ADVERTISEMENT

"non revenue" sports

Cj-LKG8VEAAo9TC.jpg

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Oh it's extremely arrogant, especially when you consider the fact that............let's be honest, no one really gives a sh*t about sports not named football, basketball, and baseball. Yes, every Olympic sport has its cult following, but by and large no one cares. VT, who's built a huge football brand for itself, doesn't give a sh*t that Carolina has won a ton of natties in field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer.

I hate the arrogance that UNC fans show, but you're right, I've softened on that a bit due to the whole scandal, so I'll let this one slide. I would've liked it better if he had said "eight Power5 teams, including NC State."

I disagree. Way back when in my first job after college I worked for a proud and active VT alum. One time we went into U Hall and he saw the handful of NCAA awards that UVA had then (1994). His comment was "look at all those national trophies- hardly fair that one school has so many". I told him I would never take him to Chapel Hill.

Schools like Moo and VT long for national championships with every ounce of their being.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I disagree. Way back when in my first job after college I worked for a proud and active VT alum. One time we went into U Hall and he saw the handful of NCAA awards that UVA had then (1994). His comment was "look at all those national trophies- hardly fair that one school has so many". I told him I would never take him to Chapel Hill.

Schools like Moo and VT long for national championships with every ounce of their being.
Right. The only reason they say they don't care is because they ain't got none.
I disagree with both of you. People really don't care. For most fans, it's a college football or basketball title or bust. All the women's soccer titles in the world don't matter.

Do UGA fans brag about having a women's gymnastics dynasty? Serious question, 'cause they're pretty good.
They don't brag necessarily, but they support the hell out of the Gym Dawgs program. Gymnastics meets are a much bigger "must-attend" event on campus than men's basketball games. Yes, you read my post correctly.

They don't brag necessarily, but they support the hell out of the Gym Dawgs program. Gymnastics meets are a much bigger "must-attend" event on campus than men's basketball games. Yes, you read my post correctly.

You do realize you are contradicting your original assertion, don't you?

You do realize you are contradicting your original assertion, don't you?
Not really. At certain schools, there are "non revenue" sports that transcend the trend and draw big support. Gymnastics at UGA, women's soccer at UNC, women's basketball at UConn, Maryland and Syracuse men's lacrosse, etc.

Not really. At certain schools, there are "non revenue" sports that transcend the trend and draw big support. Gymnastics at UGA, women's soccer at UNC, women's basketball at UConn, Maryland and Syracuse men's lacrosse, etc.
So if all of a sudden moo started tearing up the non-revenue sport circuit and winning national championships, they wouldn't care? I bet they'd start caring. And I bet that goes with all schools who suddenly turned into winners.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Not that hard to understand, guys. A school who is exceptionally good at one NR sport usually has a big following for that sport. But they don't care about the other NR sports.

Or they're Carolina and are excellent at all NR sports but don't attend any games of any sport. UNC has sorry fans in terms of attendance, regardless of sport.

Or they're Carolina and are excellent at all NR sports but don't attend any games of any sport.
I don't see how you can reasonably make this assertion without some facts to support your statement. What is attendance like at Stanford NR events? Notre Dame? Michigan? You're making a sweeping generalization that might hold true some places you've been but isn't necessarily the case elsewhere.

So about Roy's recruiting- do we think he can find a chef to make sure Meeks gets the calories he needs?

Reactions: tarheel0910
They do. It's 113 or something like that. We're in the top 10 with 42, if I recall correctly. (Not 100% sure if that's before or after adding the two LAX 'ships this spring.)

Reactions: heelbent
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT