ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Rock Band Tournament First Round: Chris Cornell Region

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
It’s time to start the first round of voting in what may be the strongest region of the tournament, the Chris Cornell Region. You will have 48 hours to make your selection before voting closes. I’ll give a brief rundown of each band and include my vote in a spoiler alert.

1 Led Zeppelin- Led by two of the biggest names in rock, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Zeppelin took the top spot in this region. They have sold over 300 million albums worldwide and have had record breaking crowds at their concerts.

16 Allman Brothers- Coming out of Georgia, the Allman Brothers have been influential in southern rock. They are often referred to as one of the first great jam bands.

Can’t get much better than some good southern rock, but Page and Plant are too good of a duo to lose this matchup. My vote goes to Led Zeppelin.

2 Rolling Stones- The Stones are led by the famous Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Part of the British invasion, they have sold over 200 million albums worldwide and had three of the highest grossing tours of all time.

15 Chuck Berry- Considered one of the pioneers of rock and roll, Berry is one of the most influential artist of all time. He incorporated electronic effects to mimic the sound of bottleneck blues to get his distinctive guitar sound.

Super tough matchup here, but I just can’t go against the guy who started the whole thing. I might not be Johnny, but I’m going to be good and vote for Chuck Berry.

3 AC/DC- Selling more than 200 million albums worldwide, AC/DC has become a staple in sports stadiums across the world with songs such as “Hells Bells” and “Thunderstruck.” They were founded by the Young brothers, Malcom and Angus who always wears a tie and shorts on stage.

14 Cream- Widely regarded as the first supergroup featuring Eric Clapton, Cream left their mark on music by helping to popularize the use of the wah-wah pedal.

Cream is a great band, but AC/DC’s catalog is too much to handle. AC/DC wins this round.

4 Nirvana- Nirvana is considered to be one of the most influential bands in the genre even though they only released three albums. Selling over 75 million albums worldwide, they were led by Kirk Cobain and the drumming of Dave Grohl.

13 KISS- Well known for their face paint and stage outfits, Kiss has sold over 75 million albums worldwide. Kiss innovated the concert game by being one of the first bands to sell branded non music merchandise on their tours.

If you’ve ever heard “Nevermind” there is no need to explain why I’m picking Nirvana. If you haven’t heard “Nevermind,” stop what you are doing and listen to it.

5 Guns N' Roses- GNR has sold over 100 million albums worldwide helped by their hugely successful debut album “Appetite for Destruction.” Lead guitarist Slash is known for always wearing his trademark top hat.

12 Van Halen- Known for the infighting just as much as their music, Van Halen is one of only five rock bands that have had two studio albums sell more than 10 million copies in the US.

Who’s cooler than Slash? My sweet children are telling me to vote for GNR.

6 Jimi Hendrix- Known for being one of the most influential guitarist of all time, Jimi utilized overdriven amplifiers with high volume in his music. He performed one of the most memorable live songs when he played the national anthem at Woodstock.

11 Stone Temple Pilots- Selling more than 40 million albums worldwide, STP became one of the most successful rock bands of the 90’s. Led by the distinctive voice of Scott Weiland, STP was able to chart 16 top ten hits.

Tough matchup hear, but Jimi is Jimi. You can’t vote against a man that made the national anthem cool.

7 Foo Fighters- Formed by Dave Grohl, a former member of Nirvana, the Foo have become one of the biggest names in rock music today. They are known for melding melodic elements with heavier ones.

10 Pearl Jam- Selling over 60 million albums worldwide, Pearl Jam is one of the biggest names in grunge. Their debut album “Ten” was an instant classic and they are considered one of the leaders of grunge.

Pearl Jam is undeniable, but big me is going with the Foo in this matchup.

8 Aerosmith- Led by Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry, Aerosmith is rooted in blues based hard rock. Selling over 150 million albums worldwide, they have become one of rocks biggest names.

9 Soundgarden- They are known as a pioneer of the grunge movement and were led by one of the greatest voices in rock music, Chris Cornell. Praised for their technical musical ability, they have given us top singles such as “Black Hole Sun” and “Spoonman.”

Chris Cornell’s song writing and excellent voice are too much for Aerosmith to overcome in this matchup. Soundgarden wins this one.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
1-Zeppelin-Allman Brothers are legit but taking down Led Zeppelin is going to be tough.

2-Rolling Stones

14-Cream-AC/DC are pretty overrated and Cream is solid.

4-Nirvana-Not even close to the cream of the crop of grunge bands and also quite overrated but Kiss is terrible.

5-GnR-Van Halen got a raw deal and bad draw here.

6-Jimi

10-Pearl Jam-Really don't like anything after Ten but that album trumps Foo, who I do like ok.

8-Aerosmith-I found this one tough. If Audioslave/Soundgarden would have been as one may have gone with them. Aerosmith has enough stuff before they starting sucking to take it though.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Allman Brothers - Dedicating this one to my mom. One of her favorite bands.

Rolling Stones - Gotta go with the stones here.

AC/DC - Sorry, Eric. I like you better as a solo act.

Nirvana
- I never cared for them as much as most, but they're alright. KISS is just an embarrassment though.

GNR - This one was tough for me, but I'll go GNR

Stone Temple Pilots - Hate to go against Jimi, but STP holds a special place in my heart. They were the 90s for me.

Foo Fighters - Automatic. One of my favorites.

Soundgarden - This is what rock is supposed to sound like. I don't hate Aerosmith as much as some do though.

It’s time to start the first round of voting in what may be the strongest region of the tournament, the Chris Cornell Region. You will have 48 hours to make your selection before voting closes. I’ll give a brief rundown of each band and include my vote in a spoiler alert.

1 Led Zeppelin- Led by two of the biggest names in rock, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Zeppelin took the top spot in this region. They have sold over 300 million albums worldwide and have had record breaking crowds at their concerts.

16 Allman Brothers- Coming out of Georgia, the Allman Brothers have been influential in southern rock. They are often referred to as one of the first great jam bands.

Can’t get much better than some good southern rock, but Page and Plant are too good of a duo to lose this matchup. My vote goes to Led Zeppelin.

2 Rolling Stones- The Stones are led by the famous Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Part of the British invasion, they have sold over 200 million albums worldwide and had three of the highest grossing tours of all time.

15 Chuck Berry- Considered one of the pioneers of rock and roll, Berry is one of the most influential artist of all time. He incorporated electronic effects to mimic the sound of bottleneck blues to get his distinctive guitar sound.

Super tough matchup here, but I just can’t go against the guy who started the whole thing. I might not be Johnny, but I’m going to be good and vote for Chuck Berry.

3 AC/DC- Selling more than 200 million albums worldwide, AC/DC has become a staple in sports stadiums across the world with songs such as “Hells Bells” and “Thunderstruck.” They were founded by the Young brothers, Malcom and Angus who always wears a tie and shorts on stage.

14 Cream- Widely regarded as the first supergroup featuring Eric Clapton, Cream left their mark on music by helping to popularize the use of the wah-wah pedal.

Cream is a great band, but AC/DC’s catalog is too much to handle. AC/DC wins this round.

4 Nirvana- Nirvana is considered to be one of the most influential bands in the genre even though they only released three albums. Selling over 75 million albums worldwide, they were led by Kirk Cobain and the drumming of Dave Grohl.

13 KISS- Well known for their face paint and stage outfits, Kiss has sold over 75 million albums worldwide. Kiss innovated the concert game by being one of the first bands to sell branded non music merchandise on their tours.

If you’ve ever heard “Nevermind” there is no need to explain why I’m picking Nirvana. If you haven’t heard “Nevermind,” stop what you are doing and listen to it.

5 Guns N' Roses- GNR has sold over 100 million albums worldwide helped by their hugely successful debut album “Appetite for Destruction.” Lead guitarist Slash is known for always wearing his trademark top hat.

12 Van Halen- Known for the infighting just as much as their music, Van Halen is one of only five rock bands that have had two studio albums sell more than 10 million copies in the US.

Who’s cooler than Slash? My sweet children are telling me to vote for GNR.

6 Jimi Hendrix- Known for being one of the most influential guitarist of all time, Jimi utilized overdriven amplifiers with high volume in his music. He performed one of the most memorable live songs when he played the national anthem at Woodstock.

11 Stone Temple Pilots- Selling more than 40 million albums worldwide, STP became one of the most successful rock bands of the 90’s. Led by the distinctive voice of Scott Weiland, STP was able to chart 16 top ten hits.

Tough matchup hear, but Jimi is Jimi. You can’t vote against a man that made the national anthem cool.

7 Foo Fighters- Formed by Dave Grohl, a former member of Nirvana, the Foo have become one of the biggest names in rock music today. They are known for melding melodic elements with heavier ones.

10 Pearl Jam- Selling over 60 million albums worldwide, Pearl Jam is one of the biggest names in grunge. Their debut album “Ten” was an instant classic and they are considered one of the leaders of grunge.

Pearl Jam is undeniable, but big me is going with the Foo in this matchup.

8 Aerosmith- Led by Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry, Aerosmith is rooted in blues based hard rock. Selling over 150 million albums worldwide, they have become one of rocks biggest names.

9 Soundgarden- They are known as a pioneer of the grunge movement and were led by one of the greatest voices in rock music, Chris Cornell. Praised for their technical musical ability, they have given us top singles such as “Black Hole Sun” and “Spoonman.”

Chris Cornell’s song writing and excellent voice are too much for Aerosmith to overcome in this matchup. Soundgarden wins this one.
Well done.

Could you add the matchups for easy copy/paste? TIA.

Well done.

Could you add the matchups for easy copy/paste? TIA.
My bad. I was about half asleep when I posted it last night.

1 Led Zeppelin
16 Allman Brothers

2 Rolling Stones
15 Chuck Berry

3 AC/DC
14 Cream

4 Nirvana
13 KISS

5 Guns N' Roses
12 Van Halen

6 Jimi Hendrix
11 Stone Temple Pilots

7 Foo Fighters
10 Pearl Jam

8 Aerosmith
9 Soundgarden

@tarheel0910 . . Matt, thanks for all your efforts in putting this together . . !

Led Zep

Stones

AC/DC

Nirvana

Van Halen

Hendrix

Foo Fighters

Soundgarden
No problem. Music has been a large part of my life, so I'm enjoying it. I might have to give @heelz2345 some bitcoin to finish up the OSM video though. I have learned that my video editing skills suck.

16 Allman Brothers
15 Chuck Berry
14 Cream
4 Nirvana
12 Van Halen
6 Jimi Hendrix
7 Foo Fighters
9 Soundgarden

Let me first say that this is my least favorite region, and y'all well know my thoughts on Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Kiss. Also, how is Guns n' Roses in this group and not in the "metal" group? Lol.

Allman Brothers -- wake up momma. Turn your lamp down low [on Led Zeppelin]

Rolling Stones -- I recognize Chuck Berry is a pioneer, but I'm going with the Stones.

Cream -- I would've voted for anyone who was matched up against AC/DC, including Sisqo, Michael Bublé, Baha Men, and Nick Jonas.

Nirvana -- is this even a question? KISS is terrible.

Guns N' Roses -- both these bands had psychos for band members. Going with Paradise City.

Stone Temple -- don't @ me

Pearl Jam

Soundgarden -- Aerosmith is only slightly less overrated than AC/DC.

1 Led Zeppelin

2 Rolling Stones

3 AC/DC

13 KISS

5 Guns N' Roses

6 Jimi Hendrix

7 Foo Fighters

8 Aerosmith

1 Led Zeppelin - I like the Allman Bros, but Zeppelin is Rock 'n' Roll Mount Rushmore. They only made 8 studio albums, but the first 6 are some of the best rock albums ever.

2 Rolling Stones -
I love Marvin's cousin Chuck, and if it weren't for his influence, the Stones may not have become what they were. Keef openly admits that he nicked most of Berry's guitar licks. Obviously, my avatar gives it away... I love the Stones. I will say... I honestly wish they had broken up in the early 80's before their album quality started going downhill. I feel like their legacy has been tarnished, whereas Zeppelin's was strong throughout their short career.

14 Cream - as with most matchups in this bracket, I like both groups, but Clapton is a guitar god, so I'll go with the Brits.

13 KISS - As a teenager in the late 70's, KISS freaked out our parents, what with all the make-up, blood, fire-spitting, and tongue-wagging. So of course my buddies and I all loved them. Isn't that part of what rock and roll is all about? As an adult, I realize they were campy, and I know their music isn't great. I also know they don't deserve to win this round, but I'm throwing them a nostalgia vote just the same.

12 Van Halen - David Lee or Axel? Eddie or Slash? Flip a coin...

6 Jimi Hendrix -
I do like STP, but I have to go with Jimi. I mean, it's Jimi MF'ing Hendrix!

7 Foo Fighters -
another close one, but Dave went from drummer with Nirvana, to fronting FF; pretty damn impressive.

8 Aerosmith -
tough choice, but the early Aerosmith sways my vote.

16 Allman Brothers - I love Jimmy Page and the rest of the boys, but this is the music that really moves me. One of my all-time favorite bands

15 Chuck Berry
probably deserves to win the whole thing considering how many of his licks got lifted by later guitarists

14 Cream
- White Room is one of my favorite guitar solos ever

13 KISS
I just hate KISS less than I hate Nirvana

5 Guns N' Roses

6 Jimi Hendrix
- 6 seed? lmao

10 Pearl Jam

8 Aerosmith
ugh

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Cream
Nirvana
Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Results are below. Winners are in bold.

Led Zeppelin- 11

Allman Brothers- 5

Rolling Stones- 10
Chuck Berry- 6

AC/DC- 8 (+ tiebreaker)
Cream- 8

Nirvana- 11
KISS- 5

Guns N' Roses- 11
Van Halen- 5

Jimi Hendrix- 11
Stone Temple Pilots- 5

Foo Fighters- 11
Pearl Jam- 5

Aerosmith- 6
Soundgarden- 10

Reactions: Raising Heel
Straight chalk except for the 8/9 game. Preview of the matchups for the next round.

1 Led Zeppelin
9 Soundgarden

5 Guns N' Roses
4 Nirvana

6 Jimi Hendrix
3 AC/DC

7 Foo Fighters
2 Rolling Stones

To me FF has a stronger body of work. PJ started out strong and they ended up basically disappearing.
You obviously haven't seen them live recently or heard their latest albums. They've been putting out really good stuff and great shows for nearly three decades now. Pearl Jam's "body of work" stacks up against literally anyone.

Straight chalk except for the 8/9 game. Preview of the matchups for the next round.

1 Led Zeppelin
9 Soundgarden

5 Guns N' Roses
4 Nirvana

6 Jimi Hendrix
3 AC/DC

7 Foo Fighters
2 Rolling Stones
If it comes down to Zeppelin V. Stones, my head gonna explode! But this is OOTB, after all so it will likely end up GNR v AC/DC.

You obviously haven't seen them live recently or heard their latest albums. They've been putting out really good stuff and great shows for nearly three decades now. Pearl Jam's "body of work" stacks up against literally anyone.
Wait, they're still alive?

EDIT: My bad, I thought it was still open, missed results post. I'm not as good at voting when I have to hit other's deadlines

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT