ADVERTISEMENT

Payton's eyes seem wide open

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Fedora screwing the Hell out of the start of the season most certainly did not help anything with any recruit. And if Fedora had not been forced to play Elliott, we'd still have only 1 W.

That is not because of Fedora not having time to recruit, nor is is due to all the injuries. Even with all the injuries, we might have beaten Miami if Brown had not fumbled.

Fedora as HC screwed the Hell out of the start of the season. He will be lucky if he gets out of it without losing a single recruit.

Miami near-win was mostly due to trick-plays, I credit Fed more for that one more than the off-the-back-foot 40+ % gm by Elliot. One could argue that the two halves by surratt and Harris vs Louisville were better than any half Elliot has played. I don't blame Fed for struggling to find a decent QB. None have proven to be ideal.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
PS, woad thanks for trying to make this about how awful fed is with quarterbacks rather than a thread about Payton or recruiting or linebacker depth or coach Eck, etc.

I don't want to block your posts, but sometimes I wish I could restrict users from specific threads. Not trying to hurt your feelings, but sometimes you are a thread killer.

Last edited:
Somebody needs to show Payton the before and after stats of Cayson Collins in his early yrs to his senior yr. Ekeler is a good coach.

Recruits, like fans, are normal to have concerns about the long term direction of the program. Hard to sell the opportunity to maybe be .500 most seasons at UNC vs going to play for titles at Clemson for example.

Reassuring himself means he's open to going elsewhere. So much stuff says "i'm wide open". Hard to compete with Clemson, Ohio St, Notre. At least he's not listing VT, but going to NCSU would be a smack.

https://247sports.com/Article/Army-...ame-Ohio-State-Clemson-and-NC-State-110528129

http://www.highschoolot.com/football/video/17116537/

fingers crossed, but Ekeler and Pap better be hitting the recruiting trail hard for LBs unless Kayne, Sutton, Lawler, etc move to LB.

Doesn't sound good. Says location was the big reason to choose UNC but that he's "matured more."

Not liking where this is heading. Fedora and company needs to do something to convince him that UNC is the place to be.

Hate to say this, but we cannot compete with schools like ND, Ohio State and Clemson. If he were my son, I would say forget about proximity to home, and focus on the best place to develop skills and prepare for the NFL. We are not a destination school for such high profile players. Period.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Hate to say this, but we cannot compete with schools like ND, Ohio State and Clemson. If he were my son, I would say forget about proximity to home, and focus on the best place to develop skills and prepare for the NFL. We are not a destination school for such high profile players. Period.
I agree with the first part, but I'm not sure if your second sentence totally relates. Development requires playing time. A guy him is almost guaranteed playing time here. At the other schools it isn't it.

And on the developing skills and prepare for NFL part, Coach Ek seems like a good one. I think he's put some lbs from UGA into the pros.

Nazair was a high pick, MJ is about to be a high pick. Shakeel Rashad is still in the pros, we have tons of defensive backs still in the pros. There is tons of evidence that guys can come to unc, develop skills and be high draft picks with great careers.

If I saw my son hurt his knee in HS, i'd say choose the school that is best for you as a student-athlete first, a sports-enthuist second. If fball is the only thing important in your life, then I get going to a place with tradition, awesome gameday and track record of great bowl games. But if life-success is important, then I say go to a place where you can get solid playing time, while earning a degree and getting a well-rounded education.

If you're good enough to play in the NFL, you'll get there from UNC. That's been a constant for 30 years.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Yep, UNC is fine for putting guys in the pros and developing players. We just need the whole team to develop off this disappointing season.

Heck, we just had a guy go number 2 in the NFL draft.

Clemson is NOT the danger here. It's a school much closer to home and then much further to the North.
Are u suggesting The Ohio State?? From what I’ve seen of his videos I personally don’t see him seeing the field as a Buckeye other then maybe Special Teams

He won't start next year. He just had ACL surgery.

True, but with two junior LBs graduating next year, and Collins graduating this year, I would think he would lock up a spot in 2019 after taking a redshirt year to recover and develop.

We need a couple of strong LBs and hopefully Dax and Payton are the ones. It's been a problem position for several years now. Just can't get the right combination of speed, strength, aggression and knowledge. Anybody know what kind of speed these 2 have?

Hudl page / profile for each list 4.7+ 40 times, but good shuttle times. So I'm guessing more quick than fast.

With the problems our LBs had covering backs early in the season I'm hoping we pick up at least one really fast LB. Thanks blazers

With the problems our LBs had covering backs early in the season I'm hoping we pick up at least one really fast LB. Thanks blazers
This says payton was 4.82 - https://www.theopening.com/2017-charlotte-results

but other things have mentioned 4.6, but the nike instruments are pretty darn accurate.

I recall seeing that in one of the other camps that Dax 40 time was superslow, but people said everyone's times were kinda slow.

Supposedly both guys have great anticipation though...

That's a little concerning. 4.8+ 40 times are not that great for LBs is it? Anticipation will help but sounds like they might have a difficult time guarding backs or containing the edge.

That's a little concerning. 4.8+ 40 times are not that great for LBs is it? Anticipation will help but sounds like they might have a difficult time guarding backs or containing the edge.
yeah, it's not fast for an LB, on the slower side. Guys get faster... maybe he was having a bad day. Also didn't jump very high:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/4170892/payton-wilson

But it's interesting to see other highly ranked LBs have numbers that are surprising, and things always change in pads & cleats both ways.

Looking thru the previous yrs, Lawler was even slower 4.97 (but also had a quick shuttle). Shuttle, motor and instincts are all huge the closer you are to the ball, but there was talk about Lawler maybe playing LB, and if he isn't speedy over distance, then perhaps OLB isn't ideal.

The difference between laser timing and a stopwatch is huge. A guy who runs a 4.6 on a watch might actually only be running a 4.8.

And you definitely get faster/more explosive as you develop your musculature.

The difference between laser timing and a stopwatch is huge. A guy who runs a 4.6 on a watch might actually only be running a 4.8.

And you definitely get faster/more explosive as you develop your musculature.
yeah, that nike stuff is laser timed.

yeah, that nike stuff is laser timed.

And that's relatively new technology thats only become prevalent at the high school level in the last decade or so. So people's ideas of how fast you need to be at a particular position tend to be based on the more traditional watch times which inflated the speed of athletes. Especially when you account for the bias of coaches who want to see certain guys run better times.

Yep, UNC is fine for putting guys in the pros and developing players. We just need the whole team to develop off this disappointing season.

Heck, we just had a guy go number 2 in the NFL draft.
Your third sentence may not lead people to think what you hope. Certainly when the recruit/parents/ HS coaches know how very little PT Trubisky got - and the first 2 years Trubisky sat, we were a .500 team, with an offense that was inconsistent; with an up and down, inconsistent Marquise Williams who was good at racking up some stats for himself and little else.

Fedora is a big talker. He sells himself well to many people. His successes seem to come from selling his vision to players, and then going full steam ahead, with seemingly little or no introspection, through ups and downs until everything falls into place for 1 Magic Season.

If he begins to falter in swaying the players he most wants and needs to sign up with him, Fedora may find that Magic Season nigh impossible, leaving only the barely above .500 stretches.

I guarantee that Wilson has had all that laid out for him by recruiters for other schools. And I guarantee that Wilson would not want the Trubisky plan: virtually 0 PT for 3 years, sitting behind a guy with 0 chance to play that position in the NFL.

Of course, as he is not a QB, or even on offense, it is less likely to happen to him. Fedora's weird obsessions seem to be centered all on offense, and especially QB.

Reactions: Xlance
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT