ADVERTISEMENT

The GREATEST comback in college basketball history.....

So many things went "our way" in that entire few seconds...like Bobby Jones stealing the inbounds pass under our own basket......

It is amazing that this comeback was accomplished without the 3pt field goal.
I was 11 years old when this game was played. My best friend and I gave up on
the game and went out to shoot basketball. My friend's
Dad continued to watch the game and called us back in when the game went to
overtime. The Heels got down by 4 (I think) in overtime and we thought they
would surely lose, but we didn't dare go back outside. Finally when the
Heels won, we went back outside and I was Bobby Jones and my friend
was David Thompson and it was UNC vs. moou. My friend was younger
so he always had to be moou even though he was just as fanatical about
UNC as I was. Little did we know that UNC was about to go on a great
era of success with Phil Ford coming in the next season.

This post was edited on 3/2 2:22 PM by mahncpa1

Still is and always will be one of the Top Five Moments in UNC basketball history to me. I was there and it was an amazing thing to watch Dean E. Smith work the clock. Even more amazing was the shot that "Sweet D" made in regulation to tie the game. Of course UNC won in OT. What a moment and what a memory...

Originally posted by keysersosay#1:

occurred 40 years ago TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was watching this in the frat house and literally JUMPED out of my chair when Sweet D his that 35 footer.

Man what a moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" UNBELIEVABLE "!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember it well because we had to go to school that saturday to make up a snow day, and we fortunately got released at lunchtime....I was walking home from school, and stopped by an old store where several oldtimers generally gathered every day....The owner of the store had the game on the radio, and I listened to those last 17 seconds at the store before litterally running home to catch the overtime victory by Carolina.....It's funny that a lot of folks think that shot by Walter Davis won the game, rather than tie it....Of course, the Tarheels were not going to be denied in overtime after that epic and historic comeback.....Ahhhh.....The memories!.....I too may have went outside after the game to shoot some basketball myself because as a teenager back then: It was just too hard to sit still after that game was over...lol!

Still remember Woody shouting over the radio......"UNBELIEVABLE", right before I sprinted to the house to catch the ending!

Agree that it's a basketball memory that will likely never be matched because as mentioned above:There was no 3 point shot, or shot clock back then.....Still hard to believe that the Tarheels were losing by 8pts with 17 seconds left in regulation,,,,

Also, remember Walter Davis saying later that he tried that same shot the next day in practice, and shot an air ball....Still amazing!

I was actually studying up in Granville Towers during the game, didn't get anything done as all eyes were on the television. I remember students making it already back to Granville from Carmichael all discussed and entering the tv room all pissed off and I am jumping up and down yelling we are coming back. Damn good thing we won eventually. A loss in OT would not have had the same historical significance. And if the 3-point line had been in place we would have won in regulation. Fond memories not only of the game but my date the next night.
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/2 11:02 PM by UNC-75

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT