ADVERTISEMENT

The Dean Smith System

check out episode 3 of season 2 of winning time on hbo. Most of it is about bringing Mitch Kupchak to the Lakers and they're like "what does Dean Smith think about the guy". Shows you how much the whole basketball world thinks of him.

"With the 9th pick in the 1994 draft the Boston Celtics select Eric Montross from the University of North Carolina" - David Stern

R.I.P Big E 🙏

Reactions: Heels5150
When I look thru this thread I see many examples of the "Carolina Way" rather than Carolina basketball or Dean's approach to games. I offer this because to many times over the last few years I have seen the Carolina Way be used as the same as Carolina Basketball.

The Carolina Way is like a huge family gathering, you become a member of that family, that family that has the current head coach at the head of the table with a portrait of Dean hanging and known by all as the beloved founder. Just as any head of a family, he cares for every member and every member cares about the other members. They don't just stay in contact, it is much deeper, it is in how you treat your own brother or father as opposed to being a club member. You actively look to help your family in what ever they need, family is always there for you. NBA players coming back to scrimmage and teach current players is just 1 example of so many. You also know, you treat family members the same you enjoy the success they gain but you are there when they need help and they do all they can to help you, Of course, every family has those bad seeds, members that act poorly, you try to help as best you can but sometimes they need to learn the hard way if they refuse your help.

Carolina basketball, you can call it the Carolina approach is about winning games, how you prepare and go about doing that, things like running breaks, trapping defenses, even pointing to the passer. In both there is a strong degree of selflessness, it being about something much bigger than you, that is the string that ties it all together. Few and really not likely any kids come to play for UNC actually realize what they have joined but in a short time begin to realize, I joined a team to play ball for a year or 2, I didn't realize this was actually a commitment for life that I am so happy to have made. That kid will only play basketball for a limited number of years but he is family for life and men that at one time were his heros are now his good friend and looking to help him in any way he needs.

The Carolina Way is like a huge family gathering, you become a member of that family, that family that has the current head coach at the head of the table with a portrait of Dean hanging and known by all as the beloved founder. Just as any head of a family, he cares for every member and every member cares about the other members.
2020_jun22_lastsupper.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT