ADVERTISEMENT

Stackhouse

So a story about one of the greatest Tar Heels to lace them up and some members of the Family wondering if he might find a way back home was derailed because peeps are so sensitive that they have to attack once they see one word???? Incredible. The funny part is the entire premise is flawed in the first part since he used the word Racial not racist but nuance is always the first victim of hatred! (and he wasn't the "OP" so maybe that moniker was misunderstood as well!) I am sure some juvenile and extremely ignorant hate will be spewed at me for my comment but I really wish we could have one place in this world where peeps could actually discuss ideas without resorting to such childish rants and without the usage of such ignorant vocabulary!!

This place is largely free from the name calling and cursing so why can't our Mods ban peeps for resorting to it???? I will gladly debate the virtue of hating racism and not people with anyone who can hold a civil discussion, but I simply ignore those who are unwilling or incapable of adult conversations! 2 more added to the list, sigh...
Initially, I politely and rationally argued my totally reasoned opinion on this very complex social matter. Then @RoseHeel chimed in and called another user and I a string of unhinged pejoratives. Including: "deranged" "clown" "Boomer" "dumb" "c unt" "dogshit" and of course, everybody's favorite, "racist." That's seven insults in like a two paragraph post...

...but yea you're right, it was me from the start who engaged in "name calling" and "cursing." You literally can't be serious, you dbag.

I like the cut of @bIhawk’s jib. Welcome stranger. Don’t pay any attention to @RoseHeel. He’s an idiot.

But I need to clarify some things. @Heelicious is definitely not the virtue signaling type. He’s a good poaster that often calls out the silly ass virtue signaling on our off topic board; OOTB. @bIhawk should stop by that board. Warning, it’s a no holds barred kind of place so not for the emotionally weak.

With that said, I’m sure Stackhouse encountered some kind of prejudices. Like we all have. That’s life. I don’t attribute it to Nashville or The South in any way. In fact, my yankee friends from NYC, Long Island, Boston, etc, who came down south to go to school, tell me the north is far more overtly racist than the South. But regardless, Jerry is a big boy. I’m sure he can handle himself. Dude is a bad mofo.

Good luck to Jerry. I hope he gets another shot elsewhere.

Stack can go head to head with every Top 10 guy in America when it comes to Xs and Os. But the game today is about "Jimmy's and Joe's" and Vandy is a wasteland when it comes to recruiting. Dean Smith would have struggled in Nashville.
It is such a shame that a thread about a legendary and much loved Tar Heel has devolved in to a race debate? 😢

If yall don't mind, I would prefer to talk about Jerry Stackhouse! FTH, I said in my post some where above the race relations portion of this thread, that Stack has to first decide if he wants to be a college coach or a NBA coach. Your comment about it being about the Jimmys and Joes is what I wanted to speak to and why I used your post to reply to.

In the college game it is about recruiting players, retaining players in the era of the portal, and developing raw talent in to productive college talent. In the NBA, everyone is mega talented and mostly skill developed, the real key is more meshing egos of guys that were college stars in to something that looks like a team, some what like coaching a all star team where everyone wants the ball and is looking to score once they touch it. It is a very different job coaching in the NCAA and coaching in the NBA, just as coaching in high school is very different than coaching in college where MOST all college players were stars on their high school teams. To move forward Jerry needs to make that decision, now that he has tasted both worlds.

If what Jerry decides is that he wants to be a college head coach then he really should go to a big time program as an assistant, learn at the knee of a successful college head coach those things that he was not able to learn as a player for example recruiting and all the pitfalls involved with that. But Jerry really has to learn that the politics of relationships with folks like the media is critical to success, how important it is to utilize fans support that is many times sparked by the media's portrayal of the coach. He treated the media while at Vandy more like the enemy and that was a mistake (if he wants to be a college coach) but one I see to many former great pro players make when they try to be head coaches in college without spending the time as an assistant. Afterward I think it would be wise to spend 3 or 4yrs as a head coach at a smaller program in a smaller conference so that he can really establish exactly how he wants his teams to be identified, his method of how he wants his teams to play, what works and what doesn't via his decisions. Then go look for the bigger challenge... Not doing that destroyed Matt as a coach, would not want to see that happen to Jerry!

It is such a shame that a thread about a legendary and much loved Tar Heel has devolved in to a race debate? 😢

If yall don't mind, I would prefer to talk about Jerry Stackhouse! FTH, I said in my post some where above the race relations portion of this thread, that Stack has to first decide if he wants to be a college coach or a NBA coach. Your comment about it being about the Jimmys and Joes is what I wanted to speak to and why I used your post to reply to.

In the college game it is about recruiting players, retaining players in the era of the portal, and developing raw talent in to productive college talent. In the NBA, everyone is mega talented and mostly skill developed, the real key is more meshing egos of guys that were college stars in to something that looks like a team, some what like coaching a all star team where everyone wants the ball and is looking to score once they touch it. It is a very different job coaching in the NCAA and coaching in the NBA, just as coaching in high school is very different than coaching in college where MOST all college players were stars on their high school teams. To move forward Jerry needs to make that decision, now that he has tasted both worlds.

If what Jerry decides is that he wants to be a college head coach then he really should go to a big time program as an assistant, learn at the knee of a successful college head coach those things that he was not able to learn as a player for example recruiting and all the pitfalls involved with that. But Jerry really has to learn that the politics of relationships with folks like the media is critical to success, how important it is to utilize fans support that is many times sparked by the media's portrayal of the coach. He treated the media while at Vandy more like the enemy and that was a mistake (if he wants to be a college coach) but one I see to many former great pro players make when they try to be head coaches in college without spending the time as an assistant. Afterward I think it would be wise to spend 3 or 4yrs as a head coach at a smaller program in a smaller conference so that he can really establish exactly how he wants his teams to be identified, his method of how he wants his teams to play, what works and what doesn't via his decisions. Then go look for the bigger challenge... Not doing that destroyed Matt as a coach, would not want to see that happen to Jerry!
Solid post. One thing you're overlooking though is Stackhouse's gigantic ego. There's just flat out no way he would ever agree to being an assistant coach at the college level. From everything I've seen and heard from the guy, he likely thinks he should be the head coach at every top 10 program in the country. Regardless of how horribly he crashed and burned at vandy.... Lot of red flag character flaws a la Juwan Howard. Time to end this bullshit NBA to college coach experiment, which is one of the absolute dumbest movements I've witnessed in a long time.

I believe Lville has a pretty good coach, and he needs a few more years to change the culture of losing. I could see cutting him loose, but he seems to have the proper passion for the program, and he should be able to recruit. I would only let him go if I knew I had a better coach waiting for the job!
They fired him last week.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT