ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs. Canes game thread

RS FR Branch and true frosh Javontae Williams both have carried the ball. But frosh QBs must ride the pine.

Reactions: Archer2
Is everybody shocked that Fedora is refusing to give Fortin a shot?

If he’s smart he’ll transfer after this year anyways. Same with Ruder. There’s no good reason for them to stick around and ruin their careers.

How in the hell they ever agreed to that sum to pay that man is beyond me. Fedora did well, however. He's a genius to get that kind of money for one decent season! He'll never head coach for another FBS school.
Just pray that Bubba doesn't get the notion to offer him a raise.

Nationally televised game so now the whole country knows our HC is in over his head. No player worth his weight in shit would come play for this buffoon. Saw the story on the front page about the O-line coming together. They must have been coming together at the Golden Corral for dinner or something because tonite showed they weren't coming together on the field.

Fedora is owed a ton of money. Understood. But his buyout may be a cost of doing business. Apathy about UNC football has set in. All are now pretty much convinced that Fedora is a fraud. If you don't run him, attendance would be embarrassing next year. Along with that donations start to dry up. Recruiting just gets worse as your program appears lost. Not a good situation, but keeping him probably would cost more in the long run that paying him off.

Fedora is owed a ton of money. Understood. But his buyout may be a cost of doing business. Apathy about UNC football has set in. All are now pretty much convinced that Fedora is a fraud. If you don't run him, attendance would be embarrassing next year. Along with that donations start to dry up. Recruiting just gets worse as your program appears lost. Not a good situation, but keeping him probably would cost more in the long run that paying him off.

These are the important ideas to discuss.

We would need to the numbers to do so though. Idk what the revenues from football
games look like, or what rams club revenue looks like. It could be possibly that the hit by not firing him would be higher than the cost of firing him

dumpsterfire-1.jpg.cf.jpg

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Those lists are misleading. Roy makes plenty of money.

Roy makes plenty of money except from the university he’s won 3 National Championships for in 15 years, while playing in a 4th National Championship and going to 5 Final Fours. And when you sit down and look at it he very well could have gone to 8 Final Fours in 15 years when you include 2007, 2011 and 2012. Roy deserves his real worth from UNC ontop of everything else he makes because had he not left Kansas we’re more than likely Indiana with fewer National Titles right now.

Sure he does. But if you compare his salary with some of the other top paid coaches, he is grossly underpaid, especially considering his accomplishments.
Tell him not to continue to accept a hometown discount then. The same one that Dean always took. If Roy wanted more money, then he could get it.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Roy makes plenty of money except from the university he’s won 3 National Championships for in 15 years, while playing in a 4th National Championship and going to 5 Final Fours. And when you sit down and look at it he very well could have gone to 8 Final Fours in 15 years when you include 2007, 2011 and 2012. Roy deserves his real worth from UNC ontop of everything else he makes because had he not left Kansas we’re more than likely Indiana with fewer National Titles right now.
A smart company pays as little as they can. If Roy wanted to negotiate for more he could get it. He doesn't want to do that. He gets plenty of money from the Rams Club donors though. You can't just look at the salary paid directly by UNC.

If Roy wanted to negotiate for more he could get it. He doesn't want to do that. He gets plenty of money from the Rams Club donors though. You can't just look at the salary paid directly by UNC.
I agree he could get more money if he asked for it. Many of those coaches listed also get money from shoe contracts, donors, etc...

If we had a top 5 football coach who was being paid far less than far inferior coaches, I think you’d probably be saying we need to pay him more money. Just be glad Roy is happy to accept the “hometown discount”. He certainly doesn’t have to.

I don't see Roy as a guy who would complain about money, especially at this point in his career. He has it all - success, national titles and is coaching at his alma mater. And I'm so glad he is the leader of the Tar Heel program.

The biggest question for the UNC football program going forward is whether this can be a long term job with success. Can we get a coach who can consistently compete for ACC titles and who would also be happy enough here to not look for other jobs?

The in-state recruiting is solid, the facilities are good, and I think the administration would be willing to pay a guy enough to make him happy.

Can we get a coach who can consistently compete for ACC titles and who would also be happy enough here to not look for other jobs
Why does it have to be both though? If you told me we could hire a coach that would win 10+ games a year, but would leave in five years I would be fine with that. We also need to be honest with ourselves as fans and admit that we aren't a destination program for coaches.

Why does it have to be both though? If you told me we could hire a coach that would win 10+ games a year, but would leave in five years I would be fine with that. We also need to be honest with ourselves as fans and admit that we aren't a destination program for coaches.

I agree that UNC isn't a favored football destination for most head coaches. My question is will we ever be able to find the exception. Up here in Michigan, UM basketball is in a similar situation to our football program. It's a program that's had some success, but is and always will be overshadowed by the football team, especially now with Harbaugh. In 2007, they hired John Beilein as their coach. He's still there today and has actually produced far better results than the football program since he arrived in Ann Arbor. That's 12 years and there has been little talk of him leaving.

Can we find a coach like Beilein for our football program? If not, then I guess the 5 year cycle is the best we can hope for.

I agree that UNC isn't a favored football destination for most head coaches. My question is will we ever be able to find the exception. Up here in Michigan, UM basketball is in a similar situation to our football program. It's a program that's had some success, but is and always will be overshadowed by the football team, especially now with Harbaugh. In 2007, they hired John Beilein as their coach. He's still there today and has actually produced far better results than the football program since he arrived in Ann Arbor. That's 12 years and there has been little talk of him leaving.

Can we find a coach like Beilein for our football program? If not, then I guess the 5 year cycle is the best we can hope for.
We'll need to hire someone who is not a young up-and-coming coach. They aren't going to stay if they succeed. That's why I like Kiffin so much. In addition to being a good coach, I think he would stay long term. He's already had his dream job (USC) and it didn't work out.

Reactions: midline and MWHeels
I totally agree on Kiffin. If the money is right, I think he would be happy here. He would be able to bring in solid recruits and win enough games to satisfy the fan base. He's also had the big time job before and it ended on a tarmac. I highly doubt he would want to go through that again.

The more I think about Kiffin, the more I believe he would be an absolute monster here. No one doubts his ability to recruit, and he would certainly have access to quality players not only in-state but all around the south east. I also think he's learned a lot from his past mistakes and realizes that the high profile / high pressure schools don't always equal happiness. He can come here, win a lot of games, contend for ACC titles, make a lot of money doing it, and probably be content to stay here.

Last edited:
Dilly Dilly. Roy isn’t even a top 25 paid coach when he should be a top 3, at the very least top 5.
Thank God for alums who are very good at what they do. Mike Fox is another.

If I were a coach, I'd take considerably less money to coach UNC than anywhere else.

But we do not have that in football. For football, we must pay.

We'll need to hire someone who is not a young up-and-coming coach. They aren't going to stay if they succeed. That's why I like Kiffin so much. In addition to being a good coach, I think he would stay long term. He's already had his dream job (USC) and it didn't work out.
Kiffin wants to be in a state with a coastline - check. He wants to be in a Major conference - check. Because of kids post divorce, he almost certainly would prefer to stay in the southeast - check.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT