ADVERTISEMENT

SKJ transferring from Kentucky

Addition by subtraction. Diallo is terrible at the sport of basketball.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports are you talking about? Dude is an enormous talent who was just starting to get his bearings in the Tourney... exactly why I'm glad to see these UK kids go. He was a potential beast if he came back. He'd already have been gone if not for injury.

So evidently we are really going after SKJ as a transfer. I approve. I think he will be an excellent player as a Junior/Senior. Plus his window lines up well with Garrison/Sterling. That could be a very potent frontcourt.

I could see him as a very similar player to Brice.

Reactions: Archer2
So evidently we are really going after SKJ as a transfer. I approve. I think he will be an excellent player as a Junior/Senior. Plus his window lines up well with Garrison/Sterling. That could be a very potent frontcourt.

I could see him as a very similar player to Brice.

Brice is an ambitious comparison, but one thing I know for certain is he'd get more coaching and see more improvement by simply practicing under Roy for a year than he got in the past two seasons "playing" for Cal.

I'm not opposed to the prodigal son returning. Would he occupy a scholarship even while sitting out, though?

Brice is an ambitious comparison, but one thing I know for certain is he'd get more coaching and see more improvement by simply practicing under Roy for a year than he got in the past two seasons "playing" for Cal.

I'm not opposed to the prodigal son returning. Would he occupy a scholarship even while sitting out, though?
Yes, he would.

He was originally committed to UVA. He wasn’t coming here regardless. He’s not going to play much here. Soft.
https://247sports.com/college/north...ntucky-Transfer-Sacha-Killeya-Jones-117318343

From the link:
Yet after six months on the Cavs' commitment board, he opened up his recruitment and UNC promptly reached out. Killeya-Jones, in turn, made several trips to the Smith Center in the following week to play pickup with the team, ultimately receiving a scholarship from Roy Williams during a meeting on June 14, 2015.

Many other new offers came in, though two schools stood out for Killeya-Jones: Kentucky and UNC. And he freely admitted that he could not choose UNC so long as the outcome of the NCAA investigation was unresolved. Two months later, on Aug. 26, 2015, he committed to Kentucky.

Sounds like he was very interested in coming to UNC but the ncaa crap kept him away.

No offense taken, whispers I hear, 90% chance this kid becomes a Tar Heel...Jus sayin... I for 1 am happy about that!
I wish I could share your sentiments.
I agree with pretty much all guys we offer but not this time.

RW recruited this kid very hard but he choose to believe the scandal lies because he wanted to, and because he bought into the "Cal gets guys in the NBA" nonsense.

RW should let SKJ career die right where it's at.

https://247sports.com/college/north...ntucky-Transfer-Sacha-Killeya-Jones-117318343

Many other new offers came in, though two schools stood out for Killeya-Jones: Kentucky and UNC. And he freely admitted that he could not choose UNC so long as the outcome of the NCAA investigation was unresolved. Two months later, on Aug. 26, 2015, he committed to Kentucky.

Sounds like he was very interested in coming to UNC but the ncaa crap kept him away.
Window dressing

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
I wish I could share your sentiments.
I agree with pretty much all guys we offer but not this time.

RW recruited this kid very hard but he choose to believe the scandal lies because he wanted to, and because he bought into the "Cal gets guys in the NBA" nonsense.

RW should let SKJ career die right where it's at.

Harsh words, but true nonetheless. Dude had his chance to come here. Plenty of better fish in the sea in the 2019 class and we finally got the NCAA monkey off of our back. Not to mention Brown hasn't committed elsewhere just yet.

If he comes here, I'll root for him no differently, but I certainly won't lose sleep if he ends up somewhere else.

I still don't agree with the criticisms of "recruiting over" players.

Let's use a simplified 1-10 system to rate player effectiveness. I have no idea how good these two players will be next year, but for argument's sake let's say Seventh Woods is going to be a 6 PG next year and Ashton Hagans is going to be an 8 PG.

Is y'alls position really that Roy shouldn't take Hagans because he would be "recruiting over" Seventh? I think that's nonsense. You've got 13 scholarships, and you should use them to get the best players you can. Players don't get starting spots reserved for them because they agree to join the team.

I think players should earn their playing time, and if you don't want to compete with top talent for a spot don't go to a blue-blood school.
With all the frozen wealth involved, I'm not one iota surprised. I have zero problem with Roy thinking outside the box, it one of his biggest assets.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Killeya-Jones needs a scholarship for 2018 also even if he sits out. So, that takes the Brown scholarship.
SKJ mother is an employee of the school. Don't employees of the school kids get to go free if they can get into the school? My uncle is a professor at a college and both of his kids tuition was picked up by the school.

Our 3 big men were nothing but liabilities 90% of the time they were on the court and yet we have people on here scoffing at the idea of picking up a McDAA big man with a year of experience who will also spend a year with the program before suiting up. Thank god Roy is calling the shots and not this board

Our 3 big men were nothing but liabilities 90% of the time they were on the court and yet we have people on here scoffing at the idea of picking up a McDAA big man with a year of experience who will also spend a year with the program before suiting up. Thank god Roy is calling the shots and not this board
With fans like you who needs the dookies!!!! Hammering our 3 bigs like this makes you a total prick in my book!!!

Idk about liabilities but we definitely need more blue chip talent in the front court. I like Manley and Brooks for the future but would prefer having them come off the bench, just like a Maye and Bradley did for our championship team in 2017

Sterling Manley - 5.6 Points, 3.4 Rebounds, 0.9 TOs; 10 Minutes/Game
Garrison Brooks - 4.5 Points, 3.5 Rebounds, 0.9 TOs; 14 Minutes/Game
Sacha Killeya-Jones - 3.3 Points, 2.9 Rebounds 0.7 TOs; 13.7 Minutes/Game
Brandon Huffman - 1.6 Points, 1.4 Rebounds; 0.4 TOs; 3.4 Minutes/Game

Oh, and this is going on SKJs third year. Try again.

Sterling Manley - 5.6 Points, 3.4 Rebounds, 0.9 TOs; 10 Minutes/Game
Garrison Brooks - 4.5 Points, 3.5 Rebounds, 0.9 TOs; 14 Minutes/Game
Sacha Killeya-Jones - 3.3 Points, 2.9 Rebounds 0.7 TOs; 13.7 Minutes/Game
Brandon Huffman - 1.6 Points, 1.4 Rebounds; 0.4 TOs; 3.4 Minutes/Game

Oh, and this is going on SKJs third year. Try again.

A guy playing the same position as a bunch of lottery picks vs 3 guys who are the only big men on the roster and play by default. Great comparison though LOL

A guy playing the same position as a bunch of lottery picks vs 3 guys who are the only big men on the roster and play by default. Great comparison though LOL

lol oh my bad. I totally forgot all those Guards and Wings were taking minutes away from him. Not like Vanderbilt didn't even play half the season and only one of them averaged more than 10 Points a game. None of their bigs are even projected in the 1st round. Pick a better excuse.

I also like how you conveniently ignored that despite being a 5 Star Recruit + HS McDAA, he's worse than those very same 3 * freshman projects who are, by your definition, "the only big men on the roster and play by default" yet had the exact same amount of minutes as them.

He's hardly shown any improvement from his previous year despite getting double the minutes. But you'd have us believe he's going to be better off by not playing a year than those who are actually working and getting playing time for a year? That's all assuming we don't even land a 5 * big in 2019 of course, which we likely will.

I swear, the offseason provides some of the most hilarious posts around here.

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
I’m sure he regrets not getting a ring. He would be wise to avail himself of his second opportunity.

I just want to post this Rupp Rafter beauty in response to what you said. Because they seem to think him going to Kentucky handed us a championship.

"If he picks UNC, that is some immature epic level trolling by SKJ.

He could have picked UNC 2 years ago. Had he, he would have been the primary back-up PF in '16-'17. It would have been SKJ, not Luke Maye, checking in for Isaiah Hicks in the Elite Eight game against Kentucky. No way SKJ plays the type of game Maye did that night... so UK would have won that night, gone to the Final Four, and possibly won the 2017 National Title.

So SKJ has already indirectly contributed to UNC getting a title over UK. Now he might transfer there and contribute to their future post season runs as an upperclassman?"

Hard to compare stats for big men at UK vs big men at UNC. We run a system that provides many opportunities for big men to score in the post.

UK? Not so much. If you can't score easily in the PNR, you don't get many touches.

Reactions: gauchoheel
I just want to post this Rupp Rafter beauty in response to what you said. Because they seem to think him going to Kentucky handed us a championship.

He could have picked UNC 2 years ago. Had he, he would have been the primary back-up PF in '16-'17. It would have been SKJ, not Luke Maye, checking in for Isaiah Hicks in the Elite Eight game against Kentucky. No way SKJ plays the type of game Maye did that night... so UK would have won that night, gone to the Final Four, and possibly won the 2017 National Title.

So SKJ has already indirectly contributed to UNC getting a title over UK. Now he might transfer there and contribute to their future post season runs as an upperclassman?"

lol

Soooooo...... In short they are admitting it wasn't them rayuffs? I wish they would make up their minds. Sheesh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT