ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret" scrimmage...

I don’t know what everyone else’s thoughts on FAU are but I think they should be a really solid team. If true, even though it’s a scrimmage, we could have a good year. 👀👀

I did not expect much from Wojcik. Looks like he may be much more then I thought?

I did not expect much from Wojcik. Looks like he may be much more then I thought?
I mean he didn't do much in the Blue/White game, I haven't read anything about him standing out today either. He also isn't one of the guys who have been drawing rave reviews in offseason pickup games.

Right now Cadeau says he and RJ are mostly practicing on opposite teams. So I'm hopeful that Hubert is just giving Cadeau a crash course on running the offense by letting him run the Blue team in practice. But hopefully Wojcik is just the defacto 5th starter bc RJ and Elliot haven't practiced much together. Once Cadeau shows Hubert he has the PG spot mastered, I hope we make the switch to a Cadeau/RJ backcourt on the White team in practice, which would lead to Cadeau/RJ becoming the starting lineup in real games.

Yeah I definitely needed that tonight.

Omarion Hampton was only given 4 running plays in the 2nd half tonight.
Still a basketball school unfortunately. Can’t compete nationally if you can’t beat teams like Virginia. Not matter who you run or how bad you play. I hate it. This seemed like the best schedule possible for us this year.

Yeah I definitely needed that tonight.

Omarion Hampton was only given 4 running plays in the 2nd half tonight.
Agree with you such a pee poor performance on the football field tonight ... coaches & players in every phase of the game were bad ..

Cautiously optimistic. Some information below on Martin (6'2 guard), their best player that didn't play.

Scenario: Take RG Davis out of this game with Martin playing the results probably much different.

A win is a win. I'll take it.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
Hubert has to start Cadeau. I understand about Hubert challenging Elliot in the summer but now is the time to get him acclimated with the rest of the starters. If Hubert doesn’t start Cadeau than not only will that hamper our team going forward but it will have ramifications in recruiting as well. Cadeau isn’t just a five star PG he is a very savvy, special and a true five star PG. Hubert knows this as do the rest of us. With that being said I don’t know any of the particulars of the secret scrimmage. Elliot might not have started but did he play starter type minutes? Idk. What I do know is what I saw at live action and that was a young man who looks every bit of what we have needed in Chapel Hill for the last several years. A true PG and as I sat there and watched him I kept thinking of how much better he is going to make RJ and the other players around him look. He makes everyone around him better and he is going to take a lot of pressure off of them. He just has that “It” factor that you don’t see very often in high caliber players coming into college.

Hubert has to start Cadeau. I understand about Hubert challenging Elliot in the summer but now is the time to get him acclimated with the rest of the starters. If Hubert doesn’t start Cadeau than not only will that hamper our team going forward but it will have ramifications in recruiting as well. Cadeau isn’t just a five star PG he is a very savvy, special and a true five star PG. Hubert knows this as do the rest of us. With that being said I don’t know any of the particulars of the secret scrimmage. Elliot might not have started but did he play starter type minutes? Idk. What I do know is what I saw at live action and that was a young man who looks every bit of what we have needed in Chapel Hill for the last several years. A true PG and as I sat there and watched him I kept thinking of how much better he is going to make RJ and the other players around him look. He makes everyone around him better and he is going to take a lot of pressure off of them. He just has that “It” factor that you don’t see very often in high caliber players coming into college.
I think the real reason Cadeau has been on the second team is because Seth has been dinged up. Cadeau needs to be challenged hard in practice and Seth is that guy but his being hurt means the only other real option is RJ and RJ can't guard him if they are on the same team. I hear there have been some passes that the staff does not like from the kid, they love his aggression but at times he gets a touch casual, can't get away with that in the ACC.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Spot on that there's a stark difference with EC running the show. And ultimately, he is the difference between an NCAA team with maybe a second-weekend ceiling and one with reaiistic championship aspirations.

The biggest dilemma the staff faces right now is defense with a small backcourt. although I think much if that can be mitigated by being multiple. The other issue is EC's propensity for foul trouble (something he's already had issues with when actual refs have been used in practice runs). Although he is a stronger on-ball defender than RJ, his ball-hawking sometimes gets him in trouble (as it did in HS/AAU), and his off-ball footwork needs to be more purposeful and efficient so he doesn't challenge off-balance (he needs to watch Joel Berry video for how to do it right).

But yes, whether now or down the road, the sooner we can give the keys to EC, the sooner we'll reach our potential.

How far the basketball program has fell that we are pumped up after beating FAU in a scrimmage…LOL…Man I miss UNC being good in basketball…

Apparently he's one of three guys who starts the season with an outside-shooting green light from Hubert. The other 2 being RJ and Cormac. Sounds like he will get decent PT - on the theory that you want your green light guys on the floor a lot.

How far the basketball program has fell that we are pumped up after beating FAU in a scrimmage…LOL…Man I miss UNC being good in basketball…
You mean beating a Final Four team (currently ranked #10) handily?
Can't fault anyone for feeling good about that.
And nah... I don't think you're "missing" anything.

One of the weakest troll attempts I have seen! We have some professionals on here that could give this guy a lesson!

Interesting how we spent all last year berating Hubs for handing peeps playing time and not forcing them to earn it and now we complain because he is forcing them to earn it, lol! AND we don't seem to realize that RJ is the only iron we have right now that can sharpen EC.

At this point you might as well just start another new account bc everyone knows you are a troll.
Just stating facts…Since UNC last Title we are 110-70…. Let that sink in….That is not the standard for UNC Basketball….I hope Coach Davis can turn it around but nothing to this point has showed me he can…

Just stating facts…Since UNC last Title we are 110-70…. Let that sink in….That is not the standard for UNC Basketball….I hope Coach Davis can turn it around but nothing to this point has showed me he can…
There is no "we" in this conversation. You're a troll who created your account in March.

How sad of a life do you lead that you not only created an account to troll this board, but you still try to pretend to be a Tar Heel after you realize nobody believes you?

Are you having psychological issues? Do you need us to call someone in your local area to get you the mental help you need? Asking for help is the first step in getting help. Since you obviously have no one in your life who cares enough to get you help, you're going to have to make the first step yourself.

Hey, I'm all for Wojcik and any of them, I just did not expect him to be a rotational cog this year. He may be, and I'm all for earning those minutes. I just think RJ, Cadeau, Ryan, and Seth would be the rotation for his minutes. Spot minute guy was my thought, maybe he is more?

It sure how the discussion devolve to this point. I would be interested in more information on the scrimmage, if it exist

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
One of the weakest troll attempts I have seen! We have some professionals on here that could give this guy a lesson!

Interesting how we spent all last year berating Hubs for handing peeps playing time and not forcing them to earn it and now we complain because he is forcing them to earn it, lol! AND we don't seem to realize that RJ is the only iron we have right now that can sharpen EC.
I see what you did there. Iron sharpens iron. Great source to pull from!

What would he have to do this year to prove himself? Are you willing to give him a few more years?

While I don't think we are a particularly quick team, if Cadeau lives up to his hype and if our new guys can shoot well enough to space the floor, we might be a lot quicker than I'm giving us cretit for.

What would he have to do this year to prove himself? Are you willing to give him a few more years?
Hubs would have to coach for a different team to get his approval! The good thing is he doesn't need his or any of our approval! It is the height of folly to think someone can come in and change the course of our storied program instantly. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence expected a gradual return to our traditional status. Peeps who actually think without reactionary emotions, can see us slowly moving back to our glory. The dysfunction took multiple years (and a change in the entire world) to get us to our low point and it was obvious that it would take at least as many to recover! Who can look at us now and not see a remarkable resurgence to the top of the Blueblood heap? When was the last time UNC was on the lips and list of just about every 5* recruit? When did we get back to back top 3 recruiting classes? When were we touted as a legitimate FF contender? (Just like Roy, Hubs took over a dysfunctional team and immediately took them to the Natty game, hmmm) A larger question to me is, how can a few down years cause so many peeps to lose confidence and develop PTSD? How weak was our actual fandom? I see a bright future and I love what Hubs is doing to bring back our glory WITHOUT sacrificing the Carolina Way!

Please stay OFF the bandwagon once this year unfolds in all its glory!

That scrimmage proves we have a deep, versatile team. It showed crisp passing, ball movement, shooting, fast play! The most important thing I saw was the incredible JOY these guys have in playing together! I bet the coach has something to do with this as well! This year will e a fun ride!

The topic of this thread was actually about the scrimmage we just has with FAU, I had to scroll up to make sure because it has devolved down to yet another troll driven negative discussion concerning Hubert. In the off season, yeah, I was down for discussions of Hubert's performance as coach last season, I clearly shared I did NOT like his performance last season. I gave reasons for what I did not like as well as share what I need to see from Hubert and this staff moving forward. I as well shared that so far, I have liked what I have seen from this off season, so far it does seem like radical change is under way, back to what I see more as UNC basketball. Now I have to wait and see how this all plays out on the court, but it looks like things are ready to run much smoother.

How about we don't allow a troll to set the tone here guys, great rule of thumb is to not acknowledge a troll, don't feed him what he craves and that is attention.

How about we take some good news from all of this? When this roster was complete, I had Paxon as the 9th guy in our rotation, seemed like most agreed that was about where he was expected to be, a back up 3 that would be lucky to get 5-10mins a game. This kid is right now one of our starters, sure, a matter of time before Cadeau starts and Paxon comes off the bench but the fact that this kid is even in the discussion of starting means we got a lot more of a player than we realized we were getting. That to me is fantastic news actually, it is a bit like Brady Manek type news where much less was expected from him than the more ballyhooed Garcia but Brady out played Garcia and sent Garcia off to care for sick relatives (a cover story I still laugh at). Wojic is now firmly in the discussion of starters, I doubt many expected that and it isn't because Cadeau has under performed, it is more than Wojic has out performed expectations so far, that has to be great news!

Last edited:
  • Love
That scrimmage proves we have a deep, versatile team. It showed crisp passing, ball movement, shooting, fast play! The most important thing I saw was the incredible JOY these guys have in playing together! I bet the coach has something to do with this as well! This year will e a fun ride!
This has to be the first year where we're taking this many definitive conclusions away from a preseason scrimmage right?

A larger question to me is, how can a few down years cause so many peeps to lose confidence and develop PTSD? How weak was our actual fandom?
Fans are fickle. And maybe they should be? You can still enjoy watching a less successful team, but can you enjoy them as much? Those of us old enough to have lived though the Dean/Roy era have been spoiled.

It's hard to adjust from being a perennial contender to being an uncertain performer that doesn't make it to post-season play often, or ever. And yet that's the experience of, what, three-quarters or more of fan bases? Yet many of them seem like happy fans. How do they do it?

I think what we've seen in recent years is the understandable acting out of a disappointed fan base determined to resist any suggestion of a lower-expectation future.

That's why I asked my question about how much time the other poster was willing to give Hubert.

Like nearly every fan here, I'm really excited and optimistic about the coming season. On paper, we're a legit top-20 team, and very likely top-10 or even top-5.

BUT . . . most of us felt that way before the start of last season.

Right now, we're a little fragile. I'm not sure Hubert gets more years if this "can't fail" season ends up failing, without clear reasons that can't be blamed on Hubert.

Fingers crossed that this season lives up to expectations.

What expectations do you think are reasonable?

Last edited:
Starting Lineup against FAU was

RJ Davis
Cormac Ryan
Paxson Wojik
Harrison Ingram
Armando Bacot
Before we got Cadeau, I was expecting

RJ
Cormac
Harrison
Withers
Armando

... and, frankly, I was liking that lineup. Especially with Seth, Washington and D'Marco as backups.

So it's interesting to see Paxson slide into that starting lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT