ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Hatton

ACokeForRoy

Senior
Nov 12, 2014
Sandy Springs, Ga
Any info on what's going on with Hatton? Prince is starting in his place and Hatton hasn't practiced this week. Kap says "he's working through some things...". Hope its nothing serious. Can't take another hit on the O-line.

Powell mysteriously didn't play on Saturday either with a similar comment, "personal issues."

Not sure what's going on and guess we won't know but here we have 2 starters not even practicing all of the sudden. Maybe it's academically related?

But why not practice at all?

Powell mysteriously didn't play on Saturday either with a similar comment, "personal issues."

Not sure what's going on and guess we won't know but here we have 2 starters not even practicing all of the sudden. Maybe it's academically related?

But why not practice at all?
Academically related this early in the semester? Not very likely.

Tommy was highly regarded and we were all hopeful he would be another good UNC lineman. Working through some things sounds serious, IMO and as mentioned above, two players citing the same issue?

the difference is that Tommy played until the final snap, so at least he wasn't injured badly late in the game. Powell just went from warming-up to not being in the gm at all. Weird stuff.

Fed's refusal to discuss injuries drives fans crazy and yes, I realize that's a very short drive for some of us. But if a player is having personal issues, hopefully the staff will just say so and hopefully fans will respect the player's privacy. He had obviously impressed the staff in the preseason and we certainly need him and Powell back on the field.

Fed's refusal to discuss injuries drives fans crazy and yes, I realize that's a very short drive for some of us. But if a player is having personal issues, hopefully the staff will just say so and hopefully fans will respect the player's privacy. He had obviously impressed the staff in the preseason and we certainly need him and Powell back on the field.
Personally, I've never gotten upset or bent out of shape about Fedora refusing to release player injury updates. He thinks that helps him team, so that's his prerogative. However..........you better win if you do stuff like that. "Gimmicky" stunts like that quickly turn the media against you -- if you're not winning -- and they'll write less-than-glowing articles about you often once you start losing, and that will in turn accelerate you losing the fanbase.

So again, it doesn't bother me that he does that. But, I'm not naive enough to ignore the fact that it gives ammo for media and fans to hate on him, and quite frankly, after this week's loss, he doesn't need extra reasons for media and fans to be unhappy with him.

So again, it doesn't bother me that he does that. But, I'm not naive enough to ignore the fact that it gives ammo for media and fans to hate on him, and quite frankly, after this week's loss, he doesn't need extra reasons for media and fans to be unhappy with him.
Personally, I'd like to see him be a little more forthcoming re: injuries. I understand it's his prerogative to not do so and perhaps he feels it give him a slight advantage by making it harder for opponents to game plan for UNC. I tend to think that any advantage gained is minimal at best, but I'm not the head coach. I do agree that it gives the press and fans a reason to beotch and moan.

As for the highlighted portion of your post, Lord knows that's the truth.

Personally, I've never gotten upset or bent out of shape about Fedora refusing to release player injury updates. He thinks that helps him team, so that's his prerogative. However..........you better win if you do stuff like that. "Gimmicky" stunts like that quickly turn the media against you -- if you're not winning -- and they'll write less-than-glowing articles about you often once you start losing, and that will in turn accelerate you losing the fanbase.

I'm with you here. If you want to act like Belichick, you better win like Belichick.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Fed says Hatton and Powell will be back with the team on Tuesday. Anybody know anything on Drennon's injury status?.

Fed says Hatton and Powell will be back with the team on Tuesday. Anybody know anything on Drennon's injury status?.
Still a mystery, but hopefully he's back soon!! If he misses too many more games, you have to start to consider a medical redshirt, especially since our two toughest games left (Pitt and FSU) are in 2 weeks and 3 weeks, respectively. If he misses both of those, I say sit him for the season if he's willing.

Having all 3 of those guys fully healthy and mentally raring to go could be a big deal for us the rest of the way.

Apparently they are back and this related to some off-field antics. Don't know what it was but Fedora says they will be back for the next game.

Antics implies they got arrested or something, which isn't the case.
I don't think he was implying that they were arrested or behaving in some way illegally. If they were we'd know that. Antics could imply they were joking around too much, goofing off at practice or even possibly not taking something seriously that they are expected to be serious about. Of course since I don't really even know for sure some type of antics even took place or even if personal issues were at play, it doesn't matter what I think.

Reactions: Archer2
I don't think he was implying that they were arrested or behaving in some way illegally. If they were we'd know that. Antics could imply they were joking around too much, goofing off at practice or even possibly not taking something seriously that they are expected to be serious about. Of course since I don't really even know for sure some type of antics even took place or even if personal issues were at play, it doesn't matter what I think.
When I hear the word 'antics' I think of things that are not law-breaking but can get you a bit of censure or punishment.

Reactions: Archer2
I just quoted someone else's term "antics" who appeared to know more. I don't know anything specific and did not mean to suggest there was anything criminal involved.

Just heard on the radio that a UNC sophomore is claiming a FB player raped her and she has gone public because she is frustrated with the way the case is moving. .I don't know if this is related because player's name wasn't given.

Just heard on the radio that a UNC sophomore is claiming a FB player raped her and she has gone public because she is frustrated with the way the case is moving. .I don't know if this is related because player's name wasn't given.

She's accusing Allen Artis. Looks like the prosecutor declined to press charges and she's upset. She says she went to the hospital and so presumably there is a rape kit. Perhaps there is no evidence of force and if that's the case, the authorities may believe it was consensual or just they don't have sufficient corroborating evidence to move forward.

Anyone know anything on Hatton?

Fedora said he thought he'd be back by Tuesday and he's not. Chizik said he still has some things he needs to do and is working on that.

Is this academically related? Did he go home and isn't in school? Or what?

Anyone know anything on Hatton?

Fedora said he thought he'd be back by Tuesday and he's not. Chizik said he still has some things he needs to do and is working on that.

Is this academically related? Did he go home and isn't in school? Or what?
Yeah, this situation is a bit troubling to me. Powell is back so that's good news but I sure would like to see Tommy back on the field.

I also thought it was interesting to hear Gene say that Dalton was not playing at nearly the level that he was at the end of last year and that it was going to take time for him to get back to that same level. Thankfully, guys like Fox and Strowbridge are showing they're ready to play and provide some quality depth on our DL. If we can get this unit healthy, I think it can be pretty darn good by the second half of the season.

Also saw Prince was starting this week.

Last edited:
Hatton is back in Chapel Hill.
RH, do you know if he was able to maintain his enrollment for the semester? Not suggesting that was ever in jeopardy I've just lost track of how long he was away from class, if at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT