ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret" scrimmage...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Source: North Carolina had NO issues with FAU in a secret scrimmage. Tar Heels were dominant.

RJ Davis was terrific, Jalen Washington and Elliot Cadeau played well for UNC.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Fans are fickle. And maybe they should be? You can still enjoy watching a less successful team, but can you enjoy them as much? Those of us old enough to have lived though the Dean/Roy era have been spoiled.

It's hard to adjust from being a perennial contender to being an uncertain performer that doesn't make it to post-season play often, or ever. And yet that's the experience of, what, three-quarters or more of fan bases? And many of them seem like happy fans. How do they do it?

I think what we've seen in recent years is the understandable acting out of a disappointed fan base determined to resist any suggestion of a lower-expectation future.

That's why I asked my question about how much time the other poster was willing to give Hubert.

Like nearly every fan here, I'm really excited and optimistic about the coming season. On paper, we're a legit top-20 team, and very likely top-10 or even top-5.

BUT . . . most of us felt that way before the start of last season.

Right now, we're a little fragile. I'm not sure Hubert gets more years if this "can't fail" season ends up failing, without clear reasons that can't be blamed on Hebert.

Fingers crossed that this season lives up to expectations.

What expectations do you think are reasonable?
My expectations are are Elite 8 but that may be a bit to aggressive for many considering that many may be shell shocked still from last season. I think sweet 16 is more than reasonable, I think at least top 3 in the ACC is very reasonable, I have us top 2 with a war on our hands with duke for top of the ACC. When I say I expect elite 8 that is where I call all bets off, past that point I will feel like we had a really solid come back season but I do think we can do much better than elite 8. I do think we have natty level talent but that talent has to come together just right and we will have to see how that develops.

The topic of this thread was actually about the scrimmage we just has with FAU, I had to scroll up to make sure because it has devolved down to yet another troll driven negative discussion concerning Hubert. In the off season, yeah, I was down for discussions of Hubert's performance as coach last season, I clearly shared I did NOT like his performance last season. I gave reasons for what I did not like as well as share what I need to see from Hubert and this staff moving forward. I as well shared that so far, I have liked what I have seen from this off season, so far it does seem like radical change is under way, back to what I see more as UNC basketball. Now I have to wait and see how this all plays out on the court, but it looks like things are ready to run much smoother.

How about we don't allow a troll to set the tone here guys, great rule of thumb is to not acknowledge a troll, don't feed him what he craves and that is attention.

How about we take some good news from all of this? When this roster was complete, I had Paxon as the 9th guy in our rotation, seemed like most agreed that was about where he was expected to be, a back up 3 that would be lucky to get 5-10mins a game. This kid is right now one of our starters, sure, a matter of time before Cadeau starts and Paxon comes off the bench but the fact that this kid is even in the discussion of starting means we got a lot more of a player than we realized we were getting. That to me is fantastic news actually, it is a bit like Brady Manek type news where much less was expected from him than the more ballyhooed Garcia but Brady out played Garcia and sent Garcia off to care for sick relatives (a cover story I still laugh at). Wojic is now firmly in the discussion of starters, I doubt many expected that and it isn't because Cadeau has under performed, it is more than Wojic has out performed expectations so far, that has to be great news!
I'm with you on being interested in seeing what role Wojcik ends up in, if he is indeed a rotational guy that is more then I thought when he committed.

I do not quite see Manek and his transfer similar at all though. Manek was already all Big 12 (twice I think), the star at Oklahoma, and the best shooting big in the portal. He only had 1 year of eligibility left while Garcia had multiple, who was seen as the more versatile, but each were established power conference guys coming in. Wojcik much more of a wild card for me.

There is no "we" in this conversation. You're a troll who created your account in March.

How sad of a life do you lead that you not only created an account to troll this board, but you still try to pretend to be a Tar Heel after you realize nobody believes you?

Are you having psychological issues? Do you need us to call someone in your local area to get you the mental help you need? Asking for help is the first step in getting help. Since you obviously have no one in your life who cares enough to get you help, you're going to have to make the first step yourself.
Told you before I was on these boards going back to 04 and 05 I lost my information on my old account Kool123 and had to make another 1…So definitely not a troll…I just post more on Blitz and have started all the Game Threads this year for football…Just not excited about the secret scrimmage like others…Also these games have always been nothing like a real game or that is what the experts have said..

My expectations are are Elite 8 but that may be a bit to aggressive for many considering that many may be shell shocked still from last season. I think sweet 16 is more than reasonable, I think at least top 3 in the ACC is very reasonable, I have us top 2 with a war on our hands with duke for top of the ACC. When I say I expect elite 8 that is where I call all bets off, past that point I will feel like we had a really solid come back season but I do think we can do much better than elite 8. I do think we have natty level talent but that talent has to come together just right and we will have to see how that develops.
I think of Roy as an Elite Eight coach. That was a reasonable expectation going into the generic season. I haven't run the numbers, but that seems right. Not many coaches are better than that.

I'll be very happy if Hubert can get us there. Missing last season dug a bit of a hole, but a Final Four will make up for it.

Peeps concentrate so much on the freaking hole, they never notice the dirt dug out of it! We freaking led in during the second half of the vast majority of our games. (11/13) One bounce here, one made 3, one pass for a better shot here and there and we have a second magical season! Peeps act like he did a poor job but we all know what he was working with and similar to Roy, he turned it into a competitive team.

I apologize for participating in a derailment, but I am really sick of the freaking whining and complaining! Peeps have no idea what the Carolina Way is! But they manage to call themselves Tar Heels when we win!

Peeps concentrate so much on the freaking hole, they never notice the dirt dug out of it! We freaking led in during the second half of the vast majority of our games. (11/13) One bounce here, one made 3, one pass for a better shot here and there and we have a second magical season! Peeps act like he did a poor job but we all know what he was working with and similar to Roy, he turned it into a competitive team.

I apologize for participating in a derailment, but I am really sick of the freaking whining and complaining! Peeps have no idea what the Carolina Way is! But they manage to call themselves Tar Heels when we win!
Notre Dame lost 10 games last year by 2 possessions or less. Damn, one bounce here, one made 3, one pass for a better shot here and there and Notre Dame could've been a 20 win team as opposed to a 20 loss team!

We also won 5 games last year by 2 possessions or less. We were trailing Syracuse in the final minute of one of those wins. We needed a miracle shot by Nance to beat Ohio State. And we needed Notre Dame to throw the ball underneath their defensive basket to one of our guys for a wide open layup. Damn, one bounce here, one missed 3 and we could've lost those games too!

We ended the season 5-6 in games decided by 6 points or less. So it isn't as if we had a fluky, unsustainable 11-0 record in games decided by 6 points or less. Nor did we go an equally unsustainable 0-11 in such games. We went a pretty reasonable 5-6, which is what average teams will probably be around.

I don't disagree that this is a new team, so fans (myself included) need to be fair to this team. Last year isn't a predictor of what will happen this season. But the "one bounce here, one bounce there" is a bad argument IMO. And to be honest, it's the argument that a lot of loser teams have more at the professional level of sports.

Glass half full! True Tar Heel fan.

Notre Dame lost 10 games last year by 2 possessions or less. Damn, one bounce here, one made 3, one pass for a better shot here and there and Notre Dame could've been a 20 win team as opposed to a 20 loss team!

We also won 5 games last year by 2 possessions or less. We were trailing Syracuse in the final minute of one of those wins. We needed a miracle shot by Nance to beat Ohio State. And we needed Notre Dame to throw the ball underneath their defensive basket to one of our guys for a wide open layup. Damn, one bounce here, one missed 3 and we could've lost those games too!

We ended the season 5-6 in games decided by 6 points or less. So it isn't as if we had a fluky, unsustainable 11-0 record in games decided by 6 points or less. Nor did we go an equally unsustainable 0-11 in such games. We went a pretty reasonable 5-6, which is what average teams will probably be around.

I don't disagree that this is a new team, so fans (myself included) need to be fair to this team. Last year isn't a predictor of what will happen this season. But the "one bounce here, one bounce there" is a bad argument IMO. And to be honest, it's the argument that a lot of loser teams have more at the professional level of sports.

Glass half empty! Not so sure about the fandom

I think of Roy as an Elite Eight coach. That was a reasonable expectation going into the generic season. I haven't run the numbers, but that seems right. Not many coaches are better than that.

I'll be very happy if Hubert can get us there. Missing last season dug a bit of a hole, but a Final Four will make up for it.
Roy's good teams made it deep into the NCAA tournament (elite 8 or beyond). Roy's ok teams got knocked out in the 2nd round or sweet 16. I don't think there were a ton of exceptions that fell short apart from the Coby White team that had a really good regular season and lost in the 2nd round. And even that team I think overachieved in the regular season. Roy's bad teams were missing the tournament.

Roy's teams never had a shock March run like we had in 2022. In fairness I didn't think that runner up team in 2015-16 would do squat but I was clearly wrong on that team all season. Roy's teams never really completely fell on their face in March in the first round either. It was quite nice from a fan perspective, lol.

One thing I will always miss about Roy's teams in March. Apart from his last season (which will always bug me)... He didn't lose in the 1st round. The 1st round gets every coach, and gets almost every coach more than once if they've been coaching long enough. It was such a luxury to know you wouldn't be losing to a teen seed in the 1st round.

One bounce here, etc isn't an argument, it is simple truth! I have no idea what Notre Dame has to do with anything I said but I guess that is what you do when you don't actually have anything to refute an argument. The point for the reading challenged was.....The team and our coach weren't as God awful as peeps make them out to be. The team was dysfunctional and some of that rests in the staff's hands, but the majority of it rests with the players. (Injuries, attitudes, and selfishness)

Moving on to the present: I see a team poised to succeed and a staff that has shown a learning curve as steep as the players!

If I see a glass that is half empty; it simply means it has room for more goodness!
(or the crystal clear liquid was distilled using mountain stream water!)

Go Tar Heels!

Roy's good teams made it deep into the NCAA tournament (elite 8 or beyond). Roy's ok teams got knocked out in the 2nd round or sweet 16. I don't think there were a ton of exceptions that fell short apart from the Coby White team that had a really good regular season and lost in the 2nd round. And even that team I think overachieved in the regular season. Roy's bad teams were missing the tournament.

Roy's teams never had a shock March run like we had in 2022. In fairness I didn't think that runner up team in 2015-16 would do squat but I was clearly wrong on that team all season. Roy's teams never really completely fell on their face in March in the first round either. It was quite nice from a fan perspective, lol.

One thing I will always miss about Roy's teams in March. Apart from his last season (which will always bug me)... He didn't lose in the 1st round. The 1st round gets every coach, and gets almost every coach more than once if they've been coaching long enough. It was such a luxury to know you wouldn't be losing to a teen seed in the 1st round.
Sadly, Roy stuck around 2 years too long. His only losing season and his only first-round exit from the NCAAT.

Did he hang on through those tough seasons to spare Hubert? It's the sort of thing I can see him doing.

Sadly, Roy stuck around 2 years too long. His only losing season and his only first-round exit from the NCAAT.

Did he hang on through those tough seasons to spare Hubert? It's the sort of thing I can see him doing.
I don’t think so. I believe he saw the writing on the wall of changing times and didn’t want to battle or endure things that were out of his control. Plenty of money, health and time to enjoy family. Jmo of course

Keep in mind that '19-'20 team certainly looked like a sweet sixteen team before the injuries hit. That squad led the NCAA in player games missed due to injury. But we looked really good at the very beginning of the season.

Then the '20-'21 team brought in an amazing recruiting class that I bet Roy was really excited to coach. And while I'm not sure anything could have fixed the perimeter shooting issues, I still believe a tweak to the post rotation would have allowed us to win the ACC tournament. When Brooks had to sit due to injury and we went solely with the Bacot/Sharpe/Kessler rotation, we looked like we could beat anyone just by dominating the offensive boards.

I believe he simply didn't want to leave his beloved program in a broken state. I agree that he just couldn't stomach what was happening in college bball. He seemed especially disappointed in the entitlement of high level prospects and the increased influence/interference of their parents + entourage!

Agree with you such a pee poor performance on the football field tonight ... coaches & players in every phase of the game were bad ..
Those God awful passing plays they were forcing to Nate should have been touches for Hampton but I digress. The only issue I see with EC and its just IMO is his on ball defense. He seems to be easy to drive past.

Reactions: tarheels0015
I believe he simply didn't want to leave his beloved program in a broken state.
Well sorry to say, that didn’t work out as planned… I loved Roy and what he did for the program but I believe he made some crucial errors in his last few yrs.

All that said, I believe Hubert has proven he can recruit and I’m very interested to see how he coaches this years crew.

Oh snap! That is good, focusing more on the hole than the dirt dug out of it! I have NEVER heard that but I like it a ton! Kudos my friend!

Well sorry to say, that didn’t work out as planned… I loved Roy and what he did for the program but I believe he made some crucial errors in his last few yrs.

All that said, I believe Hubert has proven he can recruit and I’m very interested to see how he coaches this years crew.
I think, when a very successful coach begins to consider retirement that he should then and there retire because it is already in his thinking. Roy shared that he considered retiring after his last natty...

Those God awful passing plays they were forcing to Nate should have been touches for Hampton but I digress. The only issue I see with EC and its just IMO is his on ball defense. He seems to be easy to drive past.
Great call, blows my mind that Hampton had 97yds at the half and only ran the ball 5 or 6 more times in the second half.

On Cadeau, I don't think he will be as easy to drive on as time goes on, he has really quick feet and even quicker hands. He for now takes a few to many chances on steals that he got away with in high school but the ACC is a different beast. Just part of the learning process of when to and when not to.

Extreme athleticism + pride in his craft + bball IQ + a demonstrated willingness to be coached = EC will learn very quickly to be a + defender! Simply trying to stay in front of RJ will stand him in good stead when playing against others.

Oz: I am also sorry that Roy couldn't hand over the program in better shape. I don't know whether it is worse for fans or Roy himself!

I think, when a very successful coach begins to consider retirement that he should then and there retire because it is already in his thinking. Roy shared that he considered retiring after his last natty...
Dunno about that --- Dean retired too soon when he started thinking about it, and came to realize that mistake pretty quickly thereafter. There's no magic formula.

In Roy's case, he increasingly allowed his "seat-of-the-pants" tendencies to supersede the system concepts. That 2017 bunch was special and sealed his legacy, and no one would've blamed him had he called it a day right afterward.

Dunno about that --- Dean retired too soon when he started thinking about it, and came to realize that mistake pretty quickly thereafter. There's no magic formula.

In Roy's case, he increasingly allowed his "seat-of-the-pants" tendencies to supersede the system concepts. That 2017 bunch was special and sealed his legacy, and no one would've blamed him had he called it a day right afterward.
I only know what I saw on TV, but he seemed to be having more bouts of vertigo and to be yelling at his players more. Add that to years of the NCAA cloud, social media nonsense, handlers, and the rest, and it sure looked like he was having less fun.

2016 and 2017 may have made him think the bad times were behind him, but those probably should have been treated as deserved highlights to cap off a fine career.

I only know what I saw on TV, but he seemed to be having more bouts of vertigo and to be yelling at his players more. Add that to years of the NCAA cloud, social media nonsense, handlers, and the rest, and it sure looked like he was having less fun.

2016 and 2017 may have made him think the bad times were behind him, but those probably should have been treated as deserved highlights to cap off a fine career.
Roy had defintely earned the right to ride off into the sunset, but he also had earned the right to keep on keeping on.
But you're right, the external stuff got in the way of the joy. I'm eternally happy that Joel, Theo, Meeks and those guys delivered redemption in '17, not just for themselves, but for Ol' Roy.

LOL, Roy's starting back court was Caleb and RJ, reason enough for any coach to scream! LOL That freshman back court reminded me is BMo and Boone, good for comedy but little else! LOL

That sounds impressive, but look at our team last year. Almost everyone back and #1 to start.
Except we didn't have almost everyone back. We lost starter Brady Manek who played iron man minutes and was a major offensive weapon(plus Walton, Harris, and Garcia.)

I've just read through 2 pages of an early season scrimmage against a weak opponent and I have yet to see a word about the 5th yr. sr. center ?? And this is the 2nd scrimmage where he was rarely even mentioned. The crickets sing a song. Has there been any positive development on the senior starting 4/5 player?

I've just read through 2 pages of an early season scrimmage against a weak opponent and I have yet to see a word about the 5th yr. sr. center ?? And this is the 2nd scrimmage where he was rarely even mentioned. The crickets sing a song. Has there been any positive development on the senior starting 4/5 player?
Well, maybe the most memorable play in my mind is when he got stuffed by the rim on a dunk attempt. It was a humbling block by the rim.

• Haha
Reactions: al would
Huh?... the comparison the poster made was worse than "apples and oranges", ergo, "watermelons"
I asked that you explain rather than just restate it. We did bring back 4 of our 5 starters last season, we were a VERY experienced team, everyone pointed to UNC as the #1 or 2 team in the country pre-season, we were touted to be on a quest to gain what we lost in that second half of the natty game the season prior, redemption was the word. We brought in key transfers, the whole Tar Heel nation was thrilled when we got Nance, a year ago this time it sure looked like apples to apples. I can explain it rather easily but I didn't post the apples to melons reply, you did so I asked that you explain it.

Well, maybe the most memorable play in my mind is when he got stuffed by the rim on a dunk attempt. It was a humbling block by the rim.
Bacot? Keep in mind, last season if RJ and Caleb were not scoring it had to be Bacot, with all the bad shots our back court was taking and all the good shots taken by the wrong guy (example Leaky taking treys) it really had to come down to pound the ball in to a Bacot defended by multiple defenders for at least as good a shot as we could get. For now, it does not look as if we need to rely as heavy on Bacot to score so not as much needs to go thru him as it has last couple seasons. But he gave us yet another double double vs St Augs, just need our double double machine to keep running thru every game we play this season as our steady rock that is there when we need it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT