ADVERTISEMENT

(Super Regional) Stetson-UNC Game 1 Thread

Austin Bergner now in to try and end this contest as a reliever instead of a starter. Koos is the first batter he faces and the number three hitter in the lineup already with 3 hits fouls off 3 pitches before walking to load the bases.

Wilson the cleanup hitter and player of the year chases McGee to the fence in deep left but he comes up a few feet short of a grand slam and Carolina holds on for the 7-4 nail hitting victory.

Reactions: Archer2
That got stupid scary at the end.... I'm glad I was just reading the updates. Agree with those above who say we need to play cleaner tomorrow and moving forward.

A couple of errors, a couple of hit batters, a couple of passed balls. We need to commit less mental errors. They said the team that wins the opener advances to the CWS 79% of the time.
I think you can look at it as a net positive. Despite making a lot of miscues, we still were able to -- theoretically -- take their best punch with Gilbert and still come out on top to win Game 1. So from that standpoint, we clean up some mistakes tomorrow, and we should be in even better shape to win the game.

One thing I do worry about after today, it seems like we used a ton of arms to get through this game. Any concern about bullpen availability (especially Hiatt?) for Game 2 and, if needed, Game 3? Thoughts @Jarrod Hardy @tarheel0910 @IDUNK4HEELS et al?

Reactions: tarheel0910
I think you can look at it as a net positive. Despite making a lot of miscues, we still were able to -- theoretically -- take their best punch with Gilbert and still come out on top to win Game 1. So from that standpoint, we clean up some mistakes tomorrow, and we should be in even better shape to win the game.

One thing I do worry about after today, it seems like we used a ton of arms to get through this game. Any concern about bullpen availability (especially Hiatt?) for Game 2 and, if needed, Game 3? Thoughts @Jarrod Hardy @tarheel0910 @IDUNK4HEELS et al?
I'm not too worried about the pen. Hiatt had a three inning save last week and then pitched again. The others didn't throw too much today. All that being said, I'm hoping Luca can give us 6-7 good innings and it won't be a concern.

That is exactly what Fox has told the team: Stetson has one of the very best pitching staffs in the country, and if not for mental mistakes, we could have scored 10 runs. If we play to our best, we can win the while shebang. But if we make too many mistakes, we can be sent home.

Reactions: gregkb14
That is exactly what Fox has told the team: Stetson has one of the very best pitching staffs in the country, and if not for mental mistakes, we could have scored 10 runs. If we play to our best, we can win the while shebang. But if we make too many mistakes, we can be sent home.

Hate to say it with your Fedora hatred but I agree. Datres getting picked of certainly cost us.

I'm not too worried about the pen. Hiatt had a three inning save last week and then pitched again. The others didn't throw too much today. All that being said, I'm hoping Luca can give us 6-7 good innings and it won't be a concern.
I would think Hiatt would be about the last option tomorrow until the 9th if we are holding a lead and Daniels has been out there for awhile already.... If he pitches for any length of time tomorrow he would almost for sure be unavailable on Sunday and not sure you can take the gamble early tomorrow on not having your “closer” for a winner take all Game 3..

As you said O’Brien, Hutch and even Bergner didn’t throw a lot of pitches although I would assume Bergner would be game 3 starter unless Sugg occupies that spot.... Baum and Daniels well-rested for Game 2 in relief of Luca

Reactions: heelpharm
I would think Hiatt would be about the last option tomorrow until the 9th if we are holding a lead and Daniels has been out there for awhile already.... If he pitches for any length of time tomorrow he would almost for sure be unavailable on Sunday and not sure you can take the gamble early tomorrow on not having your “closer” for a winner take all Game 3..

As you said O’Brien, Hutch and even Bergner didn’t throw a lot of pitches although I would assume Bergner would be game 3 starter unless Sugg occupies that spot.... Baum and Daniels well-rested for Game 2 in relief of Luca
Yeah, my guess is Fox wouldn't want to use Hiatt unless absolutely necessary. I think we are in pretty good shape for tomorrow. I feel good with Baum and Daniels ready to go after Luca gives us 7 shutout innings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT