ADVERTISEMENT

Tar Heels vs. Hokies - the hurricane game thread

Our luck is the worst today. WE had nobody going in when VT had the worst punt snap possible.

Our O-line is incapable of run blocking. Our Rb's usually create what they get.

We would've put up 50 on offense today with a dry football

David M. HaleESPN Staff Writer
hale_david_m.jpg

Weather certainly hasn't helped North Carolina, but 8 of the Heels' 49 plays went for a loss, while just 4 of 56 have for Virginia Tech. Bud Foster's defense has done as much damage as the rain and wind.

One thing UNC needs badly is a defense. Something.... ANYTHING... resembling a defense.

Probably time to put Mitch and other key players on the bench , all we need now is a major injury.

Pitiful and all the words that mean the same thing. This is the worst I've seen this team play since we lost to ECU.

Reactions: yrusonvus
These guys had a chance to put UNC football back on the map today and next week. This is pathetic

Reactions: yrusonvus
I would like to revise my scholarship refund request to include the entire team, plus the coaches' salaries and endorsement cash, for this week

These guys had a chance to put UNC football back on the map today and next week. This is pathetic
I dunno that UNC football was ever on any map, but it ain't happening this year.

Chizik's defense looks as bad as any other cotton-ball-soft defense UNC has ever had. He hasn't got what it takes at all.

No excuses due to the elements. Va tech adapted quite well and we just got our asses whipped

I hope Crawford is all right though it did not look good. Very disappointed in the defense. My impression of Chizik was/is that he is a first rate coach yet our defense again is TERRIBLE.

Very poor game today from everyone.... coaches and players Deserved to lose this one.

Reactions: strummingram
Had to go to a wedding(what? It was rain, shine, or hurricane) and could only sneak a peek here and there. Damn, looks as if we stay in the locker room after the half. Wtf happen? Or, is this the emotional let down after two incredible wins.

Yes, I am very disappointed in the outcome of the game. I am especially disappointed in the O. But, I am not surprised. Our best inside runner not playing, our offense is finesse and not power football, the game was played in a gully washer and our opponent just so happens to be a team that is very good that also got a week bye to prepare. If this wasn't a "duh" outcome, really don't what would be. Time for us, the team and coaches to shake this off, put in the rear view window and concentrate on beating the dog crap out of highly ranked Miami at Miami.

1st coastal loss. And a bad one. We will regroup and be ok. We still win Coastal. Gotta trust, believe and support the team.

Go Heels!!

this team ain't beating miami, and miami isn't there yet.

the carolina team i quit watching in the 3rd qtr, quit in the 2nd qtr...they never even looked prepared for rain.
You might as well put an L beside the Miami game now. Save yourself the sorrow.

And, frankly, I'm ready for Chizik's resignation. UNC's defense gets worse and worse.

I can't understand this defense. Are we just that soft?
Obviously! Va Tech put up 34 points on us in the FLOOD waters! Now, granted, they had a very short field several times. But, even when they don't, they can't stop a charging butterfly. It's embarrassing and it never gets better.

Chizik's track record is hardly exemplary. Yes, he won the National Title... with Cam Newton as his QB. No Cam, no job!

when you practice against a finesse scheme, you tend to be soft, period.

people get misinformed about clemson, auburn, etc...they are deeper up front, but they also realize during games what they do best...larry says he doesn't script plays and doesn't concern himself about balance until after the season...not sure what to believe.

i do know this, when you run spread, you don't practice physicality...you might have physical players like smith and lawrence, but you aren't physical.

The team had a rough outing today but next week will be a opportunity to make up for the mess today. I see a tough week of practice and a win in Miami next weekend. I stand by my prediction and if I am wrong so be but I will always stand by my Tar Heels during their high of highs and their low of lows.

Chizik's track record is hardly exemplary. Yes, he won the National Title... with Cam Newton as his QB. No Cam, no job!
He also won a title at Texas. You people bitching about him need to get a little perspective. He hasn't even been here two years yet. The players that he has, or lack there of, were recruited for an entirely different scheme. We need some talent and that takes a few years. The biggest problem today was the offense and the fact that they couldn't move the ball, which gave tech great field position. We held them under 300 yards today. Everybody here would have been more than happy with that number before the game.

He also won a title at Texas. You people bitching about him need to get a little perspective. He hasn't even been here two years yet. The players that he has, or lack there of, were recruited for an entirely different scheme. We need some talent and that takes a few years. The biggest problem today was the offense and the fact that they couldn't move the ball, which gave tech great field position. We held them under 300 yards today. Everybody here would have been more than happy with that number before the game.
Under 300 yards because we were playing in a monsoon maybe?

And, I agree, the offense could do NOTHING! Tech's DC and their Defense made sure of that... along with the monsoon. And, yes, I realize Foster has spent his life at VT.

what's troubling is the commentators kept saying "mitch can't find an open receiver."

wonder if it had more to do with routes, effort getting open, predictable scheme vs a well-coached foster defense, etc.?...receivers should have the advantage in that weather.

Gets back to the play calling which was poor again yesterday. We don't seem to take field position, weather conditions, defensive adjustments into consideration when calling plays. At times we get into a rhythm and the plays flow well but it seems to take quite a bit for us to get into rhythm. Wide out pass in the wind that resulted in the first pick was a poor call. Tough pass to pull off for a few yards. Not picking up the first down on the first drive also set the tone and pumped up VT. We were moving the ball on that drive until the 3rd and 4th down fails. If we score a TD on that drive and go up 7, maybe the whole game is different. Would like to see MT under center when we are trying to pick up 1 foot for a crucial first down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT