ADVERTISEMENT

Silent Sam Toppled by Protestors

I think what they should do is just build some kind of race history museum on campus. You can put the statue there and other things connected to the university that have history, good or bad. For example, you could have an exhibit for Dean and his contributions to race relations and Charlie Scott for being the first black scholarship athlete. Maybe something talking about the first black people to go to UNC. I think most people would be ok with that.

Reactions: strummingram
I wish we would just get rid of this statue culture altogether. There are far too many statues going up lately, especially in college sports. It's inevitable that someone at some point is going to have a problem with the statue and in today's world we don't really need to see someone physically to learn about them. Just google them.
Good idea. Statues are what ancient cultures had to use because they lacked cameras.

I think what they should do is just build some kind of race history museum on campus. You can put the statue there and other things connected to the university that have history, good or bad. For example, you could have an exhibit for Dean and his contributions to race relations and Charlie Scott for being the first black scholarship athlete.

That could be an interesting idea. Would the museum honor several races, or would it focus on a particular one or two?

For instance, would Charlie be the only "first" scholarship athlete honored? Or would there be a place for the first Latino, Asian-American, White, Middle-Eastern, Native American, etc. scholarship athletes as well?

That could be an interesting idea. Would the museum honor several races, or would it focus on a particular one or two?

For instance, would Charlie be the only "first" scholarship athlete honored? Or would there be a place for the first Latino, Asian-American, White, Middle-Eastern, Native American, etc. scholarship athletes as well?
I think you could honor ever race. I just mentioned Charlie, because I knew he was the first black (and I would assume non white) athlete to get a scholarship. It wouldn't be just an athletics thing though. It can be anything related to race history that is connected to the university. UNC has a rich cultural history and all races have contributed to it.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
That's a very white person thought. The majority of black people would very much disagree with you, they don't think it's talked about enough.

The ironic thing is that the same people who claim to want to make race issues disappear, and make people "color-blind", are the same ones that perpetually bring racial differences to the forefront of discussions and debates.

Oh no. That’s where we were 20 years ago @Hark_The_Sound_2010. 20 years ago, the black movement was intent on getting people to “not see color”. And that’s what most of us did. But they’ve now done a complete 180 and they very much want white people to see color. But we can’t just see it. We’re supposed to see it, agree with their feelings that they continue to be marginalized and we are supposed to not argue against it. And to that I say, “f*ck that”. I’ll just go back to “not seeing color”. But the movement is making it difficult.

Last edited:
Oh FFS

'Silent Sam' to be reinstalled within 90 days, UNC BoG member says

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-ne...within-90-days-unc-bog-member-says/1393253906

I like this Goolsby fellow. These two quotes win:

"Criminals who destroyed state property at UNC and police who did nothing will be held accountable," Goolsby wrote.

"We will make sure the laws of our state are enforced," Goolsby said in a YouTube video. "We will not allow anarchy ot reign on our campuses."

Thank you Mr, Goolsby.

Boy oh boy,...I look forward to the shitstorm that is on the horizon.

Reactions: cletusnow
This is what happens when you don’t use the correct process to get it removed. They should have seen this coming tbh

Reactions: tarheel0910
Instead of tearing down property, work on changing this law:

"The 2015 law allows for an “object of remembrance” to be moved or removed in two circumstances: when necessary for preservation or “when necessary for construction, renovation, or reconfiguration of buildings, open spaces, parking, or transportation projects.”

The law says if a qualifying monument moves, it has to go to “a site of similar prominence, honor, visibility, availability and access…” The monument can’t go to a museum, cemetery or mausoleum unless that’s where it was originally."

That's basically saying "Confederate statues are staying."

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Instead of tearing down property, work on changing this law:

"The 2015 law allows for an “object of remembrance” to be moved or removed in two circumstances: when necessary for preservation or “when necessary for construction, renovation, or reconfiguration of buildings, open spaces, parking, or transportation projects.”

The law says if a qualifying monument moves, it has to go to “a site of similar prominence, honor, visibility, availability and access…” The monument can’t go to a museum, cemetery or mausoleum unless that’s where it was originally."

That's basically saying "Confederate statues are staying."
Yeah, they wrote the law so it basically couldn't be moved. I think if they would build a museum on campus like I mentioned, they would allow it to be moved though. It's just going to get torn down again, so might as well stop the cycle by moving it to something like that. It would still be a prominent placement on campus.

Oh no. That’s where we were 20 years ago @Hark_The_Sound_2010. 20 years ago, the black movement was intent on getting people to “not see color”. And that’s what most of us did. But they’ve now done a complete 180 and they very much want white people to see color. But we can’t just see it. We’re supposed to see it, agree with their feelings that they continue to be marginalized and we are supposed to not argue against it. And to that I say, “f*ck that”. I’ll just go back to “not seeing color”. But the movement is making it difficult.

Ehhhhh...I'd argue most people did not stop seeing color.

The idea that a majority of society has ever “not seen race” is laughably stupid. There’s a big difference between being colorblind and not being racist.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
Yeah, they wrote the law so it basically couldn't be moved. I think if they would build a museum on campus like I mentioned, they would allow it to be moved though. It's just going to get torn down again, so might as well stop the cycle by moving it to something like that. It would still be a prominent placement on campus.
It was a very important chapter in the school's history. It's the nation's oldest public university. All of us (I hope) are totally opposed to slavery then and now. But, we're aware that in 1861 it was not as understood as it is now. Just like many social issues. The Civil War is unique. You can honor their loss without honoring their cause.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It was a very important chapter in the school's history. It's the nation's oldest public university. All of us (I hope) are totally opposed to slavery then and now. But, we're aware that in 1861 it was not as understood as it is now. Just like many social issues. The Civil War is unique. You can honor their loss without honoring their cause.

There has to be a line though right? I’m not debating your point in this context, but I would argue there are times even honoring the loss could be wrong. I’m not sure you can necessarily separate the two if the soldiers volunteered because of the cause.

At what point would you no longer honor the loss of life or the cause?

There has to be a line though right? I’m not debating your point in this context, but I would argue there are times even honoring the loss could be wrong. I’m not sure you can necessarily separate the two if the soldiers volunteered because of the cause.

At what point would you no longer honor the loss of life or the cause?
Well... publicly? I can't say. I believe that every soldier who ever died in battle had a mother, father, child, wife, etc., who was never the same after the loss. So, as individuals, no line. As a collective, let the collective decide.

Ah, so GSD is that white guy that walks around saying "well I don't see color". One of the worst types.

Man, this GSD is a got damn legend. People talk about him and he hasn’t posted here in quite some time.

As for me, I never say “well I don’t see color”. I just choose not to see color. No need to explicitly state it.

So it seems to me if you’re honoring those who died for a certain cause then you’re defending that cause. Thats just the way i see it.

That is not accurate.

You don't necessarily honor the cause soldiers were fighting for when you honor the soldiers themselves.

When you honor soldiers who fought in battle, you're honoring young men who decided to fight (and sometimes die) for their society and what they believe in. That is always something worth honoring, regardless of how you feel about their society or their causes.

It's honoring the act of self-sacrifice itself.

On a meta level, these are important actions for any society to do. We honor soldiers because they are the last line of defense to ensure our society's survival. Soldiers run the very real risk of death and dismemberment. Society rewards them with undying honor, respect, and loyalty. This is advantageous. A society that doesn't do this is in it's very nature weaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terror Beard
It appears there will be a rally on campus or in the town of Chapel Hill tomorrow regarding SS . .

messageheader.jpg

We are writing to let you know that the University is preparing for a possible rally tomorrow about the Confederate Monument. We understand that the rally may be on campus at McCorkle Place and in the Town of Chapel Hill, and we are working closely with town officials and law enforcement to ensure the safety of our communities, which remains our highest priority. We respect and believe in the First Amendment, the Campus Free Speech Act and the rights of peaceful protestors.

We do not know for sure what groups may attend, but we are mindful that the current atmosphere is highly charged, and protests that begin peacefully do not always remain that way. For this reason, we urge you not to attend. For those who do attend, please know that we will do all we can to protect and keep everyone safe.

Depending on the size of the rally, streets may be closed and traffic may be rerouted around campus and the town. Please follow @UNC on Twitter for updates throughout the day.

We’ve recently learned that some students and others in our community are receiving threats as a result of Monday’s events, and we want you to know that we take all threats seriously. If you ever feel your safety is threatened, including on social media, contact police by dialing 911. We also have counseling services available for students, faculty and staff. During regular business hours, students are encouraged to call Counseling and Psychological Services at 919-966-3658. After hours, students may call 919-966-2281 for immediate assistance. Faculty and staff may contact our Employee Assistance Program 24 hours a day at 877-314-5841.

The ironic thing is that the same people who claim to want to make race issues disappear, and make people "color-blind", are the same ones that perpetually bring racial differences to the forefront of discussions and debates.
Oh boy, now we're getting taking points from the John Birch Society handbook. Way to up your game.

This shit is going to turn ugly and make the entire university look like a joke, or worse.

I guarantee you they’re going to end up forming a picket line around the pedestal. How long before someone chains themselves to the pedestal?

This shit is going to turn ugly and make the entire university look like a joke, or worse.

I guarantee you they’re going to end up forming a picket line around the pedestal. How long before someone chains themselves to the pedestal?
See... I think leaving the pedestal is a good compromise.

That is not accurate.

You don't necessarily honor the cause soldiers were fighting for when you honor the soldiers themselves.

When you honor soldiers who fought in battle, you're honoring young men who decided to fight (and sometimes die) for their society and what they believe in. That is always something worth honoring, regardless of how you feel about their society or their causes.

It's honoring the act of self-sacrifice itself.

On a meta level, these are important actions for any society to do. We honor soldiers because they are the last line of defense to ensure our society's survival. Soldiers run the very real risk of death and dismemberment. Society rewards them with undying honor, respect, and loyalty. This is advantageous. A society that doesn't do this is in it's very nature weaker.

A society that honors soldiers who died defending slavery is as weak as it gets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT