ADVERTISEMENT

Trubisky and QB depth

I thought Elliot played last year. There were a couple of games last year that a 3rd QB played wasn't there??

like many of you I go back a ways with Tar Heel Football (time of Ken Willard and Chris Hanburger)...

I cannot remember a UNC offense better than this one...

wish we had the '96-'97 defense with it, or just picking a couple of players LT and JP, but it doesn't work that way...

so I have to trust LF and GC to take care of business...

Edit: just noticed my status as "sophomore" although it shows I've been a member of the board for a while, kinda' like my career @ UNC - first accepted in '63 to start in the fall of '64 and took 20 years to get that degree in the summer of '84... same day as my Dad's 45th reunion - he was so happy I don't think his feet touched the ground all day, today he watches his Heels from on high...

one thing for sure, I saw a lot of great athletes up close and personal...

so, yeah, I'm a sophomore 12 years in...
You need to post more , you have a great perspective. Danny Talbott told me that Willard couldn't play defense worth a crap , those were great days when there wasn't unlimited subbing. Frank Howard said when they went to unlimited subbing that it was chicken shat football. My dad told me about the Justice years , he said Justice was a rock star(not his words).

Was he really all that great... All this talk about being a p5 starter and stuff? Hid spring was bad. A scrimmage highlight shows s horrible ball of his being picked. He was an early spring enrollee but still couldn't hold off Elliot...

I did hear he was awesome locker room person. Great guy, good leader, hard worker, all that stuff.

Kid wanted to be near his mom while she's sick. Can't blame him one iota for that. I'm sure we all wish his mom a speedy recovery and that he finds a new school where he can have success.

As far as QB competition, I imagine it's very fierce. While Mitch is the obvious incumbent, and I believe a star in the making, I've never seen a UNC team with such a wealth of talent at that position. I was telling a fellow Tar Heel fan a month or two ago that I would be surprised if at least one of our QB's didn't switch positions or transfer because we had so much quality depth there. Even without Henderson, we're loaded at that position. I love the potential of both our young lefties, Elliott and Surratt.

i respect henderson's decision and i wish him success (unless he plays against the heels)

Was he really all that great... All this talk about being a p5 starter and stuff? Hid spring was bad. A scrimmage highlight shows s horrible ball of his being picked. He was an early spring enrollee but still couldn't hold off Elliot...
It is possible a horrible spring, worse than he had in spring of 2015, was due in part, perhaps large part, to his mind on his mother's health.

I don't say that to take away anything from Elliott, whose rise is no surprise to me. I say it because a young man focused on family health issues easily could have his entire spring derailed.

I think there's multiple parts to this equation.

Was he really all that great...All this talk about being a P5 starter and stuff?
Look at the context. He was behind Marquise Williams (QB of the most prolific offense in UNC's history) and Mitch Trubisky (heir-apparent to the most prolific offense in UNC's history and expected to not miss much of a beat). So, when you look at it that way, it's not like Henderson couldn't make QB2 at Wake Forest or Purdue. This is a hyper-elite offense. Henderson definitely could cut it at another P5 program. Furthermore, QB is a position that needs consistent reps. He'd get that at another school.

He was an early spring enrollee but still couldn't hold off Elliott
I think you could possibly be selling Elliott short here. Yes, it could be that Henderson failing to win QB2 is more a reflection on his struggles than a reflection on Elliott's success, but I don't think that's true. I've heard nothing but good things about Nathan and I look forward to seeing him take the field some this season.

You need to post more , you have a great perspective. Danny Talbott told me that Willard couldn't play defense worth a crap , those were great days when there wasn't unlimited subbing. Frank Howard said when they went to unlimited subbing that it was chicken shat football. My dad told me about the Justice years , he said Justice was a rock star(not his words).

interesting that you mention Talbott whose other sport was baseball (and freshman basketball), as was Ken Willard's, although I don't know if they were ever on a baseball field together at UNC, Talbott played both sports professionally, where Willard stuck with football...

there are legends about Willard's ability to hit the long ball which Mickey Mantle might have approved of but that was before Boshamer was built...

if Willard wasn't as keen on playing D, then he shared that with the legendary Jim Brown, which at least puts him in good company...

the game may have changed but both might be able to play today, Willard a big, tough as nails RB, and Talbott was a very athletic (mobile), QB...

interesting that you mention Talbott whose other sport was baseball (and freshman basketball), as was Ken Willard's, although I don't know if they were ever on a baseball field together at UNC, Talbott played both sports professionally, where Willard stuck with football...

there are legends about Willard's ability to hit the long ball which Mickey Mantle might have approved of but that was before Boshamer was built...

if Willard wasn't as keen on playing D, then he shared that with the legendary Jim Brown, which at least puts him in good company...

the game may have changed but both might be able to play today, Willard a big, tough as nails RB, and Talbott was a very athletic (mobile), QB...
I was told Talbott and Dean didn't hit it off. The alleged reason was Dean didn't want someone who was a multi-sport player.

I was told Talbott and Dean didn't hit it off. The alleged reason was Dean didn't want someone who was a multi-sport player.

perhaps, but I don't know how anyone would be able to play both full-time basketball and Football and carry a course load although Ronald Curry and Julius Peppers managed it, so I guess there is precedent...

fwiw, Jim Brown was the All American goalie in lacrosse while at Syracuse (and I believe his scholarship was in that sport although you can't get away with that anymore)...

two sports, Football and anything else, would seem to be a max so I don't think Talbott could have carried three, although I guess he did as a freshman...

Well as I suspected, Caleb is heading to Maryland. The move makes sense from a football as well as personal standpoint.

Well as I suspected, Caleb is heading to Maryland. The move makes sense from a football as well as personal standpoint.
Big Ten football - yippee.

But it gets him close to home and with a new staff not set on a QB for the future.

Fedora on Henderson and Elliott:

On Caleb Henderson leaving UNC:

"I didn't see it coming. I wish the best for him. I hope it all works out for him. He was a great kid. I loved him and I still love him and hope for the best for him."

On what Nathan Elliott did to earn the back-up role last week:

"He was consistent. He was taking care of the football. He wasn't turning it over. You know all the things we need from a quarterback."

Fedora on Henderson and Elliott:

On Caleb Henderson leaving UNC:

"I didn't see it coming. I wish the best for him. I hope it all works out for him. He was a great kid. I loved him and I still love him and hope for the best for him."

On what Nathan Elliott did to earn the back-up role last week:

"He was consistent. He was taking care of the football. He wasn't turning it over. You know all the things we need from a quarterback."
Elliott is a coach's son QB. He already has a lifetime of being forced to master fundamentals, to do everything exactly right, to take care of every little detail every play.

And he's a Texas Friday Night Lights scapper. All of that is the reason I said last fall that if he could not make it as a QB for us, he should be moved to WR or safety or punt returner or something. Because he is the type high football IQ warrior you want and need getting PT.

Elliott is a coach's son QB. He already has a lifetime of being forced to master fundamentals, to do everything exactly right, to take care of every little detail every play.

And he's a Texas Friday Night Lights scapper. All of that is the reason I said last fall that if he could not make it as a QB for us, he should be moved to WR or safety or punt returner or something. Because he is the type high football IQ warrior you want and need getting PT.
Just playing Devil's Advocate but Henderson was a coach's son too (at least I *think* his dad coach. I know his dad played at Rhode Island).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT