ADVERTISEMENT

Overly Sensitive People

Not sure if anyone else is following the Google "anti-diversity" thing that's going on, but it's pretty interesting. One software engineer explained why there was a gender wage gap at big tech companies. He essentially pointed out that on average, men are better engineers than women (but that doesn't mean that an individual woman couldn't be the best engineer out there, this is simply an average). And he said what he said because it happened to be right (hat top to G7). Google being left-leaning lost their shit over it.

Pretty good recap of the situation in this article (beware: somewhat long and drawn out and definitely nerdy):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...e-cause-of-the-gender-disparity/#77966d472b41

Reactions: tarheel0910
Forgot about this thread. Check out my work from last week.

538 tweeted an article about how white democrats and black democrats hold different views on abortion. They capitalized the first word in their tweet -- "White" -- because that's how sentences work in English. Then somebody got mad because a) "black" wasn't capitalized and b) she claimed these two words always got different treatment when describing a group of people. Needless to say, she didn't appreciate my correction:

FIFY

(Not to contend that Google isn't left-leaning, but I don't think that's why they fired the guy.)
They fired him? Easy case for wrongful termination if they did. That's why I never tell my boss that I disagree with them when they ask for my opinion. They don't actually want your opinion, they just want someone to tell them that they are right.

Forgot about this thread. Check out my work from last week.

538 tweeted an article about how white democrats and black democrats hold different views on abortion. They capitalized the first word in their tweet -- "White" -- because that's how sentences work in English. Then somebody got mad because a) "black" wasn't capitalized and b) she claimed these two words always got different treatment when describing a group of people. Needless to say, she didn't appreciate my correction:

I was a history minor. When writing historical documents/textbooks/thesis/et al, the proper term to use is "blacks" not African-Americans (the latter of which is an incredibly dumb and, more importantly, inaccurate term but I digress) and it never fails that you'll have someone be like "woah, woah, *blacks*?! Wow. Uhmm.. that's pretty racist."

Stupidity is rampant across the populace.

Last edited:
Sorta related to the "African-American" part of my last poast and going with the overly sensitive people theme: it makes me LOL when people who are three or four generations American will get offended if someone makes a joke about their "homeland." Like you'll see a joke, whether it be on Family Guy or just a joke somebody tells in person where let's say the punch line is making fun of Italians or Italy.

It never fails, someone in the group who was born in America, whose dad was born in America, whose grandad was born in America, but maybe his great-grandad immigrated over from Sicily, will be like "Uhm, that's kinda offensive because I'm Italian."

No, you're not. You're American. You may as well say you're Middle Eastern too since you're descended from Adam and Eve, going by that logic.

They fired him? Easy case for wrongful termination if they did. That's why I never tell my boss that I disagree with them when they ask for my opinion. They don't actually want your opinion, they just want someone to tell them that they are right.

Yes, they fired him - and he has said he'll be seeking legal action. Google is somewhat famous from a corporate culture perspective in that they invite their employees to openly critique the styles/ideas/etc. of management and their products/services. Which makes it all the worse that they fired him over this.

Nothing he said was incorrect. He used mostly facts proven by scientists (basically that men on average have more analytical minds and either enjoy stress or aren't as negatively impacted by it as women, who themselves are more emotionally minded on average and tend to avoid stress when possible). Since software engineering is both an analytical and high stress field - logic would follow that you'd find more men in the field. Google is taking steps to make it easier for women software engineers to get jobs there (essentially affirmative action). And this guy was questioning whether that policy made sense since it was trying to fight against the underlying science.

Why so many people were offended by that, when all he did was use facts, is beyond me. I acknowledge that Google was somewhat bending to the public pressure to take action here, but I have to believe that a) the public pressure wouldn't have been there if this were an emotionally based field and a woman wrote about how women are genetically better suited to it than men, and b) even if there was public pressure, I don't think Google would have succumbed to it if it were in the reverse.

it never fails that you'll have someone be like "woah, woah, *blacks*?! Wow. Uhmm.. that's pretty racist."

Sorta related to the "African-American" part of my last poast and going with the overly sensitive people theme: it makes me LOL when people who are three or four generations American will get offended if someone makes a joke about their "homeland." Like you'll see a joke, whether it be on Family Guy or just a joke somebody tells in person where let's say the punch line is making fun of Italians or Italy.

It never fails, someone in the group who was born in America, whose dad was born in America, whose grandad was born in America, but maybe his great-grandad immigrated over from Sicily, will be like "Uhm, that's kinda offensive because I'm Italian."

The strive and desire to be offended.... all the rage these days.

I was a history minor. When writing historical documents/textbooks/thesis/et al, the proper term to use is "blacks" not African-Americans (which is an incredibly dumb and, more importantly, inaccurate term but I digress) and it never fails that you'll have someone be like "woah, woah, *blacks*?! Wow. Uhmm.. that's pretty racist."

The term African-American became big in the early 90s. Up until that point in my lifetime, black people were black people. Then everybody and everything tried to tell me that I should be calling them African-Americans. Afrocentrism became trendy in this time period. Rap was going gangsta and there were several groups that didn't want to go that route (Tribe, Black Sheep, De La, X-Clan, P.E.). So they went afrocentric (or as some called it, political rap or conscious rap). That movement took off. I remember, as a white boy in a 50/50 school with plenty of black and white friends, being curious about the afrocentric movement. It was interesting and being younger, I'm sure I was more liberally minded then. Black kids were dressing differently, cutting their hair differently, speaking differently. Remember these?
f99ab67e028505e458b6e2367f285441.jpg

Every black kid at my school in 10th grade had one of those hanging around their neck.

And then as quickly as it came, it left. That style of rap lost the battle to gangsta rap and died out. Dre's chronic album was the beginning of the end for the afrocentric movement in hip hop. We continued using the term African-American for a while but then it changed to "people of color". Is that still what the sensitive types prefer or is there a new label I'm unaware of?

The term African-American became big in the early 90s. Up until that point in my lifetime, black people were black people. Then everybody and everything tried to tell me that I should be calling them African-Americans. Afrocentrism became trendy in this time period. Rap was going gangsta and there were several groups that didn't want to go that route (Tribe, Black Sheep, De La, X-Clan, P.E.). So they went afrocentric (or as some called it, political rap or conscious rap). That movement took off. I remember, as a white boy in a 50/50 school with plenty of black and white friends, being curious about the afrocentric movement. It was interesting and being younger, I'm sure I was more liberally minded then. Black kids were dressing differently, cutting their hair differently, speaking differently. Remember these?
f99ab67e028505e458b6e2367f285441.jpg

Every black kid at my school in 10th grade had one of those hanging around their neck.

And then as quickly as it came, it left. That style of rap lost the battle to gangsta rap and died out. Dre's chronic album was the beginning of the end for the afrocentric movement in hip hop. We continued using the term African-American for a while but then it changed to "people of color". Is that still what the sensitive types prefer or is there a new label I'm unaware of?
No, they still prefer African-American or "minorities."

But either way, when a group claims they care about the rights of "minorities," they just mean they care about the rights of black people. They couldn't give less of a shit about Latinos, even though Latinos are a bigger minority class in the nation than black people. You'd never know it.

I was a history minor. When writing historical documents/textbooks/thesis/et al, the proper term to use is "blacks" not African-Americans (the latter of which is an incredibly dumb and, more importantly, inaccurate term but I digress) and it never fails that you'll have someone be like "woah, woah, *blacks*?! Wow. Uhmm.. that's pretty racist."

Right, and as a Latin American Studies major (shut up) I'm equally perplexed by people who refer to all Latinos as Mexican.

@UNC71-00 hipped me to a better descriptor: Amigos. It's probably mildly racist, but in a friendly way.

No, they still prefer African-American or "minorities."

But either way, when a group claims they care about the rights of "minorities," they just mean they care about the rights of black people. They couldn't give less of a shit about Latinos, even though Latinos are a bigger minority class in the nation than black people. You'd never know it.

"Minorities" is used incorrectly all time. Instead of actually meaning someone in a minority subset of a given population, it really refers to "non-white". Police/media in LA frequently refer to "minorities" and include Hispanics/Latinos in there, while not including whites. Maybe they haven't realized, but Latinos make up 48% of the LA population, non-Hispanic white 29%, black and Asian about 10% each. By definition, whites are a "minority".

The strive and desire to be offended.... all the rage these days.
The screen shot I didn't include in my tweet above was the one where she completely avoided admitting she was wrong, and instead focused on my characterization that she was "complaining." She went on to tell me that I was butting in on a private conversation and hashtagged me: #manners

My response was that Twitter was a public forum. To your point, I told her that if she spent her time on Twitter looking for reasons to be offended, she was going to be offended a lot. That's when she blocked me, hahaha.

Ya, weird. I can't get it to work now either. It was in support of the memo writer, so maybe there was a lot of backlash and Forbes took a page out of Google's book and tried to erase the problem.
That's probably what happened. Guess we will be reading a story about how Forbes fired an employee for supporting the memo. I tried to pull it up myself with no luck, but I did find out that if you search the link on google you and @Raising Heel come up in the image results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=htt...WnxFQKHfN3C98Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1338&bih=648&dpr=1

"Minorities" is used incorrectly all time. Instead of actually meaning someone in a minority subset of a given population, it really refers to "non-white". Police/media in LA frequently refer to "minorities" and include Hispanics/Latinos in there, while not including whites. Maybe they haven't realized, but Latinos make up 48% of the LA population, non-Hispanic white 29%, black and Asian about 10% each. By definition, whites are a "minority".
Latinos are the majority in three U.S. states. I always forget the third one, but the first two are California and Texas.

Ah okay, that makes sense why I couldn't remember it then. New Mexico is kind of a special case. A lot of people who live there are multi-generational New Mexicans and identify as "Latino" but are actually white, or some such thing.
Just call them Mexicans instead of Latino. That's what they all are anyway.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
That's probably what happened. Guess we will be reading a story about how Forbes fired an employee for supporting the memo. I tried to pull it up myself with no luck, but I did find out that if you search the link on google you and @Raising Heel come up in the image results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...e-cause-of-the-gender-disparity/#77966d472b41&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK_-3YpMjVAhWnxFQKHfN3C98Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1338&bih=648&dpr=1

Well... it's been nice knowing you guys. I expect the PC police to show up at my door tonight to "off" me. Give my "GFYs" to all the regulars.

Right, and as a Latin American Studies major (shut up) I'm equally perplexed by people who refer to all Latinos as Mexican.

@UNC71-00 hipped me to a better descriptor: Amigos. It's probably mildly racist, but in a friendly way.

How in the heck is calling someone a friend in their native language racist?

There are many offensive racist terms for Latinos but amigo ain't one of them

Umm, I guess I'm gonna be the OOTB pariah here and say that one's kinda legit. I mean you could just have 'em all be golden, since that's the color of the cereal, after all. Or if you really think your cereal box corn pop people need some diversity, sprinkle in a few different shades. But you're gonna have one single character on the whole box that's not the same color, and it's brown and it's the janitor? That does seem like it almost had to be deliberate.

DM6Wq0wWkAAPoqV.jpg

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Umm, I guess I'm gonna be the OOTB pariah here and say that one's kinda legit. I mean you could just have 'em all be golden, since that's the color of the cereal, after all. Or if you really think your cereal box corn pop people need some diversity, sprinkle in a few different shades. But you're gonna have one single character on the whole box that's not the same color, and it's brown and it's the janitor? That does seem like it almost had to be deliberate.

DM6Wq0wWkAAPoqV.jpg
It's a corn pop. It's not teaching anyone to be racist. The real story should be he's the only one working. Why would someone be mad they gave the guy a job? Let me know when they put a poncho and sombrero on it.

It's a corn pop. It's not teaching anyone to be racist. The real story should be he's the only one working. Why would someone be mad they gave the guy a job? Let me know when they put a poncho and sombrero on it.
Gotta agree with @tarheel0910. I find it laughable someone who writes about such a badass subject matter (super heroes) is such a pussy IRL.

But you're gonna have one single character on the whole box that's not the same color, and it's brown and it's the janitor? That does seem like it almost had to be deliberate.

I do agree that it seems deliberate in this instance. Kind of tough to say it's a coincidence when there's only one different colored pop in the whole picture.

The part that I don't get is how people can be offended by that. Are those that are offended saying that a janitor isn't a good profession, and it's insulting to be called one? How offended would janitors be about that?

Also, I don't think you should be able to be offended by something factual (or well, I should say you can be offended by whatever the hell you want, but you shouldn't be agreed with or able to have anything done about it if it's factual). The majority of NBA players are black. The majority of nurses are women. Are there white NBA players and male nurses? Sure - but they're in the minority, so if we were depicting an NBA player I would expect them to be black, and female for a nurse. I'm not sure on the stats on janitors, but if the majority are brown, I feel like this depiction is factual and thus not offensive.

** Sort of a "you had to be there" moment, but as I was typing out this poast - the janitor/cleaning crew for my office just rolled through.... speaking Spanish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT