ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Vists with Ziaire Williams Tonight

He certainly has every opportunity with all new face vying for the lions share of last years minutes at his position. Roy always runs plenty of kids out their early in any event early on. He will get his crack at it, hopefully he shows he can be one that Roy ends up thinking is a plus out there.

I don’t see any obsession with Platek. There are some who feel he can still become an important role player off the bench(myself included). Others have basically written him off as a player who will have minimal impact during his career. It’s just a difference of opinion. Only time will tell.

Regardless, Roy is still looking for a SF. Unless we can really “wow” Puff next weekend, we may not get one unless it’s a GT.

I mean no disrespect to Walton BUT his size is a real handicap .While he may be a great shooter... IMO a 2/3 needs to be versatile and especially good on the d end. This young man seems like a one trick pony. Hope I am wrong but I just feel like we can wait this one out perhaps for a late bloomer in the spring who is more like 6 6 or 6 7 and plays good d and can rebound.
you aren't wrong in your essessment; on the podcast they said the same thing.

I mean no disrespect to Walton BUT his size is a real handicap .While he may be a great shooter... IMO a 2/3 needs to be versatile and especially good on the d end. This young man seems like a one trick pony. Hope I am wrong but I just feel like we can wait this one out perhaps for a late bloomer in the spring who is more like 6 6 or 6 7 and plays good d and can rebound.
you aren't wrong in your essessment; on the podcast they said the same thing.

Might be, that we should go lightly with our critiques concerning Kerwin. It seems to me that most of these criticisms were also thrown out back in the day when a player named Hubert Davis committed to Coach Smith. He and Walton are about the same size, similar builds, and limited athleticism. I believe we all know how Hubert turned out, even after being told by Coach Smith that he would never see much playing time.

Of course no one can foresee how he would, or will DEVELOP, over time.
Personally, I see a LOT of Hubert's traits in Kerwin Walton, so this guy says take him and don't look back, if he's willing or wants to join the program. Never, ever, discount an individual's desire to improve through development and sheer "want to", there have been too many examples over the years where our players mature and improve certain facets of their game that make them important to our success.

We need these types of players in the program to balance it out, so that 5-7 man classes are the exception, rather than the rule for UNC.

I have read up a bit on Kerwin, very good shooter, and could get better, I've seen him at 6'4" and also 6'5", he carries a little more weight than Bryce, everything else, D, especially is kinda average. But as mentioned above if he has "want to" and wants to get after it per Roy, I am good.

As to Ziare, he is an exceptional player. Yeah, we take him. I would hope we wrap him up by November signing. He could be great with us. He does everything well. I hope he is a cali kid that wants to be a Tar Heel (like a few of our others), seems he may be considereing his visits.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Might be, that we should go lightly with our critiques concerning Kerwin. It seems to me that most of these criticisms were also thrown out back in the day when a player named Hubert Davis committed to Coach Smith. He and Walton are about the same size, similar builds, and limited athleticism. I believe we all know how Hubert turned out, even after being told by Coach Smith that he would never see much playing time.

Personally, I see a LOT of Hubert's traits in Kerwin Walton, so this guy says take him and don't look back, if he's willing or wants to join the program. Never, ever, discount an individual's desire to improve through development and sheer "want to", there have been too many examples over the years where our players mature and improve certain facets of their game that make them important to our success.

We need these types of players in the program to balance it out, so that 5-7 man classes are the exception, rather than the rule for UNC.

Wish I could’ve liked this more than once. Spot on!

fair enough, but notice I didn't say any of those things just pointed put that the podcast said it

From what i’ve read ziare wont be signing any time soon. May not be a schollie avail when hes ready to decide. Roy seems to be wanting to put a bow on this class early

Exactly. I think our own Pittsburgh resident was telling us how Cam Johnson isnt good at all, and look how that turned out. Walton is a great shooter, isnt 6'8 like Cam, but has long arms and can definitely play the wing.

Exactly. I think our own Pittsburgh resident was telling us how Cam Johnson isnt good at all, and look how that turned out. Walton is a great shooter, isnt 6'8 like Cam, but has long arms and can definitely play the wing.
And that's what puzzles me when some on here say they can't understand why so many of us really like Puff. Hell, Puff is much more highly ranked coming out of high school than Cam was. Class kid who is 6-7 and can really stroke it from deep.

As for Walton being "average athletically and defensively", how many times have we been absolutely torched by guys who fit that description but who were deadly outside shooters? Never underestimate the ability to score the ball. Again, if he has an offer and is still being vigorously pursued, then Roy really wants him. And if Roy thinks he fits our needs, who am I to argue?

Like 75 said, his description fits that of Hubert coming out of high school except that Walton is known as a much better outside shooter at this stage in his development. A four year swing player who can light it up from outside? I'll take that all day.

What I can’t understand is how all of a sudden we don’t want a 4 star wing that can shoot the hell out of it. Put Walton or Puff in the 2015 class & we’re begging them to come. Land a few 5 stars & all of a sudden we’re too good for 4 star players that Roy thinks might be a fit. SMH

What I can’t understand is how all of a sudden we don’t want a 4 star wing that can shoot the hell out of it. Put Walton or Puff in the 2015 class & we’re begging them to come. Land a few 5 stars & all of a sudden we’re too good for 4 star players that Roy thinks might be a fit. SMH
Amazing what landing a few top recruits will do to people’s expectations.

I said Cam Johnson isn't a slasher and was a pure spot shooter. That he couldn't regularly create his own shot but could excel mightily when he gets the ball with space to shoot.

He, of course, developed more from there, but I think the assessment stands if you watched him at Pitt and you could see it his first season here.

He learned to leverage his height better and use his body more to help get some space as time went on.

I said Cam Johnson isn't a slasher and was a pure spot shooter. That he couldn't regularly create his own shot but could excel mightily when he gets the ball with space to shoot.

He, of course, developed more from there, but I think the assessment stands if you watched him at Pitt and you could see it his first season here.

He learned to leverage his height better and use his body more to help get some space as time went on.
You seem a might touchy there. So what's your opinion on Puff and his potential?

Reactions: Sk1310
You seem a might touchy there. So what's your opinion on Puff and his potential?
I don't know really anything about him. I haven't seen him play. I have read he is a tad overrated, but I do not know about that.

I prefer Bryce for our final ship personally. I feel many may be wanting Puff solely because of the good memories Cam gave us. I am unsure how many are wanting Puff based on what he actually is / has done. Puff could be good. I am not saying he isn't. But I like what I am hearing about Bryce.

Congrats. I know what I said. And I provided the exact same analysis I stated above regarding for why I didn't think it was the best decision. I regularly said I preferred to give that scholarship to a recruit or save it for the following year. Cam worked out well, way beyond my expectations.

3-4 years of Puff far exceeds 1 year of Bryce/Zaire, IMO.
I'm not gonna totally disagree with a 3-4 year player being a good thing there, especially with Rechon Black there now. A junior/senior Puff after Black moves on could be good.

That said, with our recruiting in a major upswing, we have to think being a junior / senior doesn't equal gonna be starting here either if the best players are gonna get the time.

The “bring in a top 20 guy every year or two at each position” is a losing proposition, as dook and UK have amply demonstrated over the last decade. It’s unsustainable. Very good talent that is also experienced beats raw uber talent most of the time. One need look no further than the last 10 NCAA champions to see that demonstrated.

3-4 years of Puff far exceeds 1 year of Bryce/Zaire, IMO.

That’s tough to know right now.

One year of Coby turned out to be a heck of a lot better than 3-4 years of most guys ranked around Puff from that class.

That’s tough to know right now.

One year of Coby turned out to be a heck of a lot better than 3-4 years of most guys ranked around Puff from that class.

Is one year of Coby equal to 4 years of Luke Maye, Isiah Hicks or Kennedy Meeks. Love Coby, but we didn't win the ACCT or NCAA championship with him.

Reactions: DrJaaay
My point is it’s tough to know without seeing the player’s career.

And imagine blaming Coby for us not winning last year.

Imagine blaming Coby? Okay. Not at all what I said. Recruiting did go down for a couple of years, but instead of blaming the investigation. Maybe some of the top recruits knew they either would get beat out or have to share minutes with our proven Junior and Seniors at the time. Can't replace three or four years of experience, and expect to win the tourney. Duke and Kentucky have had the most talented teams lately with freshman, but winning the big dance has gone to experienced teams lately.

Reactions: Archer2
I don't know really anything about him. I haven't seen him play. I have read he is a tad overrated, but I do not know about that.

I prefer Bryce for our final ship personally. I feel many may be wanting Puff solely because of the good memories Cam gave us. I am unsure how many are wanting Puff based on what he actually is / has done. Puff could be good. I am not saying he isn't. But I like what I am hearing about Bryce.
I've watched clips of Bryce and Puff and have come away unimpressed. Those clips usually show kids to good advantage. So if they don't seem worth their ranking in their own clips, it's hard to get excited about them.

Not that Walton looks better than Bryce or Puff. He doesn't. But he isn't supposed to, either.

Then again, these are just short clips. And they each have another year to develop before they get to college. So who knows.

Bottom line, I'd be happy with any of them if they want to be here. Not clear if any of them actually want to be here.

As for Puff, I can see him not wanting to come here to be compared with his 5th-year senior, lottery pick brother. That's a huge amount of expectation and, frankly, he doesn't look like he'll live up to it any time soon, if ever.

Who wants to go where you'll never be as good as your brother - where initial 2nd hand love may quickly turn to disappointment?

The flip side, of course, is to think of how good you can get in the environment that helped your brother develop so much.

A player with the great shooter and not very athletic label much more often turns out to be Michael Brooker rather than Hubert Davis

Ok, {Pittsburgh} what suburb are you now living in sir??

I'm from (________________), Pa. just down West Carson street!

:):);):):)

The year before last we would have been very excited about the prospect of signing Puff or Kerwin.

We must remember that it takes more than sheer talent to consistently put yourself in the best position to win the title. As 75 said, I don’t think it’s a good thing to need to bring in large classes every year due to early departures. Continuity is a crucial part of sustaining a top 5 program.

As good a coach as Knight Lite is, and he’s generally considered the best in today’s game, he has struggled since he adopted the OAD approach. He’s missed advancing to the second weekend twice in the last few years, despite pulling in the 1st or 2nd ranked class every year.

It’s a double edged sword.

As for Puff, I can see him not wanting to come here to be compared with his 5th-year senior, lottery pick brother. That's a huge amount of expectation and, frankly, he doesn't look like he'll live up to it any time soon, if ever.

Who wants to go where you'll never be as good as your brother - where initial 2nd hand love may quickly turn to disappointment?

The flip side, of course, is to think of how good you can get in the environment that helped your brother develop so much.
He’s more advanced at this stage than Cam was, much higher ranked. There’s no reason to think he won’t be a very good college player, especially coming from that family.

Three 5 stars , and two 4 stars. That's how Roy mixed up in the past

As good a coach as Knight Lite is, and he’s generally considered the best in today’s game, he has struggled since he adopted the OAD approach. He’s missed advancing to the second weekend twice in the last few years, despite pulling in the 1st or 2nd ranked class every year.
False depiction, should have died long ago.

And that's what puzzles me when some on here say they can't understand why so many of us really like Puff. Hell, Puff is much more highly ranked coming out of high school than Cam was. Class kid who is 6-7 and can really stroke it from deep.

As for Walton being "average athletically and defensively", how many times have we been absolutely torched by guys who fit that description but who were deadly outside shooters? Never underestimate the ability to score the ball. Again, if he has an offer and is still being vigorously pursued, then Roy really wants him. And if Roy thinks he fits our needs, who am I to argue?

Like 75 said, his description fits that of Hubert coming out of high school except that Walton is known as a much better outside shooter at this stage in his development. A four year swing player who can light it up from outside? I'll take that all day.

Let me say this first and foremost, who ever commits to Roy is IMO a guy Roy wants to coach and a kid I will get behind 100%. It is just at this point in the process it is about who of the "uncommitted" offers we have out that I prefer. In doing so, as I said, at this point in the process, hard not to compare and contrast and discuss weakness that one may have that another maybe doesn't.

Yeah, Puff is a guy I have touted hard, he and Bryce because they are both big time jump shooters, so is Walton to be fair. Bryce (sailed ship) has a more refined over all game and Puff has the length to be able to get his shot off that for what Roy looks for will be as solid a shooter as Bryce or Walton but not only fits better our 3 spot area of need but versatile enough to swing up to the 2 or down to the 4 if need presents itself, not sure either Walton or Bryce offer that to the level I think Puff can.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT