ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (UCLA game - NCAAT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that was big-time.

Lemme start by stating that we just beat a really good and experienced basketball team --- as good as anyone in this tourney.

- With that said, as I posted earlier this week, I really felt we matched up pretty well with them, in that we had the length combined with defensive presence to check their triplets. And fortunately I was right. Make no mistake, those guys are good, and made seemingly every friggin thing early. The solace was that it was mostly contested shots against generally good defense, so I kept reassuring myself that they couldn't keep that up. Fortunately, that turned out to be the case as well.

- So, how different was it to watch such a start with no whistles to stop play?... but with the reason being there was actually clean basketball going on for the first 8-10 minutes. Now, of course as games heat up, contact will come and I was keen to see how the zebras would handle it. The (easily) 20 or so uncalled moving screens on UCLA's Bigs aside, the refs managed to even it up after they seemed to be picking on Mando, and overall it was a refreshing change from what we witnessed Saturday (the blown and-1 for Caleb notwithstanding). Good to see a good basketball game not unduely influenced by the guys in striped shirts.

- As well as UCLA was playing, it was VITAL to stay in reach until halftime, and one way we did that was a throwback to the last dook game, where we goaded them into early-clock mismatches off high screen action. Our (especially RJ's) decision-making and shot-selection wasn't always on point, but we cashed in enough to reel them back in, to the point I actually felt relieved at only a 3-pt deficit.

- Really solid and important minutes for Puff, especially with every possession on both ends feeling like it was crucial --- key hustle plays when UCLA seemed to be beating us to the loose balls. And props to Mando for fighting thru a balky back, and a couple of sketchy fouls for another double-double, and a BIG shot-block in crunch time followed by a vital loose-ball save, and one of the biggest tip-ins in UNC history. And speaking of tip-ins, how about Birdy Manek cuff-dunking one?

- And of course --- go ahead, @Grover Thomas --- Caleb took over the second half. The 3s were big of course, but every bit as important were some big-time drives/finishes when we were once again trying to keep UCLA in reach.

- Now... with all those good things said, I would be remiss not to give the inevitable coach-perspective caveats. One of the reasons we had to depend on Caleb's heroics was self-inflcited. And I ain't alone on this (the Jet was on the same page), we let them dictate tempo, and being candid, it almost cost us big-time. Litrerally every time we got in transition good things happened. As big a fan as I am of the job Hubert is doing, eschewing transition opportunities for set plays doesn't have to be a dichotomy --- in other words, let the guys run first when it's there and THEN run sets when the Secondary is not available. Also, it was a mistake to not foul when we had one to give, up 5 with 15 seconds. By lettling them get an uncontested layup, we put ourselves in a precarious position of facing a 1-and-1 only up 3, with potential ample time for them to tie it follwoing a miss. Fortunately, our man-du-jour Love knocked down the front end.

Anyway, one more time, this was a big-time win vs a big-time team. All credit to UCLA. They're talented, experienced and crafty. We had to earn this one, baby. Oh, and (cough, cough) about that "ACC sucks" narrative......? Well, it's time to go from underdog to villains Sunday, and we'd best be ready, but for tonight, how good does this feel, huh?... :cool:
-

-

Last edited:
Rebounding and defense were key to pulling this one out. Only 8 turnovers as well, against a team known for tough dee. That scramble blind save by Mando to Caleb for the clutch step back 3 was SO BIG .

Brady did not have a great offensive night, but he battled on the glass and he made Juarez work. That was major. Really guarded the 3 line well as a team, contested almost every look, they cooled off from the hot start.

They switched up high and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Much like Wisconsin did to us last year we continued to work off of that big switching onto RJ or Caleb.

Caleb was scintillating, he is the only real create your own type guy, and thank God he did just that when he got the mismatch or even without it.

As Gary said that is a GOOD, experienced team who had the slight advantage throughout, we hung tough and made the plays in the last 2 minutes. GREAT, WELL DESERVED WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Another homerun Gary. Great review.
1. As I said earlier this week UCLA would be our toughest game to date. That is a Final Four team
And what's really strange is I always hated the Bruins but became a fan of Jaquez and Juzang during their run last year, and Campbell has become one of my favorite PGs. Really weird feeling

2. I had to keep convincing myself they couldn't keep shooting like that, and even Cronin himself said it to Jamie Urdahl going into halftime.
We have become a good defense team, especially in the backcourt.

3. "Just keep it close", I repeated to myself over and over when it seemed they were about to stretch those 5 and 6 point leads into double digits.🥺

4. Its obvious Bacot was having some issues in his lower body. He had very little lift in the 2nd half but the block on Jaquez and tip it to give us the 5 point lead were two of the biggest plays he has made in an All-American caliber season. The soft label he had coming into the season is gone for good. Hopefully a day off and some treatment will have him ready for a Sunday double-double.

5. As for the officiating Lee Cassell didn't kill us this time. I will leave it at that.

6. Solid minutes for Puff but I thought McCoy could have also given Bacot a breather. He can defend the 4 and 5 position against a team like UCLA.

7. And last but certainly not least....Caleb friggin Love. #NadsOfStone💪💪💪💪💪
And he did it while playing all 40 minutes and not looking tired at all.

Last edited:
While I agree with most of what Gary says on his write-ups, I disagree when he says it was a mistake to not foul when we had one to give, up 5 with 15 seconds. A foul there gives UCLA a chance for set play on a throw-in for a 3-pointer. If UCLA gets a clear shot for 3-pointer and hits the shot they are down 2.

As Hubert said in the press conference after the questionable inbounds play when UNC didn't guard the inbounds pass.." We won, so it was the right play".

If's, ands and buts not applicable here. The Heels have not lost a close game all year. The man has proven that he is making the right moves in close games.

Last edited:
Their coach during the first break told the reporter that right now they (UCLA) were just making a lot of baskets right now and it won't last. I was like I sure hope not because right now they can't miss on very very tough contested shots. Phew.

Gary thank for the opportunity…..and nice write-up.

Our defense have gotten a lot better once Caleb and RJ figured out how to stay in front of their man.

Our offense is better because we finally figured out that we cant simply go to Bacot every trip no matter how many defenders are around him. And Bacot figured out that he can’t muscle up shots over multiple defenders and passing the ball back out is sometimes a better option. I see his assist numbers are up over this same period.

Finally, no matter the coaching schemes and strategy….sometimes the best strategy is to give the ball to the closer Caleb Love and get the hell out of the way…..and let Love lead the way!

Also, I read something somewhere that said I believe if you rated every team from February to now that UNC would be second in the nation in offensive efficiency and 7th in defensive efficiency. In the nation.

Sorry it was 21st o and 7th d since March 5th. So obviously not as spectacular as I thought.

Last edited:
Rebounding and defense were key to pulling this one out. Only 8 turnovers as well, against a team known for tough dee. That scramble blind save by Mando to Caleb for the clutch step back 3 was SO BIG .

Brady did not have a great offensive night, but he battled on the glass and he made Juarez work. That was major. Really guarded the 3 line well as a team, contested almost every look, they cooled off from the hot start.

They switched up high and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Much like Wisconsin did to us last year we continued to work off of that big switching onto RJ or Caleb.

Caleb was scintillating, he is the only real create your own type guy, and thank God he did just that when he got the mismatch or even without it.

As Gary said that is a GOOD, experienced team who had the slight advantage throughout, we hung tough and made the plays in the last 2 minutes. GREAT, WELL DESERVED WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Gary. I enjoy reading your evaluations. Spot on for you as usual. I will add about Coach Davis-the kids love playing for him, and he has brought them together and each player knows his role. I do agree, I noticed UCLA jogging back on defense in the first and I was yelling “push it”! Caleb Love is fearless!!! He broke UCLA’s energy with his drives and daggers! Credit goes to the staff and players! Thanks, and Go Heels!

Not bad for a bubble team. 😉 one more win and we're in the final four! Unbelievable game. One of the most legendary individual performances in one half in tournament history. Not for just UNC but for all teams, for all time, it would be difficult to find a player carrying a team to victory like Caleb Love did. But we don't win without Mando's late block, tip-in and of course "the save". Offensive rebounding was key for us and I feel will be again next game. Let's also praise leaky for his D on Juzang in those final possessions.

Wooooooo! Let's Go!

Last edited:
I found it hard to believe that no mock drafts have Love listed and that our top nba prospect according to the draft stocks supposedly is Manek at the 112th best draft prospect.

I was at the game with my three brothers and the atmosphere was electric. The arena cheered on St.
Pete as the Peacocks made history, then the dominant Tar Heel crowd was rocking during game two.
Caleb was scintillating - 27 SECOND HALF POINTS, but the three huge plays described in the thread
by Armando took the roof off. I never felt we would lose and we rose so high to the occasion.
This was no wine and cheese Dean Dome crowd either, these were East Coast Tar Heel
fans here for one thing.
Hubert will have these guys ready for SP. They play hard, smart, and together and they deserved what
they have gotten so far. We cheered for them once, but that Cinderella slipper just isn't gonna fit come Sunday
evening. GO HEELS!!!!

WoW, what a game, between 2 blue bloods for the right to move on to the Elite 8. This was basketball played on a high level. UCLA would go up 5, I'm thinking ut oh, turn my head and game is tied? This game just went like that, back and forth. It was as we couldn't get a lead but we could always get back to tie the score. Then we get things back to a 1pt game and just bow up, took the lead and didn't look back.

This was a tough, physical yet clean game played at a very high level and in the end we beat a team that in itself was absolutely final 4 quality.

And what can you say about Caleb Love's game? Kid was 2 for 12 shooting and had just had a patch of poor shot selections BUT it wasn't bad Caleb because he didn't have any TOs, he did not let the poor shooting effect the rest of his game this time. He starts the second half driving the ball to the cup and had a couple really nice contested lay ups, Caleb saw the ball go in and caught a fever. From that point on, Caleb went inferno HOT hitting shots, hard shots from everywhere, he couldn't miss. And Bacot, on a stiff back, you could see the dis-comfort yet he was a rock inside the paint, he hit a couple of really contested lay ups that helped us big time.

Leaky was doing Leaky things and what a match up that was between JJ and Leaky! JJ hit shots but you could not ask Leaky to have done more to defend that, that was great offense beating great defense and you tip the hat. But how about the work Puff put in, did ya watch him off the ball on defense, kid worked his butt off and that hard rebound put back for the and 1 op was a huge basket!

And Tyger Campbell, geez how good was he, that is one tough lil baller.

Fantastic win !!!

I found it hard to believe that no mock drafts have Love listed and that our top nba prospect according to the draft stocks supposedly is Manek at the 112th best draft prospect.
That will change after Love’s performances against Marquette with 6 threes in the first half and his take over of the game against a defensive minded UCLA who hit tore up for 27 second half points…

And let’s not forget that Love played the entire game, played hard nose
defense and lead us in assist to boot.

Correction: he was 1 for 8 or 9 at the half.

Kid is just a winner! Let Love rule

While I agree with most of what Gary says on his write-ups, I disagree when he says it was a mistake to not foul when we had one to give, up 5 with 15 seconds. A foul there gives UCLA a chance for set play on a throw-in for a 3-pointer. If UCLA gets a clear shot for 3-pointer and hits the shot they are down 2.

As Hubert said in the press conference after the questionable inbounds play when UNC didn't guard the inbounds pass.." We won, so it was the right play".

If's, ands and buts not applicable here. The Heels have not lost a close game all year. The man has proven that he is making the right moves in close games.
Sorry bro, you know I'm all about the job Hubert and staff are doing, but fouling there takes 4-5 seconds off the clock and then it's gonna take em at least another 3-4 to get a shot off. So, even if they make it, you're down to like 5 when we inbound, so even if you miss a front-end they're in desperation heave mode. As it stood, if Caleb missed the FT they had ample time to set up a good look.

Really, the only rationale for not fouling would be to save one in case of the missed FT, but then you'd have to foul twice to thwart a 3. But yeah, we won, so... 😏

That will change after Love’s performances against Marquette with 6 threes in the first half and his take over of the game against a defensive minded UCLA who hit tore up for 27 second half points…
Yeah, and that kind of hero-ball and deep range is what makes the NBA salivate over a Guard,

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
UCLA is a good team with excellent one-on-players. Tough game that could have easily gone the other way.

Good time for Caleb to have his best driving game of the season.

Adam Lucas mentioned in the 2nd half of this game was Caleb's first 2-point baskets of the tournament. He had some strong drives finishing through contact. But the most impressive to me was after the 3 charges that took him out of the Baylor game, his side stepping Campbell on the fast break layup when Campbell was in perfect position to draw the charge. Beautiful!

This team has woken up and figured out how to play with heart. I feel the early in the year team would have shut down probably when they were making contested shots. I know it’s the coaches style offense but not sure why UCLA plays the slower pace offense with the athletes they have. UCLA should give those guys more opportunities to score.

There was a stretch there where Manek’s body language was getting bad when he was struggling. I give kudos to the coaching staff for noticing and getting him out to calm him down. He came back in with the right attitude adjustment and battled. I’ve complained all year that Love has to be the worst finisher in College basketball. Well most times he’s out of control and just throws it up hoping for the foul. When he got going you could see that difference where it looked like he actually was not worrying about contact and trying finish with balance.

I have a buddy who is a closet UNC fan. He will text me a lot before the games and ask me what I’m thinking because he wants to place a bet on them. I’ve told him when I have a good feeling and when I don’t and what needs to happen. I told him last night we will cover and actually win. I’ve told him not to bet on certain games as well. So it’s not the Carolina blue glasses on all the time. I told him last night UNC would win but we need Manek and one of the guards to go off. I said I’m not mentioning Bacot because Bacot will do Bacot things and get his. He said he’s going with UNC just because of Bacot. He texted me at half and said well it’s not going like you said! I just told him well I do know one thing when Manek, Davis, or Love get hot they go blazing hot. Plus UCLA miracle shots will stop falling as Leaky will take turns shutting down Juzang and 24. Bingo!!!

Last edited:
Adam Lucas mentioned in the 2nd half of this game was Caleb's first 2-point baskets of the tournament. He had some strong drives finishing through contact. But the most impressive to me was after the 3 charges that took him out of the Baylor game, his side stepping Campbell on the fast break layup when Campbell was in perfect position to draw the charge. Beautiful!
I agree. To me that was the play that shifted him into the Zone

Once again a great write up by G7! I just love the intangibles of this team. The things you can't measure and will never be included in Net or noticed by Kenpom are what make this group special! They are far better than the sum of their parts and nobody would be surprised to see them make it to the Final game now. Hubs has made some subtle but brilliant moves this year and many of them, like being positive and supportive of his team after losing so badly two games in a row, and everyone has led them to right now!

Great Job to Hubs and the team!

Still feeling really good about the other night and I think the guys will be 100% ready for today due to the let downs throughout the year that have shown them first hand that each team needs to be taken seriously and played against with the same focus.

A couple takeaways from Friday:
Hubert made a very smart move pulling Brady and letting him get his head right. And when he was out we saw Puff give some great minutes especially that key stop on Juzang when down by 3 with 8min to go and outside of that he was very good on other posessions as well. A great stat I saw was neither Juzang or Jacquez scored in the last 10 min, kudos to Leaky, Brady and Puff.

Caleb’s drives in the beginning of the 2nd half were huge to get him going and really were the catalyst for his performance. For all the Caleb praise which was so well warranted in those closing minutes Armando was huge - the rebounds and defensive stops led to the W.

I think there was another great display of toughness Friday as there were many moments I was on the edge of my seat worrying that 1 or 2 scores by UCLA would be their springeboard for them to take the game over but our guys kept pushing back and then were the ones to provide the last punch and ended up getting the stops and scoring on the final 5 posessions to get the win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT