ADVERTISEMENT

Ocasio-Cortez, the gift that just keeps on giving...

Trumps has been better than I expected but he’s been a huge let down as well. He hasn’t done anything that any other republican would have done. They controlled all the branches of government.

Meanwhile:

- he’s failed to repeal ACA
- no border wall
- immigration continues to be an issue
- tax cuts really only helped big business/didn’t go far enough
- no infrastructure bill
- hasn’t cut planned Parenthood

See here is the problem with you guys that call yourselves conservatives. The first item on a real conservative's list is to cut spending. You don't give tax cuts until you have the budget under control then you cut taxes along with reducing services.

See here is the problem with you guys that call yourselves conservatives. The first item on a real conservative's list is to cut spending. You don't give tax cuts until you have the budget under control then you cut taxes along with reducing services.

That isn't necessarily true. You know what the theory behind cutting taxes, especially corporate taxes is, right?

Yup, I decided to go back and finish at 37.

Cool. In what? What about grad school?

That isn't necessarily true. You know what the theory behind cutting taxes, especially corporate taxes is, right?

A classic conservative would tell you we spend way too much. We need deep cuts. Anyone else is a RINO.

Economic theory would suggest in a hot economy with low UE, you don’t slash taxes.

Cool. In what? What about grad school?

A classic conservative would tell you we spend way too much. We need deep cuts. Anyone else is a RINO.

Economic theory would suggest in a hot economy with low UE, you don’t slash taxes.

Undergrad in Finance and I've decided to go get my MBA next.

I completely agree that we spend too much, and I also agree that tax cuts can inflate the deficit. However, if you grow the economy enough by cutting the taxes, then you can come out ahead. Basically, if you're taking 40% of the pie for the government, you could essentially get even more by taking 30%, but from a much bigger pie. That's essentially the argument for cutting corporate taxes.

I would also say that corporate taxes should also be lower so that companies are more likely to bring their cash back to the US and invest it here. If you want to tax more, do it at the personal level. High corporate taxes just cut companies off at the knees and it hurts smaller businesses who are trying to compete but don't have that offshore option to store their cash.

Undergrad in Finance and I've decided to go get my MBA next.

I completely agree that we spend too much, and I also agree that tax cuts can inflate the deficit. However, if you grow the economy enough by cutting the taxes, then you can come out ahead. Basically, if you're taking 40% of the pie for the government, you could essentially get even more by taking 30%, but from a much bigger pie. That's essentially the argument for cutting corporate taxes.

I would also say that corporate taxes should also be lower so that companies are more likely to bring their cash back to the US and invest it here. If you want to tax more, do it at the personal level. High corporate taxes just cut companies off at the knees and it hurts smaller businesses who are trying to compete but don't have that offshore option to store their cash.
Good luck with the mba. I did mine. It was the best/worst experience. Was very happy when it was over.

As for the rest, it’s friday and I don’t feel like getting deep into macro economics. I’ll be curious to see how much (if any) your views change during and after the mba. What programs are you looking at?

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Good luck with the mba. I did mine. It was the best/worst experience. Was very happy when it was over.

As for the rest, it’s friday and I don’t feel like getting deep into macro economics. I’ll be curious to see how much (if any) your views change during and after the mba. What programs are you looking at?

I'm not quite sure what my focus will be yet. It'll probably be accounting or economics. Right now I'm leaning towards econ. I hesitate to focus on finance since that was my undergrad, even though I do like it.

Edit: As for the discussion, it's all good. It's a tricky issue, to say the least.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
But the scenery is probably good!

The scenery was...

iu

Reactions: nctransplant
There's always going to be another bubble on the horizon. That's just how fractional reserve banking works. I just hope it holds off a few more years.
A few years? No way.

The seeds are sown. Republican administrations do the same shit over and over.

A few years? No way.

It isn't just the Republicans. The whole system is jacked up. It's because there's no accountability on Wall Street. When places like Goldman Sachs make money, they keep it. When they lose money, they socialize the losses.

A few years? No way.

I also wonder if they'll try to keep the bubble from bursting until Trump gets out of office. He's not on really good terms with the banks and there's a slight possibility that he would veto a bailout.

I'm not quite sure what my focus will be yet. It'll probably be accounting or economics. Right now I'm leaning towards econ. I hesitate to focus on finance since that was my undergrad, even though I do like it.

Edit: As for the discussion, it's all good. It's a tricky issue, to say the least.

Make sure you tell the Econ professors about how you think subsidies shouldn’t exist. They’ll get a kick out of that.

Yep. And there isn’t enough room to drop interest rates for the fed to do damage control. That magnified the problem in 08

Artificially low interest rates are part of the problem. People like you think you can control the economy, but you can't. Your thought process leads us to ruin.

Artificially low interest rates are part of the problem. People like you think you can control the economy, but you can't. Your thought process leads us to ruin.

People like me? Dude, lowering interest rates to help fight a recession is basic shit. I never said anything about “controlling the economy.” You really need to watch less Ben Shapiro and stop with this straw man bullshit

People like me? Dude, lowering interest rates to help fight a recession is basic shit. I never said anything about “controlling the economy.” You really need to watch less Ben Shapiro and stop with this straw man bullshit

It's basic shit to people who think they can control the economy. Basically, it's a reaction to a horrible initial action.

Who is saying that it's a positive? You, of all people, should know that there is a price to pay for every benefit.

A positive externality is a social benefit that is not represented in the price. Subsidies are used to move the market towards the efficient quantity exchanged. In the case of Tesla, or Space X they are clearly providing external benefits. Especially when you consider the fact that Musl shares his IP with the rest of the world. “Free” Market fundamentalists get shot down pretty quickly in an Econ program.

A positive externality is a social benefit that is not represented in the price. Subsidies are used to move the market towards the efficient quantity exchanged. In the case of Tesla, or Space X they are clearly providing external benefits. Especially when you consider the fact that Musl shares his IP with the rest of the world. “Free” Market fundamentalists get shot down pretty quickly in an Econ program.

Stealing from the taxpayer to fund the rich is a positive externality? You sound like Donald Trump.

Do you think a group of people can control the economy? If you do, I'm not the "silly one" in this thread.

Wtf are you even talking about? I literally just said that I wasn’t talking about “controlling the economy.” If you don’t think that the fed lowering interests can mitigate some of the damage caused by a recession then you don’t know anything about economics or history. Changing interest rates is not “controlling the economy.” It’s basic macroeconomics.

Stealing from the taxpayer to fund the rich is a positive externality? You sound like Donald Trump.

Don’t go full retard. Funding research that reduces carbon emissions, advances technology, and benefits other businesses as well as Musk’s companies is a positive externality.

Wtf are you even talking about? I literally just said that I wasn’t talking about “controlling the economy.” If you don’t think that the fed lowering interests can mitigate some of the damage caused by a recession then you don’t know anything about economics or history. Changing interest rates is not “controlling the economy.” It’s basic macroeconomics.

What do you think artificially lowering interest rates means? The rising and lowering of interest rates by a cabal isn't natural.

Don’t go full retard. Funding research that reduces carbon emissions, advances technology, and benefits other businesses as well as Musk’s companies is a positive externality.

This has nothing to do with economics. It has to do with your preconceived thought process. You're trying to make this connection to positive externalities. If that technology was realistic, companies would be lining up to make a fortune.

What do you think artificially lowering interest rates means? The rising and lowering of interest rates by a cabal isn't natural.

Interest rates change as a response to economic fluctuations. We’ve already agreed that the situation with the fed is not ideal, but with interest rates sitting at artificially lowered rates during a burning hot economy, there is no room for them to respond to an economic downturn. Any lender will have to change interest rates to respond to economic downturns if they want to continue making money.

This has nothing to do with economics. It has to do with your preconceived thought process. You're trying to make this connection to positive externalities. If that technology was realistic, companies would be lining up to make a fortune.

It has everything to do with economics. And now you just sound completely ridiculous. The technology is obviously realistic. Tesla builds badass cars that are all over the road. They’ve built charging stations all over the country and pioneered quick charging tech that has revolutionized the EV market. SpaceX has now reused a rocket like three times. They’re completely changing the way we approach space travel and exploration. Try telling Elon Musk his tech isn’t realistic while he proves time and time again that it isn’t just ‘realistic,’ it’s real and applicable.

Interest rates change as a response to economic fluctuations. We’ve already agreed that the situation with the fed is not ideal, but with interest rates sitting at artificially lowered rates during a burning hot economy, there is no room for them to respond to an economic downturn. Any lender will have to change interest rates to respond to economic downturns if they want to continue making money.

This is a problem with the Fed itself. They have manipulated the system to the point where they can manipulate it no more. It's all about time compaired to interest. Lower interest rates help corporations that are looking for investments, and it doesn't hurt banks because they know they are "too big to fail."

It has everything to do with economics. And now you just sound completely ridiculous. The technology is obviously realistic. Tesla builds badass cars that are all over the road. They’ve built charging stations all over the country and pioneered quick charging tech that has revolutionized the EV market. SpaceX has now reused a rocket like three times. They’re completely changing the way we approach space travel and exploration. Try telling Elon Musk his tech isn’t realistic while he proves time and time again that it isn’t just ‘realistic,’ it’s real and applicable.

You're starting to get angry, and you continue to leave out the fact that poor people are having to pay to subsidize cars for the upper middle class and rich. Tesla cars might be great when they aren't killing their passengers, but it isn't the US government's job to play favorites. This just leads to cronyism and corruption.

This is a problem with the Fed itself. They have manipulated the system to the point where they can manipulate it no more. It's all about time compaired to interest. Lower interest rates help corporations that are looking for investments, and it doesn't hurt banks because they know they are "too big to fail."

That’s just wrong. They would have the power to mitigate against recession if the interest rates are raised before it hits. They need room to drop the interest rates, or then they won’t be able to do damage control. I’m not supporting the fed, but this is basic macro theory.

That’s just wrong. They would have the power to mitigate against recession if the interest rates are raised before it hits. They need room to drop the interest rates, or then they won’t be able to do damage control. I’m not supporting the fed, but this is basic macro theory.

Again, this is just a narcissitic response to people who think they can control the world. You have a hard time debating a finance major on some random message board. Do you think you have the wherewithal to control the destruction of the economy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT