ADVERTISEMENT

Trubisky and QB depth

ACokeForRoy

Senior
Nov 12, 2014
Sandy Springs, Ga
I know Trubisky is the real deal but i'm concerned if he goes down. I don't have much faith in our backup. However I am intrigued by Logan Byrd. Any thoughts?

Caleb Henderson
Logan Byrd
Nathan Elliott
Chazz Surratt
Mannie Miles

I know Trubisky is the real deal but i'm concerned if he goes down. I don't have much faith in our backup. However I am intrigued by Logan Byrd. Any thoughts?

Caleb Henderson
Logan Byrd
Nathan Elliott
Chazz Surratt
Mannie Miles
You must not follow football very closely. Henderson was a 4* and Byrd and Surratt were both highly recruited.

You must not follow football very closely. Henderson was a 4* and Byrd and Surratt were both highly recruited.
Uh yes sir I am... I'm familiar with there ranking but they haven't seen any action. No word of Fed saying one of these guys would get any kind of rotation the way Mitch did last year. That is my concern. Rankings only get you so far. If Mitch goes down (hope he doesn't but its football) he can man the ship until he returns.. who can win a game in Mitch's absence.. Never question whether I follow football.. Its a fair question IMO and I haven't heard it discussed..

We are well set at QB for the future, unless at least a pair of guys transfer. I said from the moment that Henderson committed that I felt he could become the best passing QB we would have.

What is intriguing is the depth chart on Tar Heel Times has our #2 QB as Henderson or Nathan Elliott. A lot of people have overlooked Elliott, in part because he only played 3A football and was not any expert's top 3 or 4 TX QB in his class. But TX produces more top spread offense QB talent than any other 2, maybe 3, states combined. And Elliott is that prototypical TX coach's son QB: knows the game well inside out and is willing to do anything to help the team.

Byrd and Surratt bot had more HS hype than Elliott, but Elliott could be a better QB than both.

Reactions: tarheel0910
We are well set at QB for the future, unless at least a pair of guys transfer. I said from the moment that Henderson committed that I felt he could become the best passing QB we would have.

What is intriguing is the depth chart on Tar Heel Times has our #2 QB as Henderson or Nathan Elliott. A lot of people have overlooked Elliott, in part because he only played 3A football and was not any expert's top 3 or 4 TX QB in his class. But TX produces more top spread offense QB talent than any other 2, maybe 3, states combined. And Elliott is that prototypical TX coach's son QB: knows the game well inside out and is willing to do anything to help the team.

Byrd and Surratt bot had more HS hype than Elliott, but Elliott could be a better QB than both.
Ok cool so Elliott could be the guy. Interesting that the kid out of Butler in Charlotte is now listed as a wide receiver. Ratliff had a pretty good rep coming out of HS. I guess he saw the writing on the wall and just wanted to play.

Ratliff looked good in the spring game. Henderson looked bad in the spring game

Ok cool so Elliott could be the guy. Interesting that the kid out of Butler in Charlotte is now listed as a wide receiver. Ratliff had a pretty good rep coming out of HS. I guess he saw the writing on the wall and just wanted to play.

Wanting to play and probably wanting to play in the NFL have something to do with it is my guess.

Wanting to play and probably wanting to play in the NFL have something to do with it is my guess.
He is new to WR, and he is probably going to be on our 2 deep, and we are DEEP at WR. I'd say the sky is the limit for him. He'll learn this year and gain experience. Next year he could explode and be a star.

Uh yes sir I am... I'm familiar with there ranking but they haven't seen any action. No word of Fed saying one of these guys would get any kind of rotation the way Mitch did last year. That is my concern. Rankings only get you so far. If Mitch goes down (hope he doesn't but its football) he can man the ship until he returns.. who can win a game in Mitch's absence.. Never question whether I follow football.. Its a fair question IMO and I haven't heard it discussed..
Just my opinion but I expect Fed to get some game time reps for one of our backups when he can. I don't think it will be a predetermined rotation like we saw with Mitch but I think he knows that the backup is one play away from having to start and will get him some seasoning whenever feasible.

Woad beat me to it, watch for Nathan Elliott.

And Henderson had a nasty pick or two and looked shaky in the spring game. Maybe that is the reason for the depth chart having the 'or'. Any scoop on how they looked during spring outside of the spring game?

Reactions: jaluise
And Henderson had a nasty pick or two and looked shaky in the spring game. Maybe that is the reason for the depth chart having the 'or'. Any scoop on how they looked during spring outside of the spring game?
I was wondering the same thing. We have as much quality depth at QB as I can ever remember.

I imagine you know more about football than I do but Surratt seems to be perfectly suited for Fed's offense. Really looking forward to seeing Mitch in a starting role on 9/3 as well.
The beauty is basically every QB we have is perfectly suited for Fed's offense. Fedora puts heavy but equal emphasis on a QB being truly dual-threat. Fedora has stated in interviews that he never recruits a QB who can't effectively throw and effectively run. People assume that Trubisky is a "pass-first" QB who won't run nearly as much as Marquise, and I really don't know why they assume that other than that Mitch is white (I'm not trying to make it a race thing; basically everyone in sports assumes white QB = pass and black QB = run). Trubisky can tote the rock and is fast as all get out, so he's a perfect blend for the Fed Spread.

Moving down the depth chart, Henderson is a powerful runner as well as a quick one, so that combined with his arm makes him an ideal candidate for the Fed Spread. Elliott is a gunslinger and can chuck the ball all over the yard, but even he can run effectively (watch his high school tape). Logan Byrd runs like Marquise, with power and surprising speed once he gets to the next level (watch his tape, too), and then finally you have Surratt who has the athleticism and the arm needed.

All of these guys could get it done in the Fed Spread. Our recruiting at QB has been damn near flawless since Fedora took over. Damn near flawless. Nothing keeps your program healthy long-term like QB recruiting.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Here's Elliott's senior highlights:

Watch the first three minutes or so and you'll see why I've been pretty high on this dude ever since he committed. He makes two throws, one at the 1:12 mark and one at the 1:51 mark, that Marquise still couldn't complete as a senior....especially the latter of the two throws. You'll recognize it when you see it. Swing pass to the outside -- Marquise's Achilles heel.

Also, this is neither here nor there, but Elliott is one tan dude lol. Between that and the orange home and white away jerseys, he almost looks black. I had to triple check to make sure I was watching the correct film when I first watched this a couple years ago.

Here's Elliott's senior highlights:

Watch the first three minutes or so and you'll see why I've been pretty high on this dude ever since he committed. He makes two throws, one at the 1:12 mark and one at the 1:51 mark, that Marquise still couldn't complete as a senior....especially the latter of the two throws. You'll recognize it when you see it. Swing pass to the outside -- Marquise's Achilles heel.

Also, this is neither here nor there, but Elliott is one tan dude lol. Between that and the orange home and white away jerseys, he almost looks black. I had to triple check to make sure I was watching the correct film when I first watched this a couple years ago.
Maybe Ellliott's got a dose of American Indian in him.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
The beauty is basically every QB we have is perfectly suited for Fed's offense. Fedora puts heavy but equal emphasis on a QB being truly dual-threat. Fedora has stated in interviews that he never recruits a QB who can't effectively throw and effectively run. People assume that Trubisky is a "pass-first" QB who won't run nearly as much as Marquise, and I really don't know why they assume that other than that Mitch is white (I'm not trying to make it a race thing; basically everyone in sports assumes white QB = pass and black QB = run). Trubisky can tote the rock and is fast as all get out, so he's a perfect blend for the Fed Spread.

Moving down the depth chart, Henderson is a powerful runner as well as a quick one, so that combined with his arm makes him an ideal candidate for the Fed Spread. Elliott is a gunslinger and can chuck the ball all over the yard, but even he can run effectively (watch his high school tape). Logan Byrd runs like Marquise, with power and surprising speed once he gets to the next level (watch his tape, too), and then finally you have Surratt who has the athleticism and the arm needed.

All of these guys could get it done in the Fed Spread. Our recruiting at QB has been damn near flawless since Fedora took over. Damn near flawless. Nothing keeps your program healthy long-term like QB recruiting.
I think you have nailed them, and what we have done under Fedora in QB recruiting.

Byrd does have the ability to run with power like MW. If he is as spotty a passer as MW, then he can become an RB or wide body possession WR or TE for us. Surratt has all the athletic skills to be a top WR, like Ratliffe-Williams, so if he is not all there ate QB, then he can earn major PT for us by moving.

And Elliott just strikes me as another in a long line of TX QBs who simply are tough as can be, mentally as well as physically.

I think any of those 3 or Henderson could become a solid starting QB.

I think you have nailed them, and what we have done under Fedora in QB recruiting.

Byrd does have the ability to run with power like MW. If he is as spotty a passer as MW, then he can become an RB or wide body possession WR or TE for us. Surratt has all the athletic skills to be a top WR, like Ratliffe-Williams, so if he is not all there ate QB, then he can earn major PT for us by moving.

And Elliott just strikes me as another in a long line of TX QBs who simply are tough as can be, mentally as well as physically.

I think any of those 3 or Henderson could become a solid starting QB.
I think Logan Byrd would be a phenomenal receiving tight end or power running back. He is a huge dude and runs with power.

Here's his senior highlights. They show his passing skills first, and then at the 2:17 mark they show his ability as a runner. Keep watching and they show his ability to run with power. He looks so much like Marquise when he runs. He's a HUGE dude like Marquise was, and it doesn't look like he's moving very fast, but all of a sudden he clears into the second level and then he takes off and no one can catch him. He could absolutely be a running back in a spread offense.

I think Logan Byrd would be a phenomenal receiving tight end or power running back. He is a huge dude and runs with power.

Here's his senior highlights. They show his passing skills first, and then at the 2:17 mark they show his ability as a runner. Keep watching and they show his ability to run with power. He looks so much like Marquise when he runs. He's a HUGE dude like Marquise was, and it doesn't look like he's moving very fast, but all of a sudden he clears into the second level and then he takes off and no one can catch him. He could absolutely be a running back in a spread offense.

You're not old enough to have seen Ethan Horton run. He played QB in HS and wore #12 at UNC. He ran with amazing power.

Right now, we could be short at RB next year. Unless Byrd is killing it at QB this fall and early in Spring, we might want to see him get a shot at RB.

Never pass up a potential 1st rate RB, or WR, because he played QB in HS.

Reactions: Archer2
You're not old enough to have seen Ethan Horton run. He played QB in HS and wore #12 at UNC. He ran with amazing power.

Right now, we could be short at RB next year. Unless Byrd is killing it at QB this fall and early in Spring, we might want to see him get a shot at RB.

Yeah I wasn't born when Ethan Horton was in Chapel Hill. It would be so cool if high school film for old guys was readily available on the internet. Could you imagine seeing high school film of Lawrence Taylor or Ethan Horton or Choo Choo? That would be incredible.

As for Logan Byrd switching to RB or WR, I'm unsure of whether I want that or not yet. Asking kids to switch positions is tough -- not only is it tough to ask them to do it, it's also a potential major opportunity cost. What if you just asked the next (college version of) Vince Young to switch from QB to WR and you don't even know it?? That's why coaches get paid the big bucks, to make those calls.

Our current logjam at QB is fascinating to me. I honestly think Trubisky, Elliott, or Henderson could all start and lead us to a minimum of 7 games this season. Now obviously we have our sights set higher than that, but you get my point. We have three QBs (with more being groomed) that could start this season and lead us to a winning season. How many schools can say that? It fascinates me that none have transferred yet. I really want to see how this plays out.

Also, Woad, watch Byrd's film. Does his running not remind you of Marquise? It looks almost like a carbon copy.

I agree. A couple of the six QB's listed on the roster are going to get squeezed out by the numbers game, which leaves them the option of switching positions, transferring, or riding the pine. Byrd does look like a good possibility at RB or TE.

I agree. A couple of the six QB's listed on the roster are going to get squeezed out by the numbers game, which leaves them the option of switching positions, transferring, or riding the pine. Byrd does look like a good possibility at RB or TE.

Well, I would expect both Byrd and Surrat to redshirt. Still leaves a lot of QBs with Mitch having another year as a senior and presumably starting. But doubt there will be position changes this season or next.

Hopefully no transfers but that's definitely possible.

It's a good point. He looked pretty good in those senior highlights.

He looked very good. And one thing is certain, having this much quality depth at the crucial QB position is nothing but a good thing! Beats the devil out of the reverse situation.

Our skill positions are in good shape, we probably need another RB in case Hood leaves. And our OL and DB recruiting is going gangbusters. Now if we could just shore up the DL and the LB corp...

I thought she was 1/64th.
All the articles I've seen said she falsely claimed to be 1/32 Cherokee. This from Wikipedia:
"Warren herself represented that both her mother[34] and her Aunt Bea[35] were white on death certificates filed with the State of Oklahoma.

Initial claims by a genealogist in Boston that Warren was 1/32 Cherokee were withdrawn[36] as lacking evidence.[37] The Boston Globe had promoted the news that Warren was 1/32 Cherokee, but when the lack of evidence was discovered, The Boston Globe printed the correction in a section of the paper[38] unlikely to be noticed by the public.

All known evidence shows that Warren’s family always self-identified as white, and her great grandfather even was identified in local newspapers as white when it was reported that he shot an Indian.[39]"

Her great grandfather reportedly shot an Indian so perhaps to a Dem that qualifies her as 1/64. And I mean no offense to Indians by mentioning her claim to be of Native American descent. Never fear, she wasn't.

Last edited:
All the articles I've seen said she falsely claimed to be 1/32 Cherokee. This from Wikipedia:
"Warren herself represented that both her mother[34] and her Aunt Bea[35] were white on death certificates filed with the State of Oklahoma.

Initial claims by a genealogist in Boston that Warren was 1/32 Cherokee were withdrawn[36] as lacking evidence.[37] The Boston Globe had promoted the news that Warren was 1/32 Cherokee, but when the lack of evidence was discovered, The Boston Globe printed the correction in a section of the paper[38] unlikely to be noticed by the public.

All known evidence shows that Warren’s family always self-identified as white, and her great grandfather even was identified in local newspapers as white when it was reported that he shot an Indian.[39]"

Her great grandfather reportedly shot an Indian so perhaps to a Dem that qualifies her as 1/64. And I mean no offense to Indians by mentioning her claim to be of Native American descent. Never fear, she wasn't.

It would be an insult to Indians if she was 1/32 , 1/64th or 1/128th.

Reactions: Archer2
it isn't like she put native american on any application or anything. So questions of heritage didn't help her via affirmative action or anything like that. She herself said the chatter is just about family stories, and hasn't tried to claim being part of any nation or anything. So i'm curious, WTF does this have to do with Nathan Elliot, Hendo or anyone else on the team?

Guys. This is the first thread on Blitz besides the recruiting threads that has actually been good discussion. Let's not ruin it by talking politics, especially talking about Elizabeth Warren who no one gives a shit about.

Guys. This is the first thread on Blitz besides the recruiting threads that has actually been good discussion. Let's not ruin it by talking politics, especially talking about Elizabeth Warren who no one gives a shit about.
good point.

I saw Surratts entire high school career and he was a heck of a WR as a freshman. He played a little defense as well. He was the best player on the field when he did. He's very versatile so if QB is overstaffed, I could see him doing well at another position. WR would be my guess.

I saw Surratts entire high school career and he was a heck of a WR as a freshman. He played a little defense as well. He was the best player on the field when he did. He's very versatile so if QB is overstaffed, I could see him doing well at another position. WR would be my guess.
If some of our young WRs don't pan out, we could be in a bind, so it's good that Chazz could potentially play there. We've yet to have a truly elite WR in Fedora's time here -- it would be nice to finally get that, whoever it may be!

Sorry, someone mentioned his dark skin and Woad joked about him being part Indian. And I can't help but think of Warren every time I hear that phrase. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

I agree with you when you say we need to bolster our WR depth a little. Fed may never have had an elite WR, but Quinshad Davis was a very good receiver. Bug Howard and Switzer aren't too shabby either. If we'd had a QB who'd passed a little more and run a little less, their numbers would have perhaps been even more impressive. I think Mitch is that type of QB, a very solid running QB but one who can really spin the football.

BTW, Quinshad is coming on in the Lion's training camp and could possibly make the roster. If not, look for someone else to give him a chance. At 6-4/215, he has the frame to put on weight and possibly play tight end. I'm pulling for him.

Sorry, someone mentioned his dark skin and Woad joked about him being part Indian. And I can't help but think of Warren every time I hear that phrase. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

I agree with you when you say we need to bolster our WR depth a little. Fed may never have had an elite WR, but Quinshad Davis was a very good receiver. Bug Howard and Switzer aren't too shabby either. If we'd had a QB who'd passed a little more and run a little less, their numbers would have perhaps been even more impressive. I think Mitch is that type of QB, a very solid running QB but one who can really spin the football.

BTW, Quinshad is coming on in the Lion's training camp and could possibly make the roster. If not, look for someone else to give him a chance. At 6-4/215, he has the frame to put on weight and possibly play tight end. I'm pulling for him.

No elite WRs? What are people talking about? Did anyone watch last season?

One thing I really liked about our guys were their poise in actually catching the ball. It was always a surprise on those rare occasions they dropped a pass they should have caught.

This year, we may have the best WR corps in the nation. If that's not elite, at least on the college level, then what is?

No elite WRs? What are people talking about? Did anyone watch last season?

One thing I really liked about our guys were their poise in actually catching the ball. It was always a surprise on those rare occasions they dropped a pass they should have caught.

This year, we may have the best WR corps in the nation. If that's not elite, at least on the college level, then what is?
We have very good to great receivers who fit in to our offensive scheme very well. We do not have and have not had an elite WR. I'm talking elite. I'm not being negative whatsoever. I'm being honest and unbiased. Switzer and Bug and Mack are studs but they aren't truly elite.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but that's not my intention. I will admit that Mack and Switzer play like high 4* recruits, despite neither being ranked that high.

We have very good to great receivers who fit in to our offensive scheme very well. We do not have and have not had an elite WR. I'm talking elite. I'm not being negative whatsoever. I'm being honest and unbiased. Switzer and Bug and Mack are studs but they aren't truly elite.

I think they are for the college level, but the thing is what we want are guys that fit the offense and execute well. It's a very balanced offense. Not seeing how a more "elite" WR would perform much better or differently and really think maybe they are more elite than people think.

One reason Quinshad caught some people's attention after not being as highly rated is just something very basic, and that's actually catching the ball consistently without dropping it. Our guys have shown a certain mental toughness in that respect.

I think they are for the college level, but the thing is what we want are guys that fit the offense and execute well. It's a very balanced offense. Not seeing how a more "elite" WR would perform much better or differently and really think maybe they are more elite than people think.

One reason Quinshad caught some people's attention after not being as highly rated is just something very basic, and that's actually catching the ball consistently without dropping it. Our guys have shown a certain mental toughness in that respect.
You raise a good point about our offense being balanced. I guess what I'm driving at is an all-world WR who is our go-to when we need to make a play (just tossing out names of elite college WRs that come to mind-- Mike Williams, Golden Tate, Dotson at TCU, Percy Harvin). But maybe that wouldn't mesh with our offense where we get lots of guys involved. Still, I down think it could hurt. It's why I was so hoping we would land Nate Craig-Myers. I was fascinated to see what a 5* heralded stud would look like in this offense, for better or for worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT