ADVERTISEMENT

Payton's eyes seem wide open

Your third sentence may not lead people to think what you hope. Certainly when the recruit/parents/ HS coaches know how very little PT Trubisky got - and the first 2 years Trubisky sat, we were a .500 team, with an offense that was inconsistent; with an up and down, inconsistent Marquise Williams who was good at racking up some stats for himself and little else.

Fedora is a big talker. He sells himself well to many people. His successes seem to come from selling his vision to players, and then going full steam ahead, with seemingly little or no introspection, through ups and downs until everything falls into place for 1 Magic Season.

If he begins to falter in swaying the players he most wants and needs to sign up with him, Fedora may find that Magic Season nigh impossible, leaving only the barely above .500 stretches.

I guarantee that Wilson has had all that laid out for him by recruiters for other schools. And I guarantee that Wilson would not want the Trubisky plan: virtually 0 PT for 3 years, sitting behind a guy with 0 chance to play that position in the NFL.

Of course, as he is not a QB, or even on offense, it is less likely to happen to him. Fedora's weird obsessions seem to be centered all on offense, and especially QB.

Mitch saw the field and didn't look so ready those years you are talking about except Quise's senior year, which was extremely impressive and much more so than Mitch's year he started. I love the guy but he laid a bunch of eggs.

So can't fault Fedora for starting Quise. Maybe had Mitch taken us to the ACC title game instead of the team flaming out, we could consider that, though can't just fault the QB.

I did beg at the TV for Fedora to put Mitch in the 1st half against Clemson as Quise was not his normal self and frankly thought he needed to sit a little. Perhaps those uncalled helmet to helmet cheap hits from NC State were still affecting him but he and the offense came alive and perhaps minus a horrendous call would have beaten Clemson.

It’s official. He has decommitted as of today with no plan to give us another visit. He has return visits to Ohio State and Clemson.

The effects of Fedora and the shitty trajectory of this program continue.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
If we can't keep an in-state 4* player, then there must be something seriously wrong with our program which must be fixed very soon by the athletic director. And that means finding a new, higher profile coach with an understanding of both offense and defense, and with a solid and consistent track record. Fedora is not what we need. UNC needs more, and should expect more of the football head coach.

Fedora will never, ever bring UNC football to the level of Clemson, Notre Dame and Miami. We CAN excel at both basketball and football -- like Miami, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Louisville, and USC -- but it takes a driven athletic director who will only accept excellence, and I am not sure that Bubba Cunningham has what it takes to bring excellence to all of the UNC athletic programs.

We need a serious culture change in the athletics department, and if Bubba won't bring excellence, then he must go. And obviously, Fedora must go, as he will NOT make UNC Football Great Again.

If we can't keep an in-state 4* player, then there must be something seriously wrong with our program which must be fixed very soon by the athletic director. And that means finding a new, higher profile coach with an understanding of both offense and defense, and with a solid and consistent track record. Fedora is not what we need. UNC needs more, and should expect more of the football head coach.

Fedora will never, ever bring UNC football to the level of Clemson, Notre Dame and Miami. We CAN excel at both basketball and football -- like Miami, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Louisville, and USC -- but it takes a driven athletic director who will only accept excellence, and I am not sure that Bubba Cunningham has what it takes to bring excellence to all of the UNC athletic programs.

We need a serious culture change in the athletics department, and if Bubba won't bring excellence, then he must go. And obviously, Fedora must go, as he will NOT make UNC Football Great Again.
Bubba is the real deal. We are lucky to have him. Fedora won 11 regular season games in 2015. Also, please remind me when UNC football was great. If you want to point a finger, point it at our terrible fan base and the $hitty support that we give our team on Saturdays. We have lost high profile, in-state recruits in the past and we are going to lose Wilson and Dax this year because our game day environment sucks! Until we create a half decent football environment we are going to lose top recruits.

If a product fails to sell, I will always blame the product, not the consumer. This is truth in business and in sports.

Under Mack Brown from 1990-1997, UNC was 67-26-1, and 3-2 in bowl games.

Yes, we can make UNC Football Great Again !!

It’s a two sided problem. The coaches need to do a better job of selling the football program and the school. The fans need to decide if they are serious about bigtime football and we need to buy season tix, come early to every game, scream your head off during the game and stay until the final whistle. Until both of these things happen at the same time, we are going to lose top recruits. Us, as fans, only have control of one of these things. We need to do our part.

If the athletic department, football coaches and football program deliver an excellent culture and product, the fans will follow and buy season tickets, come early to games, scream their heads off and stay until the final whistle. Again, create a category-killing product --think Apple -- and customers will be dedicated supporters.

It’s official. He has decommitted as of today with no plan to give us another visit. He has return visits to Ohio State and Clemson.

I have to agree and with no return visit that's the last straw.

I'm beginning to really question bubba myself.

I guess the thought of early playing time here wasn't enough. We really needed him and Dax.

I just hope this isn't a sign of possibile others jumping ship too.

Last edited:
If he doesn't recommit and usually they don't hopefully he doesn't end up at moou. This really pisses me off.

Time to find big safeties with speed that can convert to LBs during their red shirt year. Time to dig a little deeper into Ga for some of those players. By the way if you haven't notice, the UNC athletic program is consistently competing for national championships in a variety of sports. Football is the only sport that our school lack consistent success. The chickens and pound puppies have one thing in common; they support regardless of w/l record when it comes to their football team. our success in every other sport tends to bred a more apathetic crowd.

The chickens and pound puppies have one thing in common; they support regardless of w/l record when it comes to their football team. our success in every other sport tends to bred a more apathetic crowd.

Carter looks pretty empty in down yrs. You sure about this?

It’s a two sided problem. The coaches need to do a better job of selling the football program and the school. The fans need to decide if they are serious about bigtime football and we need to buy season tix, come early to every game, scream your head off during the game and stay until the final whistle. Until both of these things happen at the same time, we are going to lose top recruits. Us, as fans, only have control of one of these things. We need to do our part.
Fans won't do that if they don not have a sense that the coach is one who can get the job done, consistently.

Fedora does not draw fans. The UNC fan base was more focused with Butch as coach, more optimistic for the future, than we were even on the heels of 11 Ws in 2015.

The UNC fan base was more focused with Butch as coach, more optimistic for the future, than we were even on the heels of 11 Ws in 2015.
Fanhood was changed during the scandal for two reasons the messed up firing of butch, and the bad optics of scandal itself. Take those 2 things away and fans would be more happy w feds 11 wins than any point of Butch's tenure.

So your sentence is correct but your conclusion is flawed.

Oh, you mean Payton didn't buy the "it's just injuries" excuse? What a surprise :rolleyes:

Fed's 11 win season was great. It would have been really great if we had won our first and last games that season but all in all it was a great year. If Fed could win 10 or 11 games most seasons with 7 or 8 wins being a down year - he would be golden. I think Fed's issue with fans is a lack of confidence. We don't seem very confident that he can win at a high rate most years. Maybe he's a 7 or 8 wins a year guy with an occasional 10 or 3 win season. The Coastal and the ACC in total are getting stronger - so we must get stronger just to stay where we are.

Defending UNC's football fanbase is a joke. The fans that actually do show up sit on their asses the entire game and don't make a damn sound. We have horrible football fans. They barely showed up even during 2015

If a product doesn't sell, never, ever blame the customers. It is the product which has failed to sell, and not the customers who have not bought the product. This is a truism in business and also in sports. Truth does not change, otherwise it would not be truth.

UNC has to hire and pay for an excellent football coach like they have in basketball with Roy Williams. Yes it will cost money, but if we can be excellent in basketball, we can be excellent in football. It just takes a commitment from the AD and the alumni to bring excellence to most sports at UNC. And if Bubba is not committed to excellence, or if he has lame excuses for not being committed to excellence, then we need to replace Bubba.

If a product doesn't sell, never, ever blame the customers. It is the product which has failed to sell, and not the customers who have not bought the product. This is a truism in business and also in sports. Truth does not change, otherwise it would not be truth.

UNC has to hire and pay for an excellent football coach like they have in basketball with Roy Williams. Yes it will cost money, but if we can be excellent in basketball, we can be excellent in football. It just takes a commitment from the AD and the alumni to bring excellence to most sports at UNC. And if Bubba is not committed to excellence, or if he has lame excuses for not being committed to excellence, then we need to replace Bubba.

Ithink your post is about fans, so my only counter is that the Dean Dome is a wine & cheese fanbase despite having a top-tier bball coach and being extremely successful yearly. I don't go to many games, but people still arrive late, leave early and are pretty tame unless the right opponent is in town.

There are reasons for every outcome (like seating arrangement of all the blue hairs), but my point is that an excellent coach and winning doesn't actually equate to the most rabid game-day environment.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
The big difference there IMO is the coaches. We have a Saba/Dabo type basketball coach. Not saying Fed is a bad coach but he's not in Roy's league. And we never had a Dean type coach to build the program. And at one time we had our pick of recruits but Roy's continued to succeed with good but not great talent over the last few years. Roy is extremely prepared and emphasizes every facet of the game. They are both stubborn though.

It's a nice goal to be consistently above average to elite in both basketball and football, and I agree that to reach that level in football would require the hiring of an elite coach like Roy. I'm just not sure if it's realistic. How many schools are really dominant in both sports? Florida was for a couple of years, but that didn't last. It seems like some schools are either "basketball" schools or "football" schools, and mostly average with a few above average seasons in the other sport. There are also a bunch of schools that are average in both sports.

I would love to see UNC become a football power, but I just don't think it will ever happen.

Fanhood was changed during the scandal for two reasons the messed up firing of butch, and the bad optics of scandal itself. Take those 2 things away and fans would be more happy w feds 11 wins than any point of Butch's tenure.

So your sentence is correct but your conclusion is flawed.
Even if so, that does not change what is now. And what is, is Fedora not exciting the fan base. For various reasons, and for most people a combination of them in various orders of importance, Fedora does not inspire confidence across the fan base.

The history of college football is filled with people able to capture lightning in a bottle once, or once per HC job, and then the rest of time are average or barely above average. An awful lot of UNC football fans have the sinking feeling that that is Fedora.

I am never going to be happy with 11-3, followed 2 years later with 3-9. They add up to mediocre. Factor in such key facts as the number of Fedora wins versus 1AA (FCS) teams and his 0 wins against P5 OOC teams with a winning record and his 0 wins against the SEC (even losing to the worst SoCar team in many years, a team, so bad the HC resigned in shame), and Fedora's 6 seasons at UNC are high mediocre.

That 11 win season did not include a single win over a team that finished the year ranked.

Even if so, that does not change what is now. And what is, is Fedora not exciting the fan base. For various reasons, and for most people a combination of them in various orders of importance, Fedora does not inspire confidence across the fan base.

For the people that are simply feeling burned by the scandal, nothing will undo their pain.
For the people that are feeling burned by the firing of Butch, nothing will undo their pain.
In other words, any coach wouldn't be good enough for these folks aside from Butch himself or Mack Brown.

The history of college football is filled with people able to capture lightning in a bottle once, or once per HC job, and then the rest of time are average or barely above average. An awful lot of UNC football fans have the sinking feeling that that is Fedora

Yep, that is why it is stoopid to fire someone who has potential to be the right guy, because EVERY hire is a gamble. There is a chance Fed turns it back in the right direction. Combine this yrs D with last yrs O and we'd easily be challenging for coastal. We'll know a lot more after (or during) 2018.

It's a nice goal to be consistently above average to elite in both basketball and football, and I agree that to reach that level in football would require the hiring of an elite coach like Roy. I'm just not sure if it's realistic. How many schools are really dominant in both sports? Florida was for a couple of years, but that didn't last. It seems like some schools are either "basketball" schools or "football" schools, and mostly average with a few above average seasons in the other sport. There are also a bunch of schools that are average in both sports.

I would love to see UNC become a football power, but I just don't think it will ever happen.
It can happen: with the right coach. Fedora is not that coach. Fedora at UNC probably can produce 9, certainly 8, bowl teams in 10 years, if he feasts on 1AA teams and low end D1 non-P5 teams like Old Dominion. But he is not the coach who is going to make UNC the kind of program that goes 9-3 in regular season back to back to back, as build up to a conference championship and playoff appearance.

Fedora is the type coach to give UNC 7-6 followed by 8-5 followed by 10-3 followed by 8-5 followed by 6-7 followed by 7-6.

Mediocre with one high point.

We need a really good coach who can bring UNC to an elite level on a consistent basis, AND who won't accept job offers from bigger "football" schools after the first sign of success. Like I said, I'm hopeful this will happen, but i just don't see it.

For the people that are simply feeling burned by the scandal, nothing will undo their pain.
For the people that are feeling burned by the firing of Butch, nothing will undo their pain.
In other words, any coach wouldn't be good enough for these folks aside from Butch himself or Mack Brown.

Yep, that is why it is stoopid to fire someone who has potential to be the right guy, because EVERY hire is a gamble. There is a chance Fed turns it back in the right direction. Combine this yrs D with last yrs O and we'd easily be challenging for coastal. We'll know a lot more after (or during) 2018.
Potential to be the right guy? That could apply even to Doeren and Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe also has won a Coastal

So what in 2018 will tell you one way or the other? If we are 5-7, what will you have learned? How about 6-7?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT