ADVERTISEMENT

Silent Sam Toppled by Protestors

DlFh3IgW0AIjtOQ.jpg

Statue had to go. It would have been better if it had been removed in a more orderly manner, but given that there were no indications that any such removal was going to happen, I understand why it went down the way it did.

More personally interesting to me is whether or not Stonewall Jackson will be removed from the front of VMI barracks. When I was there, Rats were required to salute him every time we left barracks.

I'm surprised it lasted this long. It doesn't really accomplish anything by taking it down though. It's unfortunate that the vast majority of the protesters didn't know what the statue was really about. They just lumped it in with other civil war statues. Hopefully it's not too damaged and it can be moved to a museum.

Reactions: dgheel57
It's my understanding that the statue could not be moved legally due to the control of the State Historical Commission. I agree that it belongs in a museum and hopefully that is where it will find it's final resting site after any repairs that may be needed.

They should burn the whole campus down. That entire place is rife with institutional racism and white privilege. Matter of fact, the mostly white, affluent neighborhoods surrounding the campus should get some of this as well.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Mobs tearing down property is not the way to get it done, to me.
I think most reasonable people would agree on that. The problem, as several have already pointed out, is that there was gridlock addressing the issue through conventional legal means.

I guess the good news is that racism has now been eradicated.

Statue had to go. It would have been better if it had been removed in a more orderly manner, but given that there were no indications that any such removal was going to happen, I understand why it went down the way it did.

More personally interesting to me is whether or not Stonewall Jackson will be removed from the front of VMI barracks. When I was there, Rats were required to salute him every time we left barracks.
Just out of curiosity, can you explain why you feel it had to go?

And to your second paragraph, do you want Jackson gone as well?

I'm surprised it lasted this long. It doesn't really accomplish anything by taking it down though. It's unfortunate that the vast majority of the protesters didn't know what the statue was really about. They just lumped it in with other civil war statues. Hopefully it's not too damaged and it can be moved to a museum.

What's the statue really about?

I don't really feel like rehashing all of that in this thread. We had a five million page thread about it a while back. Feel free to read through that one.

....but you said it's different than the others. I think the Daughters of the Confederacy would disagree with you.

If what you're saying is that this is of just a plain soldier and not a general, I see that point. You're celebrating the common man who didn't really have political skin in the game...he just fought for his home. I get that.

However.

I also get why black people would want this taken down. Would a Jew want a statue taken down of a plain Nazi soldier who had no political skin in the game at all and was just defending his country? I'd say yes. Can we compare what the Nazi's did to the Jews to what rich white people did to black people? I'd also say yes.

They should burn the whole campus down. That entire place is rife with institutional racism and white privilege. Matter of fact, the mostly white, affluent neighborhoods surrounding the campus should get some of this as well.
Honest question, if the British had won the Revolutionary War, do you think King George would have allowed Colonists to erect statues of Washington, Hamilton, or even common soldiers?

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
Just out of curiosity, can you explain why you feel it had to go?

And to your second paragraph, do you want Jackson gone as well?

There really wasn't any compelling reason to keep it. Silent Sam was not an actual statue of a person nor did it have any real significance to UNC other than some alumni funded it back in 1913. So I can't provide a good reason to keep it and plenty of people can provide a good reason to take it down, so down it goes.

As far as Stonewall, it is different in that Stonewall actually taught at VMI prior to becoming a Confederate general. And not only was Stonewall in the Confederate army, but the entire student body fought a battle for the South. However my opinion is that Stonewall should be moved (while still remaining on post somewhere) and George Marshall statue should be put in front of old barracks. I also don't think Rats should be required to salute Stonewall.

There really wasn't any compelling reason to keep it. Silent Sam was not an actual statue of a person nor did it have any real significance to UNC other than some alumni funded it back in 1913. So I can't provide a good reason to keep it and plenty of people can provide a good reason to take it down, so down it goes.

As far as Stonewall, it is different in that Stonewall actually taught at VMI prior to becoming a Confederate general. And not only was Stonewall in the Confederate army, but the entire student body fought a battle for the South. However my opinion is that Stonewall should be moved (while still remaining on post somewhere) and George Marshall statue should be put in front of old barracks. I also don't think Rats should be required to salute Stonewall.
Thanks. Good post.

I can’t wait to see what the left tells the lemmings they should be upset about next.

Last edited:
Your mascot will become the “Rams”. Being called a Tar Heel will be deemed racist, and offensive because it refers to Confederate troops from N.C. and their courage in battle to not retreat, being said that “they fought like they had tar on their heels”. Now that will be a sad day, but it will come.

Your mascot will become the “Rams”. Being called a Tar Heel will be deemed racist, and offensive because it refers to Confederate troops from N.C. and their courage in battle to not retreat, being said that “they fought like they had tar on their heels”. Now that will be a sad day, but it will come.

Your mascot will become a cow and instead of the wolp fack you guys will be called the Moooers because, well, moo.

The mascot is already a ram.

Reactions: dirtyfredo
True. I’m sure they too were convinced to be angry about something that has no bearing on their life.

Eh, I'm not in the business of telling someone what they should or shouldn't be angry about. Esp when it comes to topics like our past slavery with black people.

Just me.

Eh, I'm not in the business of telling someone what they should or shouldn't be angry about. Esp when it comes to topics like our past slavery with black people.

Just me.

I’m not in the business of telling people what to be angry about either. I’m also not in the business of caring about manufactured anger.

Just me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT