ADVERTISEMENT

TOS says we are after Durkin

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Maybe Fedora reads THI, because I am not alone in having called for that very move, long before Koenning was released.

Durkin would be awesome, but he will almost certainly have better offers

I was saying this to Woad when people were saying go after Muschamp.Just never knew his name until after.

And also maybe we can pay a little more with this being the last year we owed Butch money

Durkin made $500k last year. Koenning was paid half that. Don't hold your breath on this one, although Fedora gets credit for trying. He has a few other tricks up his sleeve as well.

Originally posted by uncboy10:
Durkin would be awesome, but he will almost certainly have better offers
Here is a way a UNC offer could be great for Durkin: he was an assistant under Urban Meyer and Will Mushcamp. His scuccesses now will be attributed by many to 1 or both. But if Durkin comes to UNC and buolds a good D after we have seen, he will be rated worthy of the Broyles Award.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Durkin made $500k last year. Koenning was paid half that. Don't hold your breath on this one, although Fedora gets credit for trying. He has a few other tricks up his sleeve as well.
We paid VK over 500K...

TOS article also said the UNC administration gave Fedora a chance to try with a competitive financial package. We now have extra money maybe with Butchs payout or payoff now over.

I think we could generate an extra 500k of revenue to pay it just by being that much better.

Half a million in the course of a football season isn't that much cheese. There's no doubt room for improvement in the attendance area so it shouldn't be that hard...

Sorry RH but that's incorrect. Vic was paid more than Durkin last year, and our final payment to BD will be issued in Jan, IIRC. There is money available to offer as much as $650K to a DC...but it won't take that much IMO.

I assume everybody rememebrs The Dude of WV. I would not be suprised to learn he has commented on this possibility already. His pathlogical desire to see the ACC obliterated from the face of the earth began with hios hatred of UNC - the ACC school that seemd to be comsume about a third of his hatred for the entire ACC.

Keep in mind things written by The Dude during the last conference expansions, the words and phrases he used over and over as you read these anonymous tweets:

Follow

Hear there are reports of UNC / Fedora targeting DJ Durkin of Florida for DC. Sources w knowledge tell us that is not likely to happen.
8:26 PM - 14 Dec 2014

Follow

The situation at Florida is quite fluid. Would look for that to firm up this week. Will update as things become clear.
8:26 PM - 14 Dec 2014

Sorry, guys. I'm obviously just working off the $ amounts from the USA Today database.

My reaction to that news is a) that was a lot of money to pay for a crappy product and b) I'm encouraged we seem to have the financial ability to compete for Durkin if that's who we want. The question might come down to whether McElwain wants to keep him on staff. Looking at the UF site, there's no indication one way or the other what McElwain intends to do there.

Incidentally, here's a look at the defensive starters (per Rivals) who Durkin had to work with at Florida based on their Rivals star ratings.

DE * * *
DT * * * * *
NT * * * *
DE * * * * *
LB * * * *
LB * * * *
LB * * * *
CB * * * * *
CB * * * * *
S * * * *
S * * * *
Average: 4.3 stars

UNC's projected starters next year include nine 3-stars and two walk-ons.

tell ya what, i love the fact that fedora is sounding flexible to changing systems...he's saying he's been evaluating all season, props to him.

Was on the Gator message boards and there is no mention of Durkin being retained or even being considered by the new coach. The Aggie boards are mentioning other people as well with no mention of Durkin.

Originally posted by 94tarheel:
Was on the Gator message boards and there is no mention of Durkin being retained or even being considered by the new coach. The Aggie boards are mentioning other people as well with no mention of Durkin.
I think some have thought that McElwain might want to keep Durkin because McElwain is a former OC and having a DC who knows the SEC could help McElwain hit the ground running. But I would think that if McElwain wants a DC with SEC experience and ties, he is likely to pick the brain of his former boss Nick Saban.

Durkin has been at Florida under 2 coaches. Stay at the samne school under 3, and almost all ADs will look at you not asa guy to be their DC or even HCm but as a Lifer at that school. Durkin needs to leaave Gainesville. And he probably needs a ne wleague to learn about and from. And he will best serve his lomng term reputation by taking over a weaker D and elevating it.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
I think some have thought that McElwain might want to keep Durkin because McElwain is a former OC and having a DC who knows the SEC could help McElwain hit the ground running. But I would think that if McElwain wants a DC with SEC experience and ties, he is likely to pick the brain of his former boss Nick Saban.

Durkin has been at Florida under 2 coaches. Stay at the samne school under 3, and almost all ADs will look at you not asa guy to be their DC or even HCm but as a Lifer at that school. Durkin needs to leaave Gainesville. And he probably needs a ne wleague to learn about and from. And he will best serve his lomng term reputation by taking over a weaker D and elevating it.
I think we have a real shot at getting this guy.

Originally posted by lettheledout:
Geoff Collins to FLA as DC. Durkin may be close to happening. One can wish!
Well at least we know that Durkin is not staying at Florida. Hopefully he makes a decision soon for the
Heels and can get started bringing recruits to the Hill!!

Originally posted by lettheledout:
Geoff Collins to FLA as DC. Durkin may be close to happening. One can wish!
I had a feeling that Durkin was not someone McElwain wished to retain.

Collins leaving Miss St shoild make it even easier for Dan Mullins to take certain offers, such as from Michigan.

Originally posted by heelbent:
I think we have a real shot at getting this guy.
Maybe, and I'd love to get him...but I hear he's not the top of the wish list.
Yeah, I have heard a similar rumor. And I will say here what I said when I heard it. Sounds like "couldn't hire, so really wanted X" talk.

There are other good options, but you don't put a DC with two top 10 defenses, who was rivals recruiter of the year in 2012, below anyone.

I don't know, Blue. I heard if Odom takes the Mizzou job Durkin is the guy. Take that for what it's worth though, lol.

I don't know, Blue. I heard if Odom takes the Mizzou job Durkin is the guy. Take that for what it's worth though, lol.
Ok, odd, that is what I heard as well. That lends some legitimacy to it. Did hear Odom just wowed in his interview.

Even so, how do you pass on two top 10 defenses, in the SEC, and a recruiter good enough to win recruiter of the year? That, and Durkin is the defensive equivalent of Fedora, he wants to have pressure on every down, attack, attack, attack.

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:

Ok, odd, that is what I heard as well. That lends some legitimacy to it. Did hear Odom just wowed in his interview.

Even so, how do you pass on two top 10 defenses, in the SEC, and a recruiter good enough to win recruiter of the year? That, and Durkin is the defensive equivalent of Fedora, he wants to have pressure on every down, attack, attack, attack.
Based on my (albeit limited) knowledge of both, sounds like we couldn't go wrong with Odom or Durkin.

Barry Odom is a Mizzou grad. I can't see him turning down his alma mater, and his mentor, to take the UNC job.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Based on my (albeit limited) knowledge of both, sounds like we couldn't go wrong with Odom or Durkin.
I favor Durkin, but I'd take Odom in a heartbeat.

I don't really see how this is a debate (Durkin vs Odom)......One has coached two top 10 defenses and was national recruiter of the year and the other hasn't. Unless we just didn't offer enough to the first, then I don't know why we would look at the second. Come on down Coach Durkin!!!

GO HEELS!!!

Tim

Originally posted by TimBornBlue:

I don't really see how this is a debate (Durkin vs Odom)......One has coached two top 10 defenses and was national recruiter of the year and the other hasn't. Unless we just didn't offer enough to the first, then I don't know why we would look at the second. Come on down Coach Durkin!!!

GO HEELS!!!

Tim
Because by all indications, Odom is a (quickly) rising star.

Originally posted by Lawyer Mike:
UNC should try and get into Florida like Clemson does. I would think Durkin would help there.
Durkin recruited North Carolina for UF and nabbed a bunch of local guys for the Gators. Also recruited Florida, so he's a great fit from that perspective.

Sounds like Odom is heading to Missouri, which may leave UNC in a battle with Texas A&M for Durkin. It's been really quiet though so who knows.

Originally posted by Lawyer Mike:
UNC should try and get into Florida like Clemson does. I would think Durkin would help there.
Durkin recruited North Carolina for UF and nabbed a bunch of local guys for the Gators. Also recruited Florida, so he's a great fit from that perspective.
As you know, recruiting N.C. players to UF is a whole lot different than recruiting Florida players to UNC. I'm not saying he can't do it; I'm just saying it's a lot more difficult.

Send me out on the recruiting trail and even I could nab a handful of 4*'s for Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT