ADVERTISEMENT

The Dean Smith System

FlaTarHeel

Hall of Famer
Feb 21, 2017
1. Ball movement, ball movement, ball movement.
2. Transition, transition, transition.(Even on made baskets)
3. Secondary break.
4. Back-door cuts
5. Pounding the ball inside.
6. Attacking the offensive boards.
7. Switching defenses.
8. Forcing offenses baseline into a trap.(My personal favorite)
9. 9-10 man rotation(My 2nd favorite)
10. ACC refs not intimidated by Kay(Lenny Wertz)

Drum roll.....King Rice babysitting Bobby Hurley

Last edited:
I watched every second of that game. Dean was the best. I often wonder what happens in the Final Four if UNC beats Kansas. That game and Dean getting his 2nd technical and shaking the hands of the Kansas players still haunts me. I would have loved to see that UNC team play dook or even UNLV for the Title. I would have liked their chances.

That UNC team was really loaded. Hard seeing Clifford Rozier and knowing how his story ended.

King Rice had Bobby Hurley’s number. An ironic twist most people don’t know about. King Rice’s son, Xander Rice played for Bobby Hurley, Sr at St. Anthony’s in his last year of coaching. Xander Rice is a Senior at Bucknell now and doing very well.

I would love to have seen ball movement like that from the 22-23 Heels!
Just look how little the ball touched the floor, they moved the defense with passes and when the ball touched the floor it was a purposeful act for a reason rather than this instinct of every pass caught by a player the first instinct is to drop a dribble or 2. Quick passing forces defenses to move, that is exactly what you want, to dictate the other teams movements and draw mismatches.

There was never a deficit or situation Coach Smith teams couldn't overcome.
The spacing and back door cuts were poetry in motion and he was always changing his defense.
With the athletes in the game today Hubert and staff need to bring this style back to Chapel Hill.

The spacing and back door cuts were poetry in motion and he was always changing his defense.
With the athletes in the game today Hubert and staff need to bring this style back to Chapel Hill.
brought back fond memories. Lynch is one of my all time favorites and that game showed why, he was a warrior! Dam we played a lot of zone and what 9-10 deep. great stuff, thanks for posting

Did they call Corliss Williamson Big Nasty or Tractor Trailer? Or both. I had forgot him.

Ball movement----->Back screens
Half-court pressure/Ball denial----->Turnover
Transition----->DUNK

1. Ball movement, ball movement, ball movement.
2. Transition, transition, transition.(Even on made baskets)
3. Secondary break.
4. Back-door cuts
5. Pounding the ball inside.
6. Attacking the offensive boards.
7. Switching defenses.
8. Forcing offenses baseline into a trap.(My personal favorite)
9. 9-10 man rotation(My 2nd favorite)
10. ACC refs not intimidated by Kay(Lenny Wertz)

Drum roll.....King Rice babysitting Bobby Hurley
I always thought the secondary break was Roy's thing. Love the video.

DES was the best coach college has ever seen in any sport! Basketball knowledge and innovation alone would vault him to the top, but as a human being he stood head and shoulders above most! He is unique and we are so blessed we can trace our coaching lineage directly back to him.! DES-Gut-Doh-Roy-Hubs! For the most part this is a group of outstanding humans who also tend to be good at our favorite game! Doh is the outlier and Hubs is still growing but nobody can claim such a continuum of peeps to be proud of!

The ball movement and cutting are just so nice to watch
Rick Fox has always been my favorite Tarheel
You forget just how good George Lynch was….
not me. I'm on record here as positing that he's responsible for a Championship. He would just plain not accept losing as much as and moreso than about any other Carolina player that played under Dean. I love that guy.

DES was the best coach college has ever seen in any sport! Basketball knowledge and innovation alone would vault him to the top, but as a human being he stood head and shoulders above most! He is unique and we are so blessed we can trace our coaching lineage directly back to him.! DES-Gut-Doh-Roy-Hubs! For the most part this is a group of outstanding humans who also tend to be good at our favorite game! Doh is the outlier and Hubs is still growing but nobody can claim such a continuum of peeps to be proud of!
Dean was simply the best there was as a basketball coach, may well be the best there ever will be. He just went about things the right way with never a hint of scandel. I always saw Dean as more of a defensive minded coach than offensive minded yet some of his most intriguing innovations came on the offensive end as in 4Cs forcing the NCAA to put in a shot clock, his switching defenses, his trapping. Opposing teams knew full well what Dean's teams were going to do, they could not stop it.

Dean was simply the best there was as a basketball coach, may well be the best there ever will be. He just went about things the right way with never a hint of scandel. I always saw Dean as more of a defensive minded coach than offensive minded yet some of his most intriguing innovations came on the offensive end as in 4Cs forcing the NCAA to put in a shot clock, his switching defenses, his trapping. Opposing teams knew full well what Dean's teams were going to do, they could not stop it.
excellent post!

Reactions: John_Mexico
With the HS talent Hubert and staff is getting so far, if they can "successfully" run half the stuff Dean ran we will cut the nets down a few times during this tenure.

Too much emphasis gets put on Dean’s “only” 2 championships. Coaches cant make the ball go in the basket. In terms of getting a group of players to consistently play your style/system/philosophy there has never been a better coach. His teams didnt win every game but they always played fast and always played at maximum effort. That’s really all a coach can control

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT