ADVERTISEMENT

Power Rankings: North Carolina edges Kentucky, Kansas in off-season

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
This has to be the year folks. No excuses. The Heels get both Kentucky and Maryland at home in the pre-ACC season. Please, none of this talk about "they will be ready by ACC play and I rather they lose now". Roy is not Izzo. Need to go undefeated going into ACC play...period, set match. Barring a major injury to a key player, no excuses. Must secure a #1 seed.

This team lost to many games last year to say they will be undefeated by acc play. I want them hitting their stride by tourney time. Its possible, but not probable.

Reactions: Tru Blu Tar Heel
This team lost to many games last year to say they will be undefeated by acc play. I want them hitting their stride by tourney time. Its possible, but not probable.
Not saying they will "actually" go undefeated before they go into the ACC schedule. I'm saying they "should" go undefeated going into the ACC schedule and anything less (barring an injury to a key player) is unacceptable to me. Time to step up and back up this ranking.

On paper I agree. They should be able to. How many Roy lead teams have made it to acc play undefeated

You actually said they "need" to be undefeated going into ACC play...and that's ridiculous.

Teams lose guys. Teams get hot from 3, foul trouble, etc.. It happens and it is not a huge deal. They need to peak come mid-March. Bottom line. That's how it happened in 05, 09, 12 (before Butter's injury). That's how you win titles.

Steat,a article in my local paper was talking about how UK is playing @ Kansas. It listed how tough their OOC schedule was going to be. It didn't have UNC on their schedule.... Are you sure we're playing UK this year?

I don’t think anyone would care if we lost 10 games next year, as long as we end the season cutting down the nets for the national championship. However, I don’t see a realistic scenario in which the Heels lose 10 games and then proceed to win the whole thing. While we don’t need to be undefeated going into conference play, I think it’s pretty important that we stay in the top 10 for the whole year next year. Not because I enjoy saying “we’re ranked in the top 10” in January, but because dropping out of the top 10 would most likely insinuate that we had lost a few games that we shouldn’t have, which isn’t a good sign of a potential championship contender. Also, a top 2 seed would really benefit the Heels, which you’re not getting ranked outside the top 10.

Reactions: Heel Gyeah
UNC asked to take this year off from the UK series. uncfan in ky is correct. The series will be started again in the CBS OOC tournament and then home and home will resume the following year.

As of today. UK's OOC schedule is;

vs. Duke in Chicago
@ South Florida
vs. UCLA in L.A.
Arizona St.
vs. Ohio St. in Brooklyn
Louisville
@ Kansas

Last edited:
Wonder why we would take a year off. This would be a good matchup for us with both teams so highly ranked.

After doing some digging... Neither UNC or UK asked to take a year off.. The series was renewed two years ago on a 2 year deal. Since we're both playing in the cbs deal no new contract has been agreed to... Yet.

Reactions: clamdyp
"Asked to take the year off":...hahaha. GTFOH.
It's neither here or there, but there was an audio clip a couple of months ago that Roy said it himself. It's not a diss to either school as the series will be back after the CBS Sports Classic game next year.

The only link I can find that confirms it is Cal's call in show that aired on 12.15.14

http://www.ukathletics.com/collegesportslive/

Last edited:
Not that it's a big deal but I think you're wrong. Cal & UK before the 2012-13 season asked UNC to take a year off to off schedule the UNC & UL games. UK wanted to make sure that at least one of those games was a UK home game every game & UNC agreed.
After the game this year the series contract ended & since we play the year after this upcoming season anyway,no new contacts have been drawn up.
Big difference from UNC asking not to play this year.... I believe throughout the UNC-UK series UK has ended the series 2 or 3 different times.

They stopped it because we are both in that legends thing which makes up play every 3 years or so alrdy.

Not that it's a big deal but I think you're wrong. Cal & UK before the 2012-13 season asked UNC to take a year off to off schedule the UNC & UL games. UK wanted to make sure that at least one of those games was a UK home game every game & UNC agreed.
After the game this year the series contract ended & since we play the year after this upcoming season anyway,no new contacts have been drawn up.
Big difference from UNC asking not to play this year.... I believe throughout the UNC-UK series UK has ended the series 2 or 3 different times.
No one has actually "ended the series", as they continue to play each other yearly. It's out there that Roy asked to skip a season. There's nothing wrong with it. It happens due to scheduling conflicts. I'm not sure why the defensiveness. UNC and UK will pick back the series after the CBS Sports Classic and the first game will be at the Dean Dome.

No one has actually "ended the series", as they continue to play each other yearly. It's out there that Roy asked to skip a season. There's nothing wrong with it. It happens due to scheduling conflicts. I'm not sure why the defensiveness. UNC and UK will pick back the series after the CBS Sports Classic and the first game will be at the Dean Dome.

Well now it's out there that Cal asked to take a season off. It's out there because I just put it out there. Now we're even.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I'm not sure why the defensiveness.
Maybe because you only have four posts, with the first one (and three of the four) being on this thread?

Maybe because of your screen name?

Maybe because you came on here claiming Roy said it, with your evidence being a link to nothing of substance?

Maybe because if the link actually worked, it's probably just Cal on his radio show claiming that Roy said it?

Feel free to pick any one of those. Then GTFOH.

who cares about going undefeated before ACC play? unless the team sets that as a i goal, i sure don't. sounds like you are just setting up something to gripe about or be disappointed about. another no-win situation post. if they do it, they are supposed to and get no credit. if they don't they are a disappointment and the mid-season baby crying starts. Go Heels.

Lol who gives a you know what if we go into acc play undefeated. If someone told me we'll win the title but first we have to lose to ECU by 30 at the Dean Dome ill take that all day

Theres only 8 wins i truly hope for every year: Dook twice and the 6 games you need to win in the tournament

who cares about going undefeated before ACC play? unless the team sets that as a i goal, i sure don't. sounds like you are just setting up something to gripe about or be disappointed about. another no-win situation post. if they do it, they are supposed to and get no credit. if they don't they are a disappointment and the mid-season baby crying starts. Go Heels.
I do. Means we won a ton of games. Likely are getting a high seed. Raises ACC RPI.

Anyone saying they don't care about winning games is an idiot personally. I hope we win every single game. I care about it. If we don't, I am okay with it. But, I care about it.

UNC asked to take this year off from the UK series. uncfan in ky is correct. The series will be started again in the CBS OOC tournament and then home and home will resume the following year.

As of today. UK's OOC schedule is;

vs. Duke in Chicago
@ South Florida
vs. UCLA in L.A.
Arizona St.
vs. Ohio St. in Brooklyn
Louisville
@ Kansas

Wow, on so many levels.
"UNC asked"...MmmHmmm sure thing...as Raising Heel mentions, go the heck on...I'm sure the AD would be interested in the newly discovered fact that HC Roy Williams makes UNC Men's basketball schedule...o_O

I do. Means we won a ton of games. Likely are getting a high seed. Raises ACC RPI.

Anyone saying they don't care about winning games is an idiot personally. I hope we win every single game. I care about it. If we don't, I am okay with it. But, I care about it.[/QUOT

i said who cares about going undefeated, and you expressed instead your volunteered homegrown expertise on idiocy - i.e. that anyone who does not care about winning is an idiot. since i was speaking about going undefeated, and that is a very different thing from winning games, i don't see why you quoted my post. there is no connection one to the other. maybe you should change your screen name to imanonsequitor?
it is also nice to know that you and steat are the same State fan. thx:D

You actually said they "need" to be undefeated going into ACC play...and that's ridiculous.

Teams lose guys. Teams get hot from 3, foul trouble, etc.. It happens and it is not a huge deal. They need to peak come mid-March. Bottom line. That's how it happened in 05, 09, 12 (before Butter's injury). That's how you win titles.
Yep, if the Heels want to have a better chance of securing a #1 seed and than the chances of them getting one increases significantly if they go undefeated in the pre- ACC season.

That's one of the oldest cliches "Peaking in March". Every team would like to do that. Which do you like better? UNC with a #1 seed and only 2-3 losses or a UNC team with 8 losses but have a 8 game winning streak going into the Dance with a #3 seed? Other than Tom Izzo, I would think most people would take a UNC team with 2-3 losses and a #1 seed.Going undefeated in the pre-ACC season could go a long way towards helping UNC secure a #1 seed and that was the basis of my comments. The Heels have proven that they cannot duplicate the success of Izzo by loosing a lot of regular season games and than improving significantly during the NCAA tournament. There may be too many teams for the Heels to jump over to get the number #1 seed if they lose games early in the season. This is the year I'm not excepting excuses unless there is a significant injury to a key player. Anything less than a Final Four will be considered a failure in my book. The chances of winning the NCAA title increases significantly with a #1 seed. Stats will tell you that. Win all the pre-ACC season games and the Heels hit the ACC schedule as the #1 team in the country with momentum. Thus, when the Heels lose an ACC game they will not drop that far in the polls because the chances are they will still have a better record than other top teams. A good example of this was Duke's team last year. Ridiculous to expect the #1 team to go undefeated in the pre-season? Not in my eyes....not next season coming in ranked #1 in the country. Time to step up..

Last edited:
Yep, if the Heels want to have a better chance of securing a #1 seed and than the chances of them getting one increases significantly if they go undefeated in the pre- ACC season.

That's one of the oldest cliches "Peaking in March". Every team would like to do that. Which do you like better? UNC with a #1 seed and only 2-3 losses or a UNC team with 8 losses but have a 8 game winning streak going into the Dance with a #3 seed? Other than Tom Izzo, I would think most people would take a UNC team with 2-3 losses and a #1 seed.Going undefeated in the pre-ACC season could go a long way towards helping UNC secure a #1 seed and that was the basis of my comments. The Heels have proven that they cannot duplicate the success of Izzo by loosing a lot of regular season games and than improving significantly during the NCAA tournament. There may be too many teams for the Heels to jump over to get the number #1 seed if they lose games early in the season. This is the year I'm not excepting excuses unless there is a significant injury to a key player. Anything less than a Final Four will be considered a failure in my book. The chances of winning the NCAA title increases significantly with a #1 seed. Stats will tell you that. Win all the pre-ACC season games and the Heels hit the ACC schedule as the #1 team in the country with momentum. Thus, when the Heels lose an ACC game they will not drop that far in the polls because the chances are they will still have a better record than other top teams. A good example of this was Duke's team last year. Ridiculous to expect the #1 team to go undefeated in the pre-season? Not in my eyes....not next season coming in ranked #1 in the country. Time to step up..

"Which do you like better? UNC with a #1 seed and only 2-3 losses or a UNC team with 8 losses but have a 8 game winning streak going into the Dance with a #3 seed?"

Me, I prefer the only 2-3 loss team, 8 losses & on a 8 game streak to me would mean we are over due for another loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT