ADVERTISEMENT

Our Pace Today

ChapelHeeled

All-American
Nov 9, 2011
UNC did not push the ball up the court today as much as they could have. Neither did the Tar Heels create a fast pace to get easy shots and open looks, as well as easy layups. Need to run more and thus use the bench more. Go Heels!

UNC did not push the ball up the court today as much as they could have. Neither did the Tar Heels create a fast pace to get easy shots and open looks, as well as easy layups. Need to run more and thus use the bench more. Go Heels!
Miami was well-prepared and got back on D. However, we were (until the last 7 minutea or so) pushing and that staked us to leads in both halves. They just thwarted most of our true break ops.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Walked the ball up too many times. That allowed Miami to set their defense. Need to push the ball up more in most of our games...

One thing is absolutely clear, with Cadeau in we try to push the ball, we try to rip and run, less of late but given the chance Cadeau is going to take tempo up. With RJ at the point we become a half court team, few if any breaks, we walk it up court.

Prior to this season, I saw 3 major issues that I felt needed to drastically change. First we needed to get back to the UNC breaks, even off made baskets, we have seen flashes of that but those flashes are decreasing over time, in part because other teams are sending fewer guys to the offensive boards, we at times struggle to find the guard that ignites the breaks, and we have players that get tired that find their wind break walking the ball up court.

Second major change I wanted fits in to the first, use your bench deep, keep fresher legs out there and we have pretty well. The concern i have there is don 't just use the bench for defense and blocking out, use them as part of your offense. Use the strength of your bench players games. JWit is extremely athletic but struggles to put the ball on the floor, I want him making hard cuts thru the lane where he can catch and finish, I will take the occasional mid range from him, just don't put the ball on the floor for more than 2 bounces. JWash, man, when he is in you have to look for his jump shooting, he has to look for it. Seth, don't want him putting up many treys.

3rd, Hubert needed to chill out on the set plays and let them both practice free lance and play it in games. Hubert has slowly gravitated back to calling to many sets, ok, we got it, run RJ thru a couple elevator screens yet again... I love the heart and soul RJ plays with but we are relying to much on him to produce, the kid is wearing down. I think when we get in to half court offense, we are better when the ball touches the paint and then either finish inside or kick it back out to a shooter.

I feel like we were trying to improve on all 3 aspects earlier season but lately we seem to be slipping back in to the things that caused problems last season, need to pump the breaks on that slippage.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
One thing is absolutely clear, with Cadeau in we try to push the ball, we try to rip and run, less of late but given the chance Cadeau is going to take tempo up. With RJ at the point we become a half court team, few if any breaks, we walk it up court.

Prior to this season, I saw 3 major issues that I felt needed to drastically change. First we needed to get back to the UNC breaks, even off made baskets, we have seen flashes of that but those flashes are decreasing over time, in part because other teams are sending fewer guys to the offensive boards, we at times struggle to find the guard that ignites the breaks, and we have players that get tired that find their wind break walking the ball up court.

Second major change I wanted fits in to the first, use your bench deep, keep fresher legs out there and we have pretty well. The concern i have there is don 't just use the bench for defense and blocking out, use them as part of your offense. Use the strength of your bench players games. JWit is extremely athletic but struggles to put the ball on the floor, I want him making hard cuts thru the lane where he can catch and finish, I will take the occasional mid range from him, just don't put the ball on the floor for more than 2 bounces. JWash, man, when he is in you have to look for his jump shooting, he has to look for it. Seth, don't want him putting up many treys.

3rd, Hubert needed to chill out on the set plays and let them both practice free lance and play it in games. Hubert has slowly gravitated back to calling to many sets, ok, we got it, run RJ thru a couple elevator screens yet again... I love the heart and soul RJ plays with but we are relying to much on him to produce, the kid is wearing down. I think when we get in to half court offense, we are better when the ball touches the paint and then either finish inside or kick it back out to a shooter.

I feel like we were trying to improve on all 3 aspects earlier season but lately we seem to be slipping back in to the things that caused problems last season, need to pump the breaks on that slippage.
So then you suspect that some of our guys are catching their breath when we are bringing the ball up ... ( interesting)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT