ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from the stands

Dude you just can't get out of your own way can you. There are 2 threads going with great back and forth discussion and out of all the so called trolls you are the one to run the thread off the tracks, after posting in this thread and I quote "hope this thread doesn't devolve into another crap-fest."
As usual, that would be you, which BTW is literally the only reason you're posting in this thread. Stay in your lane. You obviously have nothing of value to offer here.

When you have a great true PG the ball moves, it doesn't stick to one guy, you don't a ton of pounding the ball thru the floor boards, that is what forces defenses to move out of what they want to do and in to what you want them to do. When you force a defense to move like that to go in to scramble mode ops open up for you all over the court. That is what we can now see and that is with Cadeau with still a lot to learn, he is no where close to what his potential is yet, imagine what we will have when his play catches up to his potential!

As usual, that would be you, which BTW is literally the only reason you're posting in this thread. Stay in your lane. You obviously have nothing of value to offer here.

No I was simply reading until I ran into your comments, and then I noticed you went off the rails and brought up why another posters was participating in another thread that was a "troll" thread.

Did I say anything above that wasn't true?

No I was simply reading until I ran into your comments, and then I noticed you went off the rails and brought up why another posters was participating in another thread that was a "troll" thread.

Did I say anything above that wasn't true?
Of course you did. Now go away and let adults have an actual basketball discussion.

That is an irony Dave, but also a result of his freedom and increased scoring - he’s commanding double-teams, especially when he drives which is opening up opportunities for 1. Kick-outs (I think he assisted 3 3-pointers the other night, and 2. Drop offs … the pass to withers was a beauty!

I hear what you say about Washington, I agree but like him coming off the bench to boost the offence as opposed to starting.
Ozzy, my bigger concern was Jalen was only playing 5-8mins a game and yet was producing nearly a point a minutes of PT. I am not married to him starting, I prefer it for now but off the bench for decent PT is fine with me. But the kid needs more than 5-8mins a game in my opinion, that has been my major rub.

...with Cadeau with still a lot to learn, he is no where close to what his potential is yet, imagine what we will have when his play catches up to his potential!
the stats don't show it, but he is having an impact. an unselfish passer affects the whole team in a positive way. the attitude and love for playmaking is contagious, just like selfishness was contagious last year.

the stats don't show it, but he is having an impact. an unselfish passer affects the whole team in a positive way. the attitude and love for playmaking is contagious, just like selfishness was contagious last year.
Cadeau on the court with RJ is absolutely having a huge effect, frankly his simply being on the team has a positive effect. It isn't lost on me, "Mr I never want to see RJ play a single minute more as our PG" (FYI, quoting my own words) how much better RJ is playing as our PG when Cadeau is out of the game. Cadeau being there has challenged RJ to become a better PG, a thing Caleb never did.

Cadeau on the court with RJ is absolutely having a huge effect, frankly his simply being on the team has a positive effect. It isn't lost on me, "Mr I never want to see RJ play a single minute more as our PG" (FYI, quoting my own words) how much better RJ is playing as our PG when Cadeau is out of the game. Cadeau being there has challenged RJ to become a better PG, a thing Caleb never did.
Now that is 100% spot-on.

Honestly, the clunky patterns have been distracting, but Ryan and Ingram with EC makes a lot of sense for the 3-pt threats, and Mando gets more good touches when EC is in.

With that said, from past notes we have had some productive stints with Seth and Ryan at the 2/3 with EC at PG. Put those three guys out there with Mando, and Wash or Ingram at the 4 could cover the rebounding vulnerability.
Thanks!

Reactions: gary-7
Honestly, the clunky patterns have been distracting, but Ryan and Ingram with EC makes a lot of sense for the 3-pt threats, and Mando gets more good touches when EC is in.

With that said, from past notes we have had some productive stints with Seth and Ryan at the 2/3 with EC at PG. Put those three guys out there with Mando, and Wash or Ingram at the 4 could cover the rebounding vulnerability.
I feel like we have a very solid 8 man rotation now, all 8 IMO deserve double digit minutes. I do want guys like High and Paxon to get minutes every game but maybe 5 is about my limit for them. Of what I consider to be our core 8 man rotation we have a really good back court guy in Seth and 2 just dripping with potential front court guys in Jalen and Withers and your front court typically gets more foul trouble than your back court.

Is it me or has Seth become a more athletic version of Kenny Williams?

I feel like we have a very solid 8 man rotation now, all 8 IMO deserve double digit minutes. I do want guys like High and Paxon to get minutes every game but maybe 5 is about my limit for them. Of what I consider to be our core 8 man rotation we have a really good back court guy in Seth and 2 just dripping with potential front court guys in Jalen and Withers and your front court typically gets more foul trouble than your back court.

Is it me or has Seth become a more athletic version of Kenny Williams?
Seth has been the pleasant surprise (not that he wasn't capable), as he just had to find his niche. I got a lotta pushback when we recruited him and I said in no uncertain terms he was NOT a PG, and to be sure, now with that fantasy over with, the kid is finding his ideal role as a versatile 2/3 "slasher" on offense who can guard 1-2-3 on D.

While he isn't the same shooter, yes there's a lot of similarity in roles with KW.

On your first note, I always thought that Pax was a good insurance policy --- not tha the can't play, he can --- but Seth's development and Ryan's value has indeed cut into his PT. I just don't want to relegate Pax to the point where it hurts his confidence.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
So you didn't notice the title and original poster, huh?
I've been on this site for like 15 years and nothing in that thread resembles any trolling or fighting. You are welcome to discuss with us.

I'd have to rewatch the beginning of the game again, but at least one three in that burst I believe was a RJ steal and leading the break and pulling up for what many would consider an I'll advised 3 if it didn't go in with no tar heels really down the court yet.

EC hasn't been what we hoped so far, but there is still a ton of time to get there. I am confident he can get there eventually.

As far as RJ goes, I don't know if there is a marked difference between catch and shoot 3s vs created space off the dribble 3s. He loves his step back 3s. It's actually something I'd be curious to see someone calculate.

I think last year we all noticed RJ tended to shoot at a very elite level, except when he had taped fingers last year (he had 2 spells of taped fingers last year and coincided with his 2 slumps).

He tends to get smothered when off the ball a lot as well.

I also am unsure that the team actually has a better efficiency rating with EC and RJ on the floor together, but I think it seems apparent the teams offensive efficiency plummets hard when RJ isn't on the court.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Of course you did. Now go away and let adults have an actual basketball discussion.
Here we go again--can't seem to have honest discussions without personalizing it. I love to read Gary and Dsouth's post but don't know why Gary took exception. And now here I am adding to the off the rails comments--lol.

I've been on this site for like 15 years and nothing in that thread resembles any trolling or fighting. You are welcome to discuss with us.

I'd have to rewatch the beginning of the game again, but at least one three in that burst I believe was a RJ steal and leading the break and pulling up for what many would consider an I'll advised 3 if it didn't go in with no tar heels really down the court yet.

EC hasn't been what we hoped so far, but there is still a ton of time to get there. I am confident he can get there eventually.

As far as RJ goes, I don't know if there is a marked difference between catch and shoot 3s vs created space off the dribble 3s. He loves his step back 3s. It's actually something I'd be curious to see someone calculate.

I think last year we all noticed RJ tended to shoot at a very elite level, except when he had taped fingers last year (he had 2 spells of taped fingers last year and coincided with his 2 slumps).

He tends to get smothered when off the ball a lot as well.

I also am unsure that the team actually has a better efficiency rating with EC and RJ on the floor together, but I think it seems apparent the teams offensive efficiency plummets hard when RJ isn't on the court.
RJ doesn't have to work nearly as hard for his shots playing off the ball, and we turn into a half-court team when EC is out. Pressing helped mitigate that last game, but everything comes more naturally and in flow when EC is at PG, especially when he and RI are in together.

RJ doesn't have to work nearly as hard for his shots playing off the ball, and we turn into a half-court team when EC is out. Pressing helped mitigate that last game, but everything comes more naturally and in flow when EC is at PG, especially when he and RI are in together.
He has had to work somewhat harder in the last few games. Partly because he’s hot and teams know it but they also know EC is not a shooting threat and they can add that pressure to RJ. I’m for those two getting more time together, only because when winning matters at the end of the season I think that could be our best lineup. As of right now EC needs to bow up. I believe peeps have seen enough tape on him now to know his shooting deficiencies. We need him to be our best.

Seth has been the pleasant surprise (not that he wasn't capable), as he just had to find his niche. I got a lotta pushback when we recruited him and I said in no uncertain terms he was NOT a PG, and to be sure, now with that fantasy over with, the kid is finding his ideal role as a versatile 2/3 "slasher" on offense who can guard 1-2-3 on D.

While he isn't the same shooter, yes there's a lot of similarity in roles with KW.

On your first note, I always thought that Pax was a good insurance policy --- not tha the can't play, he can --- but Seth's development and Ryan's value has indeed cut into his PT. I just don't want to relegate Pax to the point where it hurts his confidence.
Not all that worried about Paxon's confidence at this point, he put up 3 really quick jumpers last game, sure seems like he stills feel s confident (I could have done without those heat checks from a kid that has not been shooting well at all).. Geez, I sure hope we don't strand Okonkwo to the bench or it will hurt his confidence...LOL

That push back was from me and I stand by my position as things were when I gave that push back. It is like the Jalen can't play the 4 nonsense, the Seth can't play the point is the same. Seth was a PG before coming to UNC and he was & still is a pass first PG. But he has never been given the chance to be our PG so he has had to embrace playing at other positions just to be able to get playing time, credit Seth for being so versatile rather than dissing him with it being some fantasy of him being a PG.

Now Seth has spent the whole off season not working to be a PG because he knows that is not his position with Cadeau and RJ on the team, he had no choice but to take on more of a 2 guard approach.

Reactions: Heelicious
He has had to work somewhat harder in the last few games. Partly because he’s hot and teams know it but they also know EC is not a shooting threat and they can add that pressure to RJ. I’m for those two getting more time together, only because when winning matters at the end of the season I think that could be our best lineup. As of right now EC needs to bow up. I believe peeps have seen enough tape on him now to know his shooting deficiencies. We need him to be our best.
Yep. As i said above, EC needs to be told to have a "short memory" and stroke that 3 with confidence when they offer it. If you have to guard him from deep there is no way to stop him getting into the paint and creating havoc for defenses.

Oh, and once he does that. his teammates need to ALWAYS be ready for a dime.

Happy New Year Tar Heel Nation!!! I thought it was smart for Hubert allowing our defense to trap and attack to help shake off any Holiday rust. Working on different defenses was ideal and it allowed our offense to open up and score with some easy transition baskets. There is a lot to be happy about from a in the last few games. RJ is just in a zone and he is still allowing the game to come to him. He is not going off script and forcing plays or shots. I was very happy to see EC become more aggressive in the second half offensively. The young man has so much talent and we need him to maximize his potential by allowing him to do what he does best and that’s to run the team as our PG. He needs to assert himself as does the coaching staff in trying to put him in the best situations possible allowing his confidence to keep excelling. His layup in the second half was beautiful. Also I was happy to see RJ make just an easy pass over to EC for his three pointer for an easy assist. Hopefully that one shot gave him some confidence because we need for him to shoot these open perimeter shots. I do notice that he doesn’t use his legs very well in his outside shots. That’s something that I hope the coaching staff is helping him with as well. Both Seth and Washington are making that Sophmore jump. Seth’s defense and attacking the rim is going to be instrumental for our team going forward. Seth does have a tendency to make some plays harder than they need to be. He is a two foot jumper but he needs to work on taking one more dribble and jump off of one foot. Washington is also making an impact on both ends of the floor. Washington’s burst in the first half I think inspired Bacot. It seemed to wake up Bacot because when he got back into the game in the first half he started to assert himself and he became more aggressive. We really need either Withers or Paxson to start contributing consistently in every game. Paxson hustles and plays so hard but he seems to be forcing his game a little. Withers reaction time tends to be a fraction slow as he is adapting to a whole new role than he has been used to in the past. I love High’s passion and fire but I want him to do it without hurting the team. I did not like him being T’d up and Hubert not pulling him out of the game. Even If it was only for a play or two that shows discipline in which this and every player and team needs. After he got T’d up and he was still in the game he was on the court saying that it was a BS call. Zayden’s passion is something I’ve wanted for along time on a Tar Heels Team. In the Oklahoma game he made several positive plays that didn’t necessarily translate to the box score but it definitely helped effect the outcome of the game. I think Cormac is finally getting comfortable and he has been playing exceptional defense as of late. If he can start getting into a groove by hitting his outside shot consistently than it will elevate this team into another tier. Ingram is a rock. He doesn’t force the issue. We need to send a message going into Pittsburgh tomorrow night.

Not all that worried about Paxon's confidence at this point, he put up 3 really quick jumpers last game, sure seems like he stills feel s confident (I could have done without those heat checks from a kid that has not been shooting well at all).. Geez, I sure hope we don't strand Okonkwo to the bench or it will hurt his confidence...LOL

That push back was from me and I stand by my position as things were when I gave that push back. It is like the Jalen can't play the 4 nonsense, the Seth can't play the point is the same. Seth was a PG before coming to UNC and he was & still is a pass first PG. But he has never been given the chance to be our PG so he has had to embrace playing at other positions just to be able to get playing time, credit Seth for being so versatile rather than dissing him with it being some fantasy of him being a PG.

Now Seth has spent the whole off season not working to be a PG because he knows that is not his position with Cadeau and RJ on the team, he had no choice but to take on more of a 2 guard approach.
Sorry, but Seth was just never a natural PG in HS. He got by with athletic ability. To his credit, he tried hard to learn Point as a freshman here, but still, everything was done mechanically by rote as opposed to instinct.

That isn't a knock. Hell, RJ is a senior and just now getting to be able to run Point without having to think through everything (and a lot of that is Cadeau's example rubbing off, TBH, as others have mentioned).

I 100% stand by my original (and pretty obvious now) assessment that Seth is more natural as an athletic slasher/defender Wing. Again, the closest comparison to Dexter Strickland I can remember.

Last edited:
Seeing supposed adults squabble over 'ownership' of a thread on a FREE sports forum is like watching two old men push leaves into each other's yards with their hurry- canes.

the closest comparison to Dexter Strickland I can remember.
Interesting comparison. Size and athleticism I can see but it seems Dex had a bit more pg in him in his later seasons at UNC. Thinking if Seth had more inbred pg skills he could make a few $$'s in a play for pay league too .. but before his time is done he can make a big difference @UNC too. I'm really liking his progress so far.. him and Jwash both. Looking forward to Drake, Jack, Jwash, EC et. al together next year. Guess that would be hubs first team from the ground up. GO HEELS !

Reactions: gary-7
Sorry, but Seth was just never a natural PG in HS. He got by with athletic ability. To his credit, he tried hard to learn Point as a freshman here, but still, everything was done mechanically by rote as opposed to instinct.

That isn't a knock. Hell, RJ is a senior and just now getting to be able to run Point without having to think through everything (and a lot of that is Cadeau's example rubbing off, TBH, as others have mentioned).

I 100% stand by my original (and pretty obvious now) assessment that Seth is more natural as an athletic slasher/defender Wing. Again, the closest comparison to Dexter Strickland I can remember.
I still do not agree with your opinion on Seth...

Is Seth blossoming because he is getting a soph bump or is it because he is now free to play and not be forced to become a PG? Is it a combo of both? Who really knows, but several things are clear! 1. Seth is better and more confident now in his current role. 2. EC & RJ are real problems to defend. 3. EC and RJ can be attacked by big, strong, athletic guards. 4. JWash needs more time and I think he will find it at 4. 5. Hubs is slowly ramping up what he teaches and will continue to tweak D, O, and rotations. 6. High and Pax have earned PT and will both contribute to how far we go. 7. Right now, UConn is the only team out there we don't have an answer for..yet. 8. Our best lineup right now: EC, RJ, Ingram, JWash, Bacot. (Ryan, Withers, High = 1st off bench) 9. Lineup I want to gauge = EC, RJ, Ingram, JWit, JWash.

10. This is going to be a fun ride!

Yep, yet another long post that I nearly hit the post reply button several times but in the end didn't because I want this board to find some harmony. So yet again' I elected to not go there, not directed at you TP.

That is YOUR OPINION, don't claim it as fact... Your so called assessment is yet again nothing more than your opinion, it is not obvious nor should it be to anyone. It is EXACTLY like how I have been told so many times how Jalen can not play the 4 and yet when he finally gets the opportunity to play the position YOU said he couldn't, what does he do, 17 pts in what, 15mins? Your obvious is a lot more merky than you want to admit.

That is YOUR OPINION, don't claim it as fact... Your so called assessment is yet again nothing more than your opinion, it is not obvious nor should it be to anyone. It is EXACTLY like how I have been told so many times how Jalen can not play the 4 and yet when he finally gets the opportunity to play the position YOU said he couldn't, what does he do, 17 pts in what, 15mins? Your obvious is a lot more merky than you want to admit.
David, Jalen looked great Friday night.
This is also true: With Jalen at the 4 spot, Carolina out scored Charleston Souther 13-10 in those 4.5 minutes for a point per possession of over 2 pts per!!!!!
Great news!
Carolina also gave up 10 pts in those 4.5 min! That computes to what?
Just over 90 points per 40 min for Charleston Southern if that rate was prorated.
I am all for experimenting more with Bacot/ Jalen together, but the Staff will have to weigh the pros/ cons of offense vs defense.
During one possession Jalen switched with R.J and probably should not have, result was a WIDE OPEN 3. R.J. told him as much next dead ball and coached him up like a Sr should.

Happy New Year Tar Heel Nation!!! I thought it was smart for Hubert allowing our defense to trap and attack to help shake off any Holiday rust. Working on different defenses was ideal and it allowed our offense to open up and score with some easy transition baskets. There is a lot to be happy about from a in the last few games. RJ is just in a zone and he is still allowing the game to come to him. He is not going off script and forcing plays or shots. I was very happy to see EC become more aggressive in the second half offensively. The young man has so much talent and we need him to maximize his potential by allowing him to do what he does best and that’s to run the team as our PG. He needs to assert himself as does the coaching staff in trying to put him in the best situations possible allowing his confidence to keep excelling. His layup in the second half was beautiful. Also I was happy to see RJ make just an easy pass over to EC for his three pointer for an easy assist. Hopefully that one shot gave him some confidence because we need for him to shoot these open perimeter shots. I do notice that he doesn’t use his legs very well in his outside shots. That’s something that I hope the coaching staff is helping him with as well. Both Seth and Washington are making that Sophmore jump. Seth’s defense and attacking the rim is going to be instrumental for our team going forward. Seth does have a tendency to make some plays harder than they need to be. He is a two foot jumper but he needs to work on taking one more dribble and jump off of one foot. Washington is also making an impact on both ends of the floor. Washington’s burst in the first half I think inspired Bacot. It seemed to wake up Bacot because when he got back into the game in the first half he started to assert himself and he became more aggressive. We really need either Withers or Paxson to start contributing consistently in every game. Paxson hustles and plays so hard but he seems to be forcing his game a little. Withers reaction time tends to be a fraction slow as he is adapting to a whole new role than he has been used to in the past. I love High’s passion and fire but I want him to do it without hurting the team. I did not like him being T’d up and Hubert not pulling him out of the game. Even If it was only for a play or two that shows discipline in which this and every player and team needs. After he got T’d up and he was still in the game he was on the court saying that it was a BS call. Zayden’s passion is something I’ve wanted for along time on a Tar Heels Team. In the Oklahoma game he made several positive plays that didn’t necessarily translate to the box score but it definitely helped effect the outcome of the game. I think Cormac is finally getting comfortable and he has been playing exceptional defense as of late. If he can start getting into a groove by hitting his outside shot consistently than it will elevate this team into another tier. Ingram is a rock. He doesn’t force the issue. We need to send a message going into Pittsburgh tomorrow night.
Some great points, I did have some trouble reading this though… paragraphs please!
😁

Reactions: Heels5150
lol, I know I’m bad about that. I just start writing and I just let loose. I will try and do that going forward. Thx, for the constructive criticism Oz.
I have this bad habit that I try to stay on guard for but still catches me at times. Like you, I will be letting it loose on a topic and when I am done I want to hit the reply button to submit it and move on. Well to often I would have to go back and edit what I had submitted because of a lot of different things. So I now try to force myself to re-read back thru before I post, I catch a lot of things that I have to correct, some that embarrass me for how it comes off. It has resulted in many posts that I write just being simply cut rather than re-word or adjust. In fact just today on another thread was a post I elected to just toss in the garbage that I really wanted to get off my chest but elected not to.

So I would recommend just a quick re-read to see if it is hard to read for you, maybe want to tweek it some way, did words fumble in a way you didn't intend, ect. Great example of words fumbling that spell check does not show up to help. I have fat fingers for a key board, many times when I use the words "is not" the space will be in the wrong place and it will read "I snot", clearly not what I wanted to share! LOL

Oh, just FYI, in case maybe you didn't realize, after you submit a post, if you need to change it in any way you can as I have done here, hit edit and you as the writer can change it in any way you want, so you can go back and add paragraph breaks if you want. Just a tip that may help ya, nothing more, I will read what you say paragraph breaks or not but the breaks do make it a lot easier to read.

I have this bad habit that I try to stay on guard for but still catches me at times. Like you, I will be letting it loose on a topic and when I am done I want to hit the reply button to submit it and move on. Well to often I would have to go back and edit what I had submitted because of a lot of different things. So I now try to force myself to re-read back thru before I post, I catch a lot of things that I have to correct, some that embarrass me for how it comes off. It has resulted in many posts that I write just being simply cut rather than re-word or adjust. In fact just today on another thread was a post I elected to just toss in the garbage that I really wanted to get off my chest but elected not to.

So I would recommend just a quick re-read to see if it is hard to read for you, maybe want to tweek it some way, did words fumble in a way you didn't intend, ect. Great example of words fumbling that spell check does not show up to help. I have fat fingers for a key board, many times when I use the words "is not" the space will be in the wrong place and it will read "I snot", clearly not what I wanted to share! LOL
This is Dave’s way of saying “ditto”

Yes, I definitely need to go back and edit some of my grammar and mistakes. I will reread some of my posts and I just shake my head at some of my errors. lol, Thx for everyone’s patience and suggestions. I will definitely make an effort to improve in these areas.

Dude, You already said you disagreed about Seth just a few posts above. Fine. So, why can't you leave it at that and move on?

And I don't know WTF you're even ranting about now. I never once said JWash couldn't play the 4.

You talk about "harmony" but then you post this? Look, if you can't refrain from attacking me for whatever imagined reasons then please just ignore my posts from now on.

This is Dave’s way of saying “ditto”
Yeah, I know and I know you are not wrong as well! LOL I honestly can't help it, it is the way I am wired, everything is a selling situation for me so it has always been vital for me to make my case as clearly as I can and I just can't do that in a few word snippets. I write like I talk, I explain what I feel is not clear and yeah, I go over board when I do. LOL

Yeah, I know and I know you are not wrong as well! LOL I honestly can't help it, it is the way I am wired, everything is a selling situation for me so it has always been vital for me to make my case as clearly as I can and I just can't do that in a few word snippets. I write like I talk, I explain what I feel is not clear and yeah, I go over board when I do. LOL
No worries…. Though I’d hate to see how you go several drinks into a discussion… guessing your friends have seen their fair share of sunrises!

FTR: I went on record as saying I preferred JWit to be our starting 4 before the season started and I was positive-indeed I defended this stance mightily! Now, things have changed: 1. Ingram plays bigger than I thought he could and seems to hold his own. 2. JWit spit the bit and needs to be brought along more slowly than I anticipated. 3. I never considered JWash because of the need to have a dedicated backup at 5.

I also agree that Seth is a combo that could learn to be a passable PG; RJ is a combo who has reached PG status; and EC was born to run point but still needs seasoning to do it at peak efficiency!

BTW: I might be a bit long-winded as well, lol!

I don't consider my opinion wrong in any sense since I still think ultimately, we need a big at 4 so Ingram can be an even larger matchup nightmare at 3. I would still work to get JWit ready as fast as possible because our need is greater at backup 5. If High or Okonkwo develop fast enough, JWash can become a dedicated 4 with some defensive work, but he is suited to be a change of pace 5 more imo!

I also agree that Seth is a combo that could learn to be a passable PG; RJ is a combo who has reached PG status; and EC was born to run point but still needs seasoning to do it at peak efficiency!
The above paragraph is such a good way to look at the backcourt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT