like they're going to have guaranteed success next year and beyond:

Saints -- Brees is another year older and their cap situation is a MESS. They can't afford anyone or anything. Defense still sucks.

Bucs -- trending in the right direction, but the arrow isn't pointing straight up by any means. Need to keep improving the defense to get back to "Bucs Football" and Jameis needs to continue to grow as an NFL QB. There's hope here, but lots of pieces are still needed.

Falcons -- probably in the best shape right now, but the big question mark is Shanahan. How will the Falcons look without him calling the plays? Furthermore, they've definitely caught lightning in a bottle this year. How will they cope with a key injury next season, something they haven't had to deal with this season. Still though, a lot of solid pieces in place and the defense is improving.

Panthers -- in dire need of OL improvement and the DL needs to play better. They stopped getting pressure on the QB, which made their secondary look way worse. Cam is still an enigma and it's unclear if he'll play like his 2015 self next season and beyond, or play like the 2016 version next season and beyond.

I'd be interested to know what you see in the Panthers that gives you confidence in them have success moving forward. IMO, none of the NFC South teams look like they're going to have guaranteed success next year and beyond:

Saints -- Brees is another year older and their cap situation is a MESS. They can't afford anyone or anything. Defense still sucks.

Bucs -- trending in the right direction, but the arrow isn't pointing straight up by any means. Need to keep improving the defense to get back to "Bucs Football" and Jameis needs to continue to grow as an NFL QB. There's hope here, but lots of pieces are still needed.

Falcons -- probably in the best shape right now, but the big question mark is Shanahan. How will the Falcons look without him calling the plays? Furthermore, they've definitely caught lightning in a bottle this year. How will they cope with a key injury next season, something they haven't had to deal with this season. Still though, a lot of solid pieces in place and the defense is improving.

Panthers -- in dire need of OL improvement and the DL needs to play better. They stopped getting pressure on the QB, which made their secondary look way worse. Cam is still an enigma and it's unclear if he'll play like his 2015 self next season and beyond, or play like the 2016 version next season and beyond.

The Saints are fading -- they need to find the successor to Brees, and they need to find him fast. They are lucky Sean Payton didn't bolt this offseason b/c there was talk of him being interested in moving on.

The Bucs have a lot of tools, but I don't trust their front office -- they are too impatient and two losing seasons in a row, and they are off firing coaching staffs again. That is not how you win in the NFL. So, I don't trust them, for that reason. But they definitely have the talent to build upon.

Atlanta -- I hate to say it, but I agree that they have a foundation to build on. I do think this year is a fluke, but moreso on offense than defense. They are building a solid defense that is pretty young. But on offense, I do not trust them one iota -- Kyle Shanahan is about to get a HC gig (49ers, likely) and it's been reported that Shanahan and Matt Ryan butted heads all of last season and came together before this year and had a big "heart-to-heart" and really patched things up there...with him leaving, Matt Ryan is going to regress. The OL has been incredibly healthy, which is very rare. Another regression...and Matt Ryan has always been extremely erratic when his OL struggles. I see them going back down that road moving forward. Their defense should keep them in ballgames though.

The Panthers -- I see them as having longterm success b/c they have their foundation in place on both sides of the ball for years to come. The OL, RB, and Safety spots need addressing...and I believe at least two of those will be in this draft. This draft is extremely deep at RB -- I know people are fawning over L.Fornette, but I think they go with the Safety from LSU in the first round and look at James Conner (Pitt) at RB further down...he is another "Jonathan Stewart" type and fits what the Panthers like to do. Then you have OL -- simply getting healthy here will be a major upgrade. People forget they were down to their 3rd string Center by year-end. You can't win like that. But I could see this being their one weakness, and that is without being biased, in all honesty. They are building a very deep roster at many of their positions, on both sides of the ball. Some of that is through experience of players being thrown in due to injury, but so be it.

Oh -- you mentioned the DL -- they were "sneaky good" but for the wrong reasons. They were top 5 in sacks this year, but I would attribute a lot of that to the fact that the defense was on the field way too much, and I agree...they got exposed in crucial moments. You simply cannot run a 3-man rush on 3rd-and-26 and give up the first down (forget who this was against, but it stood out to me). I think this has more to do with effort than ability -- when this group came together and said it was "time to shut up and play" you could tell their production dramatically improved until get were hit with the injury bug again to Mario Addison. I think they'll be fine...they HAVE to get something, anything, out of Kony Ealy though. That dude has been a major disappointment thus far.

That help?

Last edited:
Just a few notes from another Panthers fan:

I don't think the 2015 season was a fluke, nor do I think 2016 was a fluke either. The 2015 team was as good as they looked and the 2016 team were as bad as they looked, but that doesn't mean either of them is going to be the norm. The Panthers need to establish some sort of consistency before I can really say anything. Every time it looks like the franchise has turned the corner, they shit the bed the following year.

It all depends on Cam Newton, IMO, and I don't think he'll be as good as we was in 2015, and I don't think he'll be as bad as we was in 2016. However, I think he'll go through some 2015-like stretches were he looks completely unstoppable, and I just hope it's during the right time. He needs to figure out what in the hell went wrong with him last year and fix it. Whether it's physically, mentally, both or whatever. It all depends on him. I can see a playoff contender next year, but again, it all depends on if Cam can get his shit together. I haven't mentioned Kuechly's health yet. His concussions scare me.

The Panthers don't have a rival. Their "rival" is whoever is their biggest threat during a season in which they are performing well. Whether it's the Falcons, Saints, Seahawks, or whoever it may be that year, that's it. I'm sure opposing teams feel that way as well when they're having a good season, but there's no consistent mutual rivalry between the Panthers and anyone.

I have no f'ing clue what to expect with this franchise going forward. I sure hope to see some good seasons ahead, but I really just don't know. Maybe they just had a Super Bowl hangover last year, and they'll be good again next year. Maybe Cam had his moment, and he'll fade away along with the rest of the team. If I had to pick, I think they'll be good again next year and going forward, but I can't honestly tell you I'm sure that will be the case.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, giving Cam an offensive line that isn't duct taped together would really help things, by the way. Not blaming his performance on them, by any means, but they didn't really help last year.

Last edited:

Seems like they might still be able to get another bank and investor involved to make it come together, but this definitely throws a wrench in their plan.

Interesting that San Diego reached out to be the new home for the Raiders. The Raiders and Chargers have been rivals for a long time - expecting Chargers fans to just adopt the Raiders as their new team seems delusional - especially when the Chargers are still not all that far away in LA - not like they moved to St. Louis or something.

Can you blame anyone that backs out of a deal with the Raiders? It can't be too comforting being a business partner with a guy who looks like this:

And despite being a billionaire drives to the stadium in this:

voting for the nfl hof continues to blow my mind.

terrell davis, what a joke.

terrell owens should've been in the time he was first eligible...i never liked the person on or off of the field, but nobody can argue the talent or the consistency.

also, saw a list of the eligible players in the top 5 and not in the top 10 with how they finished in the voting.

voting for the nfl hof continues to blow my mind.
terrell davis, what a joke.
terrell owens should've been in the time he was first eligible...i never liked the person on or off of the field, but nobody can argue the talent or the consistency.
also, saw a list of the eligible players in the top 5 and not in the top 10 with how they finished in the voting.

TD was a beast for a few years; it's a shame he got injured. Dude did have a 2000 yard season. I guess they treated him like Gayle Sayers. IF he wouldn't have had a career- altering injury, he likely is way up the list of all time rushers.

As for TO, he will get in but I'm sure the voters are penalizing him for being an annoying ass at times.

Reactions: tarheel0910
The thread representing the season from Hell is over. Lock 'er up.

2017-2018 season officially has begun. Keep Pounding!!!!!

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT