ADVERTISEMENT

TOS says we are after Durkin

Originally posted by heelbent:

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
Footballrumormill says Gene Chizek is also a candidate for our next DC.
I know a message board on TOS has a thread about Chizek but no one I talk to has mentioned him.
They proabbly got it from footballrumormill, which at times says something true before anyone else, and at other times seems to make stuff up to get hits.

I wouold be more than OK with Chizek. Overall, I think he can never be more than a slightly above average HC, but he is an above average DC who at times seemed to be in the great DC category. He is very well liked by other coaches and players, ando so could assaemble a gopod D staff (assuming he was allowed to do so) and draw talented players.

IMO he's be a home run hire. But isn't he still getting like a gazillion dollars a year from Auburn?

IMO he's be a home run hire. But isn't he still getting like a gazillion dollars a year from Auburn?
Probably. But if you are a eral coach, you want to coach. And Chizek is going to need to show some major stuff as a DC to get another shot as a P5 HC. Rebuilding the worst UNC D in history would do the trick.

And the same kind of logic applies to Durkin's future. He inherited a 1st rate D at Florida. In rebuilding the UNC D, he would prove to ADs that he can do all the hard work to rebuild. That will make him much more attractive to the wise ADs.

I read he's still owed 2.5 million more from Auburn, and he'll receive it this year (2015)

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by gteeitup:
thigpen and chizik were together at auburn, no?

this could be very interesting.
Thig was with Chizik during Chizik's entire four-year Auburn tenure. Coached safeties the first 3 years and linebackers the last year.
Thig is a very good recruiter. Chizek as Assocate HC and DC with Thig as RC and LB coach would be great.

But so would Durkin as DC and Lawing as Associate HC and DL coach.

Either pair would make me very happy.

Welp, colored me uninformed, lol. Was just told that Chizik is indeed being courted by UNC, and that, at least on the surface, Chizik seems to be listening.

What I don't get is why is he listening? If he's owed 2.5 mil as was suggested above why take a job? Whatever he makes here comes directly off the top of that buy-out, at least that's how it usually works.
This post was edited on 12/19 1:42 PM by heelbent

As bad as our defence has been the past couple of years, anyone could use UNC as a resume builder.

Welp, colored me uninformed, lol. Was just told that Chizik is indeed being courted by UNC, and that, at least on the surface, Chizik seems to be listening.

What I don't get is why is he listening? If he's owed 2.5 mil as was suggested above why take a job? Whatever he makes here comes directly off the top of that buy-out, at least that's how it usually works.
This post was edited on 12/19 1:42 PM by heelbent
2 possibilities. 1 - his buyout could be that nothing comes off it from a new salary, and 2 - he could be willing to take the job for next to nothing just to make Auburn pay and still get back into coaching.

Here is a factoid about Chizek that may help Fedora land him: a bunch of the staff we have had under Frdora was at Middle Tennessee at some point. Chizek spent 2 years there.

Here is a factoid about Chizek that may help Fedora land him: a bunch of the staff we have had under Frdora was at Middle Tennessee at some point. Chizek spent 2 years there.
Chizik was the co-DC at Texas for Mack's national championship team in 2005.

Coaching seems to be a very small world.

If Chizek beocmes our DC, there will be many people who will never figure out how, with Wuffies asssuming that the UNC Mafia Conspiracy made an offer he couldn't refuse. And the answer will be the Middle Tennessee and Mack Brown connections.

If Chizek beocmes our DC, there will be many people who will never figure out how, with Wuffies asssuming that the UNC Mafia Conspiracy made an offer he couldn't refuse. And the answer will be the Middle Tennessee and Mack Brown connections.
Nah, I am going to tell the wolpfies I know that UNC, the ACC, and the NCAA got together and decided to destroy doughboy off the bat, and ordered chizik here to help ensure that he fails miserably. And that the deal was sealed with the NC governor and the US President called Chizik to encourage him to take it.

Somebody hold me.

Chizik might actually happen. The discussions are beyond the "are you interested" stage.

Personally, being a Tar Heel fan that has learned not to get my hopes up I just can't see this becoming a reality, but oh sweet Lord if it does I'm gonna grab some popcorn and plant my butt in front of crackride just to watch the inbeds lose their teeny, tiny minds.

It would be nothing short of UNC telling the Kanes and Professor Croissants of the world to eat it. Just the thought of that happening is a beautiful thang.

Fed needs to get this done.

Somebody hold me.

Chizik might actually happen. The discussions are beyond the "are you interested" stage.

Personally, being a Tar Heel fan that has learned not to get my hopes up I just can't see this becoming a reality, but oh sweet Lord if it does I'm gonna grab some popcorn and plant my butt in front of crackride just to watch the inbeds lose their teeny, tiny minds.

It would be nothing short of UNC telling the Kanes and Professor Croissants of the world to eat it. Just the thought of that happening is a beautiful thang.

Fed needs to get this done.
Brother, I would be right there with you. I might not leave crack ride for days.

BTW, this would guarantee that Thig comes home... no way Chizik comes without being able to pick his assistants.

Professor Croissant
Easily my favorite account name on Twitter. I crack up every time I see it.
laugh.r191677.gif

But yeah, Chizik + Thigpen would send some ripples through our fan base (the ones who pay attention, anyway).

The bleacher pee-ers might be too distracted to notice. They've got some decent recruiting mo going on right now. NC is seeing a lot of quality in-state kids commit locally this cycle.

This post was edited on 12/19 5:19 PM by Raising Heel

Professor Croissant
Easily my favorite account name on Twitter. I crack up every time I see it.
laugh.r191677.gif

But yeah, Chizik + Thigpen would send some ripples through our fan base (the ones who pay attention, anyway).

The bleacher pee-ers might be too distracted to notice. They've got some decent recruiting mo going on right now. NC is seeing a lot of quality in-state kids commit locally this cycle.

Umm, are you new to this? Wolpfies pay more attention to UNC than they do to state.
wink.r191677.gif

So how much better do you guys think Chizik/Durkin would make the D by next year? What about the year after that?

I would be VERY interested to see what next year's offense, if paired with a defense ranked somewhere in the 50's or 60's (my expectation) or even better could do. We'll get a huge jump in D rankings just because of ND, ECU, and Clem not being on the schedule. Turning around a defense in the ACC coastal isn't that difficult, if you can stop the run you can beat most teams pretty easily. I would definitely be picking Carolina to win the Coastal if Fed can get either of those guys. WIth an average to even slightly good defense, there wouldn't a non-winnable game on the schedule next year.

If Thig comes back we could be pulling top 10 recruiting classes pretty much right away, and the offense is already loaded. Thee staff can afford to commit some extra scholarships on the defensive side of the ball with the depth we have on offense, speeding up the turnaround even more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT