ADVERTISEMENT

Santa Fe shooting

I just read more about the shooter in this tragedy. I'm not sure what kind of new gun legislation was going to prevent this kid from pulling-off this act of revenge.

More people adhering to The Golden Rule by choice would help immensely. That's too simple, of course.

Reactions: tarheel0910
if the number of gun deaths on a yearly basis changed at all it would be by a fraction.
Approximately 2/3 of gun deaths every year are from suicide. Less than a third are due to homicide. We can't just look at legislation to make it harder to get guns as some sort of cure all. Everyone just wants to focus on one thing. There are other things we can do besides writing something on a piece of paper. Something as simple as helping these kids before they become criminals would be a big help. As you mentioned in an earlier post doing something as simple as spending time with someone who is at risk can have a big impact.

ETA: And trying to blame mental illness for a majority of gun crimes is inaccurate. Only a very small percentage of gun crimes are committed by people with mental illness.

Last edited:
Reactions: gunslingerdick
God gave you the right to own a gun? I missed that one in church.

Where the hell do you guys live that you feel you MUST HAVE A GUN or your family is going to die? I live in freaking NYC where crime is literally happening all around me yet have never, not once, felt the need to own a gun. Millions upon millions of people around the world agree with this. Why is the freaking bible belt the only place where you need a gun to feel safe?

Also...I revert back to my point that more crime happens when there are more guns. So you want less crime and your family to feel safe, what's the answer? Less guns.
Your "point" about more guns equals more crime, would be great, if it were true. But it's not.

A Harvard study from 2007 recently resurfaced. Published by the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, the study’s conclusion is contradictory to conventional wisdom about gun violence and understandably received little media attention. Citing data from the Centers of Disease Control, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the UN International Study on Firearms Regulation, the study concluded, “The more guns a nation has, the less criminal activity.”

and from the same study:

“Where firearms are most dense violent crime rates are lowest, and where guns are least dense violent crime rates are highest.”

The Constitution makes it clear that the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights are natural, UNALIENABLE rights, endowed to us by the Creator, and thus are NOT SUBJECT to being taken away by government.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Approximately 2/3 of gun deaths every year are from suicide. Less than a third are due to homicide. We can't just look at legislation to make it harder to get guns as some sort of cure all. Everyone just wants to focus on one thing. There are other things we can do besides writing something on a piece of paper. Something as simple as helping these kids before they become criminals would be a big help. As you mentioned in an earlier post doing something as simple as spending time with someone who is at risk can have a big impact.

ETA: And trying to blame mental illness for a majority of gun crimes is inaccurate. Only a very small percentage of gun crimes are committed by people with mental illness.

I don't think there is any solution to simply stopping crimes like robberies except for addressing the poverty issue.

I would say the majority of mass murders and school shootings are by people with a mental illness though. I would say it is probably difficult to do something like that unless you are mentally ill. The focus should be more on these issues to me. Schools are trying hard to focus on them. I don't what the answer is outside of that though.

Your "point" about more guns equals more crime, would be great, if it were true. But it's not.

A Harvard study from 2007 recently resurfaced. Published by the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, the study’s conclusion is contradictory to conventional wisdom about gun violence and understandably received little media attention. Citing data from the Centers of Disease Control, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the UN International Study on Firearms Regulation, the study concluded, “The more guns a nation has, the less criminal activity.”

and from the same study:

“Where firearms are most dense violent crime rates are lowest, and where guns are least dense violent crime rates are highest.”

The Constitution makes it clear that the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights are natural, UNALIENABLE rights, endowed to us by the Creator, and thus are NOT SUBJECT to being taken away by government.

giphy.gif

I would say the majority of mass murders and school shootings are by people with a mental illness though. I would say it is probably difficult to do something like that unless you are mentally ill. The focus should be more on these issues to me. Schools are trying hard to focus on them. I don't what the answer is outside of that though.
Mental illness is a convenient scapegoat. It makes us feel better to think that only someone with mental issues could do something like that. Even if you assume all of these shootings are committed by people with mental illness, that's still an extremely small percentage of gun deaths. Focusing on just them isn't going to do much.

That's the Declaration of Independence.
That's where those words are, correct. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Liberty is the big one there. Contemporaneous writings of the framers emphasized that the Bill of Rights are natural rights that we all possess at birth, and not revocation by government

Mental illness is a convenient scapegoat. It makes us feel better to think that only someone with mental issues could do something like that. Even if you assume all of these shootings are committed by people with mental illness, that's still an extremely small percentage of gun deaths. Focusing on just them isn't going to do much.

It doesn't make me feel better. I just think it is accurate. Focusing on them is the only thing I think really worthwhile tbh. I just don't think it is really possible to stop most of the other types of gun deaths. Perhaps we could at least stop or curb these.

I was assuming he was referring to an American document.
I think he was assuming, too. I dunno. Technically, "Our Creator" gave us the ability to create inalienable rights to be whatever we decide are inalienable rights at any given time. That's why the Magna Carta came first. Before that document, it was the Divine Right of Kings that ruled the land. The Church fought hard to keep the Magna Carta from replacing that. So, God has either made come concessions or doesn't really have a preference and we get to make the decisions here.

Mental illnesses are a HUGE factor in all of these cases. "Normal"-functioning minds don't do these things.

Mental illnesses are a HUGE factor in all of these cases. "Normal"-functioning minds don't do these things.
If that makes you feel better then I'm ok with you thinking that. It's certainly gives someone more comfort to think that kind of evil can't exist. But again, mass shootings are a blimp on the radar. We shouldn't just focus on them and ignore the much bigger problems.

I agree. I actually began typing out a Dsouthr-like poast but ended up just deleting it because much of what I wrote wouldn't be received well here. But the underlying premise was similar to yours in that I'm not sure this a "mental health" issue. I think, to put it frankly, this is who we are. This is the American human in 2018. Because to say that it's a mental health issue would be to insinuate that that the people that do these things deviate from the norm. I'm not sure that's the case. Like I said, I think this is just who we are now - desensitized, disconnected, and divided.

If that makes you feel better then I'm ok with you thinking that. It's certainly gives someone more comfort to think that kind of evil can't exist. But again, mass shootings are a blimp on the radar. We shouldn't just focus on them and ignore the much bigger problems.
"That kind of evil?"

Reactions: BillyL
What's your point? Are you saying that evil doesn't exist? Would you prefer a different term like hate?
I'm saying that you steered away from verifiable conditions like a mental illness (there can be any number), that science identifies and can monitor, conduct studies, etc.. And, you opted for "that kind of evil"... or "hate", which is a generalized, mythological term. "The evil reigned over us!" Like it's some mystical force that we will never understand.

I'm saying that you steered away from verifiable conditions like a mental illness (there can be any number), that science identifies and can monitor, conduct studies, etc.. And, you opted for "that kind of evil"... or "hate", which is a generalized, mythological term. "The evil reigned over us!" Like it's some mystical force that we will never understand.
Here's your science. Mental illness alone contributes very little to the overall problem. Things like impulsivity, anger, traumatic life events like job loss or divorce, and alcohol use are stronger risk factors for gun violence. In other words, most of the posters on this board are more likely to shoot someone. But we can ignore all of that and just lock up all of the crazy people. Everything will be alright then.

ETA: More science for you.

https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.5555/appi.books.9781615371099

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/politics/fact-check-parkland-gun-violence-mental-illness.html

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180509-is-there-a-link-between-mass-shooting-and-mental-illness

Last edited:
Here's your science. Mental illness alone contributes very little to the overall problem. Things like impulsivity, anger, traumatic life events like job loss or divorce, and alcohol use are stronger risk factors for gun violence. In other words, most of the posters on this board are more likely to shoot someone. But we can ignore all of that and just lock up all of the crazy people. Everything will be alright then.

ETA: More science for you.

https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.5555/appi.books.9781615371099
I never meant to imply that I want "crazy people" to all be locked up. Above, you stayed on-course with verifiable data- something we can debate. When you veer-off into "There's just evil in the world", then you're just giving up on it.

If that study shows that most of us are more likely to shoot-up a school, then I don't trust that study very much. Maybe I misunderstood you.

If the science undeniably proves that mental illness is not a factor, then fine, I accept it. If that is just one doctor's findings, then that's not undeniable proof.

If that study shows that most of us are more likely to shoot-up a school, then I don't trust that study very much. Maybe I misunderstood you.
I was being sarcastic because of other factors that increase the chances like alcohol use and anger. An angry drunk is more likely to kill someone than a happy mentally ill person.

If that is just one doctor's findings, then that's not undeniable proof.
I didn't count up the studies included in the articles, but there are multiple studies that draw the same conclusion. Which is focusing on just mentally ill people is misguided and they barely register on the radar for gun violence (excluding suicide). If that's not enough science for you I can always find more. I have a feeling that you're not going to change your opinion though.

@tarheel0910

I've noticed that the mental health topic strikes a nerve with you. Is there a reason for that?
Yes. I have some people close to me that suffer from mental illness. I hadn't planned on mentioning this on the board, but I had a friend kill himself a few weeks ago, so that made it even more personal. When people just try to blame mental illness on everything I take offense to that because it's not accurate and that type of mindset is one of the reasons people don't seek help.

I agree. I actually began typing out a Dsouthr-like poast but ended up just deleting it because much of what I wrote wouldn't be received well here. But the underlying premise was similar to yours in that I'm not sure this a "mental health" issue. I think, to put it frankly, this is who we are. This is the American human in 2018. Because to say that it's a mental health issue would be to insinuate that that the people that do these things deviate from the norm. I'm not sure that's the case. Like I said, I think this is just who we are now - desensitized, disconnected, and divided.

I blame the internet for the proliferation of deviant behavior. There’s a lot less shame in doing something if it seems like a lot of other people are doing it too.

One thing that I think would help with school shootings would be to quit naming the shooter. Certainly the name would inevitably leak out, but keeping it out of the news would be helpful.

I provided you with multiple studies and you apparently ignored them even though you asked for them. Why would I expect someone who won't take the time to look at them to change their mind?
I ignored them? Actually, I didn't. I'm even researching the authors. One link you offered takes time to finish.

I ignored them? Actually, I didn't. I'm even researching the authors. One link you offered takes time to finish.
Well, you didn't even know at the time that it was more than one study. That kind of insinuates that you didn't even click on the link. I'm glad to hear you are actually reading them though. Most people don't.

Statistics say that focusing on those who commit mass shootings isn't worthwhile? I'm not even sure how that could be measured at this point.
Read the studies I've provided. I'm not sure what else I can say. I'm not saying to ignore them, but focusing solely on them is like putting a band aide on a finger you just chopped off.

Yes. I have some people close to me that suffer from mental illness. I hadn't planned on mentioning this on the board, but I had a friend kill himself a few weeks ago, so that made it even more personal. When people just try to blame mental illness on everything I take offense to that because it's not accurate and that type of mindset is one of the reasons people don't seek help.

I'm not even speaking of it from a negative sense. It is a real thing though (as you know). I assume we all know plenty of people who deal with it. So identify people that suffer from it and help them. That is the point. We are also arguing two different things. You are focusing on gun violence and I'm focusing on mass shootings, which I certainly do thing coincides with mental issues.

Read the studies I've provided. I'm not sure what else I can say. I'm not saying to ignore them, but focusing solely on them is like putting a band aide on a finger you just chopped off.

I'm not saying to focus solely on them. I think we need to do a better job of helping people who deal with them and not treating them like they are bad people. I think you are looking at what I'm saying as labeling mentally ill people as potential murderers or something. I'm saying identify and help so they get treatment and their issues don't get a chance to proliferate into something that is harmful to them (and others in some cases).

So identify people that suffer from it and help them.
Right, but when people just come out and say they must be crazy because sane people don't do this is counterproductive and not consistent with studies.

We are also arguing two different things. You are focusing on gun violence and I'm focusing on mass shootings,
I'm focusing on both. At least one of the studies I provided talk about mass shootings.

I certainly do thing coincides with mental issues.
No where near the extent that you are thinking it does. Again, read those studies and tell me what you think.

I may at some point. To be honest, I don't have a lot of faith in research these days because I feel I can generally find data to support both sides of whatever argument I want to make. Maybe not in this case but I would have to look for both to feel comfortable with it. That belief certainly doesn't invalidate it though. I'm not trying to say that either. (edit: I read through the sections on mass shootings. I'm not sure it goes against what I have been saying all that much. It seems to place pretty extreme limitations on mental issues in general, which I have a problem with tbh. I would agree fully with the overall sentiment about gun violence in general, which I don't think has much of a link at all to it.)

I know I deal with kids every day who have mental illness and the ones who get consistent treatment are considerably less violent and less impulsive than those who do not. I'm not saying they are going to end up growing up and doing something egregious but they are definitely more likely to try and hurt someone else at this point than their peers. It doesn't seem reasonable one just grows out of it.

Last edited:
The main purpose of that is home defense for Mrs 71.

Right. I figured. It's much easier to hit a moving target with a spread shot (even if it's only 4 shots) than one projectile bullet. Especially in the dark. You've set her up best you can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT