ADVERTISEMENT

Trubisky and QB depth

I think Randman makes a very good point regarding the balance of our offense. And frankly, I hope and think that it will remain so. I also agree that I wouldn't trade our receivers for any other group in the ACC.

1st team:
Mack Hollins
Ryan Switzer
Bug Howard

2nd team:
Jordan Fieulleteau
Austin Proehl
Juval Mollette

You raise a good point about our offense being balanced. I guess what I'm driving at is an all-world WR who is our go-to when we need to make a play (just tossing out names of elite college WRs that come to mind-- Mike Williams, Golden Tate, Dotson at TCU, Percy Harvin). But maybe that wouldn't mesh with our offense where we get lots of guys involved. Still, I down think it could hurt. It's why I was so hoping we would land Nate Craig-Myers. I was fascinated to see what a 5* heralded stud would look like in this offense, for better or for worse.

I was hoping to land Nate as well. Quinshad though was a go-to guy, and I will be interested to see how we use our TEs this season. We may see something a little different there.

But frankly, if our O-line blocks and holds up well, I think we run a lot more this season. Hood is going to be tough to stop if the O-line is good and they should be. Logan is a great back as well. I know we're very balanced and have great receivers but if you can run all day long, why not?

Obviously, the defense would adjust and of course we'd pass then but would love to see Logan with just as many carries, and Hood with 28-30 a game and just pound the defense.

I love an offense that is about 50-50, run and pass. I think our rushing offense will be predicated on more use of the running backs and less on the legs of our QB and I think that is a good thing. I'd like to see us establish Hood early in every game, force the defense to crowd the line to limit his yards, and then take advantage of that one on one coverage with our fine receivers.

Year before last, we had a major issue with giving up big yardage plays. We improved considerably in that area last year. This year, I'm anticipating a lot of big yardage plays by our guys.

I love an offense that is about 50-50, run and pass. I think our rushing offense will be predicated on more use of the running backs and less on the legs of our QB and I think that is a good thing. I'd like to see us establish Hood early in every game, force the defense to crowd the line to limit his yards, and then take advantage of that one on one coverage with our fine receivers.

Year before last, we had a major issue with giving up big yardage plays. We improved considerably in that area last year. This year, I'm anticipating a lot of big yardage plays by our guys.
Fedora's philosophy and desire is to have a 50-50 balance in run and pass, so that lines up with your wishes. I don't necessarily mind if we swing heavy pass or heavy run as long as it's effective. However, with respect to our QB using his legs, make no mistake, the QB read option is a staple of Fedora's offense, and that includes a necessity for The QB to effectively move the ball with his feet. It keeps the defense honest which helps the running back and the play action passing game. I have no doubt Trubisky will excel with his arm and his legs.

@randman1 I don't think there's any chance Hood gets 30 carries a game. Our offense is too balanced for that. I expect him to be at about 18-20 carries a game. He averaged 19 carries a game last season and his season high was 21 against UVA and NC State.

Oh, I agree that Mitch will surprise some of our fans with his ability to scramble. He's not the power runner that Quise was and I think we see him slide rather than try to punish tacklers like Quise did. But that's exactly what I want him to do. And I think he'll be a more accurate passer.

Oh, I agree that Mitch will surprise some of our fans with his ability to scramble. He's not the power runner that Quise was and I think we see him slide rather than try to punish tacklers like Quise did. But that's exactly what I want him to do. And I think he'll be a more accurate passer.
Agree on him protecting himself on runs and on being a more accurate passer than Marquise. Marquise's teammates LOVED him but all the guys are admitting in various interviews that Mitch throws a more accurate and more catchable ball.

Agree on him protecting himself on runs and on being a more accurate passer than Marquise. Marquise's teammates LOVED him but all the guys are admitting in various interviews that Mitch throws a more accurate and more catchable ball.
Quise had footwork problems at times and would wind up throwing off his back foot. His weakness was the touch passes where he had to loft the ball over a linebacker or even just dump the ball off in the flat to a wide open back. When your QB goes through his progressions and your back is wide open in the flat with plenty of room to move the chains, it drives you crazy when he throws it into the dirt. look for Mitch to complete a higher percentage of those passes. I've heard he throws a nice long ball but that is touch on finesse passes is very good.

i have been an avid carolina football fan since 1966 and i can tell you without the slightest doubt that this is the most talented offense carolina have EVER fielded!
Yes. My first Tar Heel Football game in person was 1967 the year I turned 8. We have had some talented offensive players but never as talented an offensive team.

Yes. My first Tar Heel Football game in person was 1967 the year I turned 8. We have had some talented offensive players but never as talented an offensive team.
my first carolina football game was on 11/5/65, which carolina won 17-13 (ain't google great?). i was a 13 year old 7th grader at guy b. phillips junior high. my dad was a grad student at unc and one of his professors gave us some tickets. very exciting game that came down to the last play -- i was hooked!

my first carolina football game was on 11/5/65, which carolina won 17-13 (ain't google great?). i was a 13 year old 7th grader at guy b. phillips junior high. my dad was a grad student at unc and one of his professors gave us some tickets. very exciting game that came down to the last play -- i was hooked!
unfortunately mine was a loss to Wake(of all teams). I've never forgotten the score but had to verify the year 1967 Heels won 2 games. Dooley had cleaned house and gotten rid of the guys who didn't have football as a priority.

unfortunately mine was a loss to Wake(of all teams). I've never forgotten the score but had to verify the year 1967 Heels won 2 games. Dooley had cleaned house and gotten rid of the guys who didn't have football as a priority.
Dooley was what everybody pointed to when Mack came in and posted back to back 1-10 teams. Dooley cleaned house, costing the team depth and experience, and it hurt a little for 2 years, guaranteeing losing seasons.

And then the corner had been turned, and the Heels were ready to roll.

Heckendorf is still saying that the #2 QB is a fight between Henderson and Elliott.

Never overlook a Texas QB, especially when he is a coach's son and it is a spread offense.
Looks like Elliott is going to win that battle.

Looks like Elliott is going to win that battle.
Woah really? Haven't heard that.

However, when Elliott first committed, I had a really good gut feeling about him and posted it on premium. Would not be surprised at all if he wins the backup job.

ETA: well....easier to win a position battle when one guy quits.

Woah really? Haven't heard that.

However, when Elliott first committed, I had a really good gut feeling about him and posted it on premium. Would not be surprised at all if he wins the backup job.

ETA: well....easier to win a position battle when one guy quits.
What does the last line mean? Who quit?

Caleb Henderson left the team. Premium content.
Yep it is. I apologize. I woke up and saw the news and figured SOMEONE had tweeted it out somewhere. But still I'm not seeing it anywhere. I'd go back and edit my post but HeelFan quoted the important portion and that wouldn't make it disappear.

Yep it is. I apologize. I woke up and saw the news and figured SOMEONE had tweeted it out somewhere. But still I'm not seeing it anywhere. I'd go back and edit my post but HeelFan quoted the important portion and that wouldn't make it disappear.
Sorry THN11. I don't understand why that would be premi because it will be all over twitter. You can also see it on the topic header when you go to forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC '92
To help answer question of a go to receiver.... I would guess this year in crucial situations that Mitch will be looking a lot for #82(Fritts)

Sorry THN11. I don't understand why that would be premi because it will be all over twitter. You can also see it on the topic header when you go to forums.
You're right. I'm not with it this morning lol (blame the bourbon). THI tweeted it early this morning so it's fine bringing it here.

Henderson leaving is a bit of a surprise. I mean even per Fedora, as of Thursday neither had separated themselves yet. I wonder if something happened in Friday's practice to make Henderson think he was going to drop behind Elliot? Or could he have been mulling for some time the depth situation in regards to his future and thinks (or knows) his chances would be more certain elsewhere? I certainly hope it's one of the two and nothing more serious such as a family situation. I wish the kid the best of luck.

Henderson is from up here in NOVA and I am also surprised at this news. Fedora was non committal the other day as to the #2 QB....well I guess this solves that issue.

Good luck to the youngster wherever he ends up.

Reactions: Archer2
Henderson is from up here in NOVA and I am also surprised at this news. Fedora was non committal the other day as to the #2 QB....well I guess this solves that issue.

Good luck to the youngster wherever he ends up.
This may be a harsh statement given who he had in front of him, but Henderson never excelled enough -- relative to his high recruiting ranking -- to make a name for himself here. I'm not just saying that because he's gone. This year alone, he had all spring and almost 2/3rds of fall camp to establish himself as the backup. Furthermore, he got actual game time last year and Elliott did not (to preserve Nathan's redshirt). He was given every chance to assume the role as the backup QB and he didn't. Personally, I'd like to believe that has more to do with Elliott's performance than Henderson's lack of performance.

I wish Caleb all the best and harbor no ill will for him leaving. QB is a cut-throat position if you're not the starter. By transferring now, he'll have two more years of eligibility if he goes FBS or three more years of eligibility and will be immediately eligible if he goes FCS.

Reactions: Archer2 and UNC '92
Statement on the front page from the family says it was due to family. Apparently his mom has some health issues and he wanted to be closer to her. Regardless of whether or not he was struggling to win the #2 spot, can't really blame a kid for wanting to be closer to his mother if she is having health issues.

I love football as much as anyone, but it isn't life and a family member who is sick it way more important than football, IMHO. Best of luck to Caleb and I pray his mom gets better soon.

Henderson easily could end up as a starter on a P5 team and do well. That said, if Elliott keeps both Byrd and Surratt at bay and starts 2 years following Trubisky, I will not be surprised in the least. TX is easily the king state for spread QBs, and Elliott is also the son of a coach. He already is mentally prepared, and he has the hard working ideal attitude.

Statement on the front page from the family says it was due to family. Apparently his mom has some health issues and he wanted to be closer to her. Regardless of whether or not he was struggling to win the #2 spot, can't really blame a kid for wanting to be closer to his mother if she is having health issues.

I love football as much as anyone, but it isn't life and a family member who is sick it way more important than football, IMHO. Best of luck to Caleb and I pray his mom gets better soon.
The NCAA should rule him eligible to transfer for family health issues anywhere and play now. I assume it also means he can go in conference with no restrictions. if so, we might see him in a UVA or VT uniform.

Reactions: Littlejon
The NCAA should rule him eligible to transfer for family health issues anywhere and play now. I assume it also means he can go in conference with no restrictions. if so, we might see him in a UVA or VT uniform.
What the NCAA *should* do and what they *actually* do are much different things. Even if he goes FCS, I can think of a school where we'd still see him this year..

Reactions: tarheel0910
not sure what anyone would be looking for in an "elite" receiver but they don't come any better than Art Monk (Syracuse, then the Redskins), who is in the NFL's Canton Hall for a reason...

like Wayne Gretzky he never finished first in any of the individual measurable skills but the complete package was what mattered...

if he doesn't qualify as "elite" then it isn't worth achieving...

and when he scored a touchdown (a fairly common occurrence), he quietly handed the ball to the closest ref, acting as if he had been there before...

like many of you I go back a ways with Tar Heel Football (time of Ken Willard and Chris Hanburger)...

I cannot remember a UNC offense better than this one...

wish we had the '96-'97 defense with it, or just picking a couple of players LT and JP, but it doesn't work that way...

so I have to trust LF and GC to take care of business...

Edit: just noticed my status as "sophomore" although it shows I've been a member of the board for a while, kinda' like my career @ UNC - first accepted in '63 to start in the fall of '64 and took 20 years to get that degree in the summer of '84... same day as my Dad's 45th reunion - he was so happy I don't think his feet touched the ground all day, today he watches his Heels from on high...

one thing for sure, I saw a lot of great athletes up close and personal...

so, yeah, I'm a sophomore 12 years in...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT