ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Panthers vs. Tar Heels game thread

been following Carolina football since 1972..THAT my friends was one of the greatest Carolina games this old fart has ever seen Switzer is other worldly ... and Mitch is a COOL customer

GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GDTBATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

The highlights from that last drive are gonna be getting played on ESPN all week

Reactions: Archer2
That finish had to produce an electric atmosphere and one memorable experience for both the football and basketball recruits in attendance.

speechless

still don't understand what the f pitt was doing throwing it

carolina made the plays to win and thank goodness for that

Great Googly Moogly! Incredible!

I may be off a play or number or detail here or there - so what? We WON!.......

Where to start?

Ok, The Fans. In the years to come those who left early will.........

A- If at all possible, lie about it and claim they were there til the end....and

B- Kick their own butts til the day they die for not staying.

So many heroes in this game.

1- Switzer. Dude caught 16 out of 17 balls tossed his way, and had 7 catches in our last 2 scoring drives, including a big 3rd down grab for important yards and 3 HUGE catches to keep our drives alive on 4th down plays. 208 yards and 1 TD receiving, and 1 beautiful punt return for TD stolen from him by a stupid penalty by his teammate. That's a Great Senior Leader for ya right there folks! I am gonna miss Switzer somethin' awful when he's gone.

2- Trubisky. Zero help from the running game. 35 of 46 for 453 yards, No Ints and FIVE TDs. Never gave up, made some great throws and showed true leadership. Tremendous job getting guys set and making a perfect throw to Howard for the win after Fed's stupid run call. Kudos Mitch.

3- Bug Howard. Bug was interfered with on almost every route he ran by the short bastage from Pitt. Still managed to make a big catch for long yards to set up the winning TD, and a great Grab for the win despite short bastage wrapping him up. Also caught the previous TD pitch to get us within 6, AGAIN being wrapped up by short bastage. Another Great Senior Leader there folks!

4- The Defense. After playing revolving door D for 3 quarters and change, they bowed up and got 2 Massive 3 and outs to give Mitch and Company a real shot at winning this game.

5- Proehl. 7 catches for 99 yards and a TD. 4 catches on our 2 last scoring drives including a great route and grab for 13 yards and a 1st down on our 3rd 4th down play of the quarter.

My Pops and I watched to whole game, and later admitted we were both pretty down when the Pitt RB ripped off the long run that eventually lead to Pitts final score and stretched it to a 13 point lead, and then the Good Guys went 3 and out and kicked it back to Pitt with only 9:10 left to play.

But we hung in there, and MAN were we Glad we did! We were both just watching in amazement as time after time our Tar Heels stepped up big when the chips were down, and went on to pull off one of the greatest comeback wins in UNC Football history!

I was recording it and so after we told Mom the great news, Dad and I went back and watched the final 9:10 off the game and STILL it got our hearts racing! What a Win!

Go Heels! Go Heels! Go Heels! :D

Speculation- on the drive in the 4th quarter when we punted with 9 min left, there was a perfectly set up screen to Switz and Mack barely pretended to block and if he had blocked, Switz may have scored. He didnt see the field again after that play.
on switzer's punt return touchdown the holding by Ratliff-Williams was a blatant take down that gets called every time (as the announcer pointed out). i get the impression that some of our players aren't very motivated to help switzer add to his great legacy.

Didn't post during the game because things weren't going our way and I could see people were jumping off the ledge. Even an optimist like me has to admit to being very worried when we had to kick off to Pitt down by 13 with a little over 9 minutes to play. Finally the defense bowed up and got a couple of 3 and outs. Our offense took over from there.

Mitch and Switz were incredible, no other way to describe their performance. Proehl had his coming out party and Bug made an unbelievable catch with the defender draped all over him for the win. Converting 3 crucial 4th downs on the last drive as time was waning? I will never forget that as long as I live. My friends were laughing at me because I couldn't sit still, I paced the whole 4th quarter.

I think this can be a real springboard game for this team. If the defense can play even mediocre then we can win our division. But I didn't expect VT to crush EZU and I certainly didn't expect dook to win in South Bend. Plus we have to go to Tallahassee and Coral Gables. So it's not going to be easy.

Is anyone showing a replay?

on switzer's punt return touchdown the holding by Ratliff-Williams was a blatant take down that gets called every time (as the announcer pointed out). i get the impression that some of our players aren't very motivated to help switzer add to his great legacy.

The take down was by the O line that he tried to block.

thanks RH.... I forgot about that site; watching the last 10 minutes now!
Much easier on the 'ol ticker when watching the replay...

We converted FOUR 4th downs in those last two drives... three to Switz and one to Proehl. UNBELIEVABLE!

I (sorta) understand the run call on 2nd and goal; hoping to catch Pitt loaded up for the pass, but dayum that just about cost us the game. And, that last kickoff return had me nervous; dude almost broke it.

I sure hope this win can propel us into a big game next week. GO HEELS!

I was at the game and didn't see the Ratliff-Williams hold because I was too focused on Switzer. I know there was more than 1 flag thrown so 2 officials saw it. My son and another guy with us both said Hollins was hurt. I have only left one game early in my life and that was that terrible State game a few years ago when we didn't show.

...I (sorta) understand the run call on 2nd and goal; hoping to catch Pitt loaded up for the pass...
pitt's run defense was incredible yesterday. our rushing offense is pretty good but pitt's defensive line was an immovable object.

Yeah they shut down our two big guys, which I didn't think would happen. Glad we found a way to get the W.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Pitt, but I don't think we ever really gave the running game a chance. In other words, the play calling was the same as most games.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Pitt, but I don't think we ever really gave the running game a chance. In other words, the play calling was the same as most games.
The running game was going no where. 1st possession of 2nd half Hood run for -1 , 2nd play Hood run for 1 , 3rd play Mitch misfired to receiver. Punt and Pitt drives right down the field for score and we were behind the 8 ball until the furious rally in the last 7 minutes. I know a lot of people are calling for the run but even in the JMU game we had several runs stuffed.

Reactions: UNC71-00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT